ADVERTISEMENT

Cow has brainwashed the UK fanbase into settling for low standards

I saw someone saying how we finished the season ranked #11 which is higher than our pre-season ranking, so we’ve escaped expectations already and still fans are upset with our coach.

I saw someone else say if we make it to the sweet 16 that’s a great season.

It blows my mind. We’ve accepted mediocrity. GOLD STANDARD.

I've said this before and maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm not. Cal will not be drawn away by another school so give that hope up. Be it as it may this is his dream school. However he leaves this tenure it will be his last imho. Whether he goes out swingin or calmly steps down this is the end of his coaching career. Think about it

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Yesterday I saw respected members of this board (whom I consider to be intelligent people) claiming that losing to Houston in E8 would be considered a "successful season" for UK?!

Since when do UK fans hang Elite Eight banners? We ran Tubby off for losing 10 games a year, now that's fine with us? Hell, I remember when that clown Tom Crean made Sweet 16 rings for his Indiana team, we all thought that was hilarious, now we are ready to let Cow's sh*t slide if he limps into the second weekend?

Not a single #1 seed or Final Four for 9 years straight and we set Elite Eight as our goal?

Sorry, but are you kidding me?

As far as I'm concerned, Cow has got to win the whole damn thing and redeem himself for the pathetic coaching performance in the 2010 and 2015 tourneys (when he had superteams at his disposal) or he can hit the bricks ASAP.

We were promised the Gold Standard, so why do we settle for mediocrity?

Calipari has tried to win at every program he’s been at sure, but he’s also excellent at lowering standards at the same time. He’s made comments at times over the last 20 years that seem to explain it. He does not want high standards and I think he realized at some point in his tenure at UK that the standards we expected were too high. He’s slowly tried to do it here, and it has worked on some yes. But good to remember around Lexington and Kentucky I don’t know a single UK fan that wants him anymore. His tenure is about over too. I see no way after we flameout early he survives it. If he does, next year has to be the last.

It’s almost over.
How ‘bout letting the games play out first?

cal wouldn't win me back if he won the next 10 NCAA's in a row. I'm done with him.
You Are Dumb Mario Lopez GIF

• Haha
Reactions: BlueTick2
Apparently I'm one of the unique ones where the performance isn't the determining factor. I want him gone because our program isn't his top priority. That won't change if his players somehow gift him a championship.
Newsflash: Cal wins a National Title, he’ll get an extension.

I'll get attacked for saying it, heaven forbid, but we have 8 titles in the history of this program. We've got posters on here acting like these things are won every other year. Rupp is the only UK coach with multiple titles.

Rupp coached for Kentucky for 40 years and he had 6 Final 4s. SIX.

Joe B Hall went to 3 Final 4s in 13 seasons as the UK head coach. He also failed to qualify for the NCAA Tournament 3 times as well. He had 4 seasons with double-digit losses. In 13 seasons, Coach Hall only won 1 single SEC Tournament championship.

Pitino was successful and widely beloved by the fanbase. 3 Final 4s in the 6 seasons they were eligible for the postseason. But also upset in the round of 32 as a 2-seed, a team that was 27-7 on the season. Twice as a 1-seed they failed to make the Final 4.

I don't give a rat's ass about Cal's future. If he's the best guy for the job, so be it. If there's a better fit and a way to afford the insane buy-out, so be it. But we've got posters on here who idolize every previous coach and will rip to shreds WHOEVER the current coach is. Revisionist history is alive and well on Rafters
This x 1000

It is the laziest of lazy to just label posters Calapologists or Cal-lovers when they don't immediately criticize Cal for something. Goodness, try to find a reasonable line of thought to follow up reading someone else's post.
You sound just like Mitch with his "microwave fans" bull. You do realize that nobody here is "immediately" criticizing Cal? That it has, in fact, been FIVE YEARS since we made an Elite Eight?

We need a good young coach with lots of energy, Cal has got fat and rich and all he cares about getting his players to the NBA

It is the laziest of lazy to just label posters Calapologists or Cal-lovers when they don't immediately criticize Cal for something. Goodness, try to find a reasonable line of thought to follow up reading someone else's post.
It's also lazy AND off base to label people critical of Cal as haters and to say that we don't support the team. Never mind to say we're miserable.

I support the team 100% and I still think Cal should not be the coach. In fact, that's a way of supporting the team - wanting something better for them and not accepting having good kids/players let down by their coach.

But I do not hate Cal whatsoever. I just do not think he's serving the UK program NEARLY as well as its head coach should. And the results clearly show that. Without that lifetime contract, he would not still be our coach after the last 5 years of the program. The other coaches who parted ways with UK for whatever reason had BETTER records (and yes - some had extenuating circumstances).

Good post. A team like Kentucky, a blue blood should realistically win a title every 10-12 years. That would make you an elite program. This little dry spell has been taxing for sure. I’m really impressed with what UConn has done in such a short amount of time. But let’s look at them again in 30 years.
There won’t be college basketball in 30 years. At least not as we know it. Football and basketball are becoming unrecognizable. I hate what it has become.

Yeah, I'm not listening to anyone who thinks it's remotely clever to replace "Cal" with "Cow." If you want to have a grown up conversation, be a grown up. There are kids and teens who wouldn't be that childish.

And I've said this before - Louisville fans came up with the Cow thing. It was lame then and it's pretty lame now. All you're doing is stealing a lame insult from their online fans and using it for our current coach.

You sound just like Mitch with his "microwave fans" bull. You do realize that nobody here is "immediately" criticizing Cal? That it has, in fact, been FIVE YEARS since we made an Elite Eight?
lol, if you don't think fans, and especially posters on here, weren't criticizing Cal years ago, you haven't been paying much attention

Not enough players from Kentucky
One and done philosophy
Not enough playing time for Derek Willis, Dominique Hawkins, and of course, Dontaie Allen
Missing out on big-time recruits, Cal has "lost it"
Darius Miller not being a starter
Not running OBU plays, not calling timeouts
And the list goes on and on

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
It's also lazy AND off base to label people critical of Cal as haters and to say that we don't support the team. Never mind to say we're miserable.

I support the team 100% and I still think Cal should not be the coach. In fact, that's a way of supporting the team - wanting something better for them and not accepting having good kids/players let down by their coach.

But I do not hate Cal whatsoever. I just do not think he's serving the UK program NEARLY as well as its head coach should. And the results clearly show that. Without that lifetime contract, he would not still be our coach after the last 5 years of the program. The other coaches who parted ways with UK for whatever reason had BETTER records (and yes - some had extenuating circumstances).
I think what you're not recognizing is this: there are plenty of posters on here that are Cal-haters, and they're actually self-proclaimed Cal-haters. Furthermore, 99% of the time the post or start a thread, it's to bash Cal. You seem like a pretty intelligent and logical poster, so I'm sure you actually realize that this is true.

Cal is ABSOLUTELY deserving of criticism. So yes, absolutely you can be a diehard Cats fan and still criticize Cal. But the criticism needs to be valid. Not everything under the sun is his fault. There are several things I criticize Cal for, but I at least attempt to put some rationale thought into it before launching some kind of tirade.

As for the future, let's see how March plays out. After that, let's see who is actually available to replace Cal, if that's the avenue the administration chooses to pursue. But with that buyout, and with the fact that other schools are now shelling out millions and millions to keep coaches, I don't know if it's as easy as a solution as some of BBN are expecting it to be

I think what you're not recognizing is this: there are plenty of posters on here that are Cal-haters, and they're actually self-proclaimed Cal-haters. Furthermore, 99% of the time the post or start a thread, it's to bash Cal. You seem like a pretty intelligent and logical poster, so I'm sure you actually realize that this is true.

Cal is ABSOLUTELY deserving of criticism. So yes, absolutely you can be a diehard Cats fan and still criticize Cal. But the criticism needs to be valid. Not everything under the sun is his fault. There are several things I criticize Cal for, but I at least attempt to put some rationale thought into it before launching some kind of tirade.

As for the future, let's see how March plays out. After that, let's see who is actually available to replace Cal, if that's the avenue the administration chooses to pursue. But with that buyout, and with the fact that other schools are now shelling out millions and millions to keep coaches, I don't know if it's as easy as a solution as some of BBN are expecting it to be
Sure - there are probably people who just hate Cal for some reason - like the kneeling thing or being disrespectful of the fans - but that doesn't mean ALL of them are haters. That was my point and I'm not one of those.

As far as waiting to see how this March plays out, I personally don't think having some success this March changes the criticism he deserves. And just because you want people to stop being critical right now, doesn't mean they have to. And that's the same as saying just because we want Cal to not be the coach of the UK program doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon.

Sure - there are probably people who just hate Cal for some reason - like the kneeling thing or being disrespectful of the fans - but that doesn't mean ALL of them are haters. That was my point and I'm not one of those.

As far as waiting to see how this March plays out, I personally don't think having some success this March changes the criticism he deserves. And just because you want people to stop being critical right now, doesn't mean they have to. And that's the same as saying just because we want Cal to not be the coach of the UK program doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon.
You're either making stuff up or you're not even reading what I'm posting, not sure which it is? But I literally said he deserves criticism - I even put "ABSOLUTELY" in all caps to draw attention to that. I even said that I am someone who criticizes him for things as well. I'm not going to go through the hassle, but just spend 10 minutes of your time reading the titles of some of these threads, or really just hop into any random thread and you'll find a handful of posters who are posting the most ridiculous "criticisms" of Cal (not even really criticisms because of how far-fetched some of them are)

You're either making stuff up or you're not even reading what I'm posting, not sure which it is? But I literally said he deserves criticism - I even put "ABSOLUTELY" in all caps to draw attention to that. I even said that I am someone who criticizes him for things as well. I'm not going to go through the hassle, but just spend 10 minutes of your time reading the titles of some of these threads, or really just hop into any random thread and you'll find a handful of posters who are posting the most ridiculous "criticisms" of Cal (not even really criticisms because of how far-fetched some of them are)
I think it's you who isn't reading very closely. My first word was "Sure" - that's because I was agreeing with you. I'm just saying they all aren't haters. The rest of my post was saying that you can post, ask or whatever people to stop criticizing, but that doesn't mean they will. Just like they can ask/post that Cal be gone, but it doesn't mean it will happen.

Respect has to be earned. Give it a rest.
This is another one of those times that I almost feel forced to defend Cal whether I want to or not. We can all agree that he has largely sucked since 2019. You will get no argument from me on that. But how much did you do for the flood victims in eastern Ky? Or the tornado victims over in western Ky? This is real life shit. Kentucky as a state is already behind the 8 ball when it comes to social and economic hardship, but this state has never had a public humanitarian that has done more for the people than Cal has. I will always respect that about him enough that I can muster the decency to call him by his actual name.

If you want to say he's failed to live up to our standards as a coach then you and I can agree. But I think he deserves to not be personally attacked and made fun of by the people in this state. He has earned that much respect.

Reactions: Graham51 and TexKat
My expectations never change: To be in contention for a national championship most years.

I don’t expect to win the title or go the the Final Four every season because the math isn’t there and those fans just set themselves up for disappointment year after year. UK has won 8 championships and has been to 17 Final Fours in 121 years of basketball. It’s more of a rare occurrence than an annual occurrence.

Yeah, I want to win the title, but I will take an Elite 8 this year over the results of the last 3.75 seasons.
Fair and relistic expectations

complaining isnt meant to help the team, it's vent to vent frustrations with the team. Unfortunately theres been alot to complain about for the last few years including this one.
Some complaints are warranted and some are not, but to act like no one should complain because it doesnt help the team is pretty goofy imho.

A fanbase remaining silent does nothing to help a team either and personally I'm glad people have someplace to clear the air, wether it be right or wrong
Good point.

There have been 84 NCAA tournaments. Kentucky has been to the EE in 38 of them. Have never gone more than 5 seasons(87-91) without at least an EE appearance. Only twice has UK even gone 4 seasons without making an EE. 1979-1982 and 2006-2009. If Kentucky fails to make the EE this season it will mark the 3rd time it's happened(there was no tournament in 2020), Calipari has been to 7 of them at Kentucky.

My standards for UK basketball do not change no matter who the coach is. But, when the coach goes all in and publicly proclaims Kentucky as the Gold Standard then he had damn well better keep the program up to that standard.

IMO Kentucky should always be a threat to make a FF. Not necessarily win it but, at least be a threat to get there. Some years that means getting beat in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 but, to me that means the program is still where it needs to be competitively. Kentucky should NEVER lose a first round game, especially to the likes of St. Peters just like a 9-16 season should NEVER happen. Why? Because a program at Kentucky's level should have the talent and coaching necessary to be sure those things do not happen.

Right now and for the last 5 years, we have not been meeting expectations. That's entirely on the head coach and his staff. The university provides the tools, budget and support needed to be at or near the top. Failure to meet that standard is a waste of resources and opportunities.

No I've been a fan since Hall.
When has UK as a program ever not aspired for #1 recruiting classes?
Joe B. was one of the founding fathers of excess in college basketball.
When the Wildcat Lodge opened, no one else in the country had anything like it. They actually had to tone it down some to get it approved by the NCAA.
So you could say Hall was Cal way before Cal.
Coaches that sign #1 classes are trying to win games. How many games has his recruiting model won in the last 15 seasons?
A lot. More than any other coach.
As far as 10 losses, probably something you're gonna have to get used to.
If the bar has been lowered where 7 losses can get you a #1 seed and 10 losses a #4, 10 ain't that bad.
Going to be extremely difficult to put together a 2015 type roster capable of going into a FF undefeated in today's CBB climate.
That may never happen again.
Again, #1 recruiting classes are great when they translate to post season success. They haven’t in 9 years now (assuming we don’t win a title this year). And if your bar is lower than that, 9 years since a FF. You act like getting 7 losses for a 1 seed is normal. It’s not. 3 out of the 4 one seeds this year have 4 or less losses. The overwhelming majority of 1 seeds, in recent and overall history, have had less than 7 losses. You’re using the exception to prove a rule and it’s very easily fact checked.

And again, if #1 recruiting classes were as great as you claim then 10 shouldn’t and wouldn’t be normal. Maybe you aren’t new to college basketball but you are an amateur at both college basketball and logic. I mean that as a serious criticism and not as an insult.

Hall was kinda Cal before Cal. He had all sorts of All Americans, top ranked recruiting classes, and only one title. Except he didn’t intermingle his politics with basketball, didn’t take jabs at the fans in every press conference street a win, didn’t run from the press after an embarrassing loss, and left without overstaying his welcome. Also, not a whole lot of 10 loss seasons. So him and Cal actually have very little in common when you consider the big picture. But you strike me as someone who can’t see the forest through the trees.

I don’t expect them to go 38-0 to the Final Four. Never even suggested anything remotely close to that. Talk about a reach. But if Cal needs a 2015 level roster to get to a final four, or an AD level talent to win a championship, then he is never going to do either at UK again. I have 8, soon to be 9, years of data to back that up btw.

Reactions: entropy13
Again, #1 recruiting classes are great when they translate to post season success. They haven’t in 9 years now (assuming we don’t win a title this year). And if your bar is lower than that, 9 years since a FF. You act like getting 7 losses for a 1 seed is normal. It’s not. 3 out of the 4 one seeds this year have 4 or less losses. The overwhelming majority of 1 seeds, in recent and overall history, have had less than 7 losses. You’re using the exception to prove a rule and it’s very easily fact checked.

And again, if #1 recruiting classes were as great as you claim then 10 shouldn’t and wouldn’t be normal. Maybe you aren’t new to college basketball but you are an amateur at both college basketball and logic. I mean that as a serious criticism and not as an insult.

Hall was kinda Cal before Cal. He had all sorts of All Americans, top ranked recruiting classes, and only one title. Except he didn’t intermingle his politics with basketball, didn’t take jabs at the fans in every press conference street a win, didn’t run from the press after an embarrassing loss, and left without overstaying his welcome. Also, not a whole lot of 10 loss seasons. So him and Cal actually have very little in common when you consider the big picture. But you strike me as someone who can’t see the forest through the trees.

I don’t expect them to go 38-0 to the Final Four. Never even suggested anything remotely close to that. Talk about a reach. But if Cal needs a 2015 level roster to get to a final four, or an AD level talent to win a championship, then he is never going to do either at UK again. I have 8, soon to be 9, years of data to back that up btw.
We literally are a 3 seed and playing on Thursday and here you are rehashing the same old tired crap. Damn, at least give it a rest until the season’s over.

We literally are a 3 seed and playing on Thursday and here you are rehashing the same old tired crap. Damn, at least give it a rest until the season’s over.
I don’t interject myself into your debates with other posters, so I ask that you don’t do that to mine. This conversation has nothing to do with you and any rehashing is because we are having a debate and it has remained relatively focused.

I kindly suggest you go back to debating and conversing with those who think your opinions carry value. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. Have a good night.

Cal is definitely not at the apex of his career but he still recruits at the top of all CBB and he's still winning games at a level consistent with the programs historical winning percentages.
We haven't had a good tourney run post covid, this is true.
I definitely do not put the coach above the program but IMO it's not in the best interest of the program to remove John Calipari as head coach.
If he retires or resigns then so be it. You move forward.
It would be an unprecedented move to fire Cal solely based on job performance with no off court issues.
Don't understand the political angle.
He's been less vocal about politics than Pitino was
Both are Democrats as are most all CBB coaches.

Cal is definitely not at the apex of his career but he still recruits at the top of all CBB and he's still winning games at a level consistent with the programs historical winning percentages.
We haven't had a good tourney run post covid, this is true.
I definitely do not put the coach above the program but IMO it's not in the best interest of the program to remove John Calipari as head coach.
If he retires or resigns then so be it. You move forward.
It would be an unprecedented move to fire Cal solely based on job performance with no off court issues.
Don't understand the political angle.
He's been less vocal about politics than Pitino was
Both are Democrats as are most all CBB coaches.
If Cal doesn’t win the championship this year than isn’t going to win another championship while here and he won’t make another FF. It’s time to move on. He is not winning consistent with the program’s history. That’s proven by him losing the all time win lead to KU. KU has played more games overall than us and we still caught and overtook them. Then they caught and overtook us under his watch.

His first 5 years were above average minus the NIT year with Noel going down. Since then he’s has some average years on par with our historical average but more often than not he is not performing to UK’s standard. While UK has never had to fire a coach strictly for on the court performance it is getting close to time. And that should say something. The only other coach that media outlets and fans discussed firing a head UK coach was with Ten Loss Tubby because he couldn’t perform in the regular and post seasons. Cal’s career over the past 7ish years have mirrored Tubby’s career. Like it or not, it’s true. Only Cal is doing it with more talent.

Money is likely an issue but every year that goes by that buy out decreases.

If you don’t understand the political issue then that’s likely because you’re a Democrat yourself and you like his politics.

I’m a libertarian and I don’t like knowing which way my coach votes. I just want to watch basketball. It’d be like if you went out to dinner and your waiter was a wearing a MAGA hat. You probably wouldn’t appreciate that.

Last edited:
Yesterday I saw respected members of this board (whom I consider to be intelligent people) claiming that losing to Houston in E8 would be considered a "successful season" for UK?!

Since when do UK fans hang Elite Eight banners? We ran Tubby off for losing 10 games a year, now that's fine with us? Hell, I remember when that clown Tom Crean made Sweet 16 rings for his Indiana team, we all thought that was hilarious, now we are ready to let Cow's sh*t slide if he limps into the second weekend?

Not a single #1 seed or Final Four for 9 years straight and we set Elite Eight as our goal?

As far as I'm concerned, Cow has got to win the whole damn thing and redeem himself for the pathetic coaching performance in the 2010 and 2015 tourneys (when he had superteams at his disposal) or he can hit the bricks ASAP.

To level set...

EE has always been the barometer of a successful season at UK from historical perspective imo. I guess success is in the eye of the beholder but I'd prefer to think the teams over years have been successful more than 17 times. Some may call a Swt 16 a successful season...that is probably fair too, but I see that as a little too forgiving. Feel like EE is a nice meeting in the middle.

However, that won't cut it this year imo. He needs at minimum a FF and I think you're right OP...really needs a NT.

Like I said I've never known Cal to be directly involved in politics.
I know Pitino has appeared on stage with candidates while he was coaching here.
I know a lot of fans were rubbed the wrong way with the kneeling incident in Gainesville and I don't support kneeling but I also don't make my living going into the living rooms of African-American parents and convincing their children to come play basketball for me.
Pro athletes influence college athletes, not like it was Cal's idea.
It's a fact that if Mitch were to fire Cal, he has to step up and own it in the media.
You can't fire a HOF coach and duck the media.
Mitch would have zero support from anyone in the sports media plus zero support from any of Cal's former players and even players who didn't play for Cal.
That's why I don't think it will ever happen because Mitch will stay as far away from controversy as he can. He has never been seen as an AD that cared much about fans opinions.
There really hasn't been any " grass roots" pressure thus far other than fans complaining on message boards and call in shows.
The attendance is still there, home and on the road evidenced by Nashville being full of blue.
As of today I don't think Mitch has any fear of empty seats.

I've said this before and maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm not. Cal will not be drawn away by another school so give that hope up. Be it as it may this is his dream school. However he leaves this tenure it will be his last imho. Whether he goes out swingin or calmly steps down this is the end of his coaching career. Think about it
Agree. His only move from here would be to a lessor school. No way he’s motivated to do that. He said this year that he’s staying until the whole NBA All Star game is UK players. Of course that will never happen but that’s a hint that he’s still motivated to recruit the top players. But I do think retirement has to be closer than he thought it would be with the lack of translating all that recruiting success to tournament success. The anti Cal clan is terrified of a big run in this tournament as they think they have him almost ready to say uncle and that a flameout this year might just get him to tap out. They are hoping for that, some even say it or might as well say it as it’s obvious what they want.

Reactions: TexKat

He hasn’t lowered mine one bit. Not that what I think carries any weight with the administration but I’ve always been title or bust for him for this season. I, like many others, was very excited to see what Cal would do with his hyped up Wagner class that we’ve all been waiting for and…

Another 10 loss season (unless he wins a national title). Calling him 10-Loss-Cal (XLC for short) isn’t even a joke anymore. He has all the tools and has gotten plenty of talent to coach. And if something is broken with his system that is keeping him from winning it is his responsibility to fix that. He has complete control over his staff (Mitch confirmed this) and he has complete control over who he recruits. If he can’t get it done anymore it’s time to move on.

He won’t be able to hide from this bracket now. Every talking head and their mama is talking about how we got the easiest draw, how it’s set up for us to get to a final 4. I’ve already seen Vitale pick up to win the whole thing. If Cal doesn’t prepare or get us to play defense and we lose, he will hear about it from everyone, not just BBN.
Whenever @BlueTick2 clicks the smiley face emoji, take it as a compliment. It simply means you are right, and he has no intelligent rebuttal to your argument. It's his way of saying how advanced your position is, and although he disagrees from an emotional level, on an intellectual level he's incapable of addressing your points with any type of coherent response.

Actually the situation is much wore than your post: (1) only one win in the last 6 SECT games....that puts us in 13th place out of 14 teams, (2) only one NCAAT win since 2018....not sure where that puts us, but it is really bad for the gold standard team, (3) only one win in the last seven Champions Classic games, (4) 45 losses in the last 4 years...never happened under any other coach. This list is much longer, but you get the picture. And all of this was accomplished with the top ranked or 2nd ranked recruiting class every year Cal has been here. How much more BS can the program withstand and still survive?
We actually have 6 NCAA wins since 2018. 2 in 2018, 3 in 2019 and one last year. No doubt the 2020 team would've won a couple games. But I agree with your main thesis.

This!!!! 💥

I watched and supported our team during the last years of Tubby, the 2 years of BCG and the couple down years we have had under Cal.

Did I cuss and complain, break stuff, and scream at my TV? Absolutely and plus more.

But I did I ever one time hope we would lose in order for my opinion to be correct??? Absolutely not. There’s a ton of people on here that root against us and claim to be fans.

I might catch 💩 for this but we would be much better off with supportive fans instead of egotistical fans who are only interested in their predictions to be correct.

It’s ok to not like Cal and want a different coach, it’s another story when you root against us and downplay anything positive because it affects the negative agenda you’re trying to push on everyone.
Gotta be honest, last few Billy Clyde games, I wanted losses and embarrassment. He had to go…

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT