ADVERTISEMENT

Wiseman announcing decision Tuesday

The hope now needs to be McDaniels and a reclassification from Dante.

With Maxey and one of our PGs from this year back, plus Herro, plus Whitney, and maybe a guy like Walker or another surprise and then a guy like Allen for depth in year one, we can be as good as anyone.

Most of the country is going to lose a ton, and so far there's no one putting together a monster recruiting haul. A lot has to shake out before it's time to be worried.
Dante is only 6 months younger than Wiseman/Carey so he wouldn't be behind age-wise. Who knows if he can reclassify or even if he wants to. But That certainly would be a nice way to console the fanbase.

Dante is only 6 months younger than Wiseman/Carey so he wouldn't be behind age-wise. Who knows if he can reclassify or even if he wants to. But That certainly would be a nice way to console the fanbase.

There's been some chatter about it online for a few months now. I'm not even sure that we lead for him or where that recruitment battle against KU stands, but we could use him, the minutes would be there, and he's an age candidate for sure.

We might also still have hopes for Matthew Hurt.

@GonzoCat90 that's a good point. Which program feels GREAT about their recruiting class for next year? There's no monster haul. UNC, Duke and Kansas should all be far more on edge than us. We have two top10 recruits. We could not get another recruit and we'd still be looking alright (albeit thin on the front court)/

Reactions: mj2k10
Take your blinders off and open your eyes.

Well, i mean he’s right... as I said a couple days ago when you were menstruating all over the football board , just check your post history ...? Literally 95%+ of your posts are sarcastic, bashing, negative doom and gloom for all things Kentucky sports related.

Proof is in the pudding

@GonzoCat90 that's a good point. Which program feels GREAT about their recruiting class for next year? There's no monster haul. UNC, Duke and Kansas should all be far more on edge than us. We have two top10 recruits. We could not get another recruit and we'd still be looking alright (albeit thin on the front court)/

I think too often we get tunnel vision on our own team.

But look at what Kansas will be losing (Lawson, Azubuike, Grimes, Vick) and what they're bringing in (maybe Hurt, but no other difference maker and missed on JRE and others)

or what Carolina is losing (Maye, Johnson, Little, Williams) and what they're bringing in (maybe Cole Anthony, Bacot, maybe Nnaji),

or what Duke is losing (Barrett, Zion, Reddish), what they're left with (Jones, Baker, Bolden, Goldwire, DeLaurier) and what they're bringing in (likely Carey or Stewart, Moore, Boogie Ellis)

none of those teams stands to be better than they are this year. A team like Sparty might bring back Ward and Langford and Winston and add Carey, but people praise what they're returning and the top recruit they land nearly every year and it doesn't materialize despite the Izzo worship here.

We don't have to beat perfection. We just have to be the best team. If we bring back a group of Quade/Hagans, Herro, Baker, Richards and add two top 10 recruits plus a guy like McDaniels and one more big, that's as likely to cut them down as anyone else.

I was wrongfully bashing Cal a week ago. I was stinging from the Puke loss!

Now that I’ve gathered myself I’m standing by Cal. People think Cal is falling behind and is trending down.

Cal is always ahead and others copy! If Cal doesn’t end up with a top 5 recruit this year it is because he knows the FBI is watching the schools still paying players!

You don’t have Cals track record with putting guys into the NBA and keep striking out on top 5 talent unless there is more to it.

Cal will have the last laugh in this and all the negative nellies on here will be sorry for bashing Cal when other schools are vacating wins and championships.

You're quickly becoming the worst poster on this board and that's saying something.

If I have to click "show ignored content" to see who you're replying to, my guess is you might want to not even bother trying to engage with them.

And that my friends is one reason sports in general is on the downslide . People will continue to give their time , money and effort for a good product , a loyal product , a product they feel connected to . Does that describe our program right now ? Honestly I dont know . So many seem eager for the pro's and dont give a shit about our traditions and the expectations of the fans . But that topic has been beat to death here .
lol what a terrible post..

hey you kids, i spend my money watching my team play. you better come to my team. we have traditions, the best traditions.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Death, taxes, and Cal missing on another high profile recruit. The reality we must accept, we don’t get top 5 dudes anymore...

ESPN tells me Bam Adebayo was fifth in 2016. De'Aaron Fox was sixth. Malik Monk was ninth.

Would you have traded Kevin Knox or SGA for Tre Duval last year? Did you consider Skal Labissiere a top-5 contributor?

Your numbers are arbitrary and useless.

Unfortunately, it sounds like it’s probably Memphis.

I just hope he doesn’t pull a Zion Williamson and shock the world by choosing Duke. [sick]

This. You think Mo Bamba is sorry he picked Texas over us? He’s raking in the money in Orlando, he probably doesn’t care about winning there either.

Wiseman chooses Memphis, they lose a lot

He goes pro to somewhere like Charlotte, they lose a lot

He becomes very rich

Charlotte is Ok now that Kemba is dropping 60.

F wishing him well...if he chooses memphis st. I hope he loses every game he plays as a collegian, goes undrafted and ends up playing professionally in the same cut rate, 3rd world league that perma-banned the ball brothers.

Anger issues? Never did understand how sports fans lose perspective over decisions made by 17-18 year old kids. If he chooses Kentucky I wish him well. No matter where he goes he will end up in the same place after one year.

ESPN tells me Bam Adebayo was fifth in 2016. De'Aaron Fox was sixth. Malik Monk was ninth.

Would you have traded Kevin Knox or SGA for Tre Duval last year? Did you consider Skal Labissiere a top-5 contributor?

Your numbers are arbitrary and useless.

Recruiting matters. I said top 5, so I guess your math is arbitrary if you are using Fox and Monk as arguments.

In Cals push me out the door systems it’s going to be very hard to win without the elite of the elite freshman. Can’t be just young with just okay talent in each class. Need the top 5 players to consistently compete.

Just amazes me when you always here parents talk about I have to be able to trust the coach with my son and all that crap. If so how do we even have to recruit against teams like ARZ, Mich St, KU, etc... I guess just how there is coach talk there is parents talk and in the end they don't really care what scumbag is in charge of their son. Some of these guys shouldn't even have jobs, but I trust you with my child. We should have the upper hand on some of these schools, but I guess it doesn't matter.
I know one thing if Wiseman picked KU this place would implode. I know I would lose my mind. I had assumed if we missed on Wiseman we would end up with Carey, but that is looking more and more bleak. Like I said how could Mich St be major competition to us. Izzo looked like he was going to die during last season and all the scandal questions he had to dodge each game. Now him and Miller are dragging top recruits again like last year never happened.

Recruiting matters. I said top 5, so I guess your math is arbitrary if you are using Fox and Monk as arguments.

In Cals push me out the door systems it’s going to be very hard to win without the elite of the elite freshman. Can’t be just young with just okay talent in each class. Need the top 5 players to consistently compete.

Push me out the door system. [laughing] Sorry, I almost thought you were interested in a discussion. My mistake. Keep flinging your emotions at the internet.

Cal's absolute focus on pounding ball in the paint was message to Wiseman. The VMI game 'showed' wiseman how he Cal will run his offense when he comes....
Ummm yeah, this time last yr I would of said UK 100%, but now 50/50...depends on what Wiseman values, if he falls yo pressure to remain in Memphis will show he rather be liked than a champion. All players that go against the state school ended up great ones, (jury still out on Herro), but we will see.
James Wiseman is a special talent, he will do fine where ever he ends up. He can be a special talent and a Champion if he chooses us.

Lets look at the evidence:

October 24th Cal visits James Wiseman in Memphis for one last in home visit, right before James takes his official to Memphis.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...calipari-memphis-chings-hot-wings/1751513002/

18 days later reports start to leak out of Memphis that Memphis staff have started telling boosters that Wiseman to Memphis is all but done and a decision date will be announced soon.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main...mans-mother-says-sons-decision-not-finalized/

It could be that Cal told James during the visit that he needs to know his plans. And that if James is indeed going to Memphis, lets just agree to get it over with so that we dont lose out on others, waiting for nothing. The timing is important too. As Carey is announcing his final 3 later this week. Cal may have said if you're coming great, if not I understand, but we've been there with you all along, and lets just agree that its time for us to know.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/vernon-carey-to-announce-top-three-this-week/

Its no secret that Cal works with recruits, and even sometimes tells recruits to hold off and they agree on announcement dates.
It is not a coincidence that both of these announcements came at the same time.

So what could it mean?
1) Cal told James I need to know, either way, lets get it over with. If its Memphis, I understand, but announce so we have a shot with Carey's top 3. Carey wants to play with another big, and we have missed on some, so he may want to know before we he continues with us.
2) Kentucky basketball is off to a rough start, even down on attendance, recruiting has slowed too, so if its Kentucky, lets announce to build some momentum and get it going.
3) Carey has said he wants to play with another big man. So maybe he wants to know what Kentucky is bringing in, so he can decide whether or not to include us in the top 3 and continue with us. If its not Wiseman, and he knows that, we can pitch Hurt or someone else.

I think that Cal asked for his decision. James told him Memphis, which is why he suddenly decides its time to announce.
The only other thing it could be is that its Kentucky, and Cal said lets do it now because people are jumping off of cliffs with this start.

Id say that Memphis leaking to boosters says a lot. And that he will announce for them tomorrow, and Cal can move on. I dont know anything, just speculating like the rest of us. But We went from no info, to the leaks, and word that he was a done deal to Memphis and a decision was going to be announced soon. And sure enough, a decision date has been announced very soon (tomorrow).
I hope thats not it, but its pretty obvious with the turn around. And most likely the case.

Who the hell knows.. I do think like others that the timing of this bodes well for Memphis. Unless he is ready to get this over with but that's a LONG time to be a Wildcat while living in TN don't you agree?

HhhheeeelLLLL no. (In my best Wil Smif imitation.) Ask Ole Mortennesseesky

@morgousky

Anger issues? Never did understand how sports fans lose perspective over decisions made by 17-18 year old kids. If he chooses Kentucky I wish him well. No matter where he goes he will end up in the same place after one year.
I'm not angry at all...but why should I wish a kid well who's not playing for my team? I want what's best for my team, not some kid who chose to cast his lot w/ another program. What's best for my team is for any recruit who spurned us to have a less than stellar year at the program he threw us over for. Enough of those and the word may get out, "Turn Cal/UK down at your own peril"

Having said all that: I still haven't given up complete hope that he will be a cat.

edit: a Wildcat, that is...

Wiseman is more important to Memphis than he is to Ky. Cal will reload and move on but we don't have another high profile big man we are in on and we are already slim in the front court.

We feel good about his choice. His relationship with Penny is outstanding and he trusts his coaching philosophy, his sister enrolled at the Univ of Memphis prior to his move to East HS, mother lives and works in Memphis, Zbo visited with Wiseman recently and Zbo still claims he is a Memphian, Wiseman not only loves and respects Penny he has high praise for Mike Miller, Sam Mitchell and Tony Madlock, he has relationships with Tiger players and Dandridge just signed plus DJ Jeffries also signed (I know that is a raw spot for you guys also.)

Wiseman is a very smart kid. His mother has been very public on saying this would be a thoughtful, logical decision process. She did not want him to commit early but after all is said and done she has said it is his choice. A very solid family.

If you get him you get a good human being with great family support. Somebody to be proud of beyond just basketball.

Last edited:
Cal's absolute focus on pounding ball in the paint was message to Wiseman. The VMI game 'showed' wiseman how he Cal will run his offense when he comes....
Ummm yeah, this time last yr I would of said UK 100%, but now 50/50...depends on what Wiseman values, if he falls yo pressure to remain in Memphis will show he rather be liked than a champion. All players that go against the state school ended up great ones, (jury still out on Herro), but we will see.
James Wiseman is a special talent, he will do fine where ever he ends up. He can be a special talent and a Champion if he chooses us.

AND make more money. (That is not a feeling, that is a proven fact...)

Reactions: JC43
I was wrongfully bashing Cal a week ago. I was stinging from the Puke loss!

Now that I’ve gathered myself I’m standing by Cal. People think Cal is falling behind and is trending down.

Cal is always ahead and others copy! If Cal doesn’t end up with a top 5 recruit this year it is because he knows the FBI is watching the schools still paying players!

You don’t have Cals track record with putting guys into the NBA and keep striking out on top 5 talent unless there is more to it.

Cal will have the last laugh in this and all the negative nellies on here will be sorry for bashing Cal when other schools are vacating wins and championships.

A sane post. Welcome back...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Mr_GG
ADVERTISEMENT