ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking and Grilling Thread

I've been using an XL BGE since May. I love it. I've used stick burners, kettles, large charcoal grills for years. The BGE has produced my best work.

I did a 17lb brisket about a month ago. 17 hrs/225. It was done at 3am. I preheated my oven to 170 and left it on for about an hour. I pulled the brisket from the egg and placed it in a large pan, covered in foil. I turned the oven off and then placed the brisket pan in the oven and then went to bed. I got up four hours later and got it out of the oven and sliced it. It was perfect.

You can get good results on a different grills, it's just easier on the egg. The temps stay insanely consistent. For the brisket, I ran at 220 to 230 for 17hrs. No additional wood, once I had it pegged, I tweaked the airflows a bit, but not much.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by buckethead1978:
OP is looking for some thermapen dealer to sell him one for $30
Ha! Definitely guilty of trying to find the best deal possible. Grill registered OK, by the way...

Christmas event cancelled tonight due to flu, so looks like I'll be breaking it in with the turkey breast tonight.

We need to try to keep this thread going. I know there's enough grilling/smoking enthusiasts on the Paddock to do so. Post pictures of your cooks/recipes/tips, etc...

I do agree you get good results on BGE. But, I must say the Jambo Economy pit is my preference.

Revers searing some filets for the first time tonight. Hopefully I don't f*ck them up.

Turkey turned out really well. Couple of notes re: the difference between the Primo and the Weber:

1. Primo was much quicker to come to temp. I was at 300 within 15 minutes of striking the paraffin cubes.
2. Controlling the temp within a given range was so much easier. Once I had it dialed in, I pretty well forgot about it. Whereas with the Weber, I needed to keep a closer eye on it and was fiddling with the exhaust valve every so often.
3. Nowhere near as much smoke billowing out of the grill. Means I'm not smelling like I've walked out of a forest fire after cooking.
4. Very little charcoal used. I was amazed at how much completely untouched, unburned charcoal was left in the grill when finished.

As of right now, couldn't be happier with the purchase. Anxious to do a longer cook on it to see how the temp holds over longer periods. Picked up a couple pork butts I'll be throwing on it this weekend. And I've got a brisket coming that I'll age in the fridge for a mid-January party. If this thread is still going, I'll report back after those...

B5qLCv5CEAIVfVP.jpg:large

And Merry Christmas folks...

This post was edited on 12/24 9:52 PM by Arthur Robinson

Charcoal is fine.

I use whatever I can get from Home Depot or Lowes for the most part. For normal and shorter duration smokes it's just fine. A few of us order Ozark once a year and I use that for long cooks, it's really long lasting. If you're looking for a ratings system for lump, Google Naked Wiz's lump charcoal database(serious).

I think BGE is overpriced but if it's the only high quality charcoal you can get in your area, then it's better than Cowboy in a pinch. Amazon Prime has a few options for good stuff.

Found Royal Oak lump at Walmart at Home Depot. Looks like that stuff gets really high marks on the database. Cheap too. Will try that when I'm out of the Primo.

I think they recently took over a lot of the store branded lines. Royal is fine. Might not get a 24-26 hour burn but how often are you really going to need that?

I use Royal Oak quite often. Apparently it is the exact same as the BGE lump, just in a different package. I've also used Frontier some this winter. Got it from Sams. Would not recommend. Lots of sparks.

I got a Thermapen from my wife for Christmas! She read my mind.

UK Blue of course.

She likes my cooking very much apparently.

I've been buying the Royal Oak at Home Depot. It seems to get hotter, easier for searing steaks at 550 to 700.

I tried a brand from Lowes, can't remember the name. It just wouldn't get very hot.

It's a little bit of laziness because there is a home depot about a mile from my house and the BGE takes a special trip to go get.

Can't let this thread die.

Anybody ever tried a China box? They look pretty fun, might be something neat to play around with since they're not very expensive.

la-caja-china-gear-patrol.jpg

Meat goes down inside the box, and the coals go on top.

DSCN2748_zps7114ac73.jpg

You can also grill on top of the coals, even while your other stuff is slow cooking inside the box.

img_0727.jpg

We did a whole pig back in November in the La Caja China box. It was...awesome.

90lb pig took about 5 hours. It was succulent to say the least. Not as much smoke as other methods but it was still tasty. Cleaning the fat and liquid out of it was a pain but worth it.

Originally posted by Arthur Robinson:
Found Royal Oak lump at Walmart at Home Depot. Looks like that stuff gets really high marks on the database. Cheap too. Will try that when I'm out of the Primo.
I've tried two bags of both Royal Oak and Primo and I prefer the Primo brand, but I'm not sure the Primo brand is worth the price difference.

My Dad isn't quite ready to make the full investment for a Big Green Egg, but he did find this at Sam's yesterday on sale for $199.00.

9004_10203564451453472_8405943131770627836_n.jpg

Grilled a pork tenderloin on it last night, and turned out really well. Pretty amazing for the price.

I'm still working on the huge bag of BGE Brand Lump that came with my Egg.

Question: Do you 'top off' your leftover charcoal each time so that it's basically full when you start, or just re-use whatever is left in there if it's still a decent (maybe half) amount, if you aren't doing a super long cook?

Housewarmings actually sells "The Good One" brand now in 20lb bags. Pretty happy with it. Easy the least ash producing brand I've tried. Lights fine and burns ok. Haven't tried it on a long cook yet. I just like having 20lb bags around b/c in the summer I'll blow through a 10lb in no time.

That Ozark was the best though and the Wicked good would burn crazy hot. Wish those were more available around here.

I add a layer, not top off, and clean out as mush ash as I can every time. Keeping the ash out is one of the keys to a quick light and clean burn.

Spatch-cocked an Indian Chicken last night, Marinated in Yogurt/Curry/Cardamom/Masala/etc....

Turned out unreal, but I had to make a mid-cook adjustment. B/c of the 'wet' marinade/rub, my fire was going crazy and smoking out the wazoo.

...ended up putting a foil drip pan on the grid, and the bird atop the Grid-extender. I guess that took away from the 'direct' cooking nature a bit, but I didn't know any other way to keep my drippings from igniting the fire and burning/smoking the shit out of it...never had an issue in the past b/c I typically go dry-rub. Was that my best/only solution?

Still don't understand wtf that 'Spider' Anth talks about is for, and nobody I ask about it has ever even heard of it.
confused0024.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/26 1:46 PM by B.B.d.K.

With my adjustable rig I do raised on almost all meats other than steak where I want a good sear.

I go raised especially delicate meats that cook fast or have a lot of fat. Burgers, chicken, wings, tenderloin, etc. Even some thin cuts that you commonly over cook. It's kind of like going indirect to control your internal temp but allows you still get the benefits of direct flame.

Spider: Can use a small grate to get right on top of the fire for serious searing, turn upside down for wok, set cast iron or dutch ovens on, use for indirect by putting a pizza stone on and increasing space b/c plate setters are so bulky. Pretty simple really. For as cheap as it is I use it and the rig as much as I use a spatula or thermopen.

Adjustable grill - add serious grid space or raised cooks.

Benefits of Adjustable rig and Spider

I had it raised from start...used 2 sets of tongs & gloves to slightly raise the grid + extender up just enough for my wife to slide a drip pan in between the grid/extender.

Do you ever use a drip pan on the actual grid if you aren't using a platesetter? Just seems that would take away the entire premise of 'direct' cooking.

Don't guess the flames would be a problem for burgers, etc...but I didn't feel like I had a choice doing a whole chicken for an hour+. It was getting charred after 15 minutes, even up top on the Raised Grid.

This post was edited on 1/26 1:59 PM by B.B.d.K.

After further research, I didn't realize the 'Adjustable Rig' and the "Grid Extender' were two separate things entirely...

You told me the 'Grid Extender' should be my first purchase, so it was...seems like a waste of money compared to the Adjustable Rig setup.

Not really that I can recall as a drip pan is essentially making it indirect as you said.

If I had to guess you probably needed to let the fire settle in a bit. On long cooks I like it to regulate at least 30 minutes before cooking. Maybe it was getting too much air + the fat rendering and that was too much. At 350-425 I'd have the bottom basically open an inch or less and the pin will open covering the hole completely. (sidenote: I believe they have some charts out there for newbies that give you a good reference to how to adjust the dampers for specific temps.)

Not a huge deal though. Like you said it still worked out fine and improvising is the best part. It's how you find new techniques. Sometimes they don't turn out other times you find something useful. I've cooked indirect chicken tons. I typically finish it over a full flame though to char the skin.

Originally posted by anthonys735:

Not a huge deal though. Like you said it still worked out fine and improvising is the best part. It's how you find new techniques. Sometimes they don't turn out other times you find something useful. I've cooked indirect chicken tons. I typically finish it over a full flame though to char the skin.

^ the only part I don't like so much about the BGE compared to my Weber. I feel like you basically have to take the entire thing apart to make any major changes (add wood, change from direct/indirect, etc), which is pretty damn difficult when everything is scalding hot.

Looks like some of the Adjustable Rig setups may help with that.

This post was edited on 1/26 2:16 PM by B.B.d.K.

Originally posted by B.B.d.K.:
After further research, I didn't realize the 'Adjustable Rig' and the "Grid Extender' were two separate things entirely...

You told me the 'Grid Extender' should be my first purchase, so it was...seems like a waste of money compared to the Adjustable Rig setup.
Any grid extender will work, sent you the link for it. I think they'll work together as well. Plus I'm sure if you get an Adj Rig you'll prefer the extender for certain cooks.

I just prefer the AdjRig.

BGE'-ing is like golf, bubs. There's no limit to the accessories and shit you can buy for them and it's all relatively expensive but will at least get used.

I tell everyone the items you must have are: Plate setter, pizza stone, spider, adjustable rig or extender, coal rake. The pizza stone will take the place of a setter if you have a spider. Probably need a few extra grates if you get a rig. I have 1 extra full and a half moon that comes in handy when I'm doing something like steaks and chicken or steaks and veggies that cook at different speeds and temps.

I'm just impatient. I love this thing, and am already seeing it's power (Pegged out on a steak the other night, best sear I've ever gotten at home in my life, and it was only my first attempt)...oh, and would have caught my hair on fire several times if I had any w/ the whole burping deal. Hell, I've even burped it a few time and STILL been scared by the backdraft.

...on the flip side, still can't get used to it maintaining temp *perfectly* for the duration of an entire cook once you get it stabilized. Still bizarre to me. I'm in the habit of walking outside every 15 minutes to "check on things", make adjustments, add chips, add charcoal, adjust dampers, etc....almost disappointing to walk out there and see it holding steady.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Thing is impressive

Mainly Just hate re-learning shit...spent 2 summers 'mastering' my Weber, and feel like I'm starting all over. The premise is the same, but it's almost entirely different in terms of operating.

This post was edited on 1/26 12:23 PM by B.B.d.K.

This is true. But yeah if you don't have another grill top then a pair of thick gloves is mandatory.

Did you keep your Weber? I would have, I love Webers. Functionally, like you said for some cooks they're just better. I don't have a problem admitting that.

Also rather than a second egg I kind of wish I has a cheapo gas burner to do the things like crisp the skin, cook corn, veggies etc. Might do something like that in the remodel.

Definitely. It's right beside the egg...imagine I'll use it for finishing things as you mentioned, doing my veggies/sides, etc. No plans at all to ever get rid of it.

...and have a Huge 4-burner Charbroil Gas grill right next to the Weber.
ohwell.r191677.gif
--haven't fired it up since I got the Weber, and think I'd feel guilty if I did at this point. Probably set it out on the street sometime soon, but for now I use it as my 'Table' to set things on when I'm grilling on the others.

^ the only part I don't like so much about the BGE compared to my Weber. I feel like you basically have to take the entire thing apart to make any major changes (add wood, change from direct/indirect, etc), which is pretty damn difficult when everything is scalding hot.

Looks like some of the Adjustable Rig setups may help with that.

It won't take you long to figure out what is going to happen before it does. I found out a couple of painful lessons the hard way, but you are not that stupid. I never make a change after I close the lid for a cook, other than adjust the temperature a little.

I use Cowboy most of the time just because it is the easiest for me to find. I have a medium egg so I'm not cooking for 24 hours anyway. Cowboy gets plenty hot enough and there isn't as much ash as some of the others I've tried.

Talked with a dealer on Sat. who told me he could fix me up with a large bge for around 700 to 750. Gonna pull the trigger on that when it gets warm enough for me to build a new table for it. Don't know if I'm going for a separate table, or building a big one for both eggs. First world problem.

Depends on what I plan on cooking whether I clean out the old charcoal or not. I always stir it up and get most of the ash to fall through the grate. Never start a long cook without cleaning all old charcoal and ash out of it though.

Answer to Q:

I found when doing a short cook, it's good to not only clear out the small leftover pebbles of lump because it :

A) restricts airflow that big chunks allow.
B) you won't get super high temps because of no air
C) I tend to clean out all ash prior to every cook. Takes 2 minutes with shop vac. Save pieces bigger than 2 inches.

Go halfway full with big chunks in a clean egg for short cooks (>3 hours).

It has been my experience to get the most accurate temps, you need to clean the crap out of the bottom and side ventilation holes.

I didn't even know those existed because the ash compacts perfectly flush.

That's pretty much the big benefit the Primo has over the BGE. It's an oval shape, which allows all of the pieces (grate, heat deflectors, drip pan holders, etc) to be in 2 pieces. Essentially allows you to have the direct on one side, indirect on the other setup.

I've enjoyed the hell out of my Primo. As with the BGE, I can't get over the minimal amount of fuel it uses. On my first bag of Primo lump, I've cooked 2 pork butts, a whole packer brisket, country style ribs, burgers, bacon (made my own from fresh belly), chicken leg quarters, and a turkey breast. All different cooks. And I still have about 3/4 of a load in the grill. I bought a bag of Royal Oak to try it out. Hoping to get similar results. With the Weber, I'd damn near burn through a whole bag of Kingsford smoking 1 pork butt. Definitely be saving money on fuel now...

....spent 2 summers 'mastering' my Weber,...

This post was edited on 1/26 12:23 PM by B.B.d.K.
I've had an offset smoker for 10+ years and it finally bit the dust. Based on what I've seen in GYERO and these threads I got a 22.5" Weber. Wanted something to be able to travel with. Actually was in a backyard BBQ competition and one team had nothing but Webers. That said....got any sites you would recommend that are specific to the kettle?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT