ADVERTISEMENT

St. Johns says NO to the NIT

Yeah so if he really cared about building the program he’d want every game possible…..

Actually what he’s doing is just getting a head start on portal recruiting. I don’t blame him even though it’s fun to poke at the guy. That tournament is a waste of time, at his age with the time he has left, the NIT would be counter productive.

I don't think guys care like they once did. Sure, once in awhile one of them probably struggles to take off the jersey for the last time but it just feels different from when guys like a Gerald Fitch or Erik Daniels played or a Patrick Sparks type guy. It killed those guys and you could tell. Now, I can't tell if guys are sad, mad, happy or just don't give a shit but it's different.

That was one of the things that was so heartbreaking watching march madness growing up was seeing Seniors lose that didn't want it to end. Now you have to beg guys to play. Guys may be more talented these days but they don't have the heart guys had back in the day.
Good take.
You never see a player of Barkley 's stature shed a tear like he did when Sky hit the last second shot to beat them in the SEC tourney.
Also remember Chris Carrawell breaking down after fouling out in a Duke loss.
Kids used to cry when they announced they were leaving early for the NBA, now it's a tweet.

Good take.
You never see a player of Barkley 's stature shed a tear like he did when Sky hit the last second shot to beat them in the SEC tourney.
Also remember Chris Carrawell breaking down after fouling out in a Duke loss.
Kids used to cry when they announced they were leaving early for the NBA, now it's a tweet.
Yeah, Barkley fell to the ground and sit underneath the basket and cried. That's one of Cawoods best calls ever. That was just a yr or so before I was old enough to know what was going on in the world lol. CB is a good example of guys who didn't want it to end. I don't usually feel as bad for a freshman who loses in the tournament and just going pro early as I do if it's SR or a guy like PPatterson. I feel more sorry for guys like the Unforgettables and that type of player. I understand why they go though for sure.

Like I said, the only thing I would do it for would be my seniors to give them a shot a ending on a high note. Imagine you suffer a gut wrenching loss in your conference tourney and that's your last game of basketball.....ever.

Sucks.

Playing the other side, would it be better really to lose in the NIT? Only one NIT team will go out with a W.

Whether Cal declined or accepted, he would get ripped by this board either for not adding to our W's or for not focusing on the portal. I don't know if a coach can win either way.

I wish I had more computer skills. And I’m going to hate myself for saying this but I agree with Tom Crean. 🤬. If someone could post it he more or less said put your team in if the kid doesn’t want to play opt out like the bowl games . If the coach doesn’t want to do his job let the assistant do it

I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino retires. A lot of the old school coaches don't recognize the game anymore. He loved coaching Iona but at St. Johns he was introduced to the NIL world.

Reactions: Cat06
What a quitter. He has quit everything in his life.

He knows he can’t even win the NIT so he’s bowing out, not surprised.

With how many power conference teams said "no thanks" to the NIT.. it kind of tells you that if this isn't THE tournament (NCAAT), coaches kind of don't seem to value it. And I think that includes conference tournaments a bit as well.

Pitino ain't the only one to decline the NIT.

I wish I had more computer skills. And I’m going to hate myself for saying this but I agree with Tom Crean. 🤬. If someone could post it he more or less said put your team in if the kid doesn’t want to play opt out like the bowl games . If the coach doesn’t want to do his job let the assistant do it
Crean actually turned down a bid to the CBI as the coach at Indiana.

Should Calipari start declining SEC Tournament games too? He does not want to be there.

Here it is:

Tom Crean is pretty mad at those eight teams turning the NIT down. He said that they can work on their team by playing so no excuse.

They should get rid of the NIT, expand the NCAA tournament and have multi-tiered byes like the SEC does.

I think with as many teams as there are in division 1, honestly a team like St. John's is good and entertaining enough to warrant being offered a slim chance.

Damn, folks fuss when individual players pass on toilet bowls in football...whole teams and coaches just saying "nah, we're done..."

This is wild.

Unfortunately, I think it's been inevitable as the modern landscape of college sports evolves. Players and even coaches are losing interest.

Probably won't be long before football teams just start pissing on lower tier bowls.

I will say this, I do think the NIT and about a 3rd of bowl games should be moved to start of season. OOC puffs to kick off both BB and FB are getting to be unwatchable. Need a little bit more excitement/drama and higher stakes to kick off/tip off both seasons.

Playing the other side, would it be better really to lose in the NIT? Only one NIT team will go out with a W.

Whether Cal declined or accepted, he would get ripped by this board either for not adding to our W's or for not focusing on the portal. I don't know if a coach can win either way.
Considering how little time Calipari invests in game planning I seriously doubt playing in the NIT would be a big hit to his portal efforts.

• Haha
Reactions: saxonburgcat
Pitino is upset that St John’s didn’t make it to the Big Dance. I get it. But why wouldn’t his team still want to keep playing together in the NIT? (He claims it is because they need to recruit 8 more players).

Here’s a notable quote, “I think we all should probably never mention that word [NET] again because it’s fraudulent,” Pitino said. “I think the NET is something that shouldn’t even be mentioned anymore. I think we had a good strength of schedule [in] KenPom [rankings]. Why mention him? We tried to play a tough schedule, we tried to do things the right way, and we didn’t get in. But I never make excuses.”

I understand all the narratives but if it's a total team decision I have no problem with not accepting a bid. It's up to the kids. If they want to play, you should play. If they don't, then don't. No need to spend lots of money and risk injury to play a game no one wants.

I think the correct criticism is the lack of culture and leadership involved around a school that has a team that doesn't want to play. They all should want to finish strong.

With how many power conference teams said "no thanks" to the NIT.. it kind of tells you that if this isn't THE tournament (NCAAT), coaches kind of don't seem to value it. And I think that includes conference tournaments a bit as well.

Pitino ain't the only one to decline the NIT.

This is very interesting and I’d be curious to know have this many teams declined it in the past?
This could be the beginning foundation cracks that could see this event eventually come to an end.

You’ve already got the argument now that with the portal, draft, dramatic roster changeover every year that there is no point to this event. The old argument to participate was show the committee how wrong they were and win this event and also use it to help next years team. But if you’re gonna lose most of your roster anyway, then what is the point?

Then you throw in the “butt hurt factor” with our society now, and the teams that just barely missed the NCAA Tournament are going to be so pissed off they’re just gonna thumb their nose at the NIT.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
This is very interesting and I’d be curious to know have this many teams declined it in the past?
This could be the beginning foundation cracks that could see this event eventually come to an end.

You’ve already got the argument now that with the portal, draft, dramatic roster changeover every year that there is no point to this event. The old argument to participate was show the committee how wrong they were and win this event and also use it to help next years team. But if you’re gonna lose most of your roster anyway, then what is the point?

Then you throw in the “butt hurt factor” with our society now, and the teams that just barely missed the NCAA Tournament are going to be so pissed off they’re just gonna thumb their nose at the NIT.

It seems like a few teams do it every year.

I mean I don't like "quitting" but I also understand that the NIT tournament means zilch. And these programs are probably just ready to move on, start the transfer portal, etc etc.

The Pitino lovers on this board are nauseating. The guy can do no wrong to them. Leaves UK with a crap recruiting class overall for Boston, then goes full Benedict arnold/judas and goes to UL. Aborts a child from his mistress and hires hookers to get recruits. Wins a title by cheating and has it vacated. Goes to Iona and now to st johns and people on our board that claim to be UK fans seem more upset about Ricky p not making the ncaa than about talking UK.

It's been almost 30 years old timers. 1996 isn't coming back.

And we are allowed to hate pitino and also hate cal. I've said cal needs fired asap and won't ever win another sec regular season, sec title, final four or natty title here. He's done.

Reactions: Mulder14
The only way the NIT becomes relevant again would be if they turned into a play in tournament where the champion gets into the main NCAA Tournament bracket. You could expand the NCAA Tournament to 96 teams, but 32 play in the NIT with the champion getting in the main tournament. Since the NCAA owns the NIT now, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried this down the road.

How is that supposed to work logistically? Everyone sits around for an extra week while 32 teams battle it out for 1 bid? I just don't think that would work.

Georgia slid in because of Ole Miss opting out. I’ll take it. Glad our guys will get another chance at competition. Don’t think any harm can come from any kind of post season experience.

I actually enjoy watching the NIT because sometimes it gives you insight into teams for the next year and does build postseason experience. I'll be rooting for you all and LSU to do some damage!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT