ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN saying Cal should be the 1st call for Texas

Fear mongering. He won’t win a title with all freshman

Has he called Jai Lucas for some feedback?

I’m afraid the basketball audience is not big enough for Cal in Texas

People better be careful what they wish for. Cal leaves and takes his #1 class (probably adds Jackson to it) plus what UT returns and wins a national title next year. Would be crippling to UK.
I think it's a big assumption that we would lose an entire (or even most of it) class. This isn't players choosing to not go to mid-major Memphis with a first-time coach to follow Calipari to "THE BLUE BLOOD PROGRAM".

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I don't see Cal taking the Texas job. The are big football state. IF Cal was to leave UK will be fine. UK will have no problems getting another good coach and with the transfer portal the way it is now the new coach would be able to get some very good players .

Who is hiring the coach? Any fan on this board could hire a better coach than mitch will pick. If he signs holtman are u really telling me u that u are pumping your fist in glee?

I'm fine if calipari goes but I have 0 faith in mitch to hire the right replacement. He has hired more duds than quality candidates.

Texas has deep pockets and could certainly offer an impressive package. But if Cal thinks UK football is getting too much attention at a "basketball school", what does he think it will be like at Texas? Football rules there, no two ways about it. Expectations certainly lower, and maybe at his age that's a plus. S16 and E8, maybe a F4 once in a while.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I can’t see him talking to Texas just for leverage. He has a fantastic (for him) agreement with Kentucky.
If he does talk to them, it would be for serious interest I believe.
There’s nothing more he can leverage us for. He already squeezed the most lucrative contract extension in the history of the sport out of us when he leveraged UCLA’s interest against us. He’d be utterly delusional to think he can squeeze even more out of UK on top of what he’s already got.

So yeah, I agree, the only way he talks to UT is if he really wants to leave. And I hope he does …getting out from under that ludicrous contract would be the best thing that could happen to the UK athletic department right now.

If Cal entertains it I think it shows his heart isn’t really in it anymore at Kentucky, and I think it would be best for both parties to go their separate ways.
Nah. Cal is all about the money and his ego.

If he entertains the UT job, it will be for more leverage so that his agent can get some more out of Mitch, or grab a record breaking deal for a basketball coach at UT.

Money and ego will definitely get Cal's attention. He would love to sign a record deal, thumb his nose at the Basketball Bennies and take his #1 recruiting class to Austin.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
How could we EVER recover? Haven't we had the #1 and #2 recruiting class every year for the past 7? How crippling would it actually be?

You're one of the most bipolar posters I've seen here. Game threads you're the bashiest basher ever.
Who has brought in these #1 and #2 recruiting classes? How many top 2 recruiting classes did Kentucky have before Cal?

People better be careful what they wish for. Cal leaves and takes his #1 class (probably adds Jackson to it) plus what UT returns and wins a national title next year. Would be crippling to UK.
I’m pretty sure the players in this class have all already signed. Which means Cal can’t take them unless UK expressly allows it.

Who is hiring the coach? Any fan on this board could hire a better coach than mitch will pick. If he signs holtman are u really telling me u that u are pumping your fist in glee?

I'm fine if calipari goes but I have 0 faith in mitch to hire the right replacement. He has hired more duds than quality candidates.
Spot on

So you would be ok with Cal going to Texas and taking all of next years recruits with him and we end up with someone like Chris Holtman with a bare cupboard of recruits? You would be happier with that?
He isn't taking all the recruits. This is Kentucky and the name still has shine.
And Hell Yes. I mean what are you scared of? Going 9-16 or out the first round in the tournament?
It's way past time for some fresh air and hope to be restored to the program.

Seems like Cal has taken the brand Kentucky down so far with his "player's first" stuff that he's actually convinced Kentucky fans that Kentucky isn't Kentucky without Cal.

It is.
As I alluded to in another thread, I'm almost convinced we have some very young people on here who don't remember the Kentucky brand before Calipari, and they can't conceive that the program is bigger than any one coach.

Cal makes 0 sense for Texas. An aging coach with retirement coming soon. Understand why the fans would want this right now but highly doubtful it happens. If it did happen, the only recruit who would stay committed would be Sheppard. Rest would leave. Not a threat, just sharing reality.

For Kentucky the question fans need to ask is do you trust the AD to make a good hire? If there's any remote truth to the fact that he views Holtmann at Ohio State as an option, let alone a top tier option, he shouldn't be allowed to conduct an interview, let alone make a hire. Holtmann is a step down from how Cal is/has been coaching in recent years. That's not a praise of Cal either, it's a strong take on how awful Holtmann is and would be for this level of program.

Texas is a football school. A football state. While Texas basketball fans may be more accepting of Cal's coaching mediocrity, Cal's ego wouldn't allow him to coach in a football environment like that. He has to be the main attraction. He's a HOFer dagnabit!

Not interested in Holtmann.

But I'd take a BIG swing at Jay Wright and even Brad Stevens. Even assuming those would be resounding no's we're Kentucky and that's a call we should make.

Musselman at Arkansas would be a really attractive one for me. Love the guy's energy.

Because should it happen I believe he takes the class, all his recruiters and the Nike focus with him. Texas perhaps becomes the "it" program that we once were and aspire to be again.
Are you a long term UK fan? UK basketball has and always will be at the top of the college basketball food chain. There are 4-5 schools where this will never change UK being one. If Cal leaves UK will be fine. I never have understood the hand wringing on the subject. Three of the past four coaches have all won titles at UK. Kentucky is bigger than any coach.

He isn't taking all the recruits. This is Kentucky and the name still has shine.
And Hell Yes. I mean what are you scared of? Going 9-16 or out the first round in the tournament?
It's way past time for some fresh air and hope to be restored to the program.
Those recruits didn’t come for Kentucky. They came for Cal. Reed would be only one to stay. I would prefer to give Cal a couple more years. I am in the minority on this board, but just how I feel

Those recruits didn’t come for Kentucky. They came for Cal. Reed would be only one to stay. I would prefer to give Cal a couple more years. I am in the minority on this board, but just how I feel
You're definitely hanging on for dear life at this point, I'll give you that.

Maybe Cal will turn it around.

What he is saying is that with all of Cal's top 2 recruiting classes at UK, he still only won 1 title. So bringing in top recruiting classes has not seemed to make a (significant) difference.
I don't know how the guy missed my point there. Thought maybe I wasn't clear. Thanks for letting me know I'm not a bad communicator :D

Drew is an interesting one to me. How many times has a college coach left for another college job pretty fresh off winning a title at their current school?

Reactions: track42
LOL this message board will be in meltdown mode if this UK team turns it around at the end of the season. Not saying they're going to win tomorrow but it will be hilarious to see the flip flop from some posters on here. It would be like they're rooting for UK to lose.
Both sides of this Calipari debate vanish when game results go opposite of their agendas.

Just this week we won two games, and actually started having obvious offensive sets and coaching (albeit not for the full game). I saw people come out of the woodwork that I've never (or rarely) seen post here, and almost none of the usual Randy Quaid/Major League Debbie Downers posting. And they weren't the typical Cal Lovers - these were what I feel are fans like me - agitated, frustrated, but hopeful we can make something of this because with this absurd buyout, Calipari isn't leaving until either he's ready, or he flops on his ass these next two years. Most fans I feel are in this category - they see the issues, but they are hopeful by nature.

Go back to Missouri - all we had were 40 separate threads from the "hater" side with the usual "lovers" sprinkling their unicorn sparkly farts inside each topic (one thing I do notice is that the "lovers" we all know so well never start their own threads - they just bounce around inside of "hater" threads and toot rainbows).

Then you have the juvenile "call out" threads that I can't stand that pop out after either a negative or a positive outing. Or the lovers clinging to one positive in a bad outing, and haters searching like mad for negatives in a good outing.

It's tiring, but it is what it is. If we somehow turn this season around and shock people (by this I mean a solid SEC win/loss record, SECT championship or competitive runner-up, and at least E8 NCAAT outing), we won't see much different in respect to the haters and lovers topics. In fact, I fully expect to see the following responses to such a scenario:

Lovers: Ha! See! Told you haters! Crawl back under your miserable rocks, Cal ain't going anywhere! Viva Calipari!

Haters: There you go Calipari. Here's your chance to go out somewhat on top. Thanks for the improvements, but you got lucky and are still a shitty coach. Please leave while you can still get a good job elsewhere.

Middle of the road: I'm worried we'll end up with another BCG! Great recruiting class coming in next year, let's see what he can do one more time.

I have a question for Kentucky fans from out of state who just became Kentucky fans during Cal's tenure.

Will you still be a Kentucky fan when he leaves? I'm just curious in your investment in the program as a fan. @LineSkiCat14 not totally calling you out here because you've shared your frustrations with Cal recently as well. I'm just really curious how that dynamic as a college basketball fan works.

Solution:

Texas hires Calipari and easily pays the $50 million buyout. The emphasis to win championships at Texas is more on football.

Kentucky hires Scott Drew. He's a strong recruiter and has won it all without a 5 star starting 5.
I'd be open to this, but not until end of season. Simply can't see (nor do I want to see) this happen right at the start of conference play.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Cal makes 0 sense for Texas. An aging coach with retirement coming soon. Understand why the fans would want this right now but highly doubtful it happens. If it did happen, the only recruit who would stay committed would be Sheppard. Rest would leave. Not a threat, just sharing reality.

For Kentucky the question fans need to ask is do you trust the AD to make a good hire? If there's any remote truth to the fact that he views Holtmann at Ohio State as an option, let alone a top tier option, he shouldn't be allowed to conduct an interview, let alone make a hire. Holtmann is a step down from how Cal is/has been coaching in recent years. That's not a praise of Cal either, it's a strong take on how awful Holtmann is and would be for this level of program.

Holtman would never be offered the UK job. That’s rafters nonsense. Barnhart had the basketball hire made for him last go around, after that awful contract and the Gillispie hire he won’t be making the next either.

I think they came to UK because they saw the COMBINATION of Cal & his NBA connections, his history of getting players to the NBA and succeeding there, their personal connections with one of our assistant coaches, playing at a Blood Blood that is on National TV EVERY GAME, NIL, and even liking the university/city/setting. So yeah, Cal is part of it, maybe a big part, but NOT all of it.
So I would bet we do not lose 4 of the 5 (only keeping Sheppard). I would say we keep 2, possibly 3 of them.

Also, while it is the #1 class, it is a class that is considered weak. There's no Wall or Cousins in that class, no Davis, no Randle, no Towns, probably not (significantly) better than Skal, Murray, Briscoe, Matthews or than Fox, Bam, Monk, Gabriel, SKJ or than Knox, PJ, Green, Diallo, SGA, Richards, Vanderbilt (6 of those 7 are in NBA), or than Herro, Johnson, Hagans, Quickley, Montgomery, Baker.

Reactions: delk4three
Mitch should call Texas AD and tell him they come and have Cal all they have to do is the over the contract he now has with UK. Then press Cal to go. Everyone is now happy.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
So Texas pays $55 million just to negotiate with Coach Cal, and also likely demand at least 8 mill per a year. I can’t believe people are actually talking about this. It has to be Click bait.

Reactions: Sejonesy
I have a question for Kentucky fans from out of state who just became Kentucky fans during Cal's tenure.

Will you still be a Kentucky fan when he leaves? I'm just curious in your investment in the program as a fan. @LineSkiCat14 not totally calling you out here because you've shared your frustrations with Cal recently as well. I'm just really curious how that dynamic as a college basketball fan works.

Well just to clarify, I became a fan during the end of Tubby's tenure. I wanted to get into college basketball towards the end of HS, which was around 2004. Granted, I knew very little at this time, but started to follow guys like Pat Sparks, and then onto guys like Meeks and Patrick Patterson. Just want to point out that I got started before Cal and didn't know much about him when he got hired, other than his recent runs with Memphis, and guys like CDR and Rose.

I'm not tied to Cal being here. I've stood my ground on this, in that if he continues to not improve then I will continue to sour on him. But I was not ready to throw him overboard just because we lost to KState in 2018.

It's probably time for him to go after next years super class. He'd have to do some serious winning (and changing) for me to want to keep him around.

I'll still be a Kentucky fan.. But I will say I'm not as optimistic about our future after Cal as some might be. Maybe more "concerned" than anything.

This account was from Summer of 2015.. but I originally had Lineskicat before it got banned for one reason or another. And before that, I had another account that I think dated back to like.. 2008ish.

That first account, I got my ass chewed out several times on The Paddock, for wandering into a place I wasn't quite ready for.

• Haha
Reactions: STL_Cat
I'd say Cal is at the sunset of coaching in general. It's not about money anymore and starting over at a new pressure packed job doesn't seem to be in him anymore. I'd also say he likely plans to get through a year or two here and ride off into the $$$$$$$$$unset.

Last edited:

I am not sure there is any proof Mitch is enamored with Holtman. If there is I would like to see it. I have a hard time believing it.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT