ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

Beginner grill = Weber Kettle
Easy call. Best overall grill ever.

Ha. Akaushi ribeye and strip were amazing. Crushed it. Shew. That ribeye was almost toooooo savory. I'm not one to say "where can you find the best steak in lex? my grill!!" BUT damn I'm cooking it better than most places. Adding a good amount of paprika to to the dust, props to Tony's, to set the perfect bark/crust was a really good call. Been adding more season than I feel comfortable with but damn the results have been sick.

So you don't add the butter to start? Weird. I'll call Ruth and Del Frisco's tomorrow and let them know. Jesus, folks. there is a certain level of proficiency expected in this thread. We realize butter will burn and you shouldn't drown a steak in beer. If we're smoking things we've got the grilling basics down pretty well.

Also, as an aside in that vid where bbdk posted of gordon cooking the steak he said don't move the steak around. You've posted multiple times you move your steaks multiple times, correct? Who is right, you or him?

Look I'm not going to argue with Gordon Ramsey, obviously he's one of the best in the world but at least I do have some vindication in one of the other best in the world. J Kenji in the food lab saying, "Flip your meat as often as you like (the whole thing about only flipping once is utter nonsense, and we can prove it.)"

^So thats at least really great food mind agreeing with my method and not some random site saying pour Busch Light on your steak.

Also, I'm not going to follow a English chef to the death... fact is English food is pure shit.

Look I'm not going to argue with Gordon Ramsey, obviously he's one of the best in the world but at least I do have some vindication in one of the other best in the world. J Kenji in the food lab saying, "Flip your meat as often as you like (the whole thing about only flipping once is utter nonsense, and we can prove it.)"

^So thats at least really great food mind agreeing with my method and not some random site saying pour Busch Light on your steak.

Also, I'm not going to follow a English chef to the death... fact is English food is pure shit.
Hey I'm with you, I flip multiple times. My comment was just more a rebuttal to you and gravy neck lumping me in with Kraft KAT.

Hmm, didn't know I did that.
Jesus, folks. there is a certain level of proficiency expected in this thread. We realize butter will burn and you shouldn't drown a steak in beer. If we're smoking things we've got the grilling basics down pretty well.

Ha no big deal. I just was making a comment about butter having a low smoke temp and next thing I know I'm being called a jackass with krazykat. Also a lot of the "butter" being used by high end steakhouses is clarified butter which has a higher smoke temp closer to 500.

When you're brining steaks with beer I'll put you there. Butter is actually not a bad smoke temp but if you've tried you know putting it later in the cook works best because most of us aren't trying to clarify butter.

Burgers Market

Carry on

That is it. Does anyone know if still in business? they did amazing job for us. No idea is their steaks etc are good, our customers loved them.

Due to this thread, I'm going to get a grill this weekend. Someone suggested Weber kettle. Can you get those most places? Home Depot, Target? What charcoal/accessories would you recommend too?

Love seafood/veggies (obviously steaks)...any recommendation welcomed on how to cook.

TIA

When you're brining steaks with beer I'll put you there. Butter is actually not a bad smoke temp but if you've tried you know putting it later in the cook works best because most of us aren't trying to clarify butter.

I don't disagree that's it's wonderful for topping/finishing/mixing on a steak. And I completeley agree with the clowning of krazykat for his take on putting beer on a steak for a couple of minutes. Onward and upward, cheers.

Like others have said, go for the weber kettle/dome. Cheap and easy.

As for butter, I always use it in steaks on the BGE. I cook at about 550/650 and hit them twice with butter. You get some small flare ups but nothing that isn't manageable.

Seems silly but I've been using kerrygold, or whatever italian butter is available. Big Mo Cason, from pitmasters, uses it, they have a higher fat content, more natural, less preservatives, etc as American butter. We did some ribs, half spray butter(a lot of pros use this), half kerrygold. The kerrygold ribs were better. Could've been that particular rack was better but we all agreed they had a better taste and the ribs were bite through. No pull.

Got one of these for my birthday. Haven't fired it up yet. It may replace my cast skillet for steaks, I have my doubts.

81K0pB6cVjL._SX522_.jpg

Been marinating steak in beer for years. Never thought about doing it before I ate it.

Several variables involved as to whether I flip something once or multiple times.

Butter in iron skillet with fresh chopped garlic and onions until it foams. Then hit the ribeye/strip/ filet after the first sear, then the first flip. Turns out pretty good. You like the fat, this takes it up a notch.

Hi, will try to make this last request.

Purchased Weber/kettle 22 inch yesterday, got some accessories, they did not have a temperature gauge ( there was display dual for 99.00 was not doing that). Any recommendations on what/where to get for Weber?

Thank You.

Bought a packer brisket for $39 yesterday. First time I've seen one under $50 in a long time. Gonna give it a shot in a couple of weeks.

Bought a packer brisket for $39 yesterday. First time I've seen one under $50 in a long time. Gonna give it a shot in a couple of weeks.

Good luck. Brisket is a tough cook. Good thing you only dropped $39 bucks on this experiment. Document everything you're doing so you can dial in your routine.

It takes a super long time to do and it is ready when it's ready.

Aaron Franklin got skills.

Did some grilled salmon, light coat of oil so it didn't stick and tear apart, squeezed a little fresh lemon on it with each flip. Also made a lemon butter to top it with when done.

OT, but also did a ceviche. Diced tomatoes, Onions, avocado, cilantro and a very small pinch of parsley. Cooked 3/4 pound of tilapia in a small amount of oil and squeezed 3 limes. Mixed it all together and topped it with some lime juice too.

Wasn't bad, but wasn't the best, missed something but not sure what it was.

^
Thank You BH. I'll go search for it.

KrazyK: not sure which dish you're saying was just ok? Ceviche is typically raw fish, not cooked, if you marinate/cure it for 24 hrs in lime it is amazing. I love scallops, Basa is another white fish (cheap) but thick and not fishy at all... I use both, when making ceviche.

I love salmon, that sounds good. Try getting some Cedar planks...love cooking salmon/fish those grill or oven.

Makes sense, cooking it was probably the problem with the ceviche. It was off but I never tried making it before, always liked it when eating out and it seemed easy enough to make.

The Salmon was good.

Made nigiri last night. Took some Ahi, beer battered & fried til well done, cut into little circles with a squirt of sriracha mayo on a layer of sticky rice....bonkers.

Made stuffed pork tenderloin with spinach, blue cheese, Italian sausage and apples. Didn't sanw on me until it was too late that I typically cook my tenderloin to 145 internal and sausage has to go at least 20 degrees higher than that. Still good but the tenderloin was over. Made a meat ball with some scraps left over of sausage and tenderloin and that sucker was perfect.

The Akaushi meat was amazing, that butcher is really damn nice. Highly recommend.

Try it in a cast iron skillet with some olive oil and butter, cover in Zatarains blackened seasoning. 3 minutes a side, money.

Also good on cedar planks on the grill with lemon pepper and some butter.

Your recipe is probably great done to flounder or skate.

I use the rule of thumb, if you can't catch the fish where you live, then it ain't fresh. I have never seen Tilapia caught in the northern Atlantic - so I'll stay away. Especially raw.

Tilapia, I've heard, is farm raised in China where the fish swim in their own waste.

Got one of these for my birthday. Haven't fired it up yet. It may replace my cast skillet for steaks, I have my doubts.

81K0pB6cVjL._SX522_.jpg

I hate my grill pan. I got one with deep sides so limit splatters some and hold more heat, but it basically just lets whatever fat comes out of the meat or marinade drop down in the ridges and burn. Smokes up the whole house, and is impossible to get clean without scouring off the seasoning after every cook. I pretty much only use it for grilling plain chicken and veggies when I am trying to keep off the winter weight gain and its too cold to grill outside. It even sucks cooking white meat chicken and veggies.

Was looking up some smoked shrimp recipes to try out this weekend, and saw a few that said to put your wood in a foil pouch with holes.

Anybody ever done this or have any idea why? I assume they mean when using wood chips, and the point of it is to not have all the wood smoke out at once?

^Same exact experience BB. Ours is buried at the bottom of out pans and never comes out. Standard cast iron is much better. For healthy chicken I've switched to oven convection roast with a little evoo/salt/pepper in a pyrex.

-I stay away from any non fresh wild caught fish. The tilapia farm at West 6th is pretty damn cool though.

-Smoked shrimp? Hmm. I'd say thats a really tender process to keep them from getting rubbery and absorbing too much smoke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT