ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking and Grilling Thread

Aug 22, 2007
Apparently the last one is no longer in the system...

Welp, went ahead and spent some Christmas loot yesterday. Been researching the BGEs and Primos for a few months. Decided yesterday to check craigslist, and some online dealers for prices. Ended up emailing a guy on craigslist about a Large Oval Primo. Turns out he was a dealer. Ended up quoting me an absolutely ridiculous price for it, with the stand, heat deflector, expansion rack, drip pan tray, ash tool, grate lifter, bag of coal, and some rub...$800 all in.

My mouth hit the floor when I received the email as that's over $1800 worth of material. He assures me he's a dealer and that it's all brand new. So, I looked on Primo's site, and sure enough, there he was. I figured it was worth the 2 hour drive to check into it.

Got down there and was pleasantly surprised he was legit, and it was indeed all new, in boxes. So, I ended up with a new grill yesterday when I had no intentions whatsoever of doing anything of the sort as I awoke that morning. Anyway, pretty damn pumped. Anybody have one? Tips? Recipes?

B5j_JefCMAA2l6d.jpg:large

This post was edited on 12/23 2:10 PM by Arthur Robinson

Actually going to break it in with a simple turkey breast for Christmas dinner. We have 6 family Christmases over the Holidays, but Christmas Day is free, incredibly enough. So I figure that turkey breast will serve my family nicely while trying to figure that thing out...

And congrats on the BGE. Great Christmas gift!
This post was edited on 12/23 2:14 PM by Arthur Robinson

Cold weather smoking is way underrated. Especially with manageable temps like these.

BBdk, you're ahead of the curve by a large margin since you've been working with a charcoal grill/smoker. Same concept. In fact I'd keep that kettle around for when you've got a long smoke on and you want to do some sides or apps. Unless you just don;t want the clutter or promised it out. Kettles are just handy. Really wish I had picked one of those up rather than a 2nd egg.

Rib Roast is the best Holiday cook. Dam those suckers are phenom and easy as all get out.

I've had a Weber Kettle for over a year with the Smokanator attachment. I figure it should be a relatively easy learning curve due to that. I did promise that to a buddy though, so it's gone already. I've also got a gas grill I can fire up real quick and do some quick sides, hot dogs for kids, etc. Gas grills take a beating from purists, but damn if you can't beat the convenience in a pinch.

Nah, don't plan on letting my Weber go. Had it for 2 years, and absolutely love it...didn't even have the Smokenator thingy, just did it myself.

Thinking I'll kinda "miss" the process of it, having to add chips or charcoal every hour, constantling battling temps, etc...that was all part of the fun, trying to master that sucker.

But also looking forward to the ease of the BGE, and reaching new temps and/or being able to hold one forever. Never even messed with a Brisket for that very reason, but that will soon change (although I know those are tough to master regardless of rig, but I'll get it)

Originally posted by bcw1029:
Good timing. I'm actually smoking salmon tomorrow. Anyone have any recipe recommendations for smoked salmon? TIA
Never smoked salmon. You cold smoking? I always just go cedar plank with my salmon. That stuff is so incredibly good, easy, and quick.

Originally posted by Arthur Robinson:
Anyway, pretty damn pumped. Anybody have one? Tips? Recipes?

This post was edited on 12/23 2:10 PM by Arthur Robinson
I have a Primo and overall I like it a lot, but the thermometer in the dome is the least reliable thermometer I've ever seen. I know there's always a difference in grid and dome temp, but the difference on mine is often over 100 degrees. So my only tip would be to be sure you have some sort of thermometer to measure grid temp. Something like this works well and is very useful for long cooks.

Another rec for the Maverick. Just incredible, works great in oven too.

Best investment I've made with grilling supplies.

Yep...had the Maverick for my kettle. Will be hanging onto that obviously. I don't have a Thermapen, but I do have a handheld reader. Just not sure I can justify $100 for it. Would come in handy if grilling multiple little pieces of meat, but I figure I'll make do with what I already have...

Still working my Weber Kettle and love it. No way a gas grill even compares to the flavor of the food over charcoal and some good smoke.

Originally posted by B.B.d.K.:
Great timing...Wife got me a BGE for Christmas.
eek.r191677.gif
What size did you get? I've got a medium but want to get a large or ex large to go along with it. I'll have a wooden table for an egg this Spring. I think the hole can be enlarged to accept a large egg, not sure.

Originally posted by ymmot31:

Great timing...Wife got me a BGE for Christmas.
eek.r191677.gif
What size did you get? I've got a medium but want to get a large or ex large to go along with it. I'll have a wooden table for an egg this Spring. I think the hole can be enlarged to accept a large egg, not sure.
Get the XL.

i got a monster brisket on my large BGE....barely

If you don't want to pay $100 for a thermapen you can get a thermawand for $25 on Amazon. Dishwasher safe and reads either 1 or 2 seconds slower. Works fantastic for me.

Originally posted by Kooky Kats:

Get the XL.

i got a monster brisket on my large BGE....barely

That's the way I'm leaning. Things I want to cook that are too big for the medium would probably be a tight fit in a large.

Originally posted by _Chase_:
If you don't want to pay $100 for a thermapen you can get a thermawand for $25 on Amazon. Dishwasher safe and reads either 1 or 2 seconds slower. Works fantastic for me.
Added to the Wish List...Good look.

Thermapen is a must for any cooks.

The digi-q is awesome but a heckuva an investment.

Spider and grid extender are the two accessories that I think are pretty much mandatory.

I think the XL is too big and heavy. Large is perfect.

You still have to monitor temp on the egg, it is just so much more efficient. With good charcoal I've had 25+ hour burns on one load.

Just got up to throw on a brisket for later today. I hate brisket but my MIL bought it for me to smoke. I'll probably screw it up but whatever.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Thermapen $110
DigiQ 2 $279

My smoking results from DigiQ have been amazingly better.
The thing sets temp, sets alarm and regulates temp of pit fire to the degree... It holds that thing steady.

With the diurnal swings of temp this time of year, the digiQ is two pork shoulders and a brisket more money than thermapen .

For those considering the XL. Maybe consider the large with the DigiQ2 and proper accutrements.

Anth- do you use the BGE charcoal?

Scared to set my Egg as a Standalone on my Grilling Deck, which can be seen from the street...thought about getting a huge chain or two, but that's kinda ghetto, guess I'll have to get one of those wodie tables/thingies, to at least make it more difficult, if someone wants to attempt that -- which isn't very likely.

Suggestions on budget, but good/cool ones? I know some of the wodie BGE tables/etc are more expensive than the Egg itself, and I have absolutely no interest in that -- and I'm not the guy who's gonna build one myself, so forget that suggestion.

Scared to set my Egg as a Standalone on my Grilling Deck, which can be seen from the street...thought about getting a huge chain or two, but that's kinda ghetto, guess I'll have to get one of those wodie tables/thingies, to at least make it more difficult, if someone wants to attempt that -- which isn't very likely.

Suggestions on budget, but good/cool ones? I know some of the wodie BGE tables/etc are more expensive than the Egg itself, and I have absolutely no interest in that -- and I'm not the guy who's gonna build one myself, so forget that suggestion.
I got a cedar Amish table for $350. It is nice and solid.

Yeah Franklin crushes it.

-Booker, go slow, don't pull it unit it fork tender just use temp as a gauge not to determine when you pull it, wrap it in foil ad beef stock to the wrap and rest it in towels and a cooler for a bit.

-Going to take a motivated person to grab that sucker and go. grab a bike chain and run it through the hinge and stand to your deck if you really think some one would nab it. Those tables are expensive although they're convenient.

I haven't done any good cooks in a long time.

It would be pretty brazen, probably worrying for nothing. They'd either have to pull to the end of my long driveway in a truck, or roll it down to the street, in plain few of plenty of neighbors.

Sucker is definitely heavy, apparently was pretty difficult for my FIL and BIL to get it up the stairs and into the living room.

Anyone who cooks needs a thermo pen. Hell we use it for everyday cooking way more than grilling. But it's awesome when you got 5-6 steaks and can mail each one. Same for a while chicken so you can monitor several areas to see what's cooking faster and rotate.

Gonna be up early tomorrow to smoke a butt and a turkey for the family Christmas dinner. Applied the rub to the butt a full 24 hours in advance, and going to use creole butter injection for the turkey before hitting the smoker. Apple wood will be the wood of choice for this round.

Round two will be smoking some appetizer type finger foods for the UK-UofL game Saturday - bacon wrapped sausages, etc. Gonna go with Hickory wood then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT