Dave Bing
Michael Cooper
Jamal Mashburn
Rasheed Wallace
Yao Ming
Vinnie Johnson
Tom Chambers

Poll will be open for 24 hours and started at 8:59PM EST

My team will go legit 9 deep with matchups: Malone is the 6th man and will come in at the 4 spot- and believe him and Dirk can play together-- Lucas is the other Hall of Fame big here capable of stretching the floor and doing all the necessary things to win--

Dumars will serve a bench role here- I want him to focus on defense and have the ability to guard either West/Havlicek with fresh legs..

I started the duo of Marion/Dirk here- one to give more floor spacing but two to give more length on the perimeter- contested shots at 6'7 will make things more difficult and Marion is super versatile and has proven to coexist with Dirk very well:

Dikembe needs to nothing more than to change the game on defense-- which he's arguably the best at in the 90's-- in fact he credited Russell to the way he built his style of play-- which i found pretty cool considering the matchup (enjoyed researching other legends game)

The best guard defender will once again cause havoc for the smaller Cousy and the idea of making him work with extended pressure on him will hopefully make post entries and alley oops a bit more difficult. Cousy was ahead of the learning curve in the 50/60's but have to think that some of that learning curve would be negated with Payton down his throat.

I would like to hear others opinions on the matchup-- I like my team and how it would matchup against the old legend squad.

Keep in mind:

Karl Malone is the 6th man but acts as another starter depending how the series goes- Nowitzki is in there for a bit more shooting and spacing along with his connection with Marion

My team has a lot of length-- with a great mix of defense/offense

Orbzut I like your team. I do.

But I like his just a little bit more. Kemp and Russell is just nasty.

Payton would talk so much sh^&^% to Kemp with the addition of Dirk impossible fadeaway to guard and he would not be nasty anymore..

Cousy at 6'1 and West at 6'2 is a very small backcourt.

Reactions: morgousky
and you want to know who Cousy compared Russell to in the year of 2014....

Hassan Whiteside.. gross.

Also have all defense-- MJ credits the toughest defender he faced in Dumars off the bench--

Hall of Fame Lucas who won at EVERY Level-- and has an A grade from 3 on 2k Lol

And arguably the best PF of all time in Karl Malone--

I want @nickhorvathsuxazz to get on to respond though because I don't want to hijack the thread.

I do think I underrate Lucas some given all I’ve read on him and seeing the impact he had on games with his pts/high number of rebounds with a great shot.

Last edited:
My team's going platoon system, and we're running the wheels off Woo's boys. My first group will be as listed above, but my 2 guard on my 2nd platoon is going to be the Microwave, Vinnie Johnson. This frees up Cooper to be my "6th man" guard for both platoons, just in case the game gets slowed down and my backcourt finds itself a little undersized.

I'm running the two teams with a 7/5 split for each of the first three quarters, then going with the hot hand for the 4th. My directive to both squads is to run it down their throats. It's how we're built, it's how we'll play: wide-open, full-throttle for 48 minutes with fresh legs the entire way. My big man sub, to go along with Cooper in the backcourt, is Tom Chambers. Just mentioned Tom to emphasize the depth of my team: it isn't going to be devastated by a star's rolled ankle.

I've got defensive anchors (Russell/Wallace) and shot blockers (Kemp/Ming) on both units to trigger the break, with the wings (West/Havileck and Mash/Coop) and guards (Cousy and Bing) to finish at an extremely high rate on the other end. This team is going to put a bunch of points up and dare Orbzut's group to try and keep up.

I respect your team but that's a poor argument

You said you're going to platoon-- for one that takes away from your best players--but my backup PG is Derrick Rose-- who yes would feast off an up and down style of play.

Not to mention-- great defense turns into easy offense-- if you think you're going to score at will with your small guys --- than it's a weak argument at best-- I run out 6'4-6'7-6'7-7-0-7'2 -- a lot of length and guys on there that are versatile defensively.

6'9 Malone and Lucas 6'8 are rebounding machines to man the second unit- Rose/Dumars at the guards-- Peja/Curry could even be rolled out in an up pace game and get hot--

My bench is no slouch featuring 3 Hall of Fame players.

Last edited:
Don't have time for a full rebuttal, but need more people voting, so have to get this back to the top of page 1.

I will say this: a vote for my team is a vote of what could have been for UK in 2015 if Poy had stayed injury free and Cal remained committed to the platoon system. We were killing teams at an historic pace. It's easy to play suffocating, swarming, balls-to-the-wall defense when you're only being asked to go 6 or 7 minutes at a time before getting a breather. It's easy to get out quicker than your man when you're changing from defense to offense and your legs are as fresh as when the game began.

Think about what UK did to Kansas/UCLA, project accordingly, then go vote. Please and thank you.

Don't have time for a full rebuttal, but need more people voting, so have to get this back to the top of page 1.

I will say this: a vote for my team is a vote of what could have been for UK in 2015 if Poy had stayed injury free and Cal remained committed to the platoon system. We were killing teams at an historic pace. It's easy to play suffocating, swarming, balls-to-the-wall defense when you're only being asked to go 6 or 7 minutes at a time before getting a breather. It's easy to get out quicker than your man when you're changing from defense to offense and your legs are as fresh as when the game began.

Think about what UK did to Kansas/UCLA, project accordingly, then go vote. Please and thank you.

90s > 60s

Cal is not starting 6’1, 6’2, 6’5 but 6’4 6’7 and 6’7 sounds more familiar.

The physicality of my team and in fact the platoon option is strong as well and the 90’s competition was deeper and more balanced.

LukaszObrzut

PG: Gary Payton
G/F: Shawn Marion
G/F: Rick Barry
F: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Dikembe Mutombo

So does this game have no postion-honesty requirement?

Neither Marion nor Barry ever played guard. They were not G/Fs, instead they were pure forwards.

So does this game have no postion-honesty requirement?

Neither Marion nor Barry ever played guard. They were not G/Fs, instead they were pure forwards.

Shawn Marion can play guard because he can guard other opposing guards.. Barry I can't speak for but it was also 40 years ago and no 3's so-- im not sure how he can only be a forward. His skillset can make him a G/F but he will be the 3

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT