ADVERTISEMENT

Wiseman announcing decision Tuesday

Probably bad news, but there's nothing more we could have done on this one. Justus established the groundwork years ago. He flew all over the world watching Wiseman play. He grew up a UK fan, he idolized Anthony Davis--it just checked all the boxes.

Basically the one thing that could have taken him from us happened. And at least he'll be at Memphis and not somewhere that it matters.

Probably bad news, but there's nothing more we could have done on this one. Justus established the groundwork years ago. He flew all over the world watching Wiseman play. He grew up a UK fan, he idolized Anthony Davis--it just checked all the boxes.

Basically the one thing that could have taken him from us happened. And at least he'll be at Memphis and not somewhere that it matters.
yep. No blame to hand out here. This is the game.

GP

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Memphis might lose 20 games this year, and won’t turn into a contender next season. If he goes there it will be a complete waste of his talent at the college level.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Memphis might lose 20 games this year, and won’t turn into a contender next season. If he goes there it will be a complete waste of his talent at the college level.

He may not care. Honestly, that may be the reasoning...

I was reading an article the other day about a study on internet trolls - who they are and why they do what they do.

One of the sad takeaways is that even though trolls do what they do specifically to cause pain/discomfort to others, trolling actually makes the trolls more miserable. Something mods may want to consider. Banning trolls is actually an act of mercy.

You might think there's two things of importance to a highly rated recruit like Wiseman as he picks a school. One, how successful will that school be in his one season in terms of wins, losses and post-season success. And two, how much will he be developed in his one season for his professional career.

But I suspect that's how fans imagine the thinking goes. If you're Wiseman, how much do you care about wins and losses? Some of them will, but some of them won't. The other thing is probably more important. How are you preparing me for the NBA, and what impact will you have on my draft position? That's probably the focus....

I was reading an article the other day about a study on internet trolls - who they are and why they do what they do.

One of the sad takeaways is that even though trolls do what they do specifically to cause pain/discomfort to others, trolling actually makes the trolls more miserable. Something mods may want to consider. Banning trolls is actually an act of mercy.
outstanding.

It’s gonna be Memphis.....no way he plays his senior season in Memphis and announces he’s leaving the city.

If Cal strikes out on the elite players he’s gonna have to restructure his philosophy.

A lot of these guys who pick crap programs don’t care about winning in college.

This. You think Mo Bamba is sorry he picked Texas over us? He’s raking in the money in Orlando, he probably doesn’t care about winning there either.

Wiseman chooses Memphis, they lose a lot

He goes pro to somewhere like Charlotte, they lose a lot

He becomes very rich

This. You think Mo Bamba is sorry he picked Texas over us? He’s raking in the money in Orlando, he probably doesn’t care about winning there either.

He becomes very rich
Also Bamba is getting that building over at the University of Texas named after him.

Reactions: Mr_GG and Aike
Looks like Cal is not going to land a top 3 player again for 2019. I hope he can prove me wrong this year, but I simply don’t think Cal can get us back to a Championship unless he has the elite of the elite in each class. His system (which has been replicated and exposed) simply doesn’t look like it can work unless he has that special elite top 2-3 NBA draft pick talent. It would be amazing if Wisemsn surprises us all and comes to LEX!

F wishing him well...if he chooses memphis st. I hope he loses every game he plays as a collegian, goes undrafted and ends up playing professionally in the same cut rate, 3rd world league that perma-banned the ball brothers.

I do not wish him well, I will not hold his choice against him. He can do what he wants. He just did it a LOT different than Ole Zion and his Daddy did it...

I used to bathe in that guys tears...now I just feel sorry for him.

Reactions: Aike
Looks like Cal is not going to land a top 3 player again for 2019. I hope he can prove me wrong this year, but I simply don’t think Cal can get us back to a Championship unless he has the elite of the elite in each class. His system (which has been replicated and exposed) simply doesn’t look like it can work unless he has that special elite top 2-3 NBA draft pick talent. It would be amazing if Wisemsn surprises us all and comes to LEX!
This is a bit unusual. 15 year account and this is your 1st post?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Excellent. GP, very GP. Help "da brudders" out...

Reactions: Aike
You’re just not going to convince kids they need to go to UK to be developed when Ben Simmons can go to LSU and go #1.

Ayton went to Arizona.

Damian Lillard can go to Weber State and become a star.

The “But Cal will develop you better” narrative doesn’t resonate.

I really don't know what some of our spoiled fans are gonna do when Cal is gone.

We are gonna be back to praying for a top 10 class. ... With him we are either 1 or 2. But now 2 isn't good enough . We have to get the best class and player every year or it's somehow a failure to some of our fans.

Y'all are in for a rude awakening. Perspective is lost on many.

Oh and BTW, probably Memphis, but kid hasn't announced yet lol

No way he makes an early decision for UK.

Playing his HS ball in Memphis? No.

Spring decision was better for our chances.

Don't discount what a man, even a young man will do. UK has had several players pick UK and take tons of flack from their local communities/fans that could be thrown on them. A man will do what he thinks is best and right, damn the consequences. Ask Ole Tyler, who I think is the most recent... Monk too?

Last edited:
You’re just not going to convince kids they need to go to UK to be developed when Ben Simmons can go to LSU and go #1.

Ayton went to Arizona.

It resonates very well with certain guys but not guys who have been considered NBA lottery locks for 3 or 4 years.

Ayton went to Arizona.

The dickens you say? It DOES resonate, just not to all of the players some fans think it should to the tune of pushing toward two BILLION dollars.

He becomes very rich

And that my friends is one reason sports in general is on the downslide . People will continue to give their time , money and effort for a good product , a loyal product , a product they feel connected to . Does that describe our program right now ? Honestly I dont know . So many seem eager for the pro's and dont give a shit about our traditions and the expectations of the fans . But that topic has been beat to death here .

Plan B would be Carey, which isn't likely
Plan C would be Stewart, which isn't likely
Plan D was Oscar, which didn't happen

there are no other centers left in this class, only possible hope is a reclass by someone

or sign Brooks & McDaniels & another "good" shooting guard & play small next year & press all over

Reactions: Dirk2Bowie
I think he winds up at Memphis, but that shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.

This kid was a lock for UK until Memphis did the only thing they could do to flip the script, they hired his AAU and HS Coach who is also his mentor. Make no mistake, Memphis hired Hardaway in large part because of James Wiseman. They were not going to let this kid leave the city. Especially considering that meant him going to UK, the program that uprooted their dynasty. They are banking on this kid choosing Memphis and that it will lead to the Cal-effect.

Cal comes to UK, showcases John Wall, and now every point guard in HS wants to follow in his footsteps. The dominos fell, and a recruiting dynasty began. They are hoping Wiseman brings that to Memphis.

Cal should get no blame for Wiseman. When a university is desperate enough to hire an unproven AAU / HS coach to lead their program, you can't do a thing about it short of buying his the kid's parents a mansion. Cal won't stoop to that level.

I'll say this, he certainly wouldn't be the first player to upset the local community.

Monk went through hell for not picking Arkansas, where his brother played football.
Tyler Herro went through hell for de-committing from Wisconsin.

Didn't Poythress catch some crap for leaving the state of Tennessee? I know Vandy wanted him bad.

ADVERTISEMENT