ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN saying Cal should be the 1st call for Texas

I didn't read through the whole thread yet, but who's to say the hiring isn't taken away from Barnhart? Wasn't it already with Cal? Mitch has had a lot of questionable actions in recent years.

He gives Cal this ridiculous contract extension. He gives Stoops a ridiculous pay raise in the middle of a disappointing year. He makes Elzy the permanent head coach because of a 3 game stretch in the SEC Tournament. They then lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The baseball hire has been horrible.

While it's not recent, he also had the Joker and Gillispie hires and Tubby extension with no buyout. He can only really hang his hat on the minor sports and Stoops. Let's hope someone else like Mike Pratt steps up in the hiring process again.

I can’t see him talking to Texas just for leverage. He has a fantastic (for him) agreement with Kentucky.
If he does talk to them, it would be for serious interest I believe.

Yeah I don't think he has any leverage left tbh. We would get a good coach if not great and they could bring any recruits with them too. Also, with the transfer portal things are totally different now. Saying all this as I would assume we'd lose the whole class less Reed. It would be a challenge though, would probably lose Collins, Thiero and others.

Yeah I don't think he has any leverage left tbh. We would get a good coach if not great and they could bring any recruits with them too. Also, with the transfer portal things are totally different now. Saying all this as I would assume we'd lose the whole class less Reed. It would be a challenge though, would probably lose Collins, Thiero and others.
I would hate to lose either because they both seem like really good kids. Thiero would be a tougher kiss from a basketball perspective. Losing Collins is like losing Marcus Lee.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I would hate to lose either because they both seem like really good kids. Thiero would be a tougher kiss from a basketball perspective. Losing Collins is like losing Marcus Lee.

Well I think we'd lose both probably. Thiero is obviously a Cal connection and then Collins goes home to Texas.

TBH I'd much prefer riding it out with Cal through next season. Some will disagree...all good, I get it.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Well I think we'd lose both probably. Thiero is obviously a Cal connection and then Collins goes home to Texas.

TBH I'd much prefer riding it out with Cal through next season. Some will disagree...all good, I get it.
As frustrated as I am, I actually agree with this. Give him through next year as long as this year doesn’t turn out to be a complete disaster (ie miss the tournament or have another 1st round loss). If he can’t have success this year with the returning NPOY or next year with the supposed “best class ever” you HAVE to move on. Have to.

People better be careful what they wish for. Cal leaves and takes his #1 class (probably adds Jackson to it) plus what UT returns and wins a national title next year. Would be crippling to UK.
Same bs we heard with Tubby. UK will be fine

Reactions: STL_Cat
There is not a single person that said that with Tubby.
They didn't? Where were you? On the moon? The point with Tubby wasn't about the recruiting class, but we definitely heard all about how UK was going to be crippled for years to come with Tubby leaving. Pitino was quoted as saying this was going to set us back 10 years. Dick Vitale eviscerated our fanbase on national tv about how much we were going to regret this with our ridiculous expectations and how Minnesota was getting the better end of the deal, and this was going to set UK basketball back so far.

Where WERE you at this time?

ADVERTISEMENT