ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN saying Cal should be the 1st call for Texas

Rooting for UK to lose and discussion/analysis of what we are seeing from Cal and the team/program are two very different things. I doubt that there are more than 2% of the posters here that want UK to lose. The stuff Cal does and says should concern any UK fan.
This. 2% isn’t even noticeable. Except for those with an agenda

Reactions: dl51344
So, You think Musselman isn’t a good basketball coach? You do realize that he spent the majority of his career coaching in the NBA and wasn’t a head coach in college until the 2015-16 season?

I didn't say that. I think he is very good. But, I don't think he is such a sure thing or slam dunk like others on here do.

I didn't say that. I think he is very good. But, I don't think he is such a sure thing or slam dunk like others on here do.
Sure, but it is a little disingenuous to point out that he's never been to a Final Four considering he spent most of his career coaching in the NBA.

How are you such a shill for Calipari in threads like this but CRUSH the team and coaches in game threads? I just don't understand

Sure, but it is a little disingenuous to point out that he's never been to a Final Four considering he spent most of his career coaching in the NBA.

How are you such a shill for Calipari in threads like this but CRUSH the team and coaches in game threads? I just don't understand

You don't understand how you can be angry or upset about an individual game but still support and not want to fire the coach?

Do you have kids, a wife, family member? You ever get so pissed at them for certain actions or something that they do but still not want to divorce, give them up for adoption?

You don't understand how you can be angry or upset about an individual game but still support and not want to fire the coach?

Do you have kids, a wife, family member? You ever get so pissed at them for certain actions or something that they do but still not want to divorce, give them up for adoption?
I have a family I love very much, and no, we don't always get along.

You do you brother.

Reactions: deep3
Yes, because your are assuming Cal won’t underachieve with that recruiting class. Based on the current trend we will still suck next year regardless of who the players are.
So you would be ok with Cal going to Texas and taking all of next years recruits with him and we end up with someone like Chris Holtman with a bare cupboard of recruits? You would be happier with that?

Like who? …can you link examples of those claiming he’s a “sure thing”?

I think all rational posters know that no hire is a guaranteed sure thing. But discounting a guy like Musselman because of no final fours is just dumb logic. Final Four achievement should be measured against final four opportunity, and he hasn’t had much fair FF opportunity. He’s only been a college coach since 2016, and by all accounts has done a tremendous jobs at both stops during that time. Oh, so he didn’t reach a FF at Nevada? So what, nobody else did either ….he still did better than anyone else ever did at that school.

You’re straining mightily if that’s your best argument against him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
There is little to no chance Calipari is leaving a job where he has a lifetime contract to go coach in Texas.

He’d come back and beat our ass. Their NIL deals will dwarf ours.

If Calipari leaves and takes his recruiting class it would suck for a year but we would recover and long term it would be good for the school. He is past his prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Are you a long term UK fan? UK basketball has and always will be at the top of the college basketball food chain. There are 4-5 schools where this will never change UK being one. If Cal leaves UK will be fine. I never have understood the hand wringing on the subject. Three of the past four coaches have all won titles at UK. Kentucky is bigger than any coach.
Born and raised and bleed blue since 1971. There is ZERO doubt that Kentucky is bigger than any one person. I was speaking in the short term not the long. I think it’s a bit naive to think that we wouldn’t feel a brief negative impact if he were to take an entire (minus Sheppard) #1 recruiting class to Texas with him like he did the Wall class when he came he from Memphis. The point is moot as it’s unlikely to happen anyway.

Reactions: Mike_Edwards
People better be careful what they wish for. Cal leaves and takes his #1 class (probably adds Jackson to it) plus what UT returns and wins a national title next year. Would be crippling to UK.
As opposed to wondering if we are going to make the tourney in December ?

Reactions: bigbluedon
So you're saying there's a chance?

CalTex.jpg

Reactions: UKAlum84
People better be careful what they wish for. Cal leaves and takes his #1 class (probably adds Jackson to it) plus what UT returns and wins a national title next year. Would be crippling to UK.
Win a Natty, LOL You could give the guy NBA MVPs and Players on the covers of video games and he couldn't win. Texas better throw in a clause that he has to allow someone else to run the offense.

If he does go to Texas and win he will have to completely change his style and Texas might be an excuse for him to do that. He has had every chance to do it here but has refused.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
How could we EVER recover? Haven't we had the #1 and #2 recruiting class every year for the past 7? How crippling would it actually be?

You're one of the most bipolar posters I've seen here. Game threads you're the bashiest basher ever.
I guess you missed the point that UK had the #1 or #2 classes because of Cal. Was UK getting #1 or #2 classes with Tubby or Billy G? Some UK fans are really clueless.

Having said that, LSU didn’t have any scholarship players after Will Cheating Wade was fired but their new coach put together a pretty good roster although those were mostly portal players not freshmen.

I guess you missed the point that UK had the #1 or #2 classes because of Cal. Was UK getting #1 or #2 classes with Tubby or Billy G? Some UK fans are really clueless.

Having said that, LSU didn’t have any scholarship players after Will Cheating Wade was fired but their new coach put together a pretty good roster although those were mostly portal players not freshmen.
And I guess YOU missed the point I was making, too.

My point was we’ve been getting the #1 and #2 recruiting classes year after year under Cal, we haven’t gotten a 1 seed in the longest stretch in the history of the program. You completely missed my point. Recruiting class rankings are worthless when that’s the result.

And I guess YOU missed the point I was making, too.

My point was we’ve been getting the #1 and #2 recruiting classes year after year under Cal, we haven’t gotten a 1 seed in the longest stretch in the history of the program. You completely missed my point. Recruiting class rankings are worthless when that’s the result.
Read his post history and you’ll see you're wasting your time talking to him. It’s embarrassing if he really is a UK fan.

Cal has a vendetta against Kentucky fans and you’ll never convince me otherwise. There’s too many actual crazies, like really deranged, amongst us who have ruined it for the millions of good ones.

I can’t see him talking to Texas just for leverage. He has a fantastic (for him) agreement with Kentucky.
If he does talk to them, it would be for serious interest I believe.
Yeah Barney might give him the double lifetime contract. If Texas wants to hire cal and pay him well cal will be better off with a fresh start. Uk too. If cal is set (and I don’t think he’s close) to retiring after next season then ok whatever. But unless he does a massive 180 on the season and pull a last year UNC run then he should take the Texas job.

If you think Cal's leaving like this to a team heading to the SEC you're crazy. He is very calculated and he isn't trying to leave in defeat only to have to return to Rupp almost immediately. That one game alone would keep him from a job just to make sure the BB bennies dont get the best of him. Yes, I think it's a 20 million or so pretty decesion over having to play us right out the gate.

So you would be ok with Cal going to Texas and taking all of next years recruits with him and we end up with someone like Chris Holtman with a bare cupboard of recruits? You would be happier with that?
Good God I'm not afraid of any change except Chris Holtzman. He is the closest thing to a BCG hire out there. Give me a nobody over a dude like him.

If he can do it at Texas next year, why not do it at Kentucky last year? If he’s able to make Texas the “it” program, why is he unable to do it currently? There is nothing stopping him from doing it at Kentucky.
This might quite possibly be the absolute most-logical post I’ve ever seen on this board. I’m feeling ways about it because it is so true.

ADVERTISEMENT