ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

A great ribeye is tops on my list. On the Egg I go to 600/650, cook each side about 4 minutes, or to touch on tenderness. I use various rubs but mainly garlic powder/onion powder/ lawrys seasoned salt these days. Turns out as good as most steakhouses. I used to go low and slow but have abandoned that totally.

BTW, the Dizzy Pig line is great.

I'm just a filet guy, always have been. Yes, I know it's the least flavorful/marbled...but I love the mouth feel w/ a good char.

Actually ordered a non-filet (Strip) for the first time in YEARS the other night...and came away wishing I'd ordered the Filet per usual. A few of my buddies (Kirk especially) worship the Strip, I don't get it.

May give quality Ribeye a go here soon, maybe my tastes have changed, but I've had a few bad experiences in the past with overly fatty cuts where I struggle to even find a non fat-laden bite, keeps me scared to waste my money on them

If "hot tubbing" = sous vide + sear, then yes, it's worth it. You really can't screw it up. I'm not a big fan of the blow torch sear though. Cut a filet in half once, did half in a pan, half with a torch. Maybe I didn't do the torch right, but I didn't think it was good at all.

As far as buying steaks at Ruby's goes, the price difference between buying the meat, or the comparable steak on the menu is negligible. If I'm buying a steak from Jeff Ruby, he's cooking it for me.

If you are going to buy something from Ruby's, go with the seasoning.

I like a good filet, but when they start hitting that $18-$20/lb. mark I cringe. At that point I start thinking lobster. One more reason I prefer a good ribeye.

How much are the dry-aged and/or prime steaks compared to standard grocery store meat of the same variety? And, are they that much better to be worth the cost and trouble of getting them? (Obviously they are to some or they wouldn't bother.)

Is it something for really special occasions or every time you throw on a steak?

I don't mind spending extra on certain things if I really feel like it's worth the money--but can't stand paying extra when there's little or no incremental value.

Also while we're talking "grilling", this will be the next toy I pick up...

81Q9DgXChcL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25127.0

Go through the pages and just look at the pizzas people are turning out.

I know you've mentioned the pizza kettle, BBdk, but from all the reviews, this blows that out of the water.

Hmm, Interesting. Haven't seen that, looks dope -- but the thread you linked seems to be unanimously dogging it. Those pizzas don't look any different (or as good, imo) than the Serious Eats/FoodLab ones make using the Kettle Pizza w/ a few adjustments.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...a-and-baking-steels-new-joint-pizza-oven.html

Having a wodie ass Stone/Woodfired Pizza oven is a long-term dream of mine.

That thread started two years ago. I think much has improved by the time you get to page 200. Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but it seems to be the home oven most people are recommending across the internet.

I think the convenience factor of not having to refuel with wood to keep the temp up is one of the big plusses over the kettlepizza. I think the baking steel version of the kettle pizza is the same price as the blackstone.

I would like to see Kenji test the Blackstone since he basically redesigned the Pizzakettle for the company that makes it.

-I go Ribeye > Strip > Flat Iron > Filet these days. Since I move on from Filet I just can't go back and enjoy it. I'm going to buy that Anova at some point. Food labs pimps it pretty hard. As much as I cook pork chops, chicken and steak it's a no brainer.

-I think Wilson's is the best steak in town. I think about 20% more than a typical ribeye. Although I'm going to try a few at home aged per that article I posted earlier. 4 days on salt uncovered in the fridge.

-Last steak(thick cut strips) I made was probably my best ever, seasoning was thicker than normal consisting of paprika(no flavor but adds to the char, kosher, pepper, light dusting of cayenne. I flip more than once. Several times to avoid burning and to my satisfaction with char. I do this with almost all direct meats. I know it's not what old timers say but it works for me.

-If you're having trouble with Filet to Ribeye then go with a thick strip. So flavorful and fat cap is all on one side.

Told you had I had a Strip on Friday and just didn't care for the texture. Have had Kirk's USDA Prime strips twice as well (cooked perfectly)....good, but just not my preferred cut.

Flat Iron is the most underrated steak there is, by far. Still don't quite understand how that cut could just be "discovered/invented" after so many years.

I think skirt is right there. We make skirt steak tacos all the time. I'll coat it with homemade taco seasoning. Phenom.

-I guess you just have flawed beef taste buds. Sucks for you.

I'm not the only one that eats most of the ribeye, correct? I'll discard large chunks of fat but the marbling and small pieces are my favorite. Our dinner crew is split, half eats it and half tosses it.

It makes me want to gag...it's like eating a chewy booger. I'm not talking genuine marbling, I'm talking the big gunks of pure fat.

Bone Marrow tho! [smoke]

I love skirt and flank steak, and I don't take palate smack from simpletons who don't like onions.

I have. I used to not eat onions. Just like used to not eat hardly any veggies, peppers, onions, mushrooms. This is mostly when I was a kid though.

Now it's peas and brussels. That's it.

Local meat market here has 8oz bacon wrapped filets for $5.99 each through the end of May. Think I will pick several of those up but prefer ribeye.

The Costco in Louisville has USDA Prime Ribeyes on a frequent basis. A 3 pack is usually Round 30/$40. Probably two inches thick. Beautiful steaks. Hit medium rare right and they literally melt in your mouth.

And I do eat 99% of ribeye if it's right. There are two kinds of steak fat; edible and non-edible. The higher cut of steak, the less non-edible fat there is. The non-edible is usually a thick strip of fat bisecting the steak. Edge pieces or the "crown" of the ribeye are usually delicious if cooked right.

Local meat market here has 8oz bacon wrapped filets for $5.99 each through the end of May. Think I will pick several of those up but prefer ribeye.

Filet of what? Not tenderloin. Please tell me you aren't talking about those prepackaged things with the preinserted thermometer... I couldn't even stomach those as a poor college kid. Essentially beef jerky pucks there was so much salt.

bbdk, try slowing down the cook if you aren't into fat on a ribeye. I love a good ribeye, but I have to go medium rare (rare for any other cut), otherwise the fat hasn't broken down at all. Sous vide is legit for ribeye too.

Ordering the Weber Performer Deluxe sometime this weekend. Wife wants the green one and I can't find a store that I can walk in and get it.

Some beautiful looking brisket at Sams and Costco lately.

Have a perfect spot for an outdoor kitchen. May have to invest in the setup in a few years.

BBdK: before your brother in law fabricates the egg cabinet, make sure he looks up ways to make them fireproof. I was looking at a website that showed all kinds of charring issues that people were having with cabinets. If I find the link, I will post it on here.

Filet of what? Not tenderloin. Please tell me you aren't talking about those prepackaged things with the preinserted thermometer... I couldn't even stomach those as a poor college kid. Essentially beef jerky pucks there was so much salt.
No, no. This is a butcher shop/meat market. Straight off the cow. Had one a couple of weeks ago.

I will tell you a very underrated meat (just like the Flat iron steak), is country style ribs. I know they are not ribs (cut from the loin by the shoulder), but like ribeye, it has the fat content that adds so much flavor. Smoked some of those (wife had to have) as I was smoking three racks of spare ribs. Sons a bitches turned out very good. Tender and full of flavor. The thickness of them, with very little bone really lets you add flavor with rub and a marinade. Smoked for several hours with apple wood, will do again.

Reactions: Tebow81
I will tell you a very underrated meat (just like the Flat iron steak), is country style ribs. I know they are not ribs (cut from the loin by the shoulder), but like ribeye, it has the fat content that adds so much flavor. Smoked some of those (wife had to have) as I was smoking three racks of spare ribs. Sons a bitches turned out very good. Tender and full of flavor. The thickness of them, with very little bone really lets you add flavor with rub and a marinade. Smoked for several hours with apple wood, will do again.

I only do country ribs when I can get special ordered piglets flown in from the Czech Republic whose diet was grain based only. Anything else is unedible really.

I bought a Thermopop thermometer over the winter and it works well. Same maker as Thermapen it takes a few seconds longer to get reading but only cost $30 as compared to $90 for the Thermapen.

I'm not the only one that eats most of the ribeye, correct? I'll discard large chunks of fat but the marbling and small pieces are my favorite. Our dinner crew is split, half eats it and half tosses it.

Absolutely. If the ribeye is done right then those little bits of fat almost taste like meat flavored butter.

Still haven't fired up my smoker this year. I guess some moisture got in there somehow and theres a bunch of mold inside :uzi:

It seems like i'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy baby backs WAY more than spare ribs. Not even close for me.

Pork butt, corn, & smoked potato salad today

Trying out my spider/stone, adjustable rig + half moon top deck setup for the first time. Already much happier & more comfortable my my egg innards. [cheers]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT