ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN saying Cal should be the 1st call for Texas

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida

Who should be on the receiving end of Del Conte's first phone calls?​

When Smart left, Beard was the obvious replacement. This time around, it's not as clear.

The biggest names in the sport are likely to have some level of interest in this job. It's worth testing the waters for Kentucky's John Calipari and Baylor's Scott Drew. Calipari isn't under threat of being fired -- he's owed nearly $50 million -- but the pressure on him has undoubtedly increased after going 9-16 in 2021, losing to 15-seed Saint Peter's Peacocks last season and starting 10-4 this season. It's unclear if Drew would listen if Texas called, but he has been the architect of one of the greatest rebuilding jobs in college sports history and won the national championship in 2021.

I can’t see him talking to Texas just for leverage. He has a fantastic (for him) agreement with Kentucky.
If he does talk to them, it would be for serious interest I believe.

If Cal entertains it, I think it isn't a reflection of his heart not being in it anymore, but rather that he sees he has worn out his welcome, and that it would be better for both (UK & him) to leave this way as opposed to being let go. And it is about a soft landing spot as he could hope for.

So yeah, I think he should be on their short list, but agree Drew should probably be #1.

People better be careful what they wish for. Cal leaves and takes his #1 class (probably adds Jackson to it) plus what UT returns and wins a national title next year. Would be crippling to UK.
How could we EVER recover? Haven't we had the #1 and #2 recruiting class every year for the past 7? How crippling would it actually be?

You're one of the most bipolar posters I've seen here. Game threads you're the bashiest basher ever.

People better be careful what they wish for. Cal leaves and takes his #1 class (probably adds Jackson to it) plus what UT returns and wins a national title next year. Would be crippling to UK.

Cal has been treated very well by UK and its fans. If he wants to run because he’s getting heat for one of the worst 3 year stretches in program history than that has more to do with him than fans “getting what they wish for”. I’m confident to say 90% of fans would be thrilled with Cal getting back to winning and going to final fours, those were the mutually agreed to expectations when he was hired.

How could we EVER recover? Haven't we had the #1 and #2 recruiting class every year for the past 7? How crippling would it actually be?

You're one of the most bipolar posters I've seen here. Game threads you're the bashiest basher ever.
You want Cal gone, that's how you feel and that's totally cool. I just think UK fans better be careful what they wish for. We would lose the entire 2023 class and you would be betting someone great would certainly replace Cal. I don't think that's something you can count on. Remember BCG? Who is coming here that is a top notch coach that wants to replace Cal and deal with the UK fans?

So true. I often wonder if I am getting his name mixed up with somebody else’s. I say to myself, “wasn’t he just saying the exact opposite yesterday?”

You want Cal gone, that's how you feel and that's totally cool. I just think UK fans better be careful what they wish for. We would lose the entire 2023 class and you would be betting someone great would certainly replace Cal. I don't think that's something you can count on. Remember BCG? Who is coming here that is a top notch coach that wants to replace Cal and deal with the UK fans?

I feel that what UK fans “wish for” is for Cal to get back to his winning ways, and if he’s not willing or able it’s time to move on. Him wanting to leave to go coach Texas half way through the season would actually support the notion that he’s done with Kentucky and it’s time to move on. You keep framing it like UK fans want Cal gone no matter what, which by and large is not true, and which paints Kentucky fans in the most negative way possible.

Because should it happen I believe he takes the class, all his recruiters and the Nike focus with him. Texas perhaps becomes the "it" program that we once were and aspire to be again.

I feel that what UK fans “wish for” is for Cal to get back to his winning ways, and if he’s not willing or able it’s time to move on. Him wanting to leave to go coach Texas half way through the season would actually support the notion that he’s done with Kentucky and it’s time to move on. You keep framing it like UK fans want Cal gone no matter what, which by and large is not true, and which paints Kentucky fans in the most negative way possible.
Because that’s what people outside the Kentucky fan base love to do. Blame The fans.

Because should it happen I believe he takes the class, all his recruiters and the Nike focus with him. Texas perhaps becomes the "it" program that we once were and aspire to be again.

If he can do it at Texas next year, why not do it at Kentucky last year? If he’s able to make Texas the “it” program, why is he unable to do it currently? There is nothing stopping him from doing it at Kentucky.

If he can do it at Texas next year, why not do it at Kentucky last year? If he’s able to make Texas the “it” program, why is he unable to do it currently? There is nothing stopping him from doing it at Kentucky.
I agree. Just spitballin what "ifs"

I've literally never said those words here. I wish we still had the Cal we hired back in 2009.

Would anyone really even be that mad about it? If he left for Texas it would just confirm what we're all thinking anyway. He really doesn't want to be here anymore.
Leaves for Texas=doesn’t want to be at UK anymore. Wouldn’t that be kind of obvious for any one taking another job? Not sure your point here.

I don’t think that is necessarilyIs true that we will lose all the recruits.Love it would also depend on whether Orlando or chin also left and what new coach is coming in

The issue is he leaves and Barney hires holtman and we run out a team that isn't good next year while calipari and Texas are dunking all over sportscenter and make a run.

People need to prepare themselves for mitch to make a bad hire. All I'm saying.
Dunking all over Sportcenter and making a run? Then why hasn't he done that here, in a very, VERY long time? You'll have to explain that one to me. The only reason it would make me mad is because it would prove that he was just totally stagnant here and wasn't doing the work he needed to do. If going somewhere else reinvigorates him to be the Cal we hired back in 2009, then so be it. But we haven't been "dunking all over Sportcenter" and making a run" in a long time, and we've had Cal.
This is exactly what I am saying above. Thank you Mr. Mehico.

1. He ain't taking Shep
2. Do we really care....I mean what is he going to do with next year's class? Next year will have nothing like Oscar inside and look how Cal is crapping the season with NPOY back? He has shown to have bigger flaws on sideline as the years go on (i.e.. maybe Robic did more scheming than we thought)
3. If UK walks away like we did Tubby with no buyout and able to back the truck up with cash to any coach we desire.....I'd take that in heartbeat. I really don't want Mitch pulling the trigger but we can throw out $10M per to Mussleman, Oats, NBA guys if we want to go that direction, we could go in many good directions and give them 5 years deal and if it doens't go well,....we don't have some luny lifetime contract out there.
4. In today's world, rosters can be built way faster. The days of 4 year rebuilds...does not have to be that way. LSU had zero players on roster after Wade was fired......they looked like a pretty decent squad last week and you can see what even a solid coach can do in short window. Portals are able to attract players along with UK's top notch NIL....we likely would be just fine.

Leaves for Texas=doesn’t want to be at UK anymore. Wouldn’t that be kind of obvious for any one taking another job? Not sure your point here.
Yes. Yes it would.

My point is if he leaves no one here should be crying about it. If he wants to leave it's for the better anyway at this point.

Reactions: delk4three
Worst case, Cal’s camp reaches out to test interest in his name and to check the pulse of the UK program. Barney responds with a contract boost.

Best case, interest isn’t what he wants from the UK program and the two part ways.

Who cares?! Cal is washed up. He’ll never win another title here. I don’t give two shits which recruits he brings in.
So you would be ok with Cal going to Texas and taking all of next years recruits with him and we end up with someone like Chris Holtman with a bare cupboard of recruits? You would be happier with that?

Stop living in fear! UK will be just fine when Cal leaves!

How many championships has Cal won here with 5 freshman starting? How many championships have been won anywhere with 5 freshman starting?

We’re always waiting on the next class. It’s the same song and dance every year. Just wait until this next class gets here.

So you would be ok with Cal going to Texas and taking all of next years recruits with him and we end up with someone like Chris Holtman with a bare cupboard of recruits? You would be happier with that?
I think what most of us are saying here is:

Yes. We would be okay with that, if that is what Cal wants to do. No one should be begging the guy to stay at this point. We are bigger than one recruiting class. Besides, how many of these "just wait until next year's class gets here!" have we had over the past several years? It's just rinse and repeat at this point. I'm certainly past believing that one recruiting class will turn this ship around.

Remember Cal? Remember Pitino? Remember Joe Hall?

ADVERTISEMENT