ADVERTISEMENT

Part of the Problem for Me

2003Elite8

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2024
Is expectations. Calipari came in like a house on fire. He brought Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Orton, Orton's dad. He kept PPat in the fold. And we went to the Elite 8. Maybe the game against Miami Ohio was scary, but John Wall got it done in the end and we had a great season. It was a great start. BCG had an ignominious start to his career but that entire run was hard to watch and is hard to think about. Tubby won it all in his first season. We were ineligible for the tournament the first two seasons of Pitino's run, but there was marked improvement from year one to year two and year three Pitino started his run and never looked back. Heck, even Eddie Sutton went 32-4 and went to the Elite 8. Joe B. Hall? Elite 8 in his first season. Point is, every coach we've had since Rupp, with the exception of the one who was a leigitimately terrible fit, had a great or at least very promising start to their run at UK.

What should expectations for our next coach be? Is that relative to the coach? If it's Hurley are we expecting instance dominance or are we cutting him a couple of year's slack to get things set up? If It's Nate Oats or Scott Drew or Brad Underwood are the expectations in the Elite 8 range? If it's Billy Donovan are we expecting utter, total, and complete dominance from the first tip?

I just want someone who brings the seriousness of the program. We should have been beating teams by 30 and 40 for a long time now.

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP
I think most will be patient with a rough year or 2 as long as he doesn’t mention gold standard and they see progress and getting back to basics. Half of the problem with Cal was all the talk and no action and the narcissism.

Reactions: NociHTTP
My expectations are:

Year 1 - winning record, show improvement as season goes on

Year 2 - about the same, but have some system in place where guys are not running to the NBA and growing into their roles with the team

Year 3 - competitive, capable of a deep run in the tourney

Year 4 - title contender

Man I just want a Coach that plays his best players and I can tell what the game plan is

I want to see inbounds plays - multiple defenses I want a Coach I can listen to his call in shows without having to turn it off because he acts like a nut job

I want someone that understands analytics and recruiting skilled players

Expectations:

Make the tournament nearly every year with injuries being the only reason for missing (crap does happen)
Compete at high level during said tournament.
Compete in the Top 3 of the SEC
Win the SECT 33 percent of the time
Win the SEC Regular season 45-50 percent of the time
Get to the S15 the majority of NCAATs.
Be in the title conversation 75% of the seasons.

And that's the BASELINE

Is expectations. Calipari came in like a house on fire. He brought Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Orton, Orton's dad. He kept PPat in the fold. And we went to the Elite 8. Maybe the game against Miami Ohio was scary, but John Wall got it done in the end and we had a great season. It was a great start. BCG had an ignominious start to his career but that entire run was hard to watch and is hard to think about. Tubby won it all in his first season. We were ineligible for the tournament the first two seasons of Pitino's run, but there was marked improvement from year one to year two and year three Pitino started his run and never looked back. Heck, even Eddie Sutton went 32-4 and went to the Elite 8. Joe B. Hall? Elite 8 in his first season. Point is, every coach we've had, with the exception of the one who was a leigitimately terrible fit, had a great or at least very promising start to their run at UK.

What should expectations for our next coach be? Is that relative to the coach? If it's Hurley are we expecting instance dominance or are we cutting him a couple of year's slack to get things set up? If It's Nate Oats or Scott Drew or Brad Underwood are the expectations in the Elite 8 range? If it's Billy Donovan are we expecting utter, total, and complete dominance from the first tip?

I just want someone who brings the seriousness of the program. We should have been beating teams by 30 and 40 for a long time now.
Get the right guy and we should expect to win right away. This is a new landscape. No more honeymoon period. Get the wrong guy and we are a bubble team until we just run him off and try again.

My expectations are:

Year 2 - about the same, but have some system in place where guys are not running to the NBA and growing into their roles with the team

Year 4 - title contender
With NIL and the trade portal, and a great coach, this timeline should be cut in half.

My expectations are:

Year 4 - title contender
Those are low expectations

Is expectations. Calipari came in like a house on fire. He brought Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Orton, Orton's dad. He kept PPat in the fold. And we went to the Elite 8. Maybe the game against Miami Ohio was scary, but John Wall got it done in the end and we had a great season. It was a great start. BCG had an ignominious start to his career but that entire run was hard to watch and is hard to think about. Tubby won it all in his first season. We were ineligible for the tournament the first two seasons of Pitino's run, but there was marked improvement from year one to year two and year three Pitino started his run and never looked back. Heck, even Eddie Sutton went 32-4 and went to the Elite 8. Joe B. Hall? Elite 8 in his first season. Point is, every coach we've had since Rupp, with the exception of the one who was a leigitimately terrible fit, had a great or at least very promising start to their run at UK.

Expectations became oads, none and dones, draft night greatest day in UK history, only March matters when it didn't. Plus a) the bloviating. Time for a change. KENTUCKY FIRST.

Reactions: JC CATS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT