ADVERTISEMENT

ACC is overrated

The ACC has the most championships and highest winning percentage in the tournament since the 64 team expansion. In recent history it’s mainly Ben the ACC and Big East winning the most in the tournament.

You must work for ESPN. Yes, thanks to Duke and North Carolina. Teams that often lose, yet barely fall. And in some cases they lose and actually move up in polls. Which gets favorable tournament seeding. (Cute gig if you can get in on it), but it's this exact type of incestuous circular reasoning that has teams like NC, Virginia tech, Florida state, NC state over ranked. It's the same type of reasoning that decries Virginia's "efficiency," which doesn't mean squat when they get into the tournament and flame out like clockwork. And it's this same type of reasoning that gives Duke losses to a lowly little sec team like South Carolina, 14 seeded Mercer in the first round, or 15 seeded mighty Lehigh. Because gosh darn it, that ACC is so darn good. Just ask Bilas, or Jay Williams, they'll tell ya. The Acc circle jerk.

You must work for ESPN. Yes, thanks to Duke and North Carolina. Teams that often lose, yet barely fall. And in some cases they lose and actually move up in polls. Which gets favorable tournament seeding. (Cute gig if you can get in on it), but it's this exact type of incestuous circular reasoning that has teams like NC, Virginia tech, Florida state, NC state over ranked. It's the same type of reasoning that decries Virginia's "efficiency," which doesn't mean squat when they get into the tournament and flame out like clockwork. And it's this same type of reasoning that gives Duke losses to a lowly little sec team like South Carolina, 14 seeded Mercer in the first round, or 15 seeded mighty Lehigh. Because gosh darn it, that ACC is so darn good. Just ask Bilas, or Jay Williams, they'll tell ya. The Acc circle jerk.
Your gif is a Duke grad.

Remember, Duke didn't have Cam and Tre for that Syracuse game so you can basically throw that out. That's like judging UK on a game where Hagans and Herro don't play.
That's not unreasonable, but the flipside is that your team's biggest weakness is the severe lack of depth. In terms of the immense chasm between starting five and their backups, this is one of the most notable teams in CBB history. IOW, injury or foul trouble is an entirely reasonable concern.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
The ACC more really really bad teams than they have in a long time, like as bad as they get. thus, the middle is more like the bottom of most years. I am not so worried, as it is not getting the hype as usual and the SEC has gotten some good love as it should. The ACC has really missed on some coaching hires while the SEC has made that a focus and it has paid off.

So do you think Virginia wouldn’t have got a 1 seed if they were in a conference other than the ACC last year?

Do you think Gonzaga gets overseeded as well? They’re not in the ACC.

Was thinking h same thing. Either every other conference is overrated or team is overrrated except the SEC and what ever team happens to lose to in the SEC

I have a serious question

Is there any conference you find NOT overrated.

All i hear the Big 12 is overrated, the Big 10 is overrated, the ACC is overrated.

So what conference is not? lol

If it’s that easy how come teams haven’t been able to do it? Yeah it’s easy to say but I’d Sion and RJ are doing their thing they pretty much curb stomp teams. The issue is their third option is a top 5 pick, their pg is a elite level defender and their top two scores also play top level defense

Zion is a athletic freak of a Basketball god! He’s can’t hit the three consistently and isn’t a great free throw shooter! RJ will he’s good is a ball hog when in crunch time will be the downfall! Easy game plan let those two get theirs and stop the rest which won’t be hard! And shoot lots of threes! Last years champion would have no problem knocking you all off!

The ACC is very overrated. Doesn’t mean it’s not a rough league, just means people overrate how deep it usually is.

Take the same exact team, throw them in a NC State uniform and then put them in a LSU uniform. Their rating while wearing NCSU will be 11. In the LSU uniform it will probably be 19 - 20. The SEC is hated by college basketball in general. It’s by far the most underrated league year to year.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
So how will these teams score if they keep fouling (causing their best players to be out of the game due to foul trouble). No smart coach would ever use that dumb strategy for a whole game. Only makes sense for the close game at the end. Also what happens if Duke just gets the ball to their good free throw shooters since they will be in the bonus? If you foul someone with out the ball then they get the free throws And the ball. Also they have shown they can hit open shots and get hot much better than hitting from the outside while being depended. Some very flawed logic

Here's the thing, you are right in that it's not quite that simple. It's going to take a team packing it in, fouling, and inviting Duke's players to shoot, but the defenders still have to be capable. Teams with respectable length and athleticism, that are also willing to play some junk defense / fundamentally sound zone, are the teams Duke will be particularly vulnerable to. Syracuse, Florida State, and Gonzaga (teams that exposed Duke's flaws) each have some solid length and athleticism.

The true issue is teams generally don't play that way, sans Syracuse and maybe a few others. Duke's advantage over the course of the entire season is that you force teams to play outside of their typical strategy to beat you. Barrett and Zion are both otherworldly athletic. And with Barrett, he has incredible size for his skillset. It's really hard to match up with those two.

But as stated, it's a single elimination tournament, and there will be a lot of teams that will be willing to muck the game up against Duke.

If it’s that easy how come teams haven’t been able to do it? Yeah it’s easy to say but I’d Sion and RJ are doing their thing they pretty much curb stomp teams. The issue is their third option is a top 5 pick, their pg is a elite level defender and their top two scores also play top level defense

In their last 3 games they have been down at half to teams like GT and today BC, who’s pretty bad sitting at around 150 in the NET rankings which places them nearly dead last in the ACC. They were up on Duke at half.

Duke plays down to competition. That will get you beat in the tournament. Barrett takes plays off when he’s not scoring. Zion doesn’t go 100 all game either. They both make up over 50% of Dukes scoring. One of them goes quiet agaisnt a good team and they lose.

And yes they’ve already been beat, and we’re close to being beat several more times. I actually watch a lot of Duke games.

Duke is a damn good team. Capable of winning it but nowhere near the locks that UK 96, Duke 01, Florida 08, UNC 05, UK 12, were. People act like this team is one of those “guarantees” and keep pretending they just destroy everyone all game it’s not true at all.

The conference to question isn't really the ACC. They're not the overwhelming monster some people expected this year, and teams like NC St, Va Tech, and Florida St look like prime candidates to lose in the 1st round of the tournament (I'd include Syracuse, but Syracuse has had some weird tournament zone mojo going on the last 6 years). They still have 3 teams that appear to be FF threats (yes, I think you unfortunately have to include UNC at this point), and UL can easily make the Sweet 16.

The conference that really needs to be questioned is the Big 12. One game in the tournament, or one year's worth of games in the tournament, doesn't mean much. But how about 9 years worth of tournament games? Here are some numbers I compiled a few weeks ago:

Big 12 and SEC NCAA tournament results from 2010-18:

Number of bids: Big 12= 57, SEC= 40
Number of teams seeded 1-5: Big 12= 33, SEC =18
Number of Sweet 16 appearances: Big 12= 20, SEC= 17
Overall record: Big 12= 68-57, SEC= 67-39.

Last edited:
Also, in related news, water is wet, the sun is hot, and moon best viewed at night......:D

They always get the hype and recognition. It is what it is.

Reactions: runt#69
In their last 3 games they have been down at half to teams like GT and today BC, who’s pretty bad sitting at around 150 in the NET rankings which places them nearly dead last in the ACC. They were up on Duke at half.

Duke plays down to competition. That will get you beat in the tournament. Barrett takes plays off when he’s not scoring. Zion doesn’t go 100 all game either. They both make up over 50% of Dukes scoring. One of them goes quiet agaisnt a good team and they lose.

And yes they’ve already been beat, and we’re close to being beat several more times. I actually watch a lot of Duke games.

Duke is a damn good team. Capable of winning it but nowhere near the locks that UK 96, Duke 01, Florida 08, UNC 05, UK 12, were. People act like this team is one of those “guarantees” and keep pretending they just destroy everyone all game it’s not true at all.
Ummm....Florida didn't win it all in '08.

How is Duke flawed? They're a top 5 offensive and defensive team with 4 1st round picks and a generational talent on their roster coached by a HOFer.

Anything can happen in the tournament but they"ll be the favorites to cut down the nets.
How are they flawed? Good grief. Your takes are dumber by the post. Go back to something you know....Pokémon or D&D.

Wisconsin, Duke and Arizona that year were championship contenders in pretty much any other year. UK's defense suffered without Poythress and the Cats couldn't stop Sam Dekker.

The field is much weaker this year and only Duke is comparable to those Final 4 teams from 2015.
[jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile][jumpingsmile]....I get it now. Short bus rider.

Remember, Duke didn't have Cam and Tre for that Syracuse game so you can basically throw that out. That's like judging UK on a game where Hagans and Herro don't play.
Yeah, if they only had the top two rated players or multiple MCDAA's, they might have pulled that one out. Gimme a break. That was played in the worse reffed arena in CBB and they still lost to unranked Syracuse team that got trucked a few days before by freakin' Ga Tech. You are completely clueless.

He's as close to being unstoppable as you can get at the college level. If the only hope that rival fans have is that he randomly just has a bad day one day in the tournament, then that's all you can really ask for if you're Duke.

Yes, Duke is a poor 3 point and FT shooting team but if all you had to do was pack everything in the paint, then why hasn't any team really been able to implement that successfully so far?

You"ll mention Syracuse I'm sure but Duke didn't have Tre Jones or Cam Reddish for that game so that changes things a lot seeing as they're 2 of our best players and Tre is our PG.

Notre Dame and St. John's tried to do exactly what you outlined and they each were destroyed by Duke. It's not that simple.

Duke has had plenty of great shooting teams that have flamed out early in the NCAAT since they played poor defense. I"ll take a great defensive team which plays great team basketball and has 2 of the best shot makers in college over a good shooting team all day.

I'd be more worried if the field of contenders wasn't so weak this year but no one's as good as the past few Villanova teams or that UK and Wisconsin team from 2015.

Notre Dame and St. John’s suck. When a good team tries it we will see how it does.

Guess we should give them the title then

UK is all about championships....number of 'ships since 2000.
ACC 8
SEC 3
B10 2
B12 1
Also ACC 5 of the last 10, what am I missing?

ACC 8
SEC 3
B10 2
B12 1

Using that reasoning, no one could ever say teams in the Pac12 were overrated, correct?
PAC12: 15 championships.
ACC is historically a great conference, but with the exception of Duke, they just look overrated to ME this year. I mean NC state just scored the fewest points EVER in the shot clock era (24) against Virginia tech. Their ranking prior to that game? They were ranked # 23! Sorry, I just see several overrated teams this year, who are getting the benefit of the doubt because they play in the ACC.

ACC 8
SEC 3
B10 2
B12 1

So is the SEC the second best conference in the nation?

And why did you stop at 2000? Make that 25 years and the SEC has 5. Go back 30 years we have 6. So that’s the second best basketball conference in the nation for sure, right?

He's as close to being unstoppable as you can get at the college level. If the only hope that rival fans have is that he randomly just has a bad day one day in the tournament, then that's all you can really ask for

I saw Dan Dakich absolutely shut down Michael Jordan. For 1 game. That's all he had to do.

Code:
Conference     Championships (since 1985)     Years
ACC     10     1991, 1992, 1993, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2017
Big East     8     1985, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018,
SEC     6     1994, 1996, 1998, 2006, 2007, 2012
Big Ten     3     1987, 1989, 2000
Pac-12     2     1995, 1997
Big 8     1     1988
Metro     1     1986
AAC     1     2014
Big 12     1     2008
Big West     1     1990

Winning percentage (since 1985)
Code:
Conference     Total wins     Total losses     Percentage
ACC                 270               136          0.665
SEC                 209               129          0.618
Big Ten             243               160          0.603
Big East            242               162          0.599
Big 12              155               113          0.578
Pac-12               35                28          0.556
AAC                  14                13          0.519
C-USA                49                47          0.510

Last edited:
ACC 8
SEC 3
B10 2
B12 1
One thing you're apparently missing is the fact that Louisville wasn't in the ACC when they won a title in 2013.

So try counting again, troll.

But Maryland was.......I wasnt counting UL.

And yes, I think SEC is the second best conference this year.

Code:
Conference     Championships (since 1985)     Years
ACC     10     1991, 1992, 1993, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2017
Big East     8     1985, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018,
SEC     6     1994, 1996, 1998, 2006, 2007, 2012
Big Ten     3     1987, 1989, 2000
Pac-12     2     1995, 1997
Big 8     1     1988
Metro     1     1986
AAC     1     2014
Big 12     1     2008
Big West     1     1990

Winning percentage (since 1985)
Code:
Conference     Total wins     Total losses     Percentage
ACC                 270               136          0.665
SEC                 209               129          0.618
Big Ten             243               160          0.603
Big East            242               162          0.599
Big 12              155               113          0.578
Pac-12               35                28          0.556
AAC                  14                13          0.519
C-USA                49                47          0.510

Man the pac 12 has sucked for a long time. Cool info!

But Maryland was.......I wasnt counting UL.

And yes, I think SEC is the second best conference this year.
OK, I thought you said 5 this decade, but you said 5 of the last 10. Very good trolling use of time frames. Bravo.

But we can play that game all day. Go back 6 years from 2000, and suddenly the SEC has 3 more, and the ACC none. Go back to the beginning of the tournament, and 8 is still more than 6 or 5.

Last edited:
all I’ve heard all year is how difficult it is as a conference. Outside of duke and uva, I just don’t see it. There are a slew of teams like Fla St, Va Tech, NC St that are just plain average. Not that good actually.

Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and Pitt are all a shell of the programs they used to be.

Virginia, Virginia Tech, UNC, Florida State, and Duke are legit.

NC State and Syracuse are fool's gold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT