ADVERTISEMENT

Wiseman announcing decision Tuesday

lol what a terrible post..

hey you kids, i spend my money watching my team play. you better come to my team. we have traditions, the best traditions.

well teejay 11 , are you actually 11 ? one of these days you will grow up and realize the truth is sometimes terrible.

Wiseman's is way over rated. Another Skal. Oh wait, if he picks Kentucky then the greatest ever.

Lets look at the evidence:

October 24th Cal visits James Wiseman in Memphis for one last in home visit, right before James takes his official to Memphis.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...calipari-memphis-chings-hot-wings/1751513002/

18 days later reports start to leak out of Memphis that Memphis staff have started telling boosters that Wiseman to Memphis is all but done and a decision date will be announced soon.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main...mans-mother-says-sons-decision-not-finalized/

It could be that Cal told James during the visit that he needs to know his plans. And that if James is indeed going to Memphis, lets just agree to get it over with so that we dont lose out on others, waiting for nothing. The timing is important too. As Carey is announcing his final 3 later this week. Cal may have said if you're coming great, if not I understand, but we've been there with you all along, and lets just agree that its time for us to know.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/vernon-carey-to-announce-top-three-this-week/

Its no secret that Cal works with recruits, and even sometimes tells recruits to hold off and they agree on announcement dates.
It is not a coincidence that both of these announcements came at the same time.

So what could it mean?
1) Cal told James I need to know, either way, lets get it over with. If its Memphis, I understand, but announce so we have a shot with Carey's top 3. Carey wants to play with another big, and we have missed on some, so he may want to know before we he continues with us.
2) Kentucky basketball is off to a rough start, even down on attendance, recruiting has slowed too, so if its Kentucky, lets announce to build some momentum and get it going.
3) Carey has said he wants to play with another big man. So maybe he wants to know what Kentucky is bringing in, so he can decide whether or not to include us in the top 3 and continue with us. If its not Wiseman, and he knows that, we can pitch Hurt or someone else.

I think that Cal asked for his decision. James told him Memphis, which is why he suddenly decides its time to announce.
The only other thing it could be is that its Kentucky, and Cal said lets do it now because people are jumping off of cliffs with this start.

Id say that Memphis leaking to boosters says a lot. And that he will announce for them tomorrow, and Cal can move on. I dont know anything, just speculating like the rest of us. But We went from no info, to the leaks, and word that he was a done deal to Memphis and a decision was going to be announced soon. And sure enough, a decision date has been announced very soon (tomorrow).
I hope thats not it, but its pretty obvious with the turn around. And most likely the case.
Well thought out post. Thank you

Reactions: Tyblue22
well teejay 11 , are you actually 11 ? one of these days you will grow up and realize the truth is sometimes terrible.

and yes , we do have the best traditions , I recall listening to us Vs LSU in the 70s in my basement BR as a kid . I've got 40 years of enjoying our traditions and I respect them very much .

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I'm not angry at all...but why should I wish a kid well who's not playing for my team? I want what's best for my team, not some kid who chose to cast his lot w/ another program. What's best for my team is for any recruit who spurned us to have a less than stellar year at the program he threw us over for. Enough of those and the word may get out, "Turn Cal/UK down at your own peril"

Having said all that: I still haven't given up complete hope that he will be a cat.

edit: a Wildcat, that is...
I got your belief system the first time, I just can't understand it. You can want the best for your own team and players without wishing ill-will for other 17 year-old kids. And your myopic view of any ky player going elsewhere somehow having less than a stellar year will intimidate others is laughable.

Ky is a great basketball school and Call is a Hall of Fame coach. You should strive to be a great fan worthy of what your tradition hands you. Most are not so lucky. I could paraphrase Voltaire but I think you are too far gone.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Could not care less - bigs have no effect on the college game now days except blocked shots - game is about back court scorers and play makers- rather have Travis and PJ

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
AND make more money. (That is not a feeling, that is a proven fact...)

Does the number one or two draft pick make more money if they go to Kentucky rather than any other school? We've had a couple of those (yes I know Ky has had more) and it seems the NBA has pretty much set the standard contract for the number 1-2 picks which is where Wiseman is expected to go.

Does the number one or two draft pick make more money if they go to Kentucky rather than any other school? We've had a couple of those (yes I know Ky has had more) and it seems the NBA has pretty much set the standard contract for the number 1-2 picks which is where Wiseman is expected to go.

Your statement is very short-sighted. Yes, it does make an impact on that SECOND contract....Cal's players get that Max contract a lot, a whole lot. Other schools in comparison? Not so much... I think your coach that had them go number one or two (My memory fails me as I don't and never have followed memphis.) was in fact UK's current coach. Can Cal count that dough too? He could, but he doesn't....

October 24th Cal visits James Wiseman in Memphis for one last in home visit, right before James takes his official to Memphis.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...calipari-memphis-chings-hot-wings/1751513002/

18 days later reports start to leak out of Memphis that Memphis staff have started telling boosters that Wiseman to Memphis is all but done and a decision date will be announced soon.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main...mans-mother-says-sons-decision-not-finalized/

It could be that Cal told James during the visit that he needs to know his plans. And that if James is indeed going to Memphis, lets just agree to get it over with so that we dont lose out on others, waiting for nothing. The timing is important too. As Carey is announcing his final 3 later this week. Cal may have said if you're coming great, if not I understand, but we've been there with you all along, and lets just agree that its time for us to know.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/vernon-carey-to-announce-top-three-this-week/

Its no secret that Cal works with recruits, and even sometimes tells recruits to hold off and they agree on announcement dates.

So what could it mean?
1) Cal told James I need to know, either way, lets get it over with. If its Memphis, I understand, but announce so we have a shot with Carey's top 3. Carey wants to play with another big, and we have missed on some, so he may want to know before we he continues with us.
2) Kentucky basketball is off to a rough start, even down on attendance, recruiting has slowed too, so if its Kentucky, lets announce to build some momentum and get it going.
3) Carey has said he wants to play with another big man. So maybe he wants to know what Kentucky is bringing in, so he can decide whether or not to include us in the top 3 and continue with us. If its not Wiseman, and he knows that, we can pitch Hurt or someone else.

I think that Cal asked for his decision. James told him Memphis, which is why he suddenly decides its time to announce.
The only other thing it could be is that its Kentucky, and Cal said lets do it now because people are jumping off of cliffs with this start.

Id say that Memphis leaking to boosters says a lot. And that he will announce for them tomorrow, and Cal can move on. I don't know anything, just speculating like the rest of us. But We went from no info, to the leaks, and word that he was a done deal to Memphis and a decision was going to be announced soon. And sure enough, a decision date has been announced very soon (tomorrow).
I hope that's not it, but its pretty obvious with the turn around. And most likely the case.

Anybody that told anybody that Wiseman to Memphis was a done deal more than the last couple of days was blowing smoke and maybe still are. Up till now Hopefully has been used, maybe even likely but not a done deal. This family has played it close to the vest all along and even insider boosters have been nervous and openly uncertain. I think Cal and Penny now know for sure.

No doubt Cal pressured him but that did not phase him. He knows he has multiple good choices and if Cal decided to back off then than was Cals choice but I don't think Cal would close the door. He would just hedge his bet by ramping up one of other priorities.

We are still pitching Watford and Hurt. Hurt and Miller are tight. Both have said they would like to play with Wiseman.

All I know for sure is I sat in the presidents box at the game Saturday and nobody would admit knowing anything and Wiseman was not sitting in his regular seat at the game.

It's probably Memphis. Only thing that gives me pause is the thought that maybe Mom et. al. were pro UK and were ticked off about the "done deal" comments and decided to have him go ahead and commit to us now. Not likely I know.

Even if we do get Wiseman, which I doubt, who else are we going to have in the frontcourt? I know NR is not ready for the pros, but does anybody honestly think he comes back? I think the only one who MAY be back is Montgomery, but I think it's obviously very possible he doesn't. It's not unreasonable at all to think we may return no forwards or centers. So, again, even if we get JW, who else is out there that we may get? Carey and Stewart is all I can think of, but I don't follow recruiting that closely. That's why I'm asking.

Just read an article that if he signs with Kentucky,the Wildcats will vault into the number 1 ranking.Said if Memphis lands him,expect 1,2,or 3 5 star players to follow him.Said Memphis will become a major player in years to come
Memphis might lose 20 games this year, and won’t turn into a contender next season. If he goes there it will be a complete waste of his talent at the college level.
T

I am still saying it will be UK. JMO. But if I am wrong it won't the be the 1st time. We will know soon.

I got your belief system the first time, I just can't understand it. You can want the best for your own team and players without wishing ill-will for other 17 year-old kids. And your myopic view of any ky player going elsewhere somehow having less than a stellar year will intimidate others is laughable.

Ky is a great basketball school and Call is a Hall of Fame coach. You should strive to be a great fan worthy of what your tradition hands you. Most are not so lucky. I could paraphrase Voltaire but I think you are too far gone.
Oh, please do paraphrase Voltaire! I'm always up for a little enlightenment from a pseudo intellectual masquerading as a message board (sports, no less) philosopher. Maybe you can teach me to be the type of fan you could be proud of?

Your statement is very short-sighted. Yes, it does make an impact on that SECOND contract....Cal's players get that Max contract a lot, a whole lot. Other schools in comparison? Not so much... I think your coach that had them go number one or two (My memory fails me as I don't and never have followed memphis.) was in fact UK's current coach. Can Cal count that dough too? He could, but he doesn't....

Yes, Kentucky hated Cal while he was at Memphis until he was stolen away and then he became most loved just like he was damaged goods when he came to us doubted, loved, then not liked so much. Buyers market and Kentucky could out bid us and offered some things we could not.

True on the second max but that's the contract they earned on the floor. Ky under Cal recruits at a very high level and top 10 draft picks generally play really well in college and the NBA. That's talent not the school they came from. Frankly, I don't think any coach can claim too much credit for a guy that comes to you as the top high school kid and gets picked at the number one draft pick after one year.

Before Cal when was the last top daft pick from UK? I'm thinking never but could be wrong. Cal recruited Rose to Memphis and had Wall here also until leaving in the dead of night. So that sounds more like Cal than Ky.

Not provable but interesting discussion. Good luck to you. Maybe we will get the indy game set up in Nashville next year. That would be fun.

Yay! We will get to see Coach Cal miss on yet another top 5 recruit like he always has the past few years.

Oh, please do paraphrase Voltaire! I'm always up for a little enlightenment from a pseudo intellectual masquerading as a message board (sports, no less) philosopher. Maybe you can teach me to be the type of fan you could be proud of?

OK To great power comes great responsibility. Voltaire and in Spiderman.

Ok. I'm out. Have fun.

So what could it mean?

Id say that Memphis leaking to boosters says a lot. And that he will announce for them tomorrow, and Cal can move on. I dont know anything, just speculating like the rest of us. But We went from no info, to the leaks, and word that he was a done deal to Memphis and a decision was going to be announced soon. And sure enough, a decision date has been announced very soon (tomorrow).
I hope thats not it, but its pretty obvious with the turn around. And most likely the case.
This has to be one of the stupidest theories that I have ever heard and it doesn't surprise me coming from a guy who GUARANTEE D everyone that Wiggins was going to choose UK. A highschool basketball player isn't going to let a college basketball coach of team that he isn't even going to pick decide when he's going to announce his college choice.

Just read an article that if he signs with Kentucky,the Wildcats will vault into the number 1 ranking.Said if Memphis lands him,expect 1,2,or 3 5 star players to follow him.Said Memphis will become a major player in years to come

The onion?

Reactions: lmhurst
Yes, Kentucky hated Cal while he was at Memphis until he was stolen away and then he became most loved just like he was damaged goods when he came to us doubted, loved, then not liked so much. Buyers market and Kentucky could out bid us and offered some things we could not.

True on the second max but that's the contract they earned on the floor. Ky under Cal recruits at a very high level and top 10 draft picks generally play really well in college and the NBA. That's talent not the school they came from. Frankly, I don't think any coach can claim too much credit for a guy that comes to you as the top high school kid and gets picked at the number one draft pick after one year.

Before Cal when was the last top daft pick from UK? I'm thinking never but could be wrong. Cal recruited Rose to Memphis and had Wall here also until leaving in the dead of night. So that sounds more like Cal than Ky.

Not provable but interesting discussion. Good luck to you. Maybe we will get the indy game set up in Nashville next year. That would be fun.

You’re ignorant. I don’t know any UK fam who has ever hated Cal. He’s always recieved tins of respect from us bc of the battles between the cats and UMASS. Memphis fans are the ones with the hatred and vengence. Quickly they are becoming the new dilusional fan base right there with arky

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Could not care less - bigs have no effect on the college game now days except blocked shots - game is about back court scorers and play makers- rather have Travis and PJ
Bigs at UK clog the lane, mess up spacing, and never get fed the ball in the post.

You’re ignorant. I don’t know any UK fam who has ever hated Cal. He’s always recieved tins of respect from us bc of the battles between the cats and UMASS. Memphis fans are the ones with the hatred and vengence. Quickly they are becoming the new dilusional fan base right there with arky

Thank you for those kind words. I remember differently. After UMASS had to return the final four appearance and after his time in the NBA he was damaged goods. Upon coming to Memphis there was an element of the Ky fan-base that drummed him. Hey maybe it was more us than him but it was there...a lot like what is being tossed out in this tread. Most Ky fans are great people and easy to get along with. And yes we had outspoken fans also.

The hope now needs to be McDaniels and a reclassification from Dante.

With Maxey and one of our PGs from this year back, plus Herro, plus Whitney, and maybe a guy like Walker or another surprise and then a guy like Allen for depth in year one, we can be as good as anyone.

Most of the country is going to lose a ton, and so far there's no one putting together a monster recruiting haul. A lot has to shake out before it's time to be worried.

I would like McDaniels as well, but I think Cal waited too long. He should have offered the kid when he was mentioning UK as his dream school, not months later.

Your eyes must have fallen out of your head. It’s the only possible explanation.
Nah, I dont sugarcoat things and call them like it is. We post up 2 bigs, when our guards beat their man off the dribble they meet a cluster of defenders. That's why our offense is so bad.

Thank you for those kind words. I remember differently. After UMASS had to return the final four appearance and after his time in the NBA he was damaged goods. Upon coming to Memphis there was an element of the Ky fan-base that drummed him. Hey maybe it was more us than him but it was there...a lot like what is being tossed out in this tread. Most Ky fans are great people and easy to get along with. And yes we had outspoken fans also.

Memphis has no real fan base and those who come over here to tell us what uk fans think or ever thought about cal have serious insecurities. Little man or lil penny syndrome

Nah, I dont sugarcoat things and call them like it is. We post up 2 bigs, when our guards beat their man off the dribble they meet a cluster of defenders. That's why our offense is so bad.
IDGAF what you think about the quality of the offense. But if you think we don’t feed the post you aren’t watching the games.

Reactions: MbergCat
Look, getting Wiseman would be great, but let's be real bigs don't dominate in college now, especially as freshman. By all accounts Wiseman has been fading a little anyway, I have said all along I would rather have Carey for one year of college. Now if we strike out on everybody then Cal must get the best available grad transfer again.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Not sweating losing Wiseman.

He always seemed like another Andre Riddick.

I do think it is weird that it looks like UK is going to strike out on all these big guys and we literally have all the playing time in the world available next year.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT