ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

The gas grilled hot dogs I cooked in 10 minutes last night tasted damned good as I sat with my son on the back deck watching the sun set. Maybe it's just me, but I'm a lot more interested in spending time with him than trying to figure out the perfect temperature and charcoal to use. (And they still would have tasted the same.)

If I want to smoke something, I'll carve out the time and fire up the smoker.

Chase: Buy an extra propane tank.

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
The gas grilled hot dogs I cooked in 10 minutes last night tasted damned good as I sat with my son on the back deck watching the sun set. Maybe it's just me, but I'm a lot more interested in spending time with him than trying to figure out the perfect temperature and charcoal to use. (And they still would have tasted the same.)

If I want to smoke something, I'll carve out the time and fire up the smoker.

Chase: Buy an extra propane tank.
Damn false. Damn.

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
If I get a 22 weber will I eventually wish I got a 26? I'm a novice, but seems like the extra room would be beneficial for smoking. What are cons of the 26?

Probably, yes. 22 is fine, what I have...

but with grills, you always need more space then you think you do, especially if you're smoking/cooking indirect, space eats up quickly, b/c you're already starting with only about half the grate available for indirect cooking.

Yep, plus every poor in America has a 22 in weber. Need to make it clear I am not that by purchasing a 26 copper bad boy.

Reactions: AthensCatFan
Gas grill guys here is a little secret, but please keep it in here. For $65 Atmos will come out and run a gas line to your grill. No tank is ever needed, well as long as you are not a poor and can pay the gas bill and it never gets cut off. IF I use the gas grill (seldom), it is in a time pinch, but I never worry about a empty tank. Main gas line FTW.

The ONLY advantage of a grill over charcoal is cooking at separate temperatures at the same time. TMFS

They have both posted about seviche made with tilapia in separate threads fwiw.
If you re read the thread, I was informing this bastion of intelligence about the disgusting fish - tilapia. Then I joked about it about Bruce Jenners cock being less disgusting to make ceviche.

Learn comprehension AND spelling.

LOL! I forgot. You are right.
1nick-burns-computer-guy.jpg

Last edited:
For a beginner it is. Pretty easy to spot the Novice grillers in this thread. Still say we need a Smoking ? Grilling competition. Just like BBQ Pitmasters, that would be some comic gold if taken with a little humor mixed in with serious grilling. And definitely a lot of alcohol induced smack talk.

I'd put him 2nd after Pope, Dr. just has a magic hand with seasoning which is hard to overcome.

Within a year of Egging tho, I'll be the clear #1 -- fylm is the only dude I wouldn't bet against overall. Actually, I still would, but would lose, which is okay.

Anybody have any cool apps or sides they like or want to try? I'm thinking about doing a bacon explosion soon. Tonight is grilled chicken tacos.

Did smoked hamburgers & fries last night -------> unreal.

1.) Go to God Damn Ritzy's, buy burger and fries, let come to room temp.
2.) Get grill/smoker to about 225
3.) Smoke over Pecan/Cherry for 12-14 minutes

Profit. Probably try to smoke their milkshake next, will probably have to get it really frozen first though. This egg is incredible.

-Chase.

Reactions: _Chase_
Damn prime ribeyes at damn fresh market for gotdamn $19/lb. Said they plan on carrying prime damn beef regularly now.

A competition like pit master's would be a lotof damn fun. No idea what meat you're getting. No recipe waiting. One damn thing I don't do, that's a major damn mistake, is document my cooks to figure out successes and damn failures.

Yeah, I've been meaning to have a little damn Black Book with all my recipes, experiments, temps, times, successes/failures/etc when cooking/grilling for damn YEARS now....but still haven't done it.

Ok Anthony I have a 12 lb brisket. You have a rough estimate on how many hrs that will take at 225 to 235? Also do you think I should do it on the damn gas grill? J/k on the gas grill part.

I think the rule of thumb is 1.25 hours per damn lb. You'll trim a damb lb off the fat cap so 13 hours or so plus at least an hour rest. Probably not the best damn person to ask about timing. While I can cook them I can't time them for shit. Best thing to do is give yourself plenty of damn time and if it's ready early, wrap and put in a cooler. It'll hold just damn fine and probably get even better.

Go by the damn internal temp instead of a damn time.

At 225 to 235, you are looking at about a 14 to 20 hour cook. Cook until it's 195 to 205 internal temp.

Make sure you stay on task during the damn plateau. That will take at least an hour, maybe 3. Do not give up and pull it off, it's worth the wait.

Pull it once you hit the temp, let it rest for 2 to 3 hours, wrapped up.

Good damn advice from JB, but make sure you watch Aaron Franklins youtubes because you'll want to watch tenderness as its much more important than internal damn temp.

I've been looking around for ideas on different stuff to smoke or grill and found some recipes for smoked beef shoulder or chuck roast. Some say you can slice it like prime rib or pull it like pork. Its a relatively cheap cut, might be worth a shot.

franklin has a great YouTube vid on how to trim a brisket as well. It's not his typical YouTube stuff, it's from some sort of conference or classroom. About twenty minutes long but very helpful if trying to trim a whole brisket.

If you can consistently stay at 225/230 degrees until you hit an internal temp of 195, you'll have tender and juicy brisket. My last 14lb brisket took about 20hrs but was damn worth it.

I've been looking around for ideas on different stuff to smoke or grill and found some recipes for smoked beef shoulder or chuck roast. Some say you can slice it like prime rib or pull it like pork. Its a relatively cheap cut, might be worth a shot.

Try a Pepper Stout Beef...definitely one of my favorite things to make on the Smoker. Get some crusty rolls, Horsey Sass, Provolone, and profit for days. Makes a great leftovers w/ Tortillas as well.

http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

I think the rule of thumb is 1.25 hours per damn lb. You'll trim a damb lb off the fat cap so 13 hours or so plus at least an hour rest. Probably not the best damn person to ask about timing. While I can cook them I can't time them for shit. Best thing to do is give yourself plenty of damn time and if it's ready early, wrap and put in a cooler. It'll hold just damn fine and probably get even better.

giphy.gif

It's unreal. And a 1 on the toughness scale.

Maybe my favorite thing I've made after start-to-finish Smoked Chili on the Weber, which would have won any World Championship.

franklin has a great YouTube vid on how to trim a brisket as well. It's not his typical YouTube stuff, it's from some sort of conference or classroom. About twenty minutes long but very helpful if trying to trim a whole brisket.

If you can consistently stay at 225/230 degrees until you hit an internal temp of 195, you'll have tender and juicy brisket. My last 14lb brisket took about 20hrs but was damn worth it.

Yep. Brisket is done when it tells you... Plus, when you drop $140 for a primo cut of meat. You do not rush it. You don't deviate from the gameplan.

The last time I did brisket was un friggin belieivable. Used a rub from Fette Sau in BKN. DIgi Q is key for super long cooks.

http://whowantscake.com/2010/09/23/fette-sau-dry-rub-recipe/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT