ADVERTISEMENT

Cow has brainwashed the UK fanbase into settling for low standards

CROCAT

Freshman
Nov 20, 2018
Yesterday I saw respected members of this board (whom I consider to be intelligent people) claiming that losing to Houston in E8 would be considered a "successful season" for UK?!

Since when do UK fans hang Elite Eight banners? We ran Tubby off for losing 10 games a year, now that's fine with us? Hell, I remember when that clown Tom Crean made Sweet 16 rings for his Indiana team, we all thought that was hilarious, now we are ready to let Cow's sh*t slide if he limps into the second weekend?

Not a single #1 seed or Final Four for 9 years straight and we set Elite Eight as our goal?

Sorry, but are you kidding me?

As far as I'm concerned, Cow has got to win the whole damn thing and redeem himself for the pathetic coaching performance in the 2010 and 2015 tourneys (when he had superteams at his disposal) or he can hit the bricks ASAP.

We were promised the Gold Standard, so why do we settle for mediocrity?

Calipari has tried to win at every program he’s been at sure, but he’s also excellent at lowering standards at the same time. He’s made comments at times over the last 20 years that seem to explain it. He does not want high standards and I think he realized at some point in his tenure at UK that the standards we expected were too high. He’s slowly tried to do it here, and it has worked on some yes. But good to remember around Lexington and Kentucky I don’t know a single UK fan that wants him anymore. His tenure is about over too. I see no way after we flameout early he survives it. If he does, next year has to be the last.

It’s almost over.

He hasn’t lowered mine one bit. Not that what I think carries any weight with the administration but I’ve always been title or bust for him for this season. I, like many others, was very excited to see what Cal would do with his hyped up Wagner class that we’ve all been waiting for and…

Another 10 loss season (unless he wins a national title). Calling him 10-Loss-Cal (XLC for short) isn’t even a joke anymore. He has all the tools and has gotten plenty of talent to coach. And if something is broken with his system that is keeping him from winning it is his responsibility to fix that. He has complete control over his staff (Mitch confirmed this) and he has complete control over who he recruits. If he can’t get it done anymore it’s time to move on.

Last edited:
Yesterday I saw respected members of this board (whom I consider to be intelligent people) claiming that losing to Houston in E8 would be considered a "successful season" for UK?!

Since when do UK fans hang Elite Eight banners? We ran Tubby off for losing 10 games a year, now that's fine with us? Hell, I remember when that clown Tom Crean made Sweet 16 rings for his Indiana team, we all thought that was hilarious, now we are ready to let Cow's sh*t slide if he limps into the second weekend?

Not a single #1 seed or Final Four for 9 years straight and we set Elite Eight as our goal?

As far as I'm concerned, Cow has got to win the whole damn thing and redeem himself for the pathetic coaching performance in the 2010 and 2015 tourneys (when he had superteams at his disposal) or he can hit the bricks ASAP.

He won’t be able to hide from this bracket now. Every talking head and their mama is talking about how we got the easiest draw, how it’s set up for us to get to a final 4. I’ve already seen Vitale pick up to win the whole thing. If Cal doesn’t prepare or get us to play defense and we lose, he will hear about it from everyone, not just BBN.

Would be so great if people could just enjoy the entertainment for what it is (entertainment) or just skip it altogether and go rake leaves instead of looking for a fight and insulting other fans. Truly sad.
UK basketball may be "entertainment" for you Calopologists, for some of us it's much more than that. Back in the day, it was a way of life... So please don't tell me that the real championship are the friends we made along the way, just because your boy CCC ain't getting it done anymore (for years now).

UK basketball may be "entertainment" for you Calopologists, for some of us it's much more than that. Back in the day, it was a way of life... So please don't tell me that the real championship are the friends we made along the way, just because your boy CCC ain't getting it done anymore (for years now).
Yawn. I’ve said multiple times just this week that I want him to move on. Carry on, wouldn’t want to interrupt you from insulting people from behind an anonymous alias….

That's what baller does. Plays moral high ground, or says i'm off to go drink beer at the country club, tries to act like he's above us all. Meanwhile, this dude is on his 10th account since 2019.

Some people moan and complain before the tourney is played out, that's real helpful. You don't have to watch

Complaining literally does not one thing to help our team and it doesn’t make you a better fan. It doesn’t make you look better or smarter.
Fair weather fans have overtaken our fanbase and it’s nauseating.

Makes me feel better to know that most are trolls on this board, though.

I never got the whole "fans settling" thing.

I watch a ton of sports. Some of the teams I root for have had wonderful histories and have been good the majority of my life. Others have been god awful. It's not about settling for low standards. It's about having the perspective to know what I can change and what I can't change.

I can't fire the head coach of Kentucky. That's not in my control. I can't shape the future of this team. To me, it's all about perspective on what I can and can't do. Now, I could stop supporting the team. But I'm not going to do that and there's not enough people that would ever do that to force a change.

The tournament starts Thursday. Either hop on board or don't. That's all you can do.

Pretty simple, when you are a 3 seed you are EXPECTED to be in the Sweet 16and anything less is a failure.

When you are a 3 seed with several NBA prospects including two top 10 picks, you better do better than that or you failed.

Sweet 16 followed by a loss should get Cal out of Lexington.

Some I think really need a dose of reality.

The Yankees have 27 World Series titles. They have gone 15 years without one now.

No one stays on top forever. No one.

College basketball is changing. This isn't the 70s anymore.
Who the hell is asking for a title every year like the Yankees? Lol, it is too much to ask for A SECT title, or a regular season title, an elite 8? A season without 9 to 10 losses? OP hit the nail on the head. Our fans are fine with settling for less. On a foundation of apathy.

Pretty simple, when you are a 3 seed you are EXPECTED to be in the Sweet 16and anything less is a failure.

When you are a 3 seed with several NBA prospects including two top 10 picks, you better do better than that or you failed.

Sweet 16 followed by a loss should get Cal out of Lexington.

Although a sweet 16 appearance isn’t Uk standards, this statement proves how out of touch our fans are.

Although a sweet 16 appearance isn’t Uk standards, this statement proves how out of touch our fans are.
2020-16 losses
2021-1st round loss
2022-12 losses and a 2nd round exit
2023-9 losses and most likely no final four or title.
We are closing in on 50 losses under Cal in 5 years. How is he out of touch? This team has two top 10 picks, 2 veterans, a double 1000 point scorer, 3 servicable bigs, solid role players. Any other coach at UK, with a record of:

Missed Tournament, 1st round loss, 2nd round loss, sweet 16. Would be fired at UK.

Who the hell is asking for a title every year like the Yankees? Lol, it is too much to ask for A SECT title, or a regular season title, an elite 8? A season without 9 to 10 losses? OP hit the nail on the head. Our fans are fine with settling for less. On a foundation of apathy.

I agree that post 15 we haven't done enough. But the whole thing about settling is still non sense. No one is settling. No one here is happy with how the last few years have gone with this team.

It's okay to expect greatness. But some need to step back from the ledge a little bit because they think they have more control over this than they actually do. We are fans. We can either root for the team or not root for the team. If the team stinks, I'm still going to root for them. Because IMO that's what fans do. The problem is people think oh you are "settling for less" or "lowering expections"

No I'm just supporting my team.......in good times and in bad.

I agree that post 15 we haven't done enough. But the whole thing about settling is still non sense. No one is settling. No one here is happy with how the last few years have gone with this team.

It's okay to expect greatness. But some need to step back from the ledge a little bit because they think they have more control over this than they actually do. We are fans. We can either root for the team or not root for the team. If the team stinks, I'm still going to root for them. Because IMO that's what fans do. The problem is people think oh you are "settling for less" or "lowering expections"

Yeah and the people who protested civil rights in the 1960s, were just people. A fan's job is to be upset when things are going bad, and cheer when things are going good. Blindly supporting the team even when change needs to be made. Isn't what a fan should do. IMO. It seems we have an idealogical disconnect. Fans boycotted UK footbal in 2012. And got Joker fired. A message was sent to the AD. It can happen here. But fans are too overwhelmed with the ''SUPPORT NO MATTER WHAT'' mindset. Like voicing or protesting makes you a bad fan.

Yeah and the people who protested civil rights in the 1960s, were just people. A fan's job is to be upset when things are going bad, and cheer when things are going good. Blindly supporting the team even when change needs to be made. Isn't what a fan should do. IMO. It seems we have an idealogical disconnect. Fans boycotted UK footbal in 2012. And got Joker fired. A message was sent to the AD. It can happen here. But fans are too overwhelmed with the ''SUPPORT NO MATTER WHAT'' mindset. Like voicing or protesting makes you a bad fan.

People that make these threads are the same people that come 7:10pm next Thursday will be camped on their couch in front of the TV (or have made the trip to Pittsburgh) to support UK.

They are, by THEIR definition, doing the very same thing they are accusing everyone else of doing.

Unless you are planning to do what you say and what you can control (by not supporting the team), then I don't want to hear anything about lowering expectations or settling.

Joker had ZERO success as head coach of UK football. Cal has had some. It may have been in the distant past but he had some. Joker didn't have a lifetime contract either. The two situations are vastly different. Plus I'd argue the fans didn't get Joker fired but rather the crappy results did.

I think an Elite8 win is the absolute minimum for Cal to gain any sort of leeway. I'm not even sure it's enough. Really needs to be a final4. And even then, it doesn't erase some of these recent years. He's gotta do something this year AND next.

Reactions: mattrudd
You are aware that no team in the country has gone to the Elite Eight as much as Kentucky in the last 10 years? 2014, Final Game, 2015 Final Four, 2017 Elite Eight, 2019 Elite Eight. Take it back to Cal’s arrival and Kentucky has been to the Elite Eight seven times in 13 tournaments.
False. UK has 4 elite 8 apperances since 2014. 2014,2015,2017,2019

Duke has 4. 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022.
Kansas has 4. 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022.

Gonzaga has 4. 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

He hasn’t lowered mine one bit. Not that what I think carries any weight with the administration but I’ve always been title or bust for him for this season. I, like many others, was very excited to see what Cal would do with his hyped up Wagner class that we’ve all been waiting for and…

Another 10 loss season (unless he wins a national title). Calling him 10-Loss-Cal (XLC for short) isn’t even a joke anymore. He has all the tools and has gotten plenty of talent to coach. And if something is broken with his system that is keeping him from winning it is his responsibility to fix that. He has complete control over his staff (Mitch confirmed this) and he has complete control over who he recruits. If he can’t get it done anymore it’s time to move on.
Tubby 's 10 loss teams got 8 seeds, now a 10 loss team gets 4 seeds.
You can lose 7 and still get a 1.
You can lose 14 and still get an at large.
New reality in CBB.

Calipari has tried to win at every program he’s been at sure, but he’s also excellent at lowering standards at the same time. He’s made comments at times over the last 20 years that seem to explain it. He does not want high standards and I think he realized at some point in his tenure at UK that the standards we expected were too high. He’s slowly tried to do it here, and it has worked on some yes. But good to remember around Lexington and Kentucky I don’t know a single UK fan that wants him anymore. His tenure is about over too. I see no way after we flameout early he survives it. If he does, next year has to be the last.

It’s almost over.
I wish I could have faith that this is so...I'm about to give up the ghost

In the days of my youth, I was shown what it means to rule the land
Now I've come of age, I try to cheer on my team the best I can..
But no matter how loud I cheer we play our way into the same old jam

Good times, bad times
You know I've had my share.
Then Cal signed that lifetime contract
Now he don't seem to care.

Been 12 yrs. since we hung a banner for a Natty...
Now the only ones lovin' Cal all call him Daddy.
He swore we'd chase the bruins down; catch them in the end
Now he can't wait to get home; pet his 4-legged friends.

Oh, good times, bad times
And that's the last time he cared

Last edited:
If Cal has any chance at another title he better be able to make it through this bracket. Texas Tech or NC STATE shouldn't beat this team. Second weekend teams are stronger but it's Florida and Marquette at the bottom bracket. None of those teams should scare us but will have all the confidence in the world and these are dog fights. Cal is at a put up or shutup time for sure but maybe we get some kinda of special treatment because we need all the help we can get with this guy.

In the days of my youth, I was shown what it means to rule the land
Now I've come of age, I try to cheer on my team the best I can..
But no matter how loud I cheer we play our way into the same old jam

Good times, bad times
Now he don't seem to care.

Been 12 yrs. since we hung a banner for a Natty...
Now the only ones lovin' Cal all call him Daddy.
He swore we'd chase the bruins; catch them in the end
Now he can't wait to get home; pet his 4-legged friends.

Oh, good times, bad times
And that's the last time he cared

ok this was great hahahaha

If Cal has any chance at another title he better be able to make it through this bracket. Texas Tech or NC STATE shouldn't beat this team. Second weekend teams are stronger but it's Florida and Marquette at the bottom bracket. None of those teams should scare us but will have all the confidence in the world and these are dog fights. Cal is at a put up or shutup time for sure but maybe we get some kinda of special treatment because we need all the help we can get with this guy.

I feel like we are a weird team. We lose to teams this season we had no business losing to. We've beaten some teams tho that we probably had no business beating.

Winning at Auburn? They flashed the home record of Auburn the past few years........it was some insane record.
Winning at UT?
Winning on a neutral court vs UNC?

It's almost to the point I have more faith in this team beating a tough opponent than one like Texas Tech or NC State.

Explain ... because you can't have 6 NBA prospects and a Hall of Fame coach, as a 3 seed, and lose to either a 14, 6/11, and consider that acceptable after the downward spiral this program has been on when this was "the year" after landing the #1 class full of alleged studs, including 3 top 10 recruits paired with Reeves et al.

Yeah, tell me how "out of touch" I am ...

Explain ... because you can't have 6 NBA prospects and a Hall of Fame coach, as a 3 seed, and lose to either a 14, 6/11, and consider that acceptable after the downward spiral this program has been on when this was "the year" after landing the #1 class full of alleged studs, including 3 top 10 recruits paired with Reeves et al.

Yeah, tell me how "out of touch" I am ...

We are only going to be like a 2 point favorite vs Texas Tech. We could very much lose that game.

To me the 6 NBA prospects makes little difference when none of the six play at defense whatsoever lol.

This!!!! 💥

I watched and supported our team during the last years of Tubby, the 2 years of BCG and the couple down years we have had under Cal.

Did I cuss and complain, break stuff, and scream at my TV? Absolutely and plus more.

But I did I ever one time hope we would lose in order for my opinion to be correct??? Absolutely not. There’s a ton of people on here that root against us and claim to be fans.

I might catch 💩 for this but we would be much better off with supportive fans instead of egotistical fans who are only interested in their predictions to be correct.

It’s ok to not like Cal and want a different coach, it’s another story when you root against us and downplay anything positive because it affects the negative agenda you’re trying to push on everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT