ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking and Grilling Thread

Not really. I'd just google/YouTube whatever it was I was cooking, there are always several differing opinions.

...there are endless attachments/accessories for it, though. Check out the 'Kettle Pizza', I never purchased, but wanted to. The 'Smokenator' is also a highly-popular accessory, but i never felt it was necessary...I'd just add a handful of chips through my hinged grates (the one definite purchase I'd recommend) every hour or two.

Enjoy, I had a blast with it -- It's not like the Egg where you "Set it and Forget It" -- but to me, that was all part of the fun. It's a classic.

Setting my Egg up this weekend and i'll probably do a few simple things for the super bowl. The Georgia red wings on the BGE forum look like a good beginner recipe. Want to just mess around with it and learn how to use it for a few cooks before trying any longer cooks.

I'll keep my weber forever. Its an easy grill to cook on I like the ide of having two grills going at once, and im not going to purchase another BGE

I've actually had two. I had the mini that we bought for tailgating. It was stolen on the quad during A-Day. The first time we used it. I bought another one that was still in the box when the tornado destroyed it along with everything else on that half of my house.

I've bought two and cooked one meal on them combined. And iirc-it was burgers and hot dogs. Insurance did pay for the second one but I had to use that money to cover some other expenses at that time. So I kind of feel like this is about 6 years in the making.

laugh.r191677.gif
I love Clark. He's the real life charlie brown. Glad you got a big old xl. Good for you. Wings, spatchcook, tenderloin, pork butt ate your easy learning cooks.

Unless I'm having a few drinks for a 9:15 pm Super Tuesday tipoff (which I hate), I'm in bed by 10 typically, at the latest. If it gets near 11 on a school-night, I start feeling 'guilty' and very uncomfortable for some reason

Broke out the smoker for the FIL's birthday this weekend...

:: Old school cheap ass Charbroil Kettle Grill with separate firebox for indirect heat. Messy, hard to clean and can go through the fuel if you're not careful, but the end results are astounding and worth the trouble.

:: Damn, I miss that thing. I'm literally embarrassed I don't smoke more often.

:: Pork Loin. Cheap, easy to trim and brine, only a two hour smoke. Mango-Ginger brine, Standard BBQ Rub, pulled at 150, wrapped in foil to rest. Refrigerated overnight and thin sliced the next day for Bahn-Mi and Paninis. Killer.

:: Cheater Pastrami. Bought the Kroger corned beef brisket. Washed and dried the brisket and chilled uncovered overnight for the cure to even out. Coated in rub of equal parts toasted an fresh ground corriander and black pepper. 4 hour smoke at 225 and pulled at 165. Wrapped in foil and rested overnight. Delicious.

:: Next time though I'll bother with the pink salt and brine my own for four days, but in a pinch that Kroger will do just fine.

:: Ruhlman.com for pastrami/charcuterie tips. Great resource.

Don't know how far I'll get with this one seeing all the BGE love in here, but here goes...

:: We are getting a new gas grill this season. I'd like to get it now while snow is falling and discounts are good. Budget of $500. Leader in the clubhouse so far as features and price tag goes is the Charbroil Tru Infrared Four Burner. Limted Limetime warranty on the burners, stove side burner with cast iron griddle, two year warranty on firebox and lid. Thoughts?

:: Can anyone tell me why a Weber three burner with less cooking space, fewer features, no side burner, and smaller warranty is $200 more? It can't all be the name can it?

:: Anyone else in the market for a gas grill or are we all BGE converts around here?

Originally posted by anthonys735:
Thinking the next event I cook for I'm going pastrami. Great idea on Bahn Mi or Cubans.
:: Pork loin is so easy. With the tailgates you all do I'll bet you could prepare three pork loins (15lb of meat in my case) in the time it takes to do one Boston Butt and still have leftovers.

:: AAAnnnd you can do cool stuffings with pork loin as well.

:: The Pastrami was criminally easy. Three ingredients and 30 hours (only six of which cooking/resting) if you go the Kroger route. As long as you have patience and technique is sound you'll be fine.

I did chicken, pork tenderloin and a wing recipe over the weekend.

Normally just do barbecue wings, but found a good recipe online for "Georgia Red Clay Wings." Overnight marinade with soy/tobasco/and bloody mary mix- then you can grill direct or indirect. Pretty simple stuff and i'll keep working up so the longer cooks.

Are there any quality, ''budget' meat slicers out there? I've always wanted one...but not prepared to drop major coin on a commercial-grade Deli style or really have room to store a super-wodie one

...plus, I'm sure I'd only used it once every 5-7 years.

Always wanted to do my own Philly Meat, among other things.

Pork loin is a one of my favorites, do them all the time. Stuffed with apples and cheese is my favorite.

I've just never saved it to do cubans or bahn mi. Good idea.

Originally posted by B.B.d.K.:
Are there any quality, ''budget' meat slicers out there? I've always wanted one...but not prepared to drop major coin on a commercial-grade Deli style or really have room to store a super-wodie one

...plus, I'm sure I'd only used it once every 5-7 years.

Always wanted to do my own Philly Meat, among other things.
I was looking at them in the last thread. I'd actually probably use them pretty often as much stuff as we make from scratch. Found some in the 100-150 range which was still pretty hefty for something that might not get used a ton. Plus I have great knives.

*Worship* Bahn Mi -- probably average one every 2 weeks...suckers are $3 at this little Vietnamese Bakery around the corner from my house, they do their own bread & everything. The Real Deal with Roasted Pork, Pate, and the works. Best $3 you can spend in Louisville as far as I'm concerned.

...never thought to make my own.

-The slicers are just big, so I'll keep it in the basement, probably a pain in the ass to clean and is bulky. I'd love to have one if it didn't come with the headaches.

-Need the location on that bahn mi? Right there by Nam Kitchen and Pic Pac whatever that ghetto store is now-a-days? We could certainly us a new sandwich in the rotation.

Originally posted by anthonys735:
-The slicers are just big, so I'll keep it in the basement, probably a pain in the ass to clean and is bulky. I'd love to have one if it didn't come with the headaches.

-Need the location on that bahn mi? Right there by Nam Kitchen and Pic Pac whatever that ghetto store is now-a-days? We could certainly us a new sandwich in the rotation.
There are 2. Both right there at Southside/Strawberry Ln near Hoops.

De Lat's Gateaux & Bakery is the one I mentioned above. Cute little family, and they'll toast them up for you. Wodie Thai Tea, too. 6915 Southside Drive, Louisville, KY 40214

Pho Binh Mi is the other. Little VK style place (an actual restaurant) specializing in Pho & Soups, but they have a few Bahn Mi, and are equally as good. But kinda slow. Little Asian guy who calls himself "Kevin" (
laugh.r191677.gif
) runs it, he's hilarious and cool as shit. 6709 Strawberry Lane, Louisville, KY 40214

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT