ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be Cal’s swan song and the cupboard will be left bare. It’ll take a hell of an effort by the next guy to change the culture.

Cal got his title, got in the Hall of Fame, and put it on cruise. All the while changing the narrative to “breaking the cycle of generational poverty,” “player empowerment,” “players first,” and so on. He used UK to market himself as some self-righteous, Jaime Escalante wannabe and scoff at any fan who might challenge/question his philosophies.

Now we have a coach who has insulated himself and his program like a downtrodden Howard Hughes. And yeah, I know I’ve made too many weird references here but I don’t care.

I think we’ll get to rock bottom in January with a scenario playing out like the last 3 years. Someone will get “hurt” or stay “hurt”or quit mid year and these young 18-19 year olds will have to ride out the worst chapter in UK basketball history together. All 4 of them. I’m honestly done worrying about it until then.

Eli and Mitch ain’t going anywhere unless they choose to leave. My buddy still says Mitch is retiring in next 1-1.5 years.

Cal is the unknown. I just can’t see Mitch firing him, hiring a new coach, and then retiring. Also, Cal will not allow himself to be fired. His ego is too big for that. He will take another job/retire if he gets wind that it’s a possibility.

Cal aside because enough has been said about his piece of it, I side with Vern on this group.

Love Oscar, but we didn't win Jack with him.

Wheeler is an inexcusable dope.

Livingston was unhappy all year starting for UK? WTF do you even do with that

On and on and on with the players.

At the very least this incoming group has some literal fight in them, a Kentucky stud, and room for some other solid pieces.

I mean...whatever just get me to football season.

I think I’ve had about enough of Rich Paul and all of Klutch Sports. Cal having to meet with these pricks midseason to massage them so Livingston wouldn’t leave the team.

Bradshaw seems like a great kid. Hopefully Cal won’t have to deal with the same nonsense.

Not to mention Klutch has been the main driver in the whole player empowerment movement in the NBA which I’m mostly for but they’ve taken it too far with popularizing the load management and they’ve been a horrible influence on Anthony Davis.

- Payne is gonna roll out a starting five of Skyy Clark, Tre White, Mike James, Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, and Dennis Evans. With Traynor and incoming five-star Trentyn Flowers off the bench. I'm not saying that's an NCAA tournament team, I'm just saying that if Kentucky's roster looks the same on December 1st as it does on June 1st, it will be an interesting afternoon at the Yum Center.

- Had completely forgotten that Blake Griffin was a Celtic this year.

- Nuggets in six.

- Did a set a few months back at Falls City Brewing in Louisville. Doing another one next month at a place in town called Ten20 Craft Brewery in Butchertown. I'm obviously not their target demographic, but even I can tell that these are cool setups for a variety of purposes.

- Of all the delicious food that my wife and her mom put together for my oldest's grad party last week, the real MVP was the sheet cake they got from Costco. Only $16 and tasted unreal. Between stuff like that and their Kirkland products, it's a good thing we live a half-hour away or I'd find an excuse to go there multiple times each week.

- We have seven basketball players. lolz.

-our basketball program is in ruins

-Cal has been a disaster with the new portal landscape. Thankfully whoever replaces him next year will be able to use it correctly to restock the roster when we're left with just Reed, Adou, and walk-ons

-Ten20 is dope. I enjoy

Decided to shoot some hoops this morning with a bunch of much younger dudes. It's a young mans game. At 52, my heart was in it but the body wasn't. I can't do the things I used to do. If only I was about 30 years younger I would've drug those guys no doubt. Welp, that experiment is over and done with.

Klondike recently found 600 Choco Tacos to give away — the last on Earth — and a Taco Tico here in Lexington was the lucky recipient.

The event is limited to one per person, so savor it carefully.

If you want to make history by being one of the last people on Earth to eat a Choco Taco, join the Taco Tico team from 1-4 p.m. on June 14 at 212 Southland Drive

Reactions: jcrow10
Yep... as long as the kids are happy and they can the hell out of here ASAP. I mean, if we can win a few games along the way, that's a nice bonus. 🤮

Reactions: UKMKG
- Payne is gonna roll out a starting five of Skyy Clark, Tre White, Mike James, Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, and Dennis Evans. With Traynor and incoming five-star Trentyn Flowers off the bench. I'm not saying that's an NCAA tournament team, I'm just saying that if Kentucky's roster looks the same on December 1st as it does on June 1st, it will be an interesting afternoon at the Yum Center.

- Had completely forgotten that Blake Griffin was a Celtic this year.

- Nuggets in six.

- Did a set a few months back at Falls City Brewing in Louisville. Doing another one next month at a place in town called Ten20 Craft Brewery in Butchertown. I'm obviously not their target demographic, but even I can tell that these are cool setups for a variety of purposes.

- Of all the delicious food that my wife and her mom put together for my oldest's grad party last week, the real MVP was the sheet cake they got from Costco. Only $16 and tasted unreal. Between stuff like that and their Kirkland products, it's a good thing we live a half-hour away or I'd find an excuse to go there multiple times each week.

- We have seven basketball players. lolz.
Costco cakes for real are legit, no cap

At the very least this incoming group has some literal fight in them
I'm old enough to remember when The Dragon was locking up NBA players in workouts, BJ Boston was the star of the highest profile HS team in the country, Devin Askew was the next Brandon Knight, and Cason Wallace was the DAWG we had been waiting on (to be fair, he was pretty good and miscast).

Anyway, putting any amount of trust in these freshman and coach is a fool's errand. I know it stinks being pessimistic as a fan following a team as what is supposed to be a fun hobby but you see the same terrible movie over and over it's hard to expect it to be good on the next showing.

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

Klondike recently found 600 Choco Tacos to give away — the last on Earth — and a Taco Tico here in Lexington was the lucky recipient.

The event is limited to one per person, so savor it carefully.

If you want to make history by being one of the last people on Earth to eat a Choco Taco, join the Taco Tico team from 1-4 p.m. on June 14 at 212 Southland Drive

That’s unbelievable. Something we as Kentuckians can all be proud of.

- I was initially in the "let Oscar go" camp, but as this off-season has progressed and we have 1) missed out on every transfer target and 2) lost every single potential returnee with any experience whatsoever, I began hoping he would come back. He's a complete sieve on defense, yes, and our coach has absolutely no idea how to prevent those weaknesses from being exploited, but in an offense that is predicated on taking bad shots and getting offensive rebounds, having the best offensive rebounder in 20+ years is a pretty valuable tool. And I'm as big on analytics as anybody, but the dude averaged 21 and 20 in the NCAA tournament, and sometimes that's enough to tell you he would help you.

I hear the "ceiling lowerer" arguments... but what is this team's ceiling anyway? I'm more concerned about raising the floor, and he would almost certainly do that.

- Same with Ware, btw, to a much lesser extent. Although he certainly was used at the 4, quite extensively at times. He played 30 minutes there against Missouri (while Reeves mostly sat the bench).

- Aside from dealing with NIL, the transfer portal seems like a great way to fill out a team, actually. You can fit together pieces that have been tested at the college level. Astute coaches are going to continue to do really well there.

- The season ended 3 months ago but there are three plays that have stuck with me over that time. I took this screenshot after the game:

IbRNBFu.png
This was right after we made a three. For some reason we have 3 guys matching up with 2. As you might expect, about 2 seconds later the guy on the top of the screen made an uncontested lay-up.

The other two were BLOB plays, where we've been absolutely terrible for about 10 years. One came on offense, when KSU knew we were going to lob it over to Oscar's outstretched hand (because we always do), so they sent early help, stole the ball and got a lay-up. The other came when we got confused on a switch on defense and gave up a wide open lay-up on their BLOB (which we do at least once a game).

That's 6 points (which was the margin of victory) given away in an elimination game by things that should've been corrected months, if not years, ago.

- To end on a brighter note, the NBA playoffs have been amazing as always. Nothing new but the NBA looks like a different sport compared to college. The shotmaking and in-game strategy is just on another level. Jokic is probably my favorite player to watch ever, and Denver's offense is just incredible - the off-ball cutting and relocating, the match-up hunting, etc. Highly recommended viewing for any hoops fan.

- Too much is being made public which makes everything seem worse than it is.

Based on what’s being said though I can’t help but feel the whole circle of power around UK Basketball is trying to pressure Cal to change and it’s doing the opposite.

Furthering the idea this is the last run before they burn the mole out.

- No matter what this is a Cal roster and no matter what that alone makes this season intriguing as to if he has lost it.

I don’t think he has, but I think he is burnt out here but makes too much to move on, on his own at least.

- DJ Wagner and Justin Edwards aren’t the dudes to quit on. So, Bradshaw is not going to go the Shaedon Sharpe route IMO.

- If Reeves comes back, and I’d do just about anything including waiting patiently for him, then you really only need 1 more big, and that doesn’t mean a 6-11 tall kid, but a 6-6 guy that can rebound and can work inside the 3pt line works.

Reactions: klambert6
This is actually Calipari’s philosophy and frankly he’s been pretty open about it. We just ignored it when we were able to construct a roster.
💯 agree and I think we ignored it because all lottery picks still went to college then and the whole "we care about these kids first and foremost" felt like effective messaging. Winning of course would solve it all, but it's clear now that the "care for the kids" included an unspoken "... and the program itself is only a tool for caring for the kids", which wasn't what any of us signed up for.

The reality (sad, perhaps) is that we WERE willing to put Wall/Davis level kids "above the program" given the success that they would bring on the court. It rings a bit more hollow with recruits that are working to get to lottery-level versus an obvious #1 overall pick.

Reactions: rudd1
Krazy… Send MilqueToast an email about a bourbon sponsored NIL deal that would securely keep Reeves in Lexington. Would be a huge hit with Barnhart and BBN could thank you for salvaging the season.

I did sponsor the local high school and kids football program, but there is no incentive other than I believe in the leaders of the group in charge and what they are doing for my community. To me it was a no brainer even though it was more than I expected.

I still do not understand at all how NIL and it’s college application makes any sense at all other than the coach/school has a list of companies to talk to and try to throw money at a kid in hopes that it one day comes back to them which is the worst small business decision one could make.

So obviously when I hear reports kids aren’t earning what was expected I’d say it’s because said business has to contractually protect their interest and offer incentive based pay to which the kids do not understand the difference of pay and what it takes to get top dollar.

Eventually what this will lead to is allowing these kids to have agents manage “NIL” before going to the pros. That’s the move and honestly the way it’s been handled so far it’s about the only way to reign this Wild West formula in.

Last edited:
Reactions: rudd1
Today marks 15 years of keeping a detailed running log:

29,215.38 miles
2,366 runs
12.35 avg run
1,249 runs of half marathon distance or longer

And yes I know no one asked for or cares about these stats.
🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️
I’ve often wished I had done this. Guess I can start anytime. I would put myself around 12-15k miles over last 10-12 years.

I can however, tell you where every single $.01 of my spend has went over the last 5 years.

Beagle, please tell me some of the early logs note the "treadmill only" mileage and the grief from this thread as you transitioned that to road mileage. :)

Reactions: legalbeagle123
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT