ADVERTISEMENT

Drew could have a stacked roster for next season ....

I guess if you value youth and potential over an actual championship then I could see the Iowa St coach.

Again- more of a guy who can grow and mold and will probably be one of the best coaches in college basketball for a while (same as Tommy Lloyd) vs. a guy like Drew who just kinda "is who he is" at this point- and that guy has 3 elite eights in 20 years.

How much influence do you think players have now on coaching changes? If a coach can't take a few key players with him, does he choose to stay instead?

He could bring VJ Edgecombe w/ him, a top 5 recruit, i.e., rated higher than any of UK's recruits in Cal's class for 2024. There are 2 other 5-stars in Baylor's class. It's a helluva haul and SHOULD be the type that makes UK fans happy. 3 recruits, all 3 5-star rankings. Isn't that why many loved Calipari?

Drew/Baylor invested time and offered Quaintance, so he and the family should be familiar and (hopefully) comfortable with him as coach at UK.

Two highly coveted Baylor freshmen, JaKobe Walter and Yves Missi could transfer to UK.

The portal is loaded with talent.

Drew is the type of pure basketball coach that could convince Reed Sheppard to stay.

Not saying ANY of this will happen, but the opportunity exists for UK to have a hell of a roster right away in the Scott Drew era.
Plus, Scott Drew may talk some of our players on our roster now to stay at Kentucky like big Z

VJ might go to his second choice Duke.
Everyone's second choice.

State Of The Union Goodness GIF by PBS NewsHour

Yup let’s just bring in trash rosters year after year, with a completely different coach. Because Cal choked with stacked rosters. Good point.
Cal didn't "choke". He refused to do his job, coddled his guys so they wouldn't miss out on the draft. Even hid one guy the entire season. Was job-hopping in February when he should have been focusing on his team. Cal "failed".

Baylor only has one 5-star recruit. https://247sports.com/college/baylor/season/2024-basketball/commits/

And we may be able to keep JQ, but I doubt it with this hire.

So we might have one five star on next years team and some transfers from a team that has lost in the 2nd round 3 seasons in a row.

Yeah, might be totally stacked guys.

Sorry @Runnin'Ramel - you're awesome and this post isn't a shot at you, you're being optimistic which I love, I just don't see it guys. Think we will be a round of 32 team at best next year.
LOL, how can you say "round of 32" without knowing #1 who the coach is and #2 who they can bring or attract through the portal? You're guessing and have no idea just like the rest of us.

LOL, how can you say "round of 32" without knowing #1 who the coach is and #2 who they can bring or attract through the portal? You're guessing and have no idea just like the rest of us.

That's why I said I think that. Didn't state it as a fact.

Some of you all have big issues with people having their own opinions.

Come on FlaCat. You know I'm not a rash guy- but just saying, don't think this hire interests any of our current guys to stay, or any recruits to stay on, and so we'll be starting fresh with maybe VJ Edgecomb (if he doesn't bail for Duke), a couple of Baylor transfers, and some JUCO kids.

Idk man, I just don't see it.

That's why I said I think that. Didn't state it as a fact.

Some of you all have big issues with people having their own opinions.

Come on FlaCat. You know I'm not a rash guy- but just saying, don't think this hire interests any of our current guys to stay, or any recruits to stay on, and so we'll be starting fresh with maybe VJ Edgecomb (if he doesn't bail for Duke), a couple of Baylor transfers, and some JUCO kids.

Idk man, I just don't see it.
and thats fine I guess but I choose to be a little more optimistic IF Drew is the hire that he will bring along several 4/5 stars and attract good portal additions with the chance to be part of the rebuild at Kentucky.

Reactions: Girthang
I can't get over some of these posts. Before we knew Cal was going to leave there was so much about the willingness to take a step back to move forward by firing him even with the consequences. Why would now some here want to worry about 5 star recruits again filling a roster? That has been Cal's thing forever and look how it worked out the past 9 years! Sure bring a few of the top if possible that would be exciting. But, we need a coach who can coach, certainly recruit a few talented players but also players that will stay and develop with transfers.

Also if Hurley was to come exactly what roster is he bringing? I think he would attract transfers of course but perhaps so will Drew, Pearl, or whomever.

Reactions: Girthang
Cal didn't "choke". He refused to do his job, coddled his guys so they wouldn't miss out on the draft. Even hid one guy the entire season. Was job-hopping in February when he should have been focusing on his team. Cal "failed".
Semantics tbh

He could bring VJ Edgecombe w/ him, a top 5 recruit, i.e., rated higher than any of UK's recruits in Cal's class for 2024. There are 2 other 5-stars in Baylor's class. It's a helluva haul and SHOULD be the type that makes UK fans happy. 3 recruits, all 3 5-star rankings. Isn't that why many loved Calipari?

Drew/Baylor invested time and offered Quaintance, so he and the family should be familiar and (hopefully) comfortable with him as coach at UK.

Two highly coveted Baylor freshmen, JaKobe Walter and Yves Missi could transfer to UK.

Drew is the type of pure basketball coach that could convince Reed Sheppard to stay.

Not saying ANY of this will happen, but the opportunity exists for UK to have a hell of a roster right away in the Scott Drew era.
Not expecting much the first season but I'm cautiously optimistic.

And choked

Baylor only has one 5-star recruit. https://247sports.com/college/baylor/season/2024-basketball/commits/

And we may be able to keep JQ, but I doubt it with this hire.

So we might have one five star on next years team and some transfers from a team that has lost in the 2nd round 3 seasons in a row.

Yeah, might be totally stacked guys.

Sorry @Runnin'Ramel - you're awesome and this post isn't a shot at you, you're being optimistic which I love, I just don't see it guys. Think we will be a round of 32 team at best next year.
Well, 5 star freshman don’t go far either. At least we might be able to build something here.

Both Baylor players are first round picks. So it’s depends on whether they think they can improve their stock. Reed is still being touted as a top 5 pick and people just need to be realistic about him bolting.

Is it possible all three are here if Drew comes? Sure. But it’s more probable that none of them will be.

VJ would come though.

Both Baylor players are first round picks. So it’s depends on whether they think they can improve their stock. Reed is still being touted as a top 5 pick and people just need to be realistic about him bolting.

Is it possible all three are here if Drew comes? Sure. But it’s more probable that none of them will be.

VJ would come though.
Just so damn happy we're gonna get some real coaching come next year. No more favorites, no more tired one liners in the pressers. So refreshing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT