ADVERTISEMENT

Wiseman announcing decision Tuesday

Might be a case of the Nike machine telling Cal directly or indirectly, "K's going out with a title whether you like it or not because K going out with a title helps our brand. In time, we'll put you back on the mantel, but it's K's time now."

Might be why Cal has kept a low profile about losing elites to Duke and why he's expressed a desire to coach into his 70s. Perhaps he knows the cycle will trend back to UK in a few years.

A reach but who knows anymore. Can't fully discount it...

Reactions: JC43
Might be a case of the Nike machine telling Cal directly or indirectly, "K's going out with a title whether you like it or not because K going out with a title helps our brand. In time, we'll put you back on the mantel, but it's K's time now."

Might be why Cal has kept a low profile about losing elites to Duke and why he's expressed a desire to coach into his 70s. Perhaps he knows the cycle will trend back to UK in a few years.

I can’t imagine being delusional enough to think this is true

I know it is unlikely, but the board will do a 180 on attitude if we actually get Wiseman. By the way, that is ridiculous. One or even a few recruits do not completely change the outlook on Cal and our program. Cal is doing a phenominal job. When Coach K croaks we should rule college basketball.

Wes has a lot of friends. Always did.

Yes...Wes is a good friend of Coach K & Tom Izzo also. Never understood why that was never mentioned back in the day that everyone said his friendship with Cal meant Cal was automatically crooked. If that were the case then name the other guys also. It just shows the bias of sports media.

I can’t imagine being delusional enough to think this is true

Actually, it may not be that far from the truth. Even folks around the program at Duke do not deny Nike's help. Nothing illegal of course, but using their influence in a big way. Now I will say the Bagley stuff does stink & was illegal.

I’ve drawn two different analogies that I think are apt.

One is a Sopranos analogy. Tony was the king of Jersey. Sometimes he would come up with a good scam and keep it all to himself for a while. But once New York caught wind of it, he had to give up a piece. There was a pecking order and there was nothing he could do about it.

The other is political. Bill Clinton rose all the way to the top, but somebody (multiple somebodies) got him there. Most thought Hillary as the Dem nominee was a foregone conclusion in 2008, but all of the sudden the money and the power swooped in and solidified behind Barrack Obama. Hillary was toast.

As big a deal as the Clintons had become, they needed to be reminded that someone was bigger. That someone could still pick the winners and losers. The Clintons didn’t lose all of their power, but they got taken down a notch.

I’ve drawn two different analogies that I think are apt.

One is a Sopranos analogy. Tony was the king of Jersey. Sometimes he would come up with a good scam and keep it all to himself for a while. But once New York caught wind of it, he had to give up a piece. There was a pecking order and there was nothing he could do about it.

The other is political. Bill Clinton rose all the way to the top, but somebody (multiple somebodies) got him there. Most thought Hillary as the Dem nominee was a foregone conclusion in 2008, but all of the sudden the money and the power swooped in and solidified behind Barrack Obama. Hillary was toast.

As big a deal as the Clintons had become, they needed to be reminded that someone was bigger. That someone could still pick the winners and losers. The Clintons didn’t lose all of their power, but they got taken down a notch.

Then the Donald said F the world with a Make America Great condom.

And took them all down.

:)

wk3rc.jpg

Reactions: JC43
Not saying this is true, but definitely something I can agree with. Something is off with the Cal/Nike camp. UK not playing in the PK80 last year proved it.
I admittedly know zero about the inner workings of UK recruiting, but my thinking, partially backed up by the FBI findings, is that the shoe companies have had a huge effect on the upper elite guys the past several years. And it’s definitely been rumored that there has been a UK/Nike cooling, with Duke being the main beneficiary.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
I know it's the Penny situation, etc...and it's not the same as a guy just picking another school.

But, this still sucks big time. He was a dude who everyone on the planet KNEW was coming to UK.

To watch him go elsewhere (regardless of the reason) is still a bit of a gut shot. He was the #1 ranked player, plays a position we desperately need, would have ended the streak of Cal missing on top guys, etc... Tough to swallow, IMO.

I know it's the Penny situation, etc...and it's not the same as a guy just picking another school.

But, this still sucks big time. He was a dude who everyone on the planet KNEW was coming to UK.

To watch him go elsewhere (regardless of the reason) is still a bit of a gut shot. He was the #1 ranked player, plays a position we desperately need, would have ended the streak of Cal missing on top guys, etc... Tough to swallow, IMO.
It does stink, but like someone said on here the other day...........be thankful you are a fan of a program that doesn’t have to risk hiring a high school coach with zero college experience as the head of your program, just to secure a recruit.

Thank you for those kind words. I remember differently. After UMASS had to return the final four appearance and after his time in the NBA he was damaged goods. Upon coming to Memphis there was an element of the Ky fan-base that drummed him. Hey maybe it was more us than him but it was there...a lot like what is being tossed out in this tread. Most Ky fans are great people and easy to get along with. And yes we had outspoken fans also.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I always liked Memphis, for a very simple reason. Because Louisville fans hated Memphis. And I suspect there are a lot of UK fans like me. I remember one year you guys jumping out to a 24-0 lead AT Louisville (basketball, not football). My friend and I were going crazy watching it. I always assumed Cal was dirty but I assumed 90 percent of the sport was dirty so I didn't look down on him over it. I just figured you gotta do what you gotta do to compete with Duke and UNC, who got free two hour infomercials every time Vitale did a game.

Code:
https://youtu.be/GrPDJQOZ0yY

IN the podcast, Jerry answers the question if the match and show was staged. They were great friends!

Why did Memphis and Louisville share that wrestling? Went to many a match down at the Louisville Gardens and I remember watching all that stuff that happened in the movie live when it happened.

Haha. That’s Cal being magnanimous. What’s he going to say? “No way. Never.”

Show me in there where it says anything about suggesting Nashville. And you’re buddy was acting like there was some kind of negotiation.

“Cal says Nashville...Penny says home and home THEN Nashville.”

Hilarious. Penny would crawl over broken glass to Nashville to play Kentucky if Cal really offered.

Nashville was a different conversation.

I have no opinions on Wiseman. If Wiseman isn't a program changer, then he's just a another replaceable piece in the rotation and we'll land someone else.

Penny is interesting. The idea that Memphis can become a major player in recruiting certainly is possible. It wasn't that long ago when we were looking at Cal in Memphis courting Wall and Cousins while BCG was recruiting an 8th grader

I hope that Penny is a flash in the pan during his time at Memphis and after all his AAU connections dry up, he's at Tubby Smith level recruiting for Memphis.
He is already recruiting beyond his AAU contacts. Nothing is certain or guaranteed but I thought Tubby was a terrible fit and I think Penny is perfect for a successful, long-term run.

I think most fans here would agree with you on Tubby. We saw it first hand. I think he’s good at getting a program to a certain level. But looking at his career there’s a clear ceiling.

You just gotta hope penny can actually coach at this level. He put together a heck of a staff. But he himself is still an unknown.

I will say I don’t blame Wiseman one bit for sticking with the guy that got him there. I still don’t see that being as safe a bet as a guy that’s put a big man in the lottery of nearly every draft for the last 10 years but I think there’s a reasonable argument for it.

Carey preferring duke over us when nearly every elite big man they’ve had over the last 20 years has underachieved is actually more baffling to me. But after the Bagley and Zion stuff surfaced the reasoning for that is becoming more clear as well.

ADVERTISEMENT