ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

I hate our grill pan, finally got the lass converted to the Cast Iron, which she used to be intimidated by for some weird reason.

Probably throw it away soon, TS.

Whole Foods, specialty grocers, etc have acceptable Tilapia partners -- but there is 0% chance that's what krazykats uses.

Correct I didn't go to Whole Foods, but I would for the right cause.

This tilapia came from restaurant depot or bluefin which is a seafood supplier downtown.

And Krazykats does not usually use tilapia of any sort, was told its a decent meat to use for ceviche. This was the absolute first time I ever cooked it at home and first time attempt at ceviche.

You need new Food friends, that was terrible advice. Glad you never started that restaurant.

Yeah, I think I'll go with shit-eating Chinese Pond fish for my raw seafood tonight...

From Kenji:

Virtually any fish will work for ceviche, but I prefer to use semi-firm, white-fleshed ocean fish such as sea bass, striped bass, grouper, or flat fishes like sole or flounder. The key is not to get locked into one fish before you get to the market—whatever is freshest is what you should go with, even if it's not what you originally planned. The exception are certain types of fishes in the mackerel family, such as mackerel, sardines, or tuna. Other oily fishes like bluefish or jack don't make the best ceviche either, nor do freshwater fish like trout or catfish

Reactions: Kooky Kats
^
-Smoked shrimp? Hmm. I'd say thats a really tender process to keep them from getting rubbery and absorbing too much smoke.

Yeah, had them somewhere a few years back and they were excellent. Basically going to try skewers at like three different time frames and see what happens. I've read 45 minutes, but that seems way too long at ~225. I guess you could cold smoke them, but I don't have the equipment for that, yet.

I had chefs ready to help with a menu, but that property owner went full on under the table deal and the people I had backing me wanted it to be legit.

I got the management and service side down, but offered 2 chefs excellent pay and a percentage of my part to take over the menu and training of cooks.

Still something I want to do one day, but I'm not a food expert.

I had them them on a salad, they came out chilled I think. I want to say I was in Savannah or nearby, but can't remember the restaurant or even neighborhood to look them up. Its probably been 5-7 years, but I remember loving those suckers. I thought it was a shrimp salad when I ordered it, like a mayonnaise salad, that they had just added some smoked bacon or liquid smoke to, but it was a nice surprise.

Some interesting ideas here: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/593753

Damn those sound good. Chilled with some cajun spices and remoulade.

FYI: You can find recipes for any commercial seasoning online. All those commercial seasonings are packed with shit.

Man, I soaked some catfish filets in some Mad Dog 20/20 Kiwi last night, best damn catfish I have ever smoked. I think the Kiwi pushed it over the top from good to great. Did not even have to use butter to flavor it. Going to step my game up and try some Swahili marinated in some TJ Swan or maybe Boonesfarm Apple next. I will report back when finished with the results. Any recs on Swahili Krazy ?

how-about-no-bear-meme.jpg

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Anyone purchase a whole brisket in louisville recently? The couple of places I've looked only had flats.

^^^^Costco has had whole packer briskets on a regular basis for sometime now, 14 to 18lbs. Every now and then, USDA Prime briskets. They do trimmed flats but they are more like 5 or 6 lbs instead of the 3 or 4 lbers at Kroger/meijer.

STEAKS

What's everyone's thoughts on Temps for doneness?

Kinda funny, if you google, the different answers you get.

130 seems a common temp for med rare, but I personally think that's the very bottom range. And that number typically doesn't factor in rest/rising temps. I certainly don't test my steaks AFTER rest, so who knows what they are served at.

Wikipedia states 130-140 for med Rare.
Kansas City Prime states 130-140
Certified Angus states 145 for med Rare (false)
USDA isn't even worth mentioning, they are obviously protecting their ass as a gov't entity
Amazingribs.com - 135 for Med Rare
Omaha Steaks - 130-140 for Med Rare

There a countless other examples...

For me, I think 130-135'ish is all good, and actually prefer a tad over 130...as I happen to agree that's the bottom point.

I've had steaks come out in the low-to-mid 130s that are pretty much perfect. Of course, it depends on the cut, marbling, mouth feel of that particular steak.

In my opinion, a steak certainly isn't 'ruined' if it's pulled over 130, or even up to 135'ish...if it's cooked with good technique/sear/seasoning.

I know some RARE snobs, but I feel like that's machismo kicking in....Rare = Red Cool center. I don't want my meat 'cool' unless I'm at Del Posto eating Carpaccio, but that's just me. I'll take a MedRare+ over a Rare+ every time, at least on my own grill

...and as mentioned before, I'm typically cooking for my wife as well, so I prefer to err on the side of MedRare+, if I can't nail MedRare. I always try to pull early, b/c you can always fix that...but I've gotten to where I'm almost as happy with a MedRare+ if ti means not having to put everything back on the grill.

In your experience, what's your maximum cutoff for a good Med Rare? Ideally, I like to pull at around 130, and rest with tented foil to rise a bit

Guess my point is that while we all try to NAIL our preferred temp, the actual 'range' is a bit more generous than most of the professionals on here are probably willing to admit.

Obviously, everyone's tastes/preferences differ. Thoughts? Just thought it was interesting how many different 'official' answers there are from respectable sources/chefs/etc for such a common question.

I'm pulling my steak in the 126-130 range. Even at that it tends to cook on up to perfect mid-rare. Over 135 is too much on the edges for most thick cuts in my opinion.

I pull at as close to 125 as I can. Like you, never checked the final temp but I'd guess it rises 5 to 10 degrees off the grill. I don't tent with foil, just let it rest on a rack.

Yeah, I've not done any turbo HOSS butcher style cuts yet, just your regular steaks. Plan to do that soon, have a 'decent' 14oz strip on tap for tonight.

Wodie Veggie recipes/methods other than Corn & Asparagus? Think I may try the reverse sear tonight, putting the veggies on first & then while the steak is roasting....then finishing over higher heat after the sear.

I pulled a strip at 135 over the weekend and half of it was too done the other half was perfect. My gas grill sucks, tho. Very inconsistent in different areas of the grill.

Next time I'm pulling at 128-130.

Starting my pork shoulder at 5am Sunday on the WSM. Can't wait for the wabba wabba.

Now that you're comfy with Charcoal, you should get a Weber Kettle to put beside your Smoker. $100

I used to think it would be cool to keep my gas grill for "quick/easy" cooks, but the reality is, you can get your Kettle up to temp in 10-15 minutes with a Chimney. After a year of not using it a single time after I got the Weber, we set the ole Charbroil Gas Grill, a pretty nice one, on the sidewalk...

(Advantage of living in the South End. It was gone within about 18 minutes, as is anything else we sit out there)

Or spend that $100 on an Anova circulator with the code provided by a poster above and pull the steak at a perfectly cooked temperature throughout. You won't be disappointed.

I thought about that, too...but I don't think I'd use it for anything other than special occasions or to switch it up. Despite the obvious results, there is something very boring about cooking your dinner in a water bath.

It apparently produces great chicken & everything else as well....but so does my grill.

JMO

Probably just wait for Anth to get a Rolls Royce Thomas Keller model, and if he worships, I'll go w/ a simple Anova circulator

I've thought about it but I use my gas grill way too often on stuff I can't screw up like burgers, brats, dogs, chicken breast to throw it away.

My wife hates steak, so I rarely grill them. And when I do they usually turn out pretty damn good, just not always perfect.

I wish I had a better exhaust system and gas range so I could cast iron them.

Next time I might just take the barrel off of the WSM and sear the steak directly over the coals, then put the barrel on with out the water pan and finish it up top.

Gas grills are not more convenient. TS. They have to warm up as well. If you're throwing a steak on them immediately you're touching up. Plus running out of gas mid cook.

-Light grill, go in and prep, grill is ready by the time your done. It's simple and the results aren't even close.

-I'm kind of out on the Anova. I really want one but we already have too much silly stuff in the kitchen we use on rare occasions.

-As for uneven temps on a steak. That's where a good instant read comes in. I check multiple areas on my meats to see where my hot spots are, then flip and move multiple times accordingly. That's why flipping steaks as much as you need is important.

Wonder why Kenji doesn't have a TV show ala Alton Brown to the extreme?

That guy is amazing.

-Anth nailed my point....a charcoal grill is just as easy as gas pretty much, and the results are initiely better, even on 'simple' stuff like burgers, brats, and chicken.

Grow up Willy

Gas grills are definitely a lot more convenient. Simply eliminating the need to load/light/dispose of charcoal makes it less of a hassle.

You do have to make sure you have gas, but that isn't exactly hard to do.

Turn on the gas, press a button to light it, move dial to preferred temp and let it warm up for a few minutes.

You aren't going to get those professional sear high temps and aren't going to have the same flavor as charcoal, but it couldn't be more convenient.

Kenji used to be employed by America's Test Kitchen, so he probably had a non-compete. He is starting a video series through Serious Eats though, he just finished a big kickstarter campaign for it.

I don't have an Anova... yet. But my buddy that I cook a lot of dinner parties with uses his non-stop. Its super handy for groups as its impossible to screw up the show piece of the meal.

I am already addicted to my WSM, I enjoy the whole process of getting everything ready. It is an art.

But when I come home from work and the wife and kids are hungry it is easier to throw a couple of burgers or dogs on the gas grill. Its not like I am microwaving them.

I'm talking real life cooking to feed your family, not trying to win a BBQ contest.

You're just incorrect. Takes me less than 4-5 minutes to get my grill going. Scrape ash, pour charcoal, blow torch, walk in, prep, walk back out and it's ready to use. At max you're saving a minute or 2. Not like we're talking 10-15 minutes of your day. For a far superior product.

Because burgers/dogs/chicken grilled on a gas grill is delicious.

If I want to bake, fry, sauté, boil, broil, poach or roast something I'll use my stove/oven. If I want something grilled, I will use my grill.

Forget about time for a minute...

Scrape ash? Nope.
Pour charcoal? Nope.
Blow torch? Nope.
Dispose of ash, charcoal, etc.? Nope

I keep forgetting that you hire people to do these things for you. For me, a gas grill is convenient in certain situations although I prefer the favor of charcoal.

Scrape ash = takes less than 15 seconds.

Pour charcoal = takes less than 15 seconds

$10 electric lighter = takes exactly 8 minutes.

Prep food during those 8 minutes (which you're doing regardless of what type of grill you're using)

Dispose of ash, charcoal = only have to do that every few cooks, not every time. And it takes maybe 5 minutes using a cheap ass shop vac from Walmart.

All of that time combined = less time than it takes to refill the propane tank every other week.

Add a blow torch, 30 seconds and I have an ash bucket I dump once per year.

But Williams life is so much more demanding that he needs that 3 minutes he saves while he broils his pre-pattied pre-frozen burgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT