ADVERTISEMENT

One season in the books Sharpe looks headed for NBA Stardom (J. Hollinger, Athletic)

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida

Rookie of the Week: Shaedon Sharpe, SG, Portland​

I haven’t done one of these in a while because I’ve focused on the draft, but we need to circle back and talk about how good Sharpe was over the final weeks of the season. While the Blazers were shutting things down and turning on the reverse thrusters (see above), Portland’s teenage rookie was doing everything in his power to undermine the Blazers’ efforts.

Yes, these were garbage games where the Blazers were often routed (again, see above). But it’s hard to ignore how good Sharpe looked, including in some highly competitive games. He led the way with 27 points, six rebounds and six assists in Portland’s one April win, an upset at Minnesota that cost the Timberwolves home court for Tuesday’s Play-In game. More recently, he had 26 points four assists and two steals in a competitive matchup against the Clippers.

All told, Sharpe averaged 23.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists over the final 10 games on 57.4 percent True Shooting, which is respectable considering what was around him. The 19-year-old Canadian, took a “gap year” while not playing at Kentucky last season and was often invisible playing in an off-ball role for most of the season. But playing with the ball in his hands seems to have unlocked some athletic tools.

Notably, Sharpe is a special leaper who can attack bigs in the paint and finish. While there are elements of his craft (drawing fouls) that remain works in progress, Sharpe’s raw tools when he can get downhill are exhilarating. Watch here as he hustles back to steal a transition pass intended for Kawhi Leonard, then takes it back the other way and glides into a finish over Clippers’ rim protector Ivica Zubac.

Additionally, Sharpe showed some growth as a passer during his stint as the Blazers’ go-to guy. He more than doubled his per 36 assist rate over the final 10 games, and they weren’t all cheapies just from playing on the ball either. Watch here as he finds his path to the rim cut off and invents a kick-out to Kevin Knox for a triple:

Overall, Portland has to be massively encouraged by Sharpe’s season and should already be pondering what that means for its future. With the franchise seemingly committed to the Sisyphean task of winning with Damian Lillard and not much else, Sharpe becomes a huge part of the plan. That makes one wonder if Anfernee Simons— the opening-day starter at the 2, who averaged 21.1 points a game this season and is still only 23 — might become the expendable piece that the Blazers can parlay into some quality size and/or a wing-stopper for the league’s 27th-ranked defense.
Click the link if you wanna watch the video illustrations

Vid has almost 120,000 views …very well documented

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Saw him when they played the Wolves a few weeks ago. He's special. Sickens me he never suited up at Kentucky.

I'm still laughing at the AAU guys who were questioning his handles as to whether he'd be special. Right. LOL Hell Kevin Knox looked better than 75% of the guys these guys promote and say "You see it" when one of their cronies follows them.

Guy is going to be a special talent. When they look back it could be the one time Blazers get last laugh and nobody can mock them for taking him higher than others would've.

Greatest benchwarmer ever. I heard he could warm two whole benchws with just one ass cheak 😮🍑🔥
Little bit more to the story than what's come out and he's not said anything derogatory about Kentucky. Some of the '22 team members sure as hell never wanted him to play last year and took that to Cal. Worried about losing PT and he stuck with them. Cal has been in a slump and that decision will haunt him for some time. So when you hear "he didn't want to play when they got hurt and needed him" remember many of '22 team didn't want him to play at all either.

Little bit more to the story than what's come out and he's not said anything derogatory about Kentucky. Some of the '22 team members sure as hell never wanted him to play last year and took that to Cal. Worried about losing PT and he stuck with them. Cal has been in a slump and that decision will haunt him for some time. So when you hear "he didn't want to play when they got hurt and needed him" remember many of '22 team didn't want him to play at all either.
Yeah tough choice cal play wheeler and a injured tyty Washington more, or a unreal 3 level scorer who can get you 15-20 easily. If players didn’t want him to play that’s crazy to me

Yeah tough choice cal play wheeler and a injured tyty Washington more, or a unreal 3 level scorer who can get you 15-20 easily. If players didn’t want him to play that’s crazy to me
TyTy had 0 problem with him. Some of the elder statesmen did and NOT talking Oscar.

Next to Oscar's POY season, Wheeler's exit is the best thing to happen to Kentucky basketball the last 2 years. Says a lot about the state of the program but the breath of fresh air coming in is going to be fun to at least watch.

Wow Ralph I know you post insider stuff from time to time …that’s new news and thanks for sharing …maybe it will quell some of the haters 🤷‍♂️

TyTy had 0 problem with him. Some of the elder statesmen did and NOT talking Oscar.

Next to Oscar's POY season, Wheeler's exit is the best thing to happen to Kentucky basketball the last 2 years. Says a lot about the state of the program but the breath of fresh air coming in is going to be fun to at least watch.
Agree, I didn’t think tyty did, he seems like a chill dude, wheeler being one doesn’t surprise me, Wagner and Edwards are going to be a good change, dillingham will be fun, I don’t really know what to expect from bradshaw, but I don’t hate sharpe like a lot on here do, I just watch and imagine a tyty, sharpe and Grady perimeter

Wow Ralph I know you post insider stuff from time to time …that’s new news and thanks for sharing …maybe it will quell some of the haters 🤷‍♂️
I said it at the time last year as well. I'm pissed we didn't see Sharpe. Thought the entire situation was handled horribly (Cal and the Sharpe Camp share that blame) after the season and it's why fans are furious. But Sharpe's camp isn't going to air out things and Cal protected that as it's his program and never know who is/isn't returning.

Just sucks. Cal rode some great decisions early on, but he's had 1/2 moves he either didn't make or player he didn't land end his seasons/hopes for contention and winning SEC/getting to Final Fours. He has a chance to make some moves now, hopefully he adds to the incoming talent and doesn't just rely upon it as the sole focus.

Agree, I didn’t think tyty did, he seems like a chill dude, wheeler being one doesn’t surprise me, Wagner and Edwards are going to be a good change, dillingham will be fun, I don’t really know what to expect from bradshaw, but I don’t hate sharpe like a lot on here do, I just watch and imagine a tyty, sharpe and Grady perimeter
TyTy also knew him well from Phoenix. They worked out and played a lot together--with and against. He was at Compass and Sharpe at Dream of Changing Years on My Diploma Prep! LOL

I kinda thought Sharpe didn’t play cause he read all the experts opinions on Cal’s antiquated offense and didn’t wanna take a chance on watching his stock drop .
No, he didn't play because Cal is OWNED by his players. He does NOT care about what's best for the program because he has Mitch by the _ALLS!! Cal is JOKE and has lost EVERY bit of competitiveness he USED TO have!!

I used to be upset with Sharpe and his ENTOURAGE, but they are NOT the ones that ALLOWED that whole situation to happen, it was 100% on Cal. Cal is the one I get upset with whenever one of these posts about Sharpe comes up.

Ralph, you're one of the best on here, but I find this a bit hard to swallow. Where is this coming from? And IF this is true, it still means Cal went players first, and Kentucky winning second. I think everyone is about sick and tired of that. When does Kentucky winning come first?

Ralph, you're one of the best on here, but I find this a bit hard to swallow. Where is this coming from? And IF this is true, it still means Cal went players first, and Kentucky winning second. I think everyone is about sick and tired of that. When does Kentucky winning come first?
I referred to this last year as well regarding some of team didn't want him to play and it would effect their minutes. Don't think that's breaking news either, it's just how guys are wired and honestly how that team was wired, hell some were jealous of Oscar last year too. I don't get as upset as many because I understand every player has a goal of the NBA and I also was higher on him then most as a prospect. Doesn't make me any genius-but sometimes you see traits that just leap off and I was a huge fanboy of Sharpe. I mean Dillon Mitchell locked up just about any/everyone and seeing him at Texas, was very impressed with him, and Sharpe put 47/48 pts on him like he wasn't even in the gym.

My #1 lesson I took from last year was simple--don't recruit lower tier guys/role players who have delusional ego and think they are on par with the elite or just wearing your jersey makes you elite. It's the sweat/work you put in. I agree with every fan on this site how F'd up the situation was handled by the program and Sharpe's camp after the year. It was insane and stupid. I also was told by friend he was gone and kept responding to those asking what I'd heard that I was told he's not coming back so I was prepared for him to split.

But Kentucky has been missing that loaded group of alpha male players. They've had a few and just when you get in those moments where it's time to step up in competition, those guys all played to their level. Look at this year--the 5 Star McDonald's guys showed up against Kansas State. Oscar, Wallace, and Livingston all were holding their own. The role players? Disappeared. You can't fake toughness. You can fool with teasing with talent but when things get real, who is a dog and who is a well female dog?

Role players at a place like this need to understand, they are a role player. Elite players are elite. But Kentucky calls and everyone thinks "I'm going to the League".

This is going to be an interesting year because while they are Fr and everyone is down on being young, etc...they are also the type I'd want in a tough game on my side and in a fight. They aren't going to get rattled and scared. They'll be ready to fight and let's face it the '14 team was filled with an elite class but only 1 true elite NBA talent in Julius Randle but they had DOGS-guys who weren't scared--Twins, Young, Dakari, Lee, Hawkins, who were as responsible for the run and carried it over to successful teams after too. Scared guys don't fit in this atmosphere and core of team being elite HS talent is fine by me. Now the Portal guys better be realistic and not delusional.

He ruined 2 seasons for us.Took up space and kept us from getting a good player last season.I don't care what happens to him.
I'd place as much blame on Cal as the young guy. I am pissed off about how it was handled and agree with your take in regard to that. But having competed against some real pricks who mouth off and act like ass--les, still don't wish injury on them. It's just sports and he did everything he said he'd do-committed to Kentucky, came to school early, and then from there, Cal listened to some '22 players who didn't want Sharpe playing to take minutes and rest played out as it did. Sucks. I get it.

Not telling you to like/support/embrace him. But just wish you wouldn't wish injury on any player. There are players who read this stuff and it's not a great look. Wish he flops as a player or misses every shot, etc...but injury...stay away, it's bad karma.

I'd place as much blame on Cal as the young guy. I am pissed off about how it was handled and agree with your take in regard to that. But having competed against some real pricks who mouth off and act like ass--les, still don't wish injury on them. It's just sports and he did everything he said he'd do-committed to Kentucky, came to school early, and then from there, Cal listened to some '22 players who didn't want Sharpe playing to take minutes and rest played out as it did. Sucks. I get it.

Not telling you to like/support/embrace him. But just wish you wouldn't wish injury on any player. There are players who read this stuff and it's not a great look. Wish he flops as a player or misses every shot, etc...but injury...stay away, it's bad karma.
Except he didn't do everything he said he would do.He said he came early to prepare to play for UK next year and didn't.

Except he didn't do everything he said he would do.He said he came early to prepare to play for UK next year and didn't.
You may disagree, but I always said I’d be fine with him only playing half a season if he helped us make a deep run.

When I found out that him not playing was largely out of his control, I eased up on him, even though I still think the whole situation was handled poorly.

I blame Cal the most, even more considering who he brought back for the 22-23 season and the impact that had on chemistry.

Rookie of the Week: Shaedon Sharpe, SG, Portland​

I haven’t done one of these in a while because I’ve focused on the draft, but we need to circle back and talk about how good Sharpe was over the final weeks of the season. While the Blazers were shutting things down and turning on the reverse thrusters (see above), Portland’s teenage rookie was doing everything in his power to undermine the Blazers’ efforts.

Yes, these were garbage games where the Blazers were often routed (again, see above). But it’s hard to ignore how good Sharpe looked, including in some highly competitive games. He led the way with 27 points, six rebounds and six assists in Portland’s one April win, an upset at Minnesota that cost the Timberwolves home court for Tuesday’s Play-In game. More recently, he had 26 points four assists and two steals in a competitive matchup against the Clippers.

All told, Sharpe averaged 23.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists over the final 10 games on 57.4 percent True Shooting, which is respectable considering what was around him. The 19-year-old Canadian, took a “gap year” while not playing at Kentucky last season and was often invisible playing in an off-ball role for most of the season. But playing with the ball in his hands seems to have unlocked some athletic tools.

Notably, Sharpe is a special leaper who can attack bigs in the paint and finish. While there are elements of his craft (drawing fouls) that remain works in progress, Sharpe’s raw tools when he can get downhill are exhilarating. Watch here as he hustles back to steal a transition pass intended for Kawhi Leonard, then takes it back the other way and glides into a finish over Clippers’ rim protector Ivica Zubac.

Additionally, Sharpe showed some growth as a passer during his stint as the Blazers’ go-to guy. He more than doubled his per 36 assist rate over the final 10 games, and they weren’t all cheapies just from playing on the ball either. Watch here as he finds his path to the rim cut off and invents a kick-out to Kevin Knox for a triple:

Overall, Portland has to be massively encouraged by Sharpe’s season and should already be pondering what that means for its future. With the franchise seemingly committed to the Sisyphean task of winning with Damian Lillard and not much else, Sharpe becomes a huge part of the plan. That makes one wonder if Anfernee Simons— the opening-day starter at the 2, who averaged 21.1 points a game this season and is still only 23 — might become the expendable piece that the Blazers can parlay into some quality size and/or a wing-stopper for the league’s 27th-ranked defense.
Click the link if you wanna watch the video illustrations

Vid has almost 120,000 views …very well documented
Who really cares??? I don't understand why you would even post this stuff.

Reactions: NociHTTP and UK90
So Cal let his players make the decision? What are we paying this man for exactly?

Imagine a general in the army letting a lieutenant run his military campaign. I just don’t get it.

Reactions: Catfan2226
IF that is true then things with Cal are much worse than believed. When the inmates run the asylum.....

IF that is true then things with Cal are much worse than believed. When the inmates run the asylum.....
Trust is one thing I understand. However, in sports, you trust TALENT over everything. I mean Cal himself was saying Sharpe had #1 overall caliber talent--as in #1 in the NBA Draft talent. So he rode with guys who won't sniff the NBA over that. It's one thing if John Wall, AD, DeAaron Fox tell you "Coach we're good"--and I still believe Hamidou should've played in '17--he was the missing piece to what was needed on that team--but you ride with guys who deliver your lone 1st Round loss in your career? Forget not repeating that mistake, it's one that haunts you.

So Cal let his players make the decision? What are we paying this man for exactly?

Imagine a general in the army letting a lieutenant run his military campaign. I just don’t get it.
If you want my opinion on Cal and it's nothing but that, I think his biggest fall from the top has been trying to please everyone. The guy who was appealing enough to get this job would do any/everything and not apologize or care what you thought. Now? He's worried about feelings and honestly the feelings he needs to worry about are those who have told him to quit being so damn nice and quit letting stiffs take up too many roster spots.

Will be interesting to see how this era ends. Any redemption/climb back to the elite or just flame out and fade away?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT