ADVERTISEMENT

Why are teams skipping the NIT ??

megablue

All-SEC
Oct 2, 2012
I think roster turnover and the portal seem to be a big part of it. Why try to develop a team that you aren’t going to have ?? Players may not be interested in playing for a team they’re planning to leave, it seems to me.

I wonder what the average roster retention rate is ?? There must be stats on this …

Last edited:
The transfer portal opening this week has a ton to do with it.

This was not such an important recruiting time in the past, but it now totally is in this new NIL/transfer portal era. Coaches prefer spending this time getting a jump on pursuing plum transfers than actually coaching the team they have.

Because it'd mean they might have to work even more and the hell with all that. They don't get enough time off or paid enough money to go play an extra ballgame and take a chance on taking an L and uglying up that record. 😭 😂

Reactions: cmallory and know1
I would imagine the main reason is to stop the bleeding of the fans complaining about the season. Can you imagine if KY was in the NIT this year?
I mean come on. We are a 3 seed with a lot of people picking us to get to the Final Four and we got Crybaby Pumpers everywhere on this board. Lil Nancy's. It's hilarious. Enjoy the ride. It's going to be beautiful.

Go Cats!!!

Reactions: Mulder14
Coaching was already a tough job. You already lose roughly 25% of your roster every year and take in 18 year olds to replace them. Now you have to worry about the rest of your team getting poached. And these players probably don't want to play in a meaningless when so many of them are trying to transfer, or keep their bodies for when they have to compete against thr guys who DO transfer in.

In addition to what has been said, the NIT used to be a good springboard into the following season. Now that an oot of these schools anticipate losing guys that would have been back 10-15 years ago, I don’t feel like it’s looked like that nowadays.

Reactions: megablue
The other sad thing about the NIT is that they took away auto bids this year from conference regular season champs. That gave smaller conference teams something to play for/made the regular season worth following and investing in.

So instead they just decide to auto bid all these major conference teams and got turned down by a good number of them anyway, thereby making a change that basically screwed teams out of a bid that WOULD have played to invite teams that refused.

The other sad thing about the NIT is that they took away auto bids this year from conference regular season champs. That gave smaller conference teams something to play for/made the regular season worth following and investing in.

So instead they just decide to auto bid all these major conference teams and got turned down by a good number of them anyway, thereby making a change that basically screwed teams out of a bid that WOULD have played to invite teams that refused.
Agreed. Doing that and then so many teams declining bids wound up giving a team with a losing record like Xavier with a bid.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Coaching was already a tough job. You already lose roughly 25% of your roster every year and take in 18 year olds to replace them. Now you have to worry about the rest of your team getting poached. And these players probably don't want to play in a meaningless when so many of them are trying to transfer, or keep their bodies for when they have to compete against thr guys who DO transfer in.
These may all be valid reasons but I still believe that any coach or school who turns down an NIT bid is doing their team a disservice. The more games and practices and experience they gain the better for the next season’s teams and player development, even if some of those players end up transferring.

Certainly the NCAA should push the portal date back a few weeks at least.

Reactions: KFuqua
These may all be valid reasons but I still believe that any coach or school who turns down an NIT bid is doing their team a disservice. The more games and practices and experience they gain the better for the next season’s teams and player development, even if some of those players end up transferring.

Certainly the NCAA should push the portal date back a few weeks at least.

Honestly, are we sure it's even the coaches are making this call? I have to imagine some of these situations the players aren't really interested in playing.. maybe in part due to the transfer portal. A coach, who is trying to stay afloat in this transfer era, isn't going to force his team to play. Sadly, coaches need to tread very carefully, as players now have a ton of power.

I saw a great idea on facebook. Winner of the NIT gets an autobid for next year.'s NCAAT That would make all these teams take it seriously, and the fans might even tune in. And sure, that team might suck next year, but whatever, it gives the best 1-seed a gimme game that no one really cares about anyways. And this ensures that the NIT stays relevant.

.. or.. just let the NIT tournament die and then they do another small expansion with the play-in games.

I would imagine the main reason is to stop the bleeding of the fans complaining about the season. Can you imagine if KY was in the NIT this year?
I mean come on. We are a 3 seed with a lot of people picking us to get to the Final Four and we got Crybaby Pumpers everywhere on this board. Lil Nancy's. It's hilarious. Enjoy the ride. It's going to be beautiful.

Go Cats!!!
You must think we will at least make the Final Four if its going to be beautiful? Hope you come back to give your thoughts when the season ends for UK. Would love the inner thoughts of someone who continued to believe and was disappointed again. Or would you just say either the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight was beautiful with all this talent and numerous people picking UK to the Final Four or Championship Game. I am seriously interested.

You must think we will at least make the Final Four if its going to be beautiful? Hope you come back to give your thoughts when the season ends for UK. Would love the inner thoughts of someone who continued to believe and was disappointed again. Or would you just say either the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight was beautiful with all this talent and numerous people picking UK to the Final Four or Championship Game. I am seriously interested.

This is an NIT mentality. Nit only do you throw in the towel before even losing, you do so because you do nit want to be disappointed.

Guess what? Everyone around you will die. Does that nit mean you enjoy the W's in life?

Deep thoughts.

Reactions: taydaddy
I think roster turnover and the portal seem to be a big part of it. Why try to develop a team that you aren’t going to have ?? Players may not be interested in playing for a team they’re planning to leave, it seems to me.

I wonder what the average roster retention rate is ?? There must be stats on this …

I think you're right megablue. I think it's all about the transfer portal. These teams are wanting to get a jump on other teams in the portal.

I’m not sure about those other schools, but I’m glad mine chose to compete. Getting some of those young guys any kind of post season experience (and a win!) should help build a little confidence.
Yep, that's the reason to play. You give your young players a chance to get some experience in a tournament setting, and just some additional experience in general. I get the frustration from some in not making the NCAA-T, but it's just part of it. Only 68 teams make it in. Teaching your team to pout and take their ball home is a bad look, in my opinion.

Honestly, are we sure it's even the coaches are making this call? I have to imagine some of these situations the players aren't really interested in playing.. maybe in part due to the transfer portal. A coach, who is trying to stay afloat in this transfer era, isn't going to force his team to play. Sadly, coaches need to tread very carefully, as players now have a ton of power.

I saw a great idea on facebook. Winner of the NIT gets an autobid for next year.'s NCAAT That would make all these teams take it seriously, and the fans might even tune in. And sure, that team might suck next year, but whatever, it gives the best 1-seed a gimme game that no one really cares about anyways. And this ensures that the NIT stays relevant.

.. or.. just let the NIT tournament die and then they do another small expansion with the play-in games.

I guess if the entire team says they don't want to play then that's one thing, but if it's a few players who are planning on transferring anyway, then to me that's even more reason to go ahead and leave those players behind if need be. At the end of the day giving game experience to those who are interested and want to be on the team the following year is worthwhile.

Early transfer portal opening. Coaches who need to hit the portal and/or who are losing 75 percent of their team aren't interested in playing what essentially amounts to a meaningless tournament to determine the 69th best team.

I think they could resolve this by not opening the portal until the Tuesday after the men's championship. It seems like the bad teams get to start recruiting transfers and the teams still playing for that year's championship (or in that year's NIT) have to focus on the next game. Seems almost like punishment for winning.

why would they make the decision to open the transfer portal on the eve of the tournament?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to colleges to have it open on May 1?
Yeah, the NCAA could this instantly by just moving that date of the transfer portal opening by a few weeks. Just delay it until after the NCAA-T is finished. Simple.

This is an NIT mentality. Nit only do you throw in the towel before even losing, you do so because you do nit want to be disappointed.

Guess what? Everyone around you will die. Does that nit mean you enjoy the W's in life?

Deep thoughts.
And this is where we differ. It isn't a NIT Mentality. It has been our reality the last several years. This board for years made fun of Dean Smith for not winning more titles with all the talent he had in Chapel Hill. Guess what? Cal has squandered more opportunities here then Dean ever did. It is reality. I face reality and see it for what it is. I don't try to sugar coat it or turn a blind eye and just hope it will get better. Everyone around me will die including myself. We only get one chance to live and make the most of it. I refuse anymore to get so emotionally invested in a game or even watch them live as it just became to disappointing. Cal ruined that passion for me. I dont agree with his One and Done philosophy, his constant cheap shots at the fans and media, his hyperbole comments about lets pass UCLA, Gold Standard, We eat first etc. There is a reason he is so despised by the NCAA, Refs, fellow coaches etc. He has no grace or humility. He doesn't even understand why fans are upset when it was him that created all the hyperbole and we just took him at his word. Once you have been king of the hill for so long it is hard to watch the program slip to what it has become the last few years. Almost makes you feel sympathy for IU fans. I said almost. Really appreciate the cordial conversation and not resulting to insults as many on this board do. We are both fans we just have different ways of looking at things. I was so ready for Pitino to move on when he left UK for Boston for a lot of the same reason's I now want Cal gone. Difference was Pitino was still at his peak when he left but I was still glad he left as I didn't like the man's values, personality, cockiness etc. I hope our next coach can be someone of Tubby's personality and values but also is self-driven to put in the hard work and recruit. Guess I would wrap it up by saying Cal's whole stick has run it's course with me. It was good for awhile but looking back I guess that was more from winning at the highest level and actually being the gold standard. We haven't been that for years and now I look at it as why put up with his arrogance, cockiness, hyperbole, talking down to everyone etc. when we aren't and haven't been performing for years. Cal and his family are set for life because of Kentucky. Be the man Tubby was and know when to say enough is enough. But that is where Tubby and him are so opposite. Cal's ego will not let him because he doesn't feel he has underachieved. Just look at his comments when asked. Just my deep thoughts. Thanks

Yeah, the NCAA could this instantly by just moving that date of the transfer portal opening by a few weeks. Just delay it until after the NCAA-T is finished. Simple.
that is just stupid decision making on the part of the NCAA

I would assume they have some valid reason, given how much smarter they are supposed to be than us bennies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT