ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN saying Cal should be the 1st call for Texas

I don’t think that is necessarilyIs true that we will lose all the recruits.Love it would also depend on whether Orlando or chin also left and what new coach is coming in
Well, respectfully, you are wrong. None of those players come to UK next year (except maybe Reed) if Cal leaves UK.

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
How many championships has Cal won here with 5 freshman starting? How many championships have been won anywhere with 5 freshman starting?

We’re always waiting on the next class. It’s the same song and dance every year. Just wait until this next class gets here.
Except the next class is arguably the best class he has ever had and one of the top 5 classes ever in college basketball.

I think the biggest issue with Cal going to Texas would be Texas joining the SEC soon and Cal having to come back into Rupp.

If I’m Cal, and I think I’m going to coach 5-10 more years, I go to Texas. If I’m ready to wrap it up, I put all my energy into this next year and a half at UK.

If Cal entertains it I think it shows his heart isn’t really in it anymore at Kentucky, and I think it would be best for both parties to go their separate ways.

His heart wasn’t in it when UCLA came calling, but dumbass Mitch couldn’t see that. Should have let him go then.

People will say hindsight is 20/20, but I’ve said it a million times on here before: if it had been any other school but UCLA I probably wouldn’t have blamed Mitch. But for Cal to use the one school he’s supposed to be trying to catch as leverage… that just burnt me up and I wanted him to leave at that point.

I know Texas has plenty of money and no state income taxes but they were paying 5 mill a year to Beard. We really think they’d want to pay 60+% more for an old, recently underachieving coach? I’d believe it when I see it.

I think the biggest issue with Cal going to Texas would be Texas joining the SEC soon and Cal having to come back into Rupp.

If I’m Cal, and I think I’m going to coach 5-10 more years, I go to Texas. If I’m ready to wrap it up, I put all my energy into this next year and a half at UK.
Through this whole thing I hadn't even thought about the fact that Texas is headed into the SEC. Wow, what a scene Cal coming to coach Texas in Rupp would be.

I don't see Cal taking the Texas job. The are big football state. IF Cal was to leave UK will be fine. UK will have no problems getting another good coach and with the transfer portal the way it is now the new coach would be able to get some very good players .

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Except the next class is arguably the best class he has ever had and one of the top 5 classes ever in college basketball.
When we get a better class than the one with Anthony Davis and MKG I will hold off saying the next class is the greatest ever.

I can’t see him talking to Texas just for leverage. He has a fantastic (for him) agreement with Kentucky.
If he does talk to them, it would be for serious interest I believe.
Think he would be shocked at how little the fan base would care if he left. He'd be seriously interested I think. He's another coach where UK won him a NC. Who'd want to be #6.

Well Barney gave Cal a lifetime contract so does that mean he gets a 'beyond lifetime' contract? LOL! Maybe his grandchildren will get UK's money.

You know Barney always has a 'list' as he should have. He may want to update it. I could see Cal jumping as he may have grown weary with all of the 'taxing' he has endured for so long.

Cal has won his championship. Could you imagine him being here had he not won that title?
He's not winning another one here. His agenda has completely changed.

He's not long for this job IMO providing what little he has accomplished lately.

All he has to do is call his buddy Rick Barnes who'll tell him about the Texas job.

They can call all they want, but I would be SHOCKED if either Drew or Calipari entertained anything from Texas in the middle of their seasons.

As I said in another thread, the best play is to simply put feelers out with the coaches on their wish list, stick with their interim coaches, and then make their moves as the season starts to wind down. Unless they plan on throwing $20m per year at one of these guys, they'll probably get nothing more from their agents than "I'm not talking about this in the middle of my season".

Reactions: wildcatwelder
You want Cal gone, that's how you feel and that's totally cool. I just think UK fans better be careful what they wish for. We would lose the entire 2023 class and you would be betting someone great would certainly replace Cal. I don't think that's something you can count on. Remember BCG? Who is coming here that is a top notch coach that wants to replace Cal and deal with the UK fans?
UK has the best fans in college basketball. Interesting how the Cal fans always make it a point to take a shot at our fan base. Saying we couldn’t get a good coach because of our fans is hilarious. Those “bad” fans that’s travel better than any other fanbase… yeah no elite coach would want that lmao

If he addresses the issue by saying anything other than I am the UK coach and I intend to retire here then he proves he is not invested in the UK program. He has the best contract in all of college basketball. If he even hints that is not enough then he should go.

Why are people so terrified of loosing next years class?? Honestly, what makes you think Cal would have anymore success than all the other great classes he's underachieving with? You don't even know what players (if even a single one) would follow him. And I think folks are totally underestimating the new life and energy a new coach would breath back into the program. The is zero evidence supporting Kentucky taking a single step back with a coaching change. None.

The notion that Cal is someone whom Texas would go after seems preposterous. We know Cal’s washed. The national sports media knows Cal is washed. And I’m sure the folks at Texas searching for their next coach know he’s washed.

Cal’s next destination is going to be a place where they’re happy to have a guy that did some things in the past, is well known, and can produce winning seasons. Texas, nor anyone other major program that is looking to compete for national titles wants Cal.

Last edited:
LOL this message board will be in meltdown mode if this UK team turns it around at the end of the season. Not saying they're going to win tomorrow but it will be hilarious to see the flip flop from some posters on here. It would be like they're rooting for UK to lose.

LOL this message board will be in meltdown mode if this UK team turns it around at the end of the season. Not saying they're going to win tomorrow but it will be hilarious to see the flip flop from some posters on here. It would be like they're rooting for UK to lose.
Hey pal, me and my little 8 year old guy will be locked into that game tomorrow rooting our tails off for UK to win. He has bailed on most games recently because he says "we're just going to lose like we always do." Nothing I would like more than for us to enjoy some high fives over UK basektball.

Reactions: KFuqua and Wonky
Why are people so terrified of loosing next years class?? Honestly, what makes you think Cal would have anymore success than all the other great classes he's underachieving with? You don't even know what players (if even a single one) would follow him. And I think folks are totally underestimating the new life and energy a new coach would breathe back into the program. The is zero evidence supporting Kentucky taking a single step back with a coaching change. None.
A few of the Cal fan boys are just using this thread to bash our fans like usual. The guy that melts down in game threads is trying to convince people that no one would want this coaching job because of fans is hilarious.

Hey pal, me and my little 8 year old guy will be locked into that game tomorrow rooting our tails off for UK to win. He has bailed on most games recently because he says "we're just going to lose like we always do." Nothing I would like more than for us to enjoy some high fives over UK basektball.
My son has lost all interest and asks why I’m wasting my time watching the Cats suck again.

Rooting for UK to lose and discussion/analysis of what we are seeing from Cal and the team/program are two very different things. I doubt that there are more than 2% of the posters here that want UK to lose. The stuff Cal does and says should concern any UK fan.

Because should it happen I believe he takes the class, all his recruiters and the Nike focus with him. Texas perhaps becomes the "it" program that we once were and aspire to be again.

Some of you are still stuck in 2015.

We haven’t been the it program in a while. If he can’t do it at Kentucky, he ain’t doing that at Texas.

Good lord y’all. Lol.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Remember Cal? Remember Pitino? Remember Joe Hall?

Kentucky is the only entity in employment history where everyone who wants to have the best job in a sector of jobs would say no to the best pay and best opportunity.

This is also a competitive field where the most competitive people enter the arena.

You can’t replicate some rafters posters. Truly special.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT