ADVERTISEMENT

Do we still care about DOMINANCE

Of course it’s intended to start fights. It’s only intention is baiting. We’re on the path we’re on. Nothing is going to change that. We are coming off 2 losses under very difficult circumstances due to the virus. Bottom line is this pr is the number one program of all time. Anyone but a hapless fool knows every moment is not your brightest momen.

You are taking advantage of the circumstances and baiting a select group of accounts on this board to pile on. Just own it.

No it's not at all intended to start fights. I think Cal is becoming bad for UK. I think he is hurting the program by relentlessly force feeding the OAD, turnover, bad coaching, destroyed good home and homes, destroyed traditional rivalries, and more. I could keep going.

I'm a UK fan first.

I was on the Cal train for 11 years.

The thread was intended to see if UK fans still valued all of our accomplishments, and wanted to continue to pursue our level of status, or are we just content with losing all year and getting ready for a probable loss in March because "that's what matters". Cal did that too.,

I'm a bit surprised by you Bass. You've been a fan a long time. Can't believe you're okay with the direction of this program.

Oh, it was obvious that Billy and UK weren't a good fit huh.....

You think so mr. thunker?

Do not lie, you were totally in support of Billy G almost all the way through until the very end when you finally had to give it up. You're a casual fan who just wants to watch and have a worther's original with grandpa.
Why lie? I think most knowledgeable fans knew early on that Billy G. didn't have it. I am going to assume you are in agreement . I do not know what a mr. thunker might be. I am sure it is a moniker of affection.

D
Of course it’s intended to start fights. It’s only intention is baiting. We’re on the path we’re on. Nothing is going to change that. We are coming off 2 losses under very difficult circumstances due to the virus. Bottom line is this pr is the number one program of all time. Anyone but a hapless fool knows every moment is not your brightest momen.

You are taking advantage of the circumstances and baiting a select group of accounts on this board to pile on. Just own it.
Due to the virus? Really......thats the best you got? Are you a super spreader?

Beard has been more impressive than Cal. Sorry hat bothers you.
Dude, I just looked up the numbers; since Beard has been at TT, he’s won 94 games, been to 1 final four & 1 elite 8 and missed the tournament (what would have been) in 4 years.

Cal has won 113 games, been to 2 elite 8’s and a sweet 16, and while we can argue how last year would have ended, they certainly wouldn’t have missed the tournament.

Beard has not been more impressive than Cal.

Reactions: MegaBlue05 and sk73
I don’t know if it’s about dominance. Aside from Rupp, a few years with Pitino, and a few years with Cal we’ve never been dominant year in and year out. I’d say it’s more about being hungry. And Cal just hasn’t seemed as hungry since the Fox, Monk and Bam class. Maybe even since the Wisconsin game. Cal needs to get hungry again.

Dude, I just looked up the numbers; since Beard has been at TT, he’s won 94 games, been to 1 final four & 1 elite 8 and missed the tournament (what would have been) in 4 years.

Cal has won 113 games, been to 2 elite 8’s and a sweet 16, and while we can argue how last year would have ended, they certainly wouldn’t have missed the tournament.

Beard has not been more impressive than Cal.

1. The final four and elite 8, coupled with the rest, makes it better. period.

2. He's at TEXAS TECH. It's not hard to figure out why it's better. He went further and did it with less resources and at a doormat.

Goodness, you have to take into account he built that program to that point. And his system is better, and designed to be a better fit when the OAD is gone.

But regardless, Beard has been more impressive in that span than Cal when all things are considered. Let's not talk about a missed tournament in Lubbock please. Cal took Kentucky to the NIT.

No it's not at all intended to start fights. I think Cal is becoming bad for UK. I think he is hurting the program by relentlessly force feeding the OAD, turnover, bad coaching, destroyed good home and homes, destroyed traditional rivalries, and more. I could keep going.

I'm a UK fan first.

I was on the Cal train for 11 years.

The thread was intended to see if UK fans still valued all of our accomplishments, and wanted to continue to pursue our level of status, or are we just content with losing all year and getting ready for a probable loss in March because "that's what matters". Cal did that too.,

I'm a bit surprised by you Bass. You've been a fan a long time. Can't believe you're okay with the direction of this program.

I support the program the university puts on the floor. I am not a quitter or fair weather fan. You apparently are. I have seen hard times. These are not hard times.

I’m surprised at you thinking we’d bring in a bunch of kids into the uncertainty presented by this virus and be all sugar and roses. I thought you were an athlete once. This was all very predictable under the circumstances.

I support the program the university puts on the floor. I am not a quitter or fair weather fan. You apparently are. I have seen hard times. These are not hard times.

I’m surprised at you thinking we’d bring in a bunch of kids into the uncertainty presented by this virus and be all sugar and roses. I thought you were an athlete once. This was all very predictable under the circumstances.

Bass I have absolutely no idea what the hell you're talking about. You're blaming the virus on Cal's shortcomings?

This isn't the economy.

In my view, supporting this product by Calipari IS quitting. Just listen to some of these types. They throw in the towel and think Cal is the only person who can win here, they sell the program short, and they go blind to Cal changing everything for the worst because it's the best we can do.

That's a quitter. That's a losers mentality.

No. Can you even remotely spell or stay on topic?

You don’t think we’d have benefited from some exhibition games with these kids? No? Ok, so you have no knowledge.

Did Kansas and Richmond play a hella tough exhibition schedule?

And before you say "we're young". You know we're only young by choice, so it's no excuse.

Take a look at my signature for verification.

How do you define domination? Because I would say that although Kentucky has the greatest program ever, we’ve only dominated 2 or 3 five year stretches in the last 40 years.

Actually, if you go decade to decade, Kentucky has the best record of sustained success as any program in history.

That's total domination relatively speaking.

Why lie? I think most knowledgeable fans knew early on that Billy G. didn't have it. I am going to assume you are in agreement . I do not know what a mr. thunker might be. I am sure it is a moniker of affection.

You do Realize that the VAST majority of THIS board would crush you for speaking out on Billy G until the very end right?

I spoke out about Billy G after the Ole Miss / UK game that my father and I attended. There were some pretty bizarre situations that went down at the team hotel.

I was thrashed, much like some are doing now with Cal.

You just don't know what you're talking about there.

And I won't lie either, I find it hard to believe you were against Billy Gillispie until it was about over anyway.

People have to remember one of the most important things when evaluating coaches for an opening and your current one. What is the trajectory of the coach and the program? It doesn't take a genius to see that Beard and TTU's path and trajectory is on a steep incline.

It's obvious he's a diamond. It's like some people have no experience in seeing these things play out in the past.

Beard is a stud, you don't do what he's done at TT and not be. It's not possible.

But this is the same board that thought Donovan was average and caught lightening in a bottle so, I guess it's consistent.

• Haha
Reactions: Will Bithers
You do Realize that the VAST majority of THIS board would crush you for speaking out on Billy G until the very end right?

I spoke out about Billy G after the Ole Miss / UK game that my father and I attended. There were some pretty bizarre situations that went down at the team hotel.

I was thrashed, much like some are doing now with Cal.

You just don't know what you're talking about there.

And I won't lie either, I find it hard to believe you were against Billy Gillispie until it was about over anyway.
That's your problem. I was not a Billy G. fan at all. I have been an avid UK fan for more years than you have been alive. I have been viewing this message board for years without taking part until the (know it all guys) like yourself started ruining the experience. I started at that point.I'm done for the day thhough. I am sure you will conjure up more goofy reasons as to why Cal can't coach. I probably just need to push the ignore.button. You bring nothing entertaing, only hateful shit. Good night Zipp.Even

It's obvious he's a diamond. It's like some people have no experience in seeing these things play out in the past.

Beard is a stud, you don't do what he's done at TT and not be. It's not possible.

But this is the same board that thought Donovan was average and caught lightening in a bottle so, I guess it's consistent.
Don’t know if there has been a more obvious guy who you can tel is going to be one of the greats once he goes to a blue blood type school.

That's your problem. I was not a Billy G. fan at all. I have been an avid UK fan for more years than you have been alive. I have been viewing this message board for years without taking part until the (know it all guys) like yourself started ruining the experience. I started at that point.I'm done for the day thhough. I am sure you will conjure up more goofy reasons as to why Cal can't coach. I probably just need to push the ignore.button. You bring nothing entertaing, only hateful shit. Good night Zipp.Even

You are a little difficult to understand. But don't worry about going on and on. I didn't really keep reading anyway.

Don’t know if there has been a more obvious guy who you can tel is going to be one of the greats once he goes to a blue blood type school.

I mean man he's kind of doing everything to show he's a legit candidate for future guard status. But I guess for beard to be impressive around here he needs a few titles at TT.

Beard's age might make him one of the most sought after coaches in the game coming up. The only reason he's not at a Blue Blood yet is because there's no openings. If Kansas opens he's the first call. No doubt about it.

Actually, if you go decade to decade, Kentucky has the best record of sustained success as any program in history.

That's total domination relatively speaking.

On the flipside of that, dating back to the end of Rupp, we hit lulls at some point in every decade with the exception of the 90s.

Zero FF from 66-75. Win 76, 78 title
One FF, two E8s in the 80s despite some gaudy regular season records.
The only truly down year of the 90s was 1990. Pitino got a title, ff, runner up and 2 elite 8s. Tubby won a title and 1999 wasn’t bad.
Nothing in the 2000s despite some gaudy regular season records from 2003-05.
2010s: 1 title, 1 runner-up, 2 FFs in first five years with a drop off in the back half with a few solid regular season records.

We are consistently good, but never consistently dominant in terms of postseason success with the exception of 1948-51, 1993-98, 2010-2015.

To answer your question, sure I’d love to dominate. But I also understand not every UK team will be the 96 Cats. No school or coach will dominate like that for years at a time.

I’m not saying Cal is infallible. I don’t like being 1-2. I also am not ready to change coaches.

I mean man he's kind of doing everything to show he's a legit candidate for future guard status. But I guess for beard to be impressive around here he needs a few titles at TT.

Beard's age might make him one of the most sought after coaches in the game coming up. The only reason he's not at a Blue Blood yet is because there's no openings. If Kansas opens he's the first call. No doubt about it.
He seems like a KU guy. Don't want him there because he would make them a juggernaut. If you are UK and you have a shot to get Beard, you do it no questions asked.

On the flipside of that, dating back to the end of Rupp, we hit lulls at some point in every decade with the exception of the 90s.

Zero FF from 66-75. Win 76, 78 title
One FF, two E8s in the 80s despite some gaudy regular season records.
The only truly down year of the 90s was 1990. Pitino got a title, ff, runner up and 2 elite 8s. Tubby won a title and 1999 wasn’t bad.
Nothing in the 2000s despite some gaudy regular season records from 2003-05.
2010s: 1 title, 1 runner-up, 2 FFs in first five years with a drop off in the back half with a few solid regular season records.

We are consistently good, but never consistently dominant in terms of postseason success with the exception of 1948-51, 1993-98, 2010-2015.

To answer your question, sure I’d love to dominate. But I also understand not every UK team will be the 96 Cats. No school or coach will dominate like that for years at a time.

I’m not saying Cal is infallible. I don’t like being 1-2. I also am not ready to change coaches.

But those stats are the best. No one has sustained and won at that level. I see people say what you're saying a lot, but it simply doesn't make sense. From start to finish, those numbers are the best RELATIVE to everyone else. It doesn't matter that it seems like minor Pickens to you or someone personally. Relative to everyone else is the only thing that matters. No one has been better.

We have been the most consistent program decade to decade.

Cal is underachieving right now.

• Haha
Reactions: Will Bithers
He seems like a KU guy. Don't want him there because he would make them a juggernaut. If you are UK and you have a shot to get Beard, you do it no questions asked.

I feel the exact same way. But he's a KU guy I agree. He's waiting on it.

Reactions: michael895
Of course it’s intended to start fights. It’s only intention is baiting. We’re on the path we’re on. Nothing is going to change that. We are coming off 2 losses under very difficult circumstances due to the virus. Bottom line is this KY is the number one program of all time. Anyone but a hapless fool knows every moment is not your brightest moment.

no its intended to obviously have a legit discussion .. You're the one that wants to start fights anytime someone isnt happy with UK or Cal.

you stuck to loving BCG up to the minute he was fired... you're a joke. and not the funny kind.... the needs to be shipped off to an abandoned island kind.

That mid level coach has out performed Cal of late, and at TT.

But don't mind that, just enjoy the one time of year Cal allows you to cheer for. The March loss.

Beard has won 68% since '16-'17. 2 tourney appearances and a RU/EE. Great finish to season a couple years back. Borderline tourney team last year.

Cal has won 79% in same time span. 3 appearances, 2 EE and 1 SS. Probably a 2 seed in tourney last year.

We all want to get to a FF. I am UK first and Cal is right guy for the job. This notion he is trending down is silly. He may be wearing down some of our fan base with constant turnover but results wise he is not trending down.

I've said this 1000 times....

1. Go look at games we should have won in the tournaments in Cal era. Be objective...we lost as many in the first half of Cal era as second half. WVU/UConn/Wisconsin/KSU/Auburn. I don't think we were better than IU or UNC...IU was better, UNC and us equal. One could reasonably argue our biggest choke jobs were WVU, Wisconsin and UConn...all in first half/mid Cal era. Wisconsin and UConn the biggest losses of the bunch.

2. I will grant you we are in a semi FF draught. 17 FF in 78 years, one every 4.5 years...it is a semi draught and reasonable folks realize that once your are in an EE it is a bit of a crap shoot....this is why we have 38 EE appearances and only 17 FF...losing record in EE all time. Cal is above that trend. We won some tight EE games his first half and lost some the second half.

If you don't like Cals approach, I get it. If the early seasons losses frustrate you, I get it. To say Cal is trending down and he doesn't care or can't do it anymore or has no chance of getting us back to a FF or NC, I don't get....also don't get how Beard is outperforming Cal. Beard could be the next big thing or the next BCG and if you want to become Indiana you make that hire. Beard needs to prove himself several more years before he gets a call from UK. There isn't another Cal out there or Pitino out there to save us from a stupid mistake.

I am concerned more about the next coach than the current one. You can call me what you want by I've followed our program trends and history since I was a kid and we are still in one of the 3 best extended runs in program history.

Last edited:
Beard has won 68% since '16-'17. 2 tourney appearances and a RU/EE. Great finish to season a couple years back. Borderline tourney team last year.

Cal has won 79% in same time span. 3 appearances, 2 EE and 1 SS. Probably a 2 seed in tourney last year.

We all want to get to a FF. I am UK first and Cal is right guy for the job. This notion he is trending down is silly. He may be wearing down some of our fan base with constant turnover but results wise he is not trending down.

I've said this 1000 times....

1. Go look at games we should have won in the tournaments in Cal era. Be objective...we lost as many in the first half of Cal era as second half. WVU/UConn/Wisconsin/KSU/Auburn. I don't think we were better than IU or UNC...IU was better, UNC and us equal. One could reasonably argue our biggest choke jobs were WVU, Wisconsin and UConn...all in first half/mid Cal era. Wisconsin and UConn the biggest losses of the bunch.

2. I will grant you we are in a semi FF draught. 17 FF in 78 years, one every 4.5 years...it is a semi draught and reasonable folks realize that once your are in an EE it is a bit of a crap shoot....this is why we have 38 EE appearances and only 17 FF...losing record in EE all time. Cal is above that trend. We won some tight EE games his first half and lost some the second half.

If you don't like Cals approach, I get it. If the early seasons losses frustrate you, I get it. To say Cal is trending down and he doesn't care or can't do it anymore or has no chance of getting us back to a FF or NC, I don't get....also don't get how Beard is outperforming Cal. Beard could be the next big thing or the next BCG and if you want to become Indiana you make that hire. Beard needs to prove himself several more years before he gets a call from UK. There isn't another Cal out there or Pitino out there to save us from a stupid mistake.

I am concerned more about the next coach than the current one. You can call me what you want by I've followed our program trends and history since I was a kid and we are still in one of the 3 best extended runs in program history.
Obviously, no one in their right mind would fire Cal at least not yet. But if there was an opening for UK, Beard would definitely be on the top of the list in terms of candidates. Hiring a new coach is always risky and you arent likely going to find an established coach who has been to 5 final fours on the market.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Beard is not coming to Kentucky regardless. He and his wife have ties to Lubbock and as long as he can get them in the tournament on a consistent basis he'll have it made. What he's making goes a long way in Lubbock due to the low cost of living.

Laughable take.

Beard would crawl across broken glass on 200 degree Texas asphalt to get to Lexington.

That said, I prefer Cal at this time.

5b73d994ec58c_Threaddeliver-Imgur.gif.fe22816fcca249be31cf510dbc801994.gif

Laughable take.

Beard would crawl across broken glass on 200 degree Texas asphalt to get to Lexington.

That said, I prefer Cal at this time.
“There as many challenges as can possibly be (and) I can imagine. (John Calipari) is one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball and it’s obviously one of the most historic programs with a great fan base,” Beard said on the Big 12 coaches teleconference on Wednesday. “(It’s) another year, (and they have) incredible talent.”

Beard said the Wildcats won’t be an easy task for his team to overcome and said his respect for Kentucky is “off the charts.”

“We’ll have to play the best game of the season to have a chance to be competitive in the game in my opinion,” Beard said. “(It’s) a team that we have a lot of respect for (and) a team that’s definitely good enough to win a national championship.”

it’s safe to say you’re right. I don’t want cal going anywhere he’s still the best coach for the job. I just want him to adapt.

I’m in utter amazement at the the excuses and straw man arguments trying to say the ship is on a straight course and running fine .
There are so many inconsistencies and cherry picking stats going on it’s either funny or sad .
I hate my laptop is broke , trying to answer all the dumb stuff is difficult on a small tablet .
We have virus as the excuse , we have the economy , we have the low cost of living in Lubbock , we have the glory years 5 years ago .

All the while the bilge pumps are weak and the ship is taking on water . FWIW I was all over BCG his last season here , I got laughed at to by stating that smirk isn’t cool and he’s in waaaaaaaay over head . That was a nervous “ I’m about to break down “ smirk . But there were plenty saying the opposite just like now . I think , I’m not 100% sure but I, and Morg would be fine if Cal would address his shortcomings . Our offense is horribly broke , has been for years . That and that alone takes care of many many issues , mainly we win more of these hugely disappointing losses . And stop the abrasive attitude towards Ky bred players . He treated Derek Willis horribly . He’s showing the attitude with Allen. Why people want to pretend it isn’t an issue amazes me .

I could on forever . Just drop the ego and coach. Quit the coach speak and Coach. Stop worrying about draft night and coach . But guys , it isn’t happening , it’s entirely trending the opposite direction. We act like early season woes are just as normal as the sun coming up. Do these people even watch other games ? Bottom is exactly what Morg is saying , be a Kentucky fan first , not a Cal fan first . Look at what’s went on versus Kansas . Bill self owns Cal . This board thought Rick Barnes was a punch line . Not so laughable at this point . Look at our record versus ranked teams the past 5 years . Look at Cal’s record the last 5 year’s versus Tubbys . The ship isn’t OK! Maybe Cal is driving the Titantic , and the crew can’t believe it is possible it can sink , right til it does .

I do appreciate what Cal did here the first 5 years, it was INCREDIBLE ! Provided me as fun as Pitino’s red hot years . But we are trending down , and down fast and hard . Something has to be done . And I can’t envision Cal changing.

How do you define domination? Because I would say that although Kentucky has the greatest program ever, we’ve only dominated 2 or 3 five year stretches in the last 40 years.
That isn't entirely accurate. If it was, we would not have such lopsided head to heads against rivals and our extremely lopsided SEC Titles.

OP you need to stop some of this crap you try and start after we lose. Cal isn't good in the half court offense that is just facts, Cal loses players now to other programs because of his awful style of play. It's ugly and people wonder why we lost them to other programs, well because you can get drafted high with any team,.. coach. Hell UGA had a player go #1. So yeah Duke is the new it school again (thank god nothing to show for it past 5 years). We will lose to a crappy team AU or K State at times.

BUT the reason why I don't get to upset right now is because I know Cal will figure it out soon. Maybe 2 years from now but he will be on top again and I'll bet the farm on it.

It will be clear and night and day and you'll look foolish trying to talk the fanbase into a mid level coach like you re trying to tonight.
I think you are wrong. I think Cal will quit before he changes one single thing. He told us from day one what his priority would be and that is being a players first school and getting kids into the NBA and that winning titles is secondary. And in 10 years, that is exactly what he has done.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I’m just going to say the cold hard truth...

Cal has masked his coaching flaws simply by his recruiting. Period. His coaching style doesn’t relate to today’s players, his offense (see coaching flaws) sucks, and tries to hide that by stressing so much on defense.

Cal is the slick Ferrari salesman that sells you on the cars features, but isn’t the guy to take the driving lessons from.

I’m just going to say the cold hard truth...

Cal has masked his coaching flaws simply by his recruiting. Period. His coaching style doesn’t relate to today’s players, his offense (see coaching flaws) sucks, and tries to hide that by stressing so much on defense.

Cal is the slick Ferrari salesman that sells you on the cars features, but isn’t the guy to take the driving lessons from.

true . Many just hate to admit it .

ADVERTISEMENT