ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

Various chilis, and I use less tomato than most. Also used a bottle of Guiness, iirc.

I much prefer a thicker/meatier chili as opposed to the "loaded tomato soup" versions many put out.

Still trying to find the recipe I used as my 'base'. Wish someone could dig up my lengthy/detailed post (step by step) of whatever I did.

It was from last fall/winter's Smoking/Grilling thread.

Made a small batch of my standard chili a couple of weeks ago when I smoked a few butts. Used half lean ground beef and half shredded/chopped pork. It was good, but almost too rich. Probably won't do it again unless someone, or I, find a recipe specifically for smoked meat.

I didn't use smoked meat.

...rather made it from start to finish in a dutch oven on the Weber over charcoal, before finishing with wood chips for an hour or two to impart a little smoke (you have to be careful)

good friend of mine that does competition BBQ gave me one of his old cabinet smokers. Fired it up at 2:30 Saturday morning. 2 boston butts, and a bunch of baby back ribs. I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of this. the butts took damn near 13 hours but it's the best pulled pork I've ever done.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
@anthonys735 saw you doing BGE wings...what's the setup?
Sorry man, just saw this.

I do 2 different styles.

Grilled indirect:
-Raised grid, 350, :45-1 hour
-marinate for a few hours to overnight in beer and spices
-homemade buffalo sauce = franks buffalo, siracha, 1 stick butter, liberal mount of blue cheese dressing, a lot of fresh grated parm, put in sauce pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
-coat wings with sauce and turn down heat for 5-10 minutes

Smoked indirect:
-multi level grids, 225, 2 hours+
-pecan or fruit wood added
-beer and spice marinade over night.
-heavy coat of spices before putting them on.
-a light addition of corn starch, very light, will make the skin very crispy.
-I do not sauce these. You could serve on the side if you want but it's not necessary.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Thank you. Will try.

I've been brining chicken thighs in buttermilk/salt/pepper & rub overnight.

Then I can't determine best way to crisp skin. Doing direct @300 for about 40 minutes

Or

Indirect @350 for about the same time. Use pecan wood for chicken.

It's great, but not perfect. I guess I'll have to just incinerate a batch to see where the tipping point is and work it backwards.

One night I just threw thighs on there and forgot about them and they were awesome... Problem was, I didn't document how I got there.

Anyone ever "smo-fried" a turkey? Smoked it for half and then fried it until done? How as it? As good as it sounds or does the process not really work? I may try it with just turkey breasts this week. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone ever "smo-fried" a turkey? Smoked it for half and then fried it until done? How as it? As good as it sounds or does the process not really work? I may try it with just turkey breasts this week. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Interested to hear how this turns out. Seems like any smoke flavoring would be canceled out by the frying.

Smoked two Boston butts on Sunday to have some BBQ around over the Holidays. Pulled the first one and everything great. Cut the bone out of the second one and immediately noticed that a section close to the bone had a brownish color and bad smell--rancid on the inside. Tossed the entire piece of meat.

Bought the meat only one day before, in the refrigerator the entire time until 5 minutes before I put it on the smoker. This is third time this has happened and I don't smoke that often. Major pain in the ass. Anyone have this happen very often and, if so---any suggestions as to what to look for and/or do to eliminate the chance of it happening again?

TIA.

Only time was with some pork loins. Took them back immediately. Before examining them the Kroger butcher tried to lecture me on pork having a pungent odor. ROLLEYES, not a rookie, pal. Then he opened the bag, swallowed his pride and replaced the two loins with new ones after the smell about knocked him down.

-Not smoking and grilling but probably going to make some sausage crostinis. Spicy italian sausage +2 italian cheeses + thinly sliced baguette + shredded parm on top + 400 for like 10 minutes + spoon marinara on when serving. Bliss.

Interested to hear how this turns out. Seems like any smoke flavoring would be canceled out by the frying.

Yea, yesterday I was asked to smoke a turkey for Christmas, and I was thinking about it and thought it would be interesting to try to cook it for about 2 hours and then fry it until cooked. Basically try to get some smoke flavor into it and then fry it to finish cooking and to really crisp up the skin. I've found some recipes of others doing it, but I am like you, I worry that the frying may destroy the flavor of the smoke.

Only time was with some pork loins. Took them back immediately. Before examining them the Kroger butcher tried to lecture me on pork having a pungent odor. ROLLEYES, not a rookie, pal. Then he opened the bag, swallowed his pride and replaced the two loins with new ones after the smell about knocked him down.
[roll]

Yea, yesterday I was asked to smoke a turkey for Christmas, and I was thinking about it and thought it would be interesting to try to cook it for about 2 hours and then fry it until cooked. Basically try to get some smoke flavor into it and then fry it to finish cooking and to really crisp up the skin. I've found some recipes of others doing it, but I am like you, I worry that the frying may destroy the flavor of the smoke.

When I do chicken wings I smoke them first, then deep fry to crisp them up. It works. I believe that is what County Club does with their wings as well.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
When I do chicken wings I smoke them first, then deep fry to crisp them up. It works. I believe that is what County Club does with their wings as well.

I haven't tried this yet, but that is what Knockback Nat's in downtown Cincy does and they are delicious. I also had some like this n Nashville on Broadway at the SECT last year. Also delicious.

I "smoke roast" my wings. I have a Weber Smoky Mountain. I remove the water pan so you are smoking around 350-375. The skin crisps up a little.

I have tried finishing them directly above the coals after smoking them, as well. The ones I was able to turn and remove quickly were great, but about 1/5 turned to charcoal.

A little dusting of cornstarch works wonders when smoking/grilling wings, and when done right can produce a crisp crunch almost akin to fried.

Did some last night, they were :fire:

I actually did some smo-fried wings for a tailgate a couple of weeks ago. They were pretty great.

A little dusting of cornstarch works wonders when smoking/grilling wings, and when done right can produce a crisp crunch almost akin to fried.

Did some last night, they were :fire:

This.

Also, I just don't see how you can retain smoked flavor after being dropped in a fryer. Happy to be proven wrong on that though.

Reactions: Kentucky81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT