ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN saying Cal should be the 1st call for Texas

Are you a long term UK fan? UK basketball has and always will be at the top of the college basketball food chain. There are 4-5 schools where this will never change UK being one. If Cal leaves UK will be fine. I never have understood the hand wringing on the subject. Three of the past four coaches have all won titles at UK. Kentucky is bigger than any coach.
You can't take this for granted any longer. Times have changed, there is absolutely no guarantee that ANY program will remain great because of past greatness. UCLA hasn't won a title in 28 years. Indiana has fallen from blueblood status just in the past few years. Duke and UNC are in flux right now and could easily fall from the college basketball elite.

Unlike UNC and Duke, we do have stability with our coach. This is not the time to test our resolve as a program.

Except the next class is arguably the best class he has ever had and one of the top 5 classes ever in college basketball.
Pretty similar to this year's Duke class. Are they dominant? Pls tell us how you think that UK class would be a contender.

Reactions: dl51344
Cal makes 0 sense for Texas. An aging coach with retirement coming soon. Understand why the fans would want this right now but highly doubtful it happens. If it did happen, the only recruit who would stay committed would be Sheppard. Rest would leave. Not a threat, just sharing reality.

For Kentucky the question fans need to ask is do you trust the AD to make a good hire? If there's any remote truth to the fact that he views Holtmann at Ohio State as an option, let alone a top tier option, he shouldn't be allowed to conduct an interview, let alone make a hire. Holtmann is a step down from how Cal is/has been coaching in recent years. That's not a praise of Cal either, it's a strong take on how awful Holtmann is and would be for this level of program.
Who is a "good hire"? Who can we get to come here? Those may be two different things. Who is willing and able to re-build what Cal has caused this program to become? The harm he has done will live after he is gone, the good is already gone.

Those recruits didn’t come for Kentucky. They came for Cal. Reed would be only one to stay. I would prefer to give Cal a couple more years. I am in the minority on this board, but just how I feel
You are in the minority on this board. As am I. But we are not in the minority among the UK fanbase. Just within the past year I've been to Tampa, The Bahamas, London and was at the St Peters game. You don't hear anything like you hear on the internet when you attend those functions. Maybe after the St Peters game some fans sounded like they came from here?

I have never spoken in the real world to a true basketball person, (players at all levels, coaches at all levels, announcers or even rival fans}, that say Cal can't coach. Sure, many do not like how Cal coaches or how he acts on the sidelines. But no one ever says he can't coach.

I'm OK with Cal going though. The program is bigger than Cal and if he doesn't want to be here then he should go. We would lose most of next year's class but we would recover.

Cal has supposedly taken the luster off the UK program. From what I read here and some other sites. But you sure can't tell that when you go to games at other SEC venues. They are always sold out when UK comes into town. It's always some kind of special night and they have been waiting for the day.

If someone doesn't believe that then they need to get out there.

I'd say Cal is at the sunset of coaching in general. It's not about money anymore and starting over at a new pressure packed job doesn't seem to be in him anymore. I'd also say he likely plans to get through a year or two here and ride off into the $$$$$$$$$unset.
Don't see how there is any other outcome that makes sense.

Reactions: Ole Poop
People better be careful what they wish for. Cal leaves and takes his #1 class (probably adds Jackson to it) plus what UT returns and wins a national title next year. Would be crippling to UK.
He isn’t winning another natty at KY.….. If he were to leave and take his class with him, I’m still not sure he wins at Texas either unless he takes a serious look in the mirror and changes his priorities.

NIL changes the landscape. I have no doubts a few from that class would stay as long as the coach was decent enough. Reed isn’t going anywhere, and with the portal + whatever recruits the new coach would bring?

I’ll take my chances and let Wagner follow Calipari to Texas. Calipari is not UK material.

You can't take this for granted any longer. Times have changed, there is absolutely no guarantee that ANY program will remain great because of past greatness. UCLA hasn't won a title in 28 years. Indiana has fallen from blueblood status just in the past few years. Duke and UNC are in flux right now and could easily fall from the college basketball elite.

Unlike UNC and Duke, we do have stability with our coach. This is not the time to test our resolve as a program.
Stability? You call what we have stability? Just having the same guy keep doing what he's doing over and over again(that isn't working) isn't stability.

People better be careful what they wish for. Cal leaves and takes his #1 class (probably adds Jackson to it) plus what UT returns and wins a national title next year. Would be crippling to UK.
Doubtful Texas calls, hopeful COW leaves if they do, only crippling if he stays.

NIL changes the landscape. I have no doubts a few from that class would stay as long as the coach was decent enough. Reed isn’t going anywhere, and with the portal + whatever recruits the new coach would bring?

I’ll take my chances and let Wagner follow Calipari to Texas. Calipari is not UK material.
UK isn't for everybody

Reactions: Gromcat

What"greatness"? You been living in a cave the last few years lol?

If Cal entertains it I think it shows his heart isn’t really in it anymore at Kentucky, and I think it would be best for both parties to go their separate ways.
Ron: I agree with you 100% but I think back several years on how a situation like this happened and the coach of a really good team flirted with another team and their AD had a set of balls on him and fired the coach right then.
Michigan AD fired their coach, Fischer I believe his name; he was talking with Arizona St during the finals and Michigan AD said he won't have it any other way, a Michigan man will be on his bench.
If Cal talks to Texas, we will see what Mitch has to show.

No it wouldn't. As long as he leaves Kentucky I don't care what Cal does after. But if you think he wins a title at another school I would say you're crazy

Ron: I agree with you 100% but I think back several years on how a situation like this happened and the coach of a really good team flirted with another team and their AD had a set of balls on him and fired the coach right then.
Michigan AD fired their coach, Fischer I believe his name; he was talking with Arizona St during the finals and Michigan AD said he won't have it any other way, a Michigan man will be on his bench.
No chance in hell Mitch would do that

You are in the minority on this board. As am I. But we are not in the minority among the UK fanbase. Just within the past year I've been to Tampa, The Bahamas, London and was at the St Peters game. You don't hear anything like you hear on the internet when you attend those functions. Maybe after the St Peters game some fans sounded like they came from here?

I have never spoken in the real world to a true basketball person, (players at all levels, coaches at all levels, announcers or even rival fans}, that say Cal can't coach. Sure, many do not like how Cal coaches or how he acts on the sidelines. But no one ever says he can't coach.

I'm OK with Cal going though. The program is bigger than Cal and if he doesn't want to be here then he should go. We would lose most of next year's class but we would recover.

Cal has supposedly taken the luster off the UK program. From what I read here and some other sites. But you sure can't tell that when you go to games at other SEC venues. They are always sold out when UK comes into town. It's always some kind of special night and they have been waiting for the day.

If someone doesn't believe that then they need to get out there.

Nonsense. The vast majority of UK fans are done with Calipari. He’s being boo’d in Rupp Arena for Pete’s sake. Some of you are thick to the core.

The last word you can use to describe Calipari is “sustainability”. This whole post is just nonsense.

The blue bloods who’ve always been won’t be going anywhere because they’ll spend the most money on NIL. You’re lost. UCLA is a pro town that doesn’t care about college sports anymore. That’s why they went downward. Indiana held on to a coach way too long and then made horrible hires from his tree trying to replicate it. Similar to what you’d want us to do. I guarantee you were one of the ones wanting Payne to replace Calipari. I can almost guarantee you floated that nonsense but won’t admit it.

Calipari isn’t UK material and hasn’t been for a while. His name marketing has sold you and you’re unable to see past it. Calipari is garbage, by record, and hasn’t been fit for this job for a long time.

Wake up. Get a clue. Figure something out. Do better.

These kinds of post are just ridiculous.

Reactions: bigbluedon
IMO Cal will never win another title no matter where he coaches- the game has passed him by and he refuses to adapt- great ambassador, great recruiter but not a good coach

Not interested in Holtmann.

But I'd take a BIG swing at Jay Wright and even Brad Stevens. Even assuming those would be resounding no's we're Kentucky and that's a call we should make.

Musselman at Arkansas would be a really attractive one for me. Love the guy's energy.
Musslemann who is almost 60 years old and has never been to a Final Four....sounds awesome.

So Texas pays $55 million just to negotiate with Coach Cal, and also likely demand at least 8 mill per a year. I can’t believe people are actually talking about this. It has to be Click bait.

People believe in sympathetic magic: if enough people repeat something, it must be true.

I just don’t see cal leaving on a bad note. If he leaves for Texas I think it means we win it all this season or make a deep run. I think he’ll want his reputation to be salvaged

How many championships has Cal won here with 5 freshman starting? How many championships have been won anywhere with 5 freshman starting?

We’re always waiting on the next class. It’s the same song and dance every year. Just wait until this next class gets here.
How many has he won with a T5 class every season? This year's class , except for Sheppard, I'm sure all have aspirations of being oad. That means he's going to have to start 3 guys 6'3(giving benefit of doubt on sizes listeded) or under. Surely the other two are expecting to start as well and with CCC'S history they will be given preferential treatment. Can you win a championship with a team no bigger than a HS team? They're lots of questions even if they all are as good as their accolades say they are?

Last edited:
You got some of the story right, but the names and details wrong.

That was the 88-89 season, Michigan coach Bill Frieder had been having secret talks with Arizona State to become their coach the following year. Bo Schembechler (then both their AD and football coach) learned about it and immediately fired him on the spot mid-season and replaced him with Fischer.

Turns out Bo knew what he was doing, because that Michigan team (which was insanely loaded, btw) rallied under Fischer and went on to win the title.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYExtemper
U_HAUL_LOGO.jpg

You got some of the story right, but the names and details wrong.

That was the 88-89 season, Michigan coach Bill Frieder had been having secret talks with Arizona State to become their coach the following year. Bo Schembechler (then both their AD and football coach) learned about it and immediately fired him on the spot mid-season and replaced him with Fischer.

Turns out Bo knew what he was doing, because that Michigan team (which was insanely loaded, btw) rallied under Fischer and went on to win the title.
Thanks, I knew it was Michigan and just remembered their AD kicking that coach out ASAP
Again, thank you correcting me.

Reactions: UK90

Agree to disagree. I stand by what I said.

You want Cal gone, that's how you feel and that's totally cool. I just think UK fans better be careful what they wish for. We would lose the entire 2023 class and you would be betting someone great would certainly replace Cal. I don't think that's something you can count on. Remember BCG? Who is coming here that is a top notch coach that wants to replace Cal and deal with the UK fans?
If we had a top notch coach at the moment you might actually make some sense.

I just don’t see cal leaving on a bad note. If he leaves for Texas I think it means we win it all this season or make a deep run. I think he’ll want his reputation to be salvaged
He's not been doing anything at all differently to salvage his reputation, though. I think he might like to salvage it, but he doesn't seem to care enough to make any changes whatsoever to make that happen.

Nonsense. The vast majority of UK fans are done with Calipari. He’s being boo’d in Rupp Arena for Pete’s sake. Some of you are thick to the core.
They may have been a few boo'ing in Rupp? But you could barely hear it if there was any. Rupp holds about 20K now. So how many boo'ed, 100?

But I love the personal attacks. Proves you have no facts.

They may have been a few boo'ing in Rupp? But you could barely hear it if there was any. Rupp holds about 20K now. So how many boo'ed, 100?

But I love the personal attacks. Proves you have no facts.

It’s been verified that yes he’s being boo’d a good but at the games. I know it for a fact. I don’t care what you are able to hear on intro’s through the TV.

To believe Calipari hasn’t lost this fan base is one of the most ridiculous things you could say so I’m sorry I don’t take you serious.

Reactions: delk4three
So Texas pays $55 million just to negotiate with Coach Cal, and also likely demand at least 8 mill per a year. I can’t believe people are actually talking about this. It has to be Click bait.
I would expect it to be a 3 way negotiation, somewhere in the middle. So maybe Cal gets a $20M sign-on bonus with a 3 year payback (so he pays it back if he leaves in less than 2 years), and then he gets a $9M/yr contract, and UK pays his first year salary at Texas.
So Cal maintains his salary and gets part of the buyout, and UK essentially pays half of the reduced by half buyout (so a quarter).
That is just an example, not the exact #'s.

It’s been verified that yes he’s being boo’d a good but at the games. I know it for a fact. I don’t care what you are able to hear on intro’s through the TV.

To believe Calipari hasn’t lost this fan base is one of the most ridiculous things you could say so I’m sorry I don’t take you serious.
I agree. I consider myself a pretty level headed calmer fan these days. In my 20's and 30's not so much but now UK basketball isn't as life or death as it used to be, but I still get excited for our games(big games) and a little upset when we lose. Most of my friends back in Lex are the same as me. And I say this honestly, HE HAS LOST ALL OF US. some of us don't get excited for the games or stopped going. We are sick of the lack of coaching(no inbound plays, no FT practice, no zone defense, no screens to get shooter open etc), it's just become a joke at this point. He's almost a joke at this point with the things he says in press conferences. I mean the results with too 2 recruiting classes have not been there. That's coaching. My point to this is that you are dead wrong. He has lost a lot of the fan base. When you lose all the middle ground fans I know, you e lost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT