ADVERTISEMENT

Wiseman announcing decision Tuesday

UK will never play Memphis unless it's in the NCAA tourney.

Calipari would rather take a dump on their gym floor than play them, as it would actually be an act that acted as an upgrade to the chronic stench in Memphis.

I have no opinions on Wiseman. If Wiseman isn't a program changer, then he's just a another replaceable piece in the rotation and we'll land someone else.

Penny is interesting. The idea that Memphis can become a major player in recruiting certainly is possible. It wasn't that long ago when we were looking at Cal in Memphis courting Wall and Cousins while BCG was recruiting an 8th grader

I hope that Penny is a flash in the pan during his time at Memphis and after all his AAU connections dry up, he's at Tubby Smith level recruiting for Memphis.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Everyone is panicking over Wiseman but we will be set at PG with at least 1 of Quickly Green or Hagans back plus Maxey coming in. Herro will be the SG with Maxey seeing a lot of minutes there too. Whitney will own the SF position with Herro getting spot minutes when they go small. There's a small chance that EJ returns and I think we get 1 of Brooks or McDaniels at the 4. The 5 spot can't go anywhere but up with what we're seeing in Richards so a decent serviceable big man would be an improvement. Somehow if we get Carey or Stewart (which seems doubtful) then that's a great team. Plus there's always a guy that burst onto the scene late that we probably haven't even heard of yet.

Here's the deal! No one knows if he will be an AD type player or a Skal or Marcus Bolden type. Remember how thrilled we were that we got Skal and how disappointed we were to lose Bolden?

We are UK and will be fine with or without him. He may choose UK and be great or may disappoint. Can do the same at Memphis.

We already have two top 10 recruits committed for next year.

We will be fine!

Let's stand behind our coach and the players that want to be here.

It's very possible that if we strike out on all bigs we still get Richard's & Montgomery to return. Not likely but possible one or both.

Yes, I know season is early & things can change for players as season progresses

Here's the deal! No one knows if he will be an AD type player or a Skal or Marcus Bolden type. Remember how thrilled we were that we got Skal and how disappointed we were to lose Bolden?

We are UK and will be fine with or without him. He may choose UK and be great or may disappoint. Can do the same at Memphis.

We already have two top 10 recruits committed for next year.

We will be fine!

Let's stand behind our coach and the players that want to be here.

One player can be the difference between a Final Four appearance and a 2nd round loss.

Would the '92/'93 Cat have been "fine" without Mashburn? How would the '15 Cat have fared without Towns?

"Fine" is a pretty relative word right up unto the moment UK loses to UConn in '11 in a game where Kanter playing would have been the difference between a 1 point loss in the Final Four or a national title.

No, UK will not be fine if we lose on Wiseman, unless by "fine" you mean bow out a few rounds early from the NCAA tournament as a result of now having him.

Reactions: DeepColor
The only thing this will do is burn Cals ass hearing and reading all this talk about how he has slipped in recruiting( which he hasn't) so that now again he will want to go out and prove them wrong once again. Zion commits to Duke we get Maxey,Whitney and Allen. Cal will find someone that wants to be here and that's a damn fine player.

One player can be the difference between a Final Four appearance and a 2nd round loss.

Would the '92/'93 Cat have been "fine" without Mashburn? How would the '15 Cat have fared without Towns?

"Fine" is a pretty relative word right up unto the moment UK loses to UConn in '11 in a game where Kanter playing would have been the difference between a 1 point loss in the Final Four or a national title.

No, UK will not be fine if we lose on Wiseman, unless by "fine" you mean bow out a few rounds early from the NCAA tournament as a result of now having him.
He hasn't played a college game yet. No way to know if he's closer to Skal or AD.

How did Duke fair with Carter and Bagley last year?
How about Arizona and Ayton?

How many championships did Houston win with Hakeem in college?

This one player isn't going to ruin us for next season.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
It's very possible that if we strike out on all bigs we still get Richard's & Montgomery to return. Not likely but possible one or both.

Yes, I know season is early & things can change for players as season progresses

Going to need more than that next year.

Really need at least 1 talented big in this class.

He hasn't played a college game yet. No way to know if he's closer to Skal or AD.

How did Duke fair with Carter and Bagley last year?
How about Arizona and Ayton?

How many championships did Houston win with Hakeem in college?

This one player isn't going to ruin us for next season.

Duke was a missed shot away from the Final Four. People cite UNC's buzzer beater as a measurement for UK "almost making it" in 2017. Why not Duke's missed shot? Bagley and Carters impact was worthless last year apparently, while Fox and Monk "almost" broke through to the Final Four?

Additionally, Houston almost won a national title with the Dream. That's a bad example, unless titles is your only measurement for success. On that note, you seem to think "being fine" constitutes being good, but not necessarily winning the whole thing regarding UK; but it means not winning a title for everyone else?

Let's establish what you mean by "fine" first.

If we have Maxey, Herro and Whitney and hopefully McDaniels that is as good as it gets next year. Duke basically has has no
Center this year. If Richards comes back we are as good as anybody!

If we have Maxey, Herro and Whitney and hopefully McDaniels that is as good as it gets next year. Duke basically has has no
Center this year. If Richards comes back we are as good as anybody!

It would be nice to actually land a full positional array of targets instead of having to hope that guys like Herro and others break precedent and come back for another year.

The precedent, by the way, is leaving at the first sign of draftability. We mostly haven't had kids choose retention unless injury or some an anomaly like Terrence Jones occurs. That gets tiring when you see that the majority of those leaving are filling the back ends of NBA rosters or the front ends of G-league rosters.

If you are a Memphis fan and you read that as cal welcoming or even “leaving the door open” then you don’t know cal. You think cal is gonna say “nah we aren’t gonna play them”? You tiger fans need to take your hardon to play Kentucky and go see if you can land UNCheat first.
I'm not arguing the point. I don't think Cal will play us anywhere. But somebody acted like it had never been mentioned in public, and it has, so I simply provided the link. Nothing more or less.

Duke was a missed shot away from the Final Four. People cite UNC's buzzer beater as a measurement for UK "almost making it" in 2017. Why not Duke's missed shot? Bagley and Carters impact was worthless last year apparently, while Fox and Monk "almost" broke through to the Final Four?

Additionally, Houston almost won a national title with the Dream. That's a bad example, unless titles is your only measurement for success. On that note, you seem to think "being fine" constitutes being good, but not necessarily winning the whole thing regarding UK; but it means not winning a title for everyone else?

Let's establish what you mean by "fine" first.

By fine I think we will be a Final Four contender next year with or without Wiseman!

I do not think Memphis will be fine with or without Wiseman! I do not see them as a Final Four contender either way!

UK will be playing after Memphis is sent home from the tourney next season no matter how this announcement plays out.

UK will be fine!

At least he seems to be announcing early in the day. Probably has to get back to cash, I mean class..:rolleyes: jk jk

By fine I think we will be a Final Four contender next year with or without Wiseman!

I do not think Memphis will be fine with or without Wiseman! I do not see them as a Final Four contender either way!

UK will be playing after Memphis is sent home from the tourney next season no matter how this announcement plays out.

UK will be fine!

I hope you're right. I've just seen too many years where a missing piece has cost us. One player does make a different.

UK likely wins it all in 1997 with a healthy Anderson; same for 2010 with Meek; 2011 with Kanter; 2015 with Stantley Johnson (or Poythress); and 2017 with Miles Bridges (or Jonathan Issac).

I just can't buy stock in the idea that losing on a top 5 draft pick, particularly at a position of need, is inconsequential UK's potential success.

It would be nice to actually land a full positional array of targets instead of having to hope that guys like Herro and others break precedent and come back for another year.

The precedent, by the way, is leaving at the first sign of draftability. We mostly haven't had kids choose retention unless injury or some an anomaly like Terrence Jones occurs. That gets tiring when you see that the majority of those leaving are filling the back ends of NBA rosters or the front ends of G-league rosters.
I would be really surprised if Herro left after one year.

I would be really surprised if Herro left after one year.

In mid-November of their respective freshmen seasons, people said the same things about guys like Orton, Bledsoe, Booker, SGA, etc.

One thing I've learned, the moment there's even a hint of NBA daylight, almost all of these guys are gone. There's few exceptions.

At least he seems to be announcing early in the day. Probably has to get back to cash, I mean class..:rolleyes: jk jk
cash_for_class_logo_150.jpg
:eyes:

I hope you're right. I've just seen too many years where a missing piece has cost us. One player does make a different.

UK likely wins it all in 1997 with a healthy Anderson; same for 2010 with Meek; 2011 with Kanter; 2015 with Stantley Johnson (or Poythress); and 2017 with Miles Bridges (or Jonathan Issac).

I just can't buy stock in the idea that losing on a top 5 draft pick, particularly at a position of need, is inconsequential UK's potential success.

I understand your concerns. They are legitimate reason for concern.

I think we need to switch up assistant coaches. Penny has former NBA coach of the year Sam Mitchell and Mike Miller who had a long NBA career. The top recruits only care about the next level and a NC in college would just be icing on the cake!

I think Penny and his assistants probably relate better to these kids than the assistants we have. Cal can relate to anyone, he is a trendsetter. But he needs to upgrade his assistants to his level and recruiting will get back to landing top 5 again!

Caller to KSR a few mins ago said that there is some kind of Memphis area event game tonight and Wiseman and Jeffries are playing. Pretty much seals the deal.

I'm not arguing the point. I don't think Cal will play us anywhere. But somebody acted like it had never been mentioned in public, and it has, so I simply provided the link. Nothing more or less.

No one “acted like it had never been mentioned in public.”

Someone (me) questioned the validity of your Memphis buddy’s statement that Cal had suggested playing in Nashville.

Then your buddy got smart about it, he doesn’t work for me, etc.

I’m probably just old fashioned, but it seems to me that if you are going to visit a rival board and quote their team’s coach, you should at least get the quote right. Not sure why anyone would expect to be treated well when coming to a rival board and making stuff up about their team/coach.

I mean, thanks for trying, I guess. If there’s actually a quote of Cal saying he would play Memphis in Nashville, I’d love to see it.

Reactions: BBUK
Not UK's fault.

Putting all their eggs in one basket made sense.

It was never clear that Tubby was getting canned and that Penny was the logical choice.

The staff did the right thing by not recruiting Stewart until the fall, not recruiting Oscar until the early summer, and making Carey - a Duke lean - their #2 big man target behind Wiseman.

There's no way the staff could have seen Tubby was getting canned. Allowing Penny to accompany Wiseman on recruiting visits was totally the sensible thing to do. Tubby looked like he was locked-in at Memphis for at least five more years.

Also, not bringing in Penny last year as an assistant makes sense too. Why have foresight when you can wait, especially when foresight means you might have to part with a trusted assistant and proven recruiter like Barbee? Being ahead of the game isn't what UK does. We move the needle. The needle doesn't move us.

This is just one of those things that happens.

Not UK's fault.

Putting all their eggs in one basket made sense.

It was never clear that Tubby was getting canned and that Penny was the logical choice.

The staff did the right thing by not recruiting Stewart until the fall, not recruiting Oscar until the early summer, and making Carey - a Duke lean - their #2 big man target behind Wiseman.

There's no way the staff could have seen Tubby was getting canned. Allowing Penny to accompany Wiseman on recruiting visits was totally the sensible thing to do. Tubby looked like he was locked-in at Memphis for at least five more years.

Also, not bringing in Penny last year as an assistant makes sense too. Why have foresight when you can wait, especially when foresight means you might have to part with a trusted assistant and proven recruiter like Barbee? Being ahead of the game isn't what UK does. We move the needle.

This is just one of those things that happens.

How do you think that would have gone over with Wiseman, restricting his coach from attending the visit? No offense, but I’ve always found that line of reasoning absurd.

How do you think that would have gone over with Wiseman, restricting his coach from attending the visit? No offense, but I’ve always found that line of reasoning absurd.

I think that is what was stated. No way to foresee it an issue or maybe Cal would have at least held a little back in his pitch to the Wiseman's. Cal can ad-lib very well and may have taken Penny as one of those honorable types. Most people, (No matter how bad people look in the media) are honorable. jmuo

Reactions: Aike
Sucks losing all these top 5 kids anymore.

When Wiseman picks Sewage Plant University in a few hours, it will make the 13th time that a top 5 kid has rejected a UK offer since 2015.

The only kid who said yes was Skal. That's a 1/14 rate, or 7.1%.

For those keeping score on the "top 10" in that span: 8/29 or 28%. This does count Murray and Diallo.

We are 7/15 on top 6-10 guys, which isn't bad, and has helped keep UK's head above water competitively during that span.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFCats22
When Wiseman picks Sewage Plant University in a few hours, it will make the 13th time that a top 5 kid has rejected UK offer since 2015.

The only kid who said yes was Skal. That's a 1/14 rate, or 7.1%.

For those keeping score on the "top 10" in that span: 8/29 or 28%. This does count Murray and Diallo.

We are 7/15 on top 6-10 guys, which isn't bad, and has helped keep UK's head above water competitively during that span.

This is true but those top 5 guys are the only way we can be a Final Four caliber team with the way the program is currently set up.

ADVERTISEMENT