ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

buckethead1978

All-American
Oct 6, 2007
illest mfer from here to Gardenia
Any big grilling plans?

I currently have a Weber Smoky Mountain that I use for smoking and we have a Ducane gas grill that runs off natural gas. It is a hand me down and is kind of junky.

I want to get a charcoal grill to add to the patio. Pretty much only looking at Weber unless someone knows of something just as good and similarly priced.

So my question, is the Weber performer worth the price different from the standard Weber grll?

I've got the Weber Master Touch and love the thing. I use a Weber chimney to light the coals, and have a table outside next to where I grill, so didn't see the need for the extras like the gas-assist lighting and the attached cart that comes with the Performer. You won't go wrong with it, IMHO

I have the 22.5 smokey mountain. weber performer, and weber elite gas grill. Love all of em..I also have the smokenator attachment for my performer. I use it when I'm smoking maybe just 2 racks of ribs or a bologna, also use it when I want that real charcoal flavor AND it's much easier to clean then the WSM. Weber makes a quality product IMO. I actually use the performer more than my gas it seems..

I've got a Chargriller Akorn. I'm getting ready to have to smoke a couple of butts. My supply of pulled pork in the freezer is dwindling.

I've also got some trout a buddy gave me in the freezer I'm wanting to smoke. Anybody got any good tips on those?

Just had brats with sauteed peppers and onions........dang good meal right'dare....

Thinking about finally making the switch to charcoal. My gas grill needs replaced. I love the convenience of gas since I'm almost always in a hurry, but prefer the taste of food grilled on charcoal (who doesn't?)

Originally posted by Festivus Miracle:
As good as Fannie Farkle's in Gatlinburg, BlueRaider?????
Don't know. Never eaten there. Can't get past the Papa John's.

Originally posted by Festivus Miracle:
As good as Fannie Farkle's in Gatlinburg, BlueRaider?????
I'm impressed that you know the name of that place. lol

Originally posted by UK_Norm:
Thinking about finally making the switch to charcoal. My gas grill needs replaced. I love the convenience of gas since I'm almost always in a hurry, but prefer the taste of food grilled on charcoal (who doesn't?)
I did it last summer. We have had a gas grill forever and last year my wife bought a Green Egg. I still use the gas grill if it's just hamburgers and hot dogs, but use the Green Egg for steaks, ribs, and chicken.

Yes, charcoal is better tasting, but you have to have the time to get it ready.

Originally posted by Chuckinden:

Originally posted by UK_Norm:
I did it last summer. We have had a gas grill forever and last year my wife bought a Green Egg. I still use the gas grill if it's just hamburgers and hot dogs, but use the Green Egg for steaks, ribs, and chicken.

Yes, charcoal is better tasting, but you have to have the time to get it ready.
I used a gas grill for a long time, but when I went back to charcoal, I made sure I took the time to get it ready. The taste is so much better. Using the chimney to get the coals ready speeds it up quite a bit.

Originally posted by weused2luvhim2:

I've got a Chargriller Akorn.
Have one as well, figured I would try it for a few years to see if I want to go all-in on a BGE. Love it.

I do a lot of smoked wings, and then open up the vents for a few minutes to crisp them. Haven't tried a brisket yet, but not sure I have the patience for it anyway. Looking forward to trying some pizzas and breads this summer on it, as I didn't pick mine up until August of last year and didn't have a ton of time to experiment.

Originally posted by blueboy08:

Originally posted by weused2luvhim2:

I've got a Chargriller Akorn.
Have one as well, figured I would try it for a few years to see if I want to go all-in on a BGE. Love it.

I do a lot of smoked wings, and then open up the vents for a few minutes to crisp them. Haven't tried a brisket yet, but not sure I have the patience for it anyway. Looking forward to trying some pizzas and breads this summer on it, as I didn't pick mine up until August of last year and didn't have a ton of time to experiment.
Pizza is great on it, just make sure to put some corn meal on the pizza stone before you put the pizza on. I made that rookie mistake. Also a pizza peel is handy.

How is low and slow cooking on the Akorn? From what I have read it has some leaks that can be fixed with mods but I'd want it mostly for low and slow 250 degree type stuff.

How is low and slow cooking on the Akorn? From what I have read it has some leaks that can be fixed with mods but I'd want it mostly for low and slow 250 degree type stuff.

It's great, I've had mine 3 years and have done nothing to it. I can hold it at 250 or under for 12 hours with not a lot of lump. I've never cooked longer than that, but i'm sure you can do it longer. I cooked 2 butts a while back, put them on at 10:00 pm got up at seven and they were done and the grill was 235. I was using an igrill mini, woke up a few times during the night an peeked at my phone to check grill temp. Varied up and down 10 degrees all night.

Last edited:
Only issue with it is there are no replacement parts. If it gets knocked over and bust the top, go buy a new one.

Ive also had no problem holding heat. It does leak a little where the lid meets the grill, but its not enough to change the temp much. The biggest issues is opening the lid to mop or adjust the meat. Unlike a regular smoker, there isn't a box for coals so you get a ton of air on the fire. You will get a spike in temp for about 15 minutes after opening it, so I have been just letting them sit. I'll go egg eventually, but for now, it definitely gets the job done well.

Gas grills are a great addition to an Egg. You can use the side burner to easily light your charcoal starter, and you can turn the burners on to keep you warm while you cook on your Egg in the winter. win win

Reactions: John Barleycorn
Wanted to smoke a pork belly this weekend, but nothing but rain forecasted here in Indianapolis. Still rocking this till I make the big boy move to a Big Green Egg. Thanks for the rec, Clown. Despite looking like two metal buckets (it is), thing holds temp like a mother effer. Amazing:

10045417.jpg

Willy they are pretty good, and work similarly to an Egg (vertical smoker with firebox below). I've smoked on them a few times and if I remember right, we had to add coals fairly often, which I have never needed to do with the Akorn, since you can just load them up with wood and charcoal and severely limit the air to control the burn.

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
Finally got around to doing a beer can chicken on the Weber. Really good. Will be doing it again. Anyone know if the kind of beer you use makes a difference?

Clearly my post count shows I know nothing. I like spatchcocking. I tried beer can and it was easy. Didn't have to fool with it during cooking.

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
Finally got around to doing a beer can chicken on the Weber. Really good. Will be doing it again. Anyone know if the kind of beer you use makes a difference?

I can't tell any difference. The beer I drink is on the more expensive side than say Bud or Bud light, and it's usually always bottle. So I usually stop and buy a tall can of Yuengling. I poor half in an empty coke coke and drink the rest. I've experimented with putting garlic and cayenne in the beer. A waste of spices imo. The beer is just for the steam. You can probably use a soda and get the same effect. I always stick a 1/4 of a lemon in the the top of the chicken to hold the steam in. As far as spatchcock goes, I've done them that way and couldn't tell any difference.

I don't know how it gets easier than spatchcooking. Cut out sternum, put on grill, make amazingly good evenly cooked chicken every time. I flip the bird once in the last 10 minutes and crank up the heat to crisp the skin real good. It's not really close. If you're too lazy to do that very simple task, get some JTMs and throw them in the microwave.

Haven't done anything worthwhile in ages. Got a few weekends coming up so I need to change that.

Last edited:
721001.jpg
Picked up my hand me down Weber Smokey Mountain last night. Got a book and a few quick lessons from my bro-in-law and now I'm ready to go.

Went out at lunch and bought new grates, some hickory chunks and a big bag of natural lump.

Making wings for a Derby party on Saturday. Made a dry rub for them last night.

Fire. Meat. (caveman grunting noises)

The book is called Low & Slow and he gives you 5 recipes to do in order exactly as he says. But I'm going to wait until after I touch up the wings to start his program.

Wings are fool proof. Use a little little bit of corn starch, it'll crisp them up for ya. Very little though b/c too much is over powering. Google measurements.

I don't know how it gets easier than spatchcooking. Cut out sternum, put on grill, make amazingly good evenly cooked chicken every time. I flip the bird once in the last 10 minutes and crank up the heat to crisp the skin real good. It's not really close. If you're too lazy to do that very simple task, get some JTMs and throw them in the microwave.

Haven't done anything worthwhile in ages. Got a few weekends coming up so I need to change that.

Direct or indirect? Also, anyone done pepper stout beef? Amazing!

Agree. Spatchcocking a chicken is easy. If i cook a chicken, that's the only way i do it. If i cook 2 i stand them up whole.

Bought 2 20oz dry aged Tbones yesterday. Fired em up on the egg last night. Was good.

Wife had me drown hers in Dales sauce for 20 minutes prior to cooking. I went with a thin coating of butter, kosher salt, coarse black pepper.

She likes her steaks well done. I've tried to fix her. Brought hers up to 160 internal, took mine to 120.

After i removed hers i took out the ring and put the grill on the fire box to cook mine. Shit happens quick that close to the coals. This was the best steak I've had since the last time i had the best steak I've had.

-I do direct heat raised grid in the BGE at about 375-400. Takes about an hour or so depending on size. Longer the better.

-I can get at least three roasters spatchcocked on the BGE. If I went indirect with multi-levels I think I could get 5-6.

-If she likes it well done why would you spend that kind of $$ on a bone in dry aged piece of meat? Then douse it in Dale's, which I actually like on certain meats. That's insane. Feel like falcon punching you right now. Also try to aim for an internal of 150-155. Medium well should have no pink but not be shoe leather.

ADVERTISEMENT