ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

I'd like to see Kooky Kats smoke you fools in a regulation bbq competition. TS. He talks food second to Fylm.

Why don't they make colorful weber 26's. Black will not compliment my natural landscape. Might be a deal breaker.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
The European market has colorful Weber. I don't know about the 26" ones though.

Americans want black. It is easier to stock at big box stores too. I don't get it.

We had to order a green one from Lowes.com. The store only had copper and black. It should come later this week.

The best damn cooks are the ones that IF they make a damn mistake, or some damn problem like fire temps go down or way up, can by damn correct the damn thing and still turn out a fine smoked piece of meat. You can damn well bet, everything does not got damn go according to plan, damn better have a plan to fix it. A novice will screw the damn meat up every damn time if something goes wrong.

Yeah, I've been meaning to have a little damn Black Book with all my recipes, experiments, temps, times, successes/failures/etc when cooking/grilling for damn YEARS now....but still haven't done it.

Maybe we could create a damn Google Doc Paddock Cookbook and share it with everyone, but only allow edits by users who have been granted permission. That way you wouldn't have some random asshole changing recipes or adding shit like a recipe to grill Kahn's hot dogs. We could call it The Paddock BBQ Quran.

Any of you tried Tatonka dust? Supposed to be great on beef. A buddy of mine bought some and gave me some of it. I've got some thick ny strips I'm grilling tonight I think I'm going to put it on mine.

Smoked a couple whole chickens last night. Going to try to turn those into some smoked chicken and dumplings this evening.[cheers]

Smoked a couple whole chickens last night. Going to try to turn those into some smoked chicken and dumplings this evening.[cheers]

What's yiu recipe for chicken and dumplings? You doing the whole thing in your smoker or just adding smoked chicken to it?

I spatchcocked a couple of birds and smoked them as I normally would, and then cut the meat from the carcass and pulled the chicken.. Then today I made a stock/broth with the carcasses. Kept it simple with just the carasses, backbone, scrap bones, water, and a bit more salt and pepper. Let that simmer for about an hour, but probably should have gone longer. I drained the solids and then returned the liquid to a boil. I diluted the smokey stock with some normal chicken stock so that it wouldn't be overpowering. Then added the dumplings. The way I have always done dumplings is to just make it simple with a flour/water/salt/pepper mixture to make a thick paste that I think drop into the boiling stock by the spoonful. Then I added the smoked chicken meat and let it boil a bit more to thicken it.

That's pretty much it. It had a pretty nice smokey flavor to it, but wasn't overpowering. Here is a picture of what the finished product looked like coming out of the pot:

1800181_10100519500853448_1376056861646946369_n.jpg

I spatchcocked a couple of birds and smoked them as I normally would, and then cut the meat from the carcass and pulled the chicken.. Then today I made a stock/broth with the carcasses. Kept it simple with just the carasses, backbone, scrap bones, water, and a bit more salt and pepper. Let that simmer for about an hour, but probably should have gone longer. I drained the solids and then returned the liquid to a boil. I diluted the smokey stock with some normal chicken stock so that it wouldn't be overpowering. Then added the dumplings. The way I have always done dumplings is to just make it simple with a flour/water/salt/pepper mixture to make a thick paste that I think drop into the boiling stock by the spoonful. Then I added the smoked chicken meat and let it boil a bit more to thicken it.

That's pretty much it. It had a pretty nice smokey flavor to it, but wasn't overpowering. Here is a picture of what the finished product looked like coming out of the pot:

Awesome.

Reactions: Comebakatz3

That looks amazing! Going to try that IF I can ever learn how to grill/smoke food.

I'm smoking a butt on a weber next weekend, only thing I have ever smoked on is my egg. What's the setup? Drip pan below the grid and put lump all around?

Any other advice or tips?

Rush Prepped my first rolled/stuffed 3lb Pork Loin yesterday morning before golf....and pretty much messed it up. Don't think I went thin enough, b/c it won't roll - more like a fold. Oh well, first time doing that, and didn't take my time....watched 1 video then went right to it.

Gonna buy some butcher string and tie it up into an ugly mess this evening. Won't look pretty, but I imagine it will taste just the same....will do better next time.

-I always went coals on one side....drip pan on the other with some water (not necessary, but also serves a dual purpose helping keep the coals in a neat pile on one side.

DSC09641bsr1indirect-500x398.JPG

Some people make a tin foil 'shield' to slide between the coals/pan to provide even more of a barrier from the direct heat. I did this a few times, never saw a huge difference at 225.

Add a handful of wood chips every hour or so & profit. Like any other Pork Butt, pretty impossible to mess up.

Last edited:
I always tie kite string around mine if I cut it to open. The first time it happened to me, I started running around trying to find something to tie it closed with. In the garage (my last place to look), I found fishing line and kite string. Obvious choice was the kite string. Try using Apricot preserves stuffed in that bad boy. Damn good taste, not a better way to eat pork as far as the damn flavor goes.

,Yeah, toothpicks did not work -- so I tried our long metal skewers, and they didn't work either.

I just didn't cut it thin enough to get even one roll out of it...seems super easy on the videos I watched, but I guess I just rushed it -- also probably didn't help that I bought a 'manager special' Loin, which was far from an ideal uniform shape, which many videos noted was crucial to get the best roll.

Stuffing is Shallot, Spinach, Pine Nuts, and Gorgonzola.

Loosely followed this recipe, with some added seasonings/rub etc http://www.cookbetterthan.com/2012/10/19/pork-roast-stuffed-with-spinach-and-gorgonzola/

Smoked my first Boston Butts yesterday. Two 7+ lbers. Ended up taking 12 hours.

Had to do 3 loads of fuel.

They stayed at 167-170 for 4 hours. Pulled them at 195. Perfection.

22 adults destroyed it quickly.

I was surprised most people ate it with no bun. I had 36 buns on hand, thinking I didn't have enough. I still have half.

Offered a few bottles of store bought BBQ sauce and some of my mix… white vinegar, Montgomery Inn Sauce, squirt of mustard, sriracha, black pepper, kosher salt, a couple spoonfuls of the rub. It ends up like a NW Carolina vinegar dip. I love that shit.

I'm going to try a brisket before the summer is over. Probably just do a flat.

The flats are made more for crock pots, making corned beef, etc. If you're going to smoke a brisket it's slly to mess with them Waste of time and money.

Willy,

I know you refuse to use Kingsford Blue Bag but give it a chance on the next butt.

You aren't gaining any extra flavor with the lump in a WSM. Use wood chunks for the smoke. You should be able to set up a WSM once and it go for 16+ hours at 225.

It should've taken me two loads.

I don't know what happened to the second load. It was the bottom of a bag and I think I just had too many small pieces in there.

I only needed the third load for about 1 1/2 hours but when I went to bed last night it was still at 250 with all the vents wide open.

I might try the Kingsford Blue Bag once and see how it goes. The Royal Oak natural lump is only $15 for a large bag, though.

What is up with Bucket's championing of generic Kingsford Chemicalquettes?

I mean, they are fine I guess and will certainly get the job done...but you pimp them at any chance you get. Weird.

What is your favorite lighter fluid?

I did two 4lb pork butts this weekend on the egg. Took me 3hrs at 225/230 to get to 150 internal, it took me 21total hrs to get to 195 internal. The stall/plateau at that temp was around 3 hrs. Three hour rest at the end.

I was never below 220 and never over 235.

It was long, but the final product was probably the best I've done.

We did pulled pork tacos with fresh ingredients, it was gone quickly.

Yes. Took that long to get to 195. Again, I was 150 in just under four hours. Stalled out at 155 for several hours then it was only going up 2 or 3 degrees an hour at 225.

Well, it's a bit easier on the egg, you don't have to add any wood, smoking chunks during the cook and I've got my meat probes and grill probe set up on a phone app, so It's not like I'm standing out there over top of it...unless I'm looking for an easy reason to set outside and drink and hangout, which I do.

I went to bed for almost 7hrs. 220 when I went to bed, 233/235 when I got up. Pretty consistent.

That's a long time for a couple pork butts. 4 LBS should take at absolute MAX 10 hours. Maybe 12 if you consider you have 2. Realistically 1.5 hours per lb is normal. That is a 7-8 hour start to finish cook.

ADVERTISEMENT