ADVERTISEMENT

What's Happened?

Mar 12, 2005
I have no doubt we will win this game, but this team doesn't look at all the same as the one from the Bahamas. What has changed?

Good lord, stop talking about the Bahamas trip.

Those were just relaxed summer exhibitions at a Bahamian resort against teams that were missing players and playing relaxed defense at a lax pace, It's easy to look good in those kind of fun run games. But they were NOT real games, these are.

Y'all made WAY too much out of that trip. It did not mean what you thought it meant.

Last edited:
I don't know how many years it's going to take for people to understand that the Bahama's is not real basketball. The competition is P-A-I-D to be practice for Kentucky. They will never do anything that Cal doesn't want them to, that's why he doesn't even bother to sit on the bench. It's not competition, it's practice.

Oh for sure. I fully expect by March we'll be ready to go. I guess I really just didn't expect this team to be at the level they are. Bought too much into the hype, which I usually don't do.

Reactions: STL_Cat

Those were just relaxed summer exhibition games at a Bahamian resort against teams that were missing players and playing relaxed defense at a lax pace, It's easy to look good in those kind of fun run games. But they were NOT real games, these are.

Y'all made WAY too much out of that trip. It never meant what you thought it meant.

Too much made from Bahama's and too much made from a slow start. Once guys know the tendancy of other guys, we ramp up quickly. Have a great night and watch out for some guy on here looking to get busy with 80 year old women. [roll]

Zero from hero. Zero from pj. Made us look regressed again. But with the stuff we need get better on 1st, outside of turnovers, we pointing to right direction. We actually gave a damn when our defense was flopping in 2nd half. And got focused.

Those were just relaxed summer exhibition games at a Bahamian resort against teams that were missing players and playing relaxed defense at a lax pace, It's easy to look good in those kind of fun run games. But they were NOT real games, these are.

Y'all made WAY too much out of that trip. It did not mean what you thought it meant.
Kinda like BBM...

What happened is Duke took our manhood. The team is young (No excuse, I know) and the mental aspect is huge for a young team. These guys looked like their best friend just stole their girlfriend and made out with her in front of the entire student body.

Now, as for what happened between the Bahamas and the beginning of the season, I'd say it was overconfidence. They were reading their press clippings and hearing everyone pick them as the #1 team. They lost their edge and began to relax. Then they came out and Duke was beating them by 20 before the blinked.

I think this team will be fine with time. We've seen the potential and it's still there. But they've got to work harder at it than they may have originally thought.

I don't know how many years it's going to take for people to understand that the Bahama's is not real basketball. The competition is P-A-I-D to be practice for Kentucky. They will never do anything that Cal doesn't want them to, that's why he doesn't even bother to sit on the bench. It's not competition, it's practice.

What's the point then? A vacation for fans? Seems to me the only thing we gained was some water slides and a false sense of confidence.

If the NCAA only allows for one summer exhibition every four years... Because they see it as an advantage that needs to be limited.. Then let's make it an advantage!

We should go to Europe and let those east block countries rough us up. And then they all bond in the red light districts for an 80s-esque movie montague.

No? Last part was too far?

Probably true. Just seems a couple of kids have went backwards from there.

Reactions: JohnBlue_
This is true and it's nothing like playing good college teams from here. The level of competition is just not that good and more like sparring partners in boxing.

Reactions: JohnBlue_
What happened is Duke took our manhood. The team is young (No excuse, I know) and the mental aspect is huge for a young team. These guys looked like their best friend just stole their girlfriend and made out with her in front of the entire student body.

Now, as for what happened between the Bahamas and the beginning of the season, I'd say it was overconfidence. They were reading their press clippings and hearing everyone pick them as the #1 team. They lost their edge and began to relax. Then they came out and Duke was beating them by 20 before the blinked.

I think this team will be fine with time. We've seen the potential and it's still there. But they've got to work harder at it than they may have originally thought.
This, plus the fact that this team was no where near the No. 2 team in the nation.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
What's the point then? A vacation for fans? Seems to me the only thing we gained was some water slides and a false sense of confidence.

If the NCAA only allows for one summer exhibition every four years... Because they see it as an advantage that needs to be limited.. Then let's make it an advantage!

We should go to Europe and let those east block countries rough us up. And then they all bond in the red light districts for an 80s-esque movie montague.

No? Last part was too far?

The reason they go is because they can, I mean it's free practice that they can't do at home too.

The Duke game was the best outcome possible for this team to reach their full potential. If overconfidence was the problem then it shouldn’t be the rest of the way. If they hadn’t taken that beating and luckily made it closer then I doubt it would have resonated with them.

Talk about a teaching tool, Cal has one because they can’t brush him off and all he has to do is mention 32 pets. So if you’re into end of the season results more than an early season game then consider that game the best scenario. If they had beat Duke there is no way they make it through March.

Then he should of had those teams playing to beat us because those games didn’t help us much at all.. maybe if we had gotten beat then.... we’d of learned how much better we needed to get before the Tuesday massacre happened

Reactions: kev69
Cal said players were mad when he tried to hold them accountable. Players trying to mouth off at the HOF coach? Not sure what to think of that. Coach is the one who gets mad and tells players what to do, not the other way around.

Cal needs to be very aggressive with this team if they are to reach their potential. This isn't a squad where he can be on cruise control. Discipline must be instilled in them.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Well you and everyone else that watched those games thought we looked good and if you say we didn’t then I would have to say you’re not being honest! The reason it’s talked about is because it HAPPENED!! It happened and we all watched it. Of course we all know those teams weren’t world beaters, but we still looked together and on the same page. I’m sorry you and a couple other guys on here that think they have to tell everyone how to think about our teams, how to react to games and how to just discuss things the way you want us to, are better and smarter fans than everyone else , but we all know basketball if we know anything. Of course There’s a few that sure shouldn’t even have a computer but most Kentucky fans know basketball pretty well. Anyway it is what it is man and like it or not this is a place to discuss with our brothers what’s going on with the cats. So Climb down off that high horse that you and a couple others are on and quit telling everyone to do it your way or no way.

Well you and everyone else that watched those games thought we looked good and if you say we didn’t then I would have to say you’re not being honest! The reason it’s talked about is because it HAPPENED!! It happened and we all watched it. Of course we all know those teams weren’t world beaters, but we still looked together and on the same page. I’m sorry you and a couple other guys on here that think they have to tell everyone how to think about our teams, how to react to games and how to just discuss things the way you want us to, are better and smarter fans than everyone else , but we all know basketball if we know anything. Of course There’s a few that sure shouldn’t even have a computer but most Kentucky fans know basketball pretty well. Anyway it is what it is man and like it or not this is a place to discuss with our brothers what’s going on with the cats. So Climb down off that high horse that you and a couple others are on and quit telling everyone to do it your way or no way.

Damn dude. I didn’t think his post was that offensive lol.

Damn dude. I didn’t think his post was that offensive lol.
lol I know I went a little too hard at him. I really didn’t mean to be that bad to him cause you’re right, what he said wasn’t that bad. Just read some lately too bossy and shouldn’t have took it out on him. Sorry John , I shouldn’t have said that to you. But to the ones I was talking to , it stands and worse!! Lol. I’ll not mention all the names but I’m sure everyone has them.

lol I know I went a little too hard at him. I really didn’t mean to be that bad to him cause you’re right, what he said wasn’t that bad. Just read some lately too bossy and shouldn’t have took it out on him. Sorry John , I shouldn’t have said that to you. But to the ones I was talking to , it stands and worse!! Lol. I’ll not mention all the names but I’m sure everyone has them.
Thanks Wildcat. lol

Bingo. Just need to add John Blue’s point about the Bahamas being scrimmage games.

I would point out that if you break tonight’s game down in 10 min sections, that last 10 min was pretty interesting.

I think you are missing the point. You post an opinion on a fan board, it will get rebuttal. You post a negative opinion on a fan board you will get vehement rebuttal. You try to tell people how the team sucks. They are going to advise you just how wrong you are. The ones one the high horse are the ones expecting to trash the team unchallenged. John was dead on the money. Those August games are just short of scripted. You want to know why we look different after August? Simple. The teams after August were hell bent to take us out of our game. Sometimes I think fans forget when we play regular season, the other team wants to win too.

Reactions: thepip
I think you are missing the point. You post an opinion on a fan board, it will get rebuttal. You post a negative opinion on a fan board you will get vehement rebuttal. You try to tell people how the team sucks. They are going to advise you just how wrong you are. The ones one the high horse are the wones expecting to trash the team unchallenged. John was dead on the money. Those August games are just short of scripted. You want to know why we look different after August? Simple. The teams after August were hell bent to take us out of our game. Sometimes I think fans forget when we play regular season, the other team wants to win too.
I think you are missing the point. You post an opinion on a fan board, it will get rebuttal. You post a negative opinion on a fan board you will get vehement rebuttal. You try to tell people how the team sucks. They are going to advise you just how wrong you are. The ones one the high horse are the ones expecting to trash the team unchallenged. John was dead on the money. Those August games are just short of scripted. You want to know why we look different after August? Simple. The teams after August were hell bent to take us out of our game. Sometimes I think fans forget when we play regular season, the other team wants to win too.
. I wasn’t missing any points. I never posted on this before that post. Had no veiw either way. I think we’re fine as a team and will get better every game and had nothing negative ever to say about the cats or cal. What I was getting at was everyone telling people how to post and just because they don’t agree, they still have a right to post and talk about it. I didn’t say anything about the team sucking and you never saw me say anything negative. So I don’t know how your putting me in with the negative Nancy group because I’m sure not. I’m just all about people having opinions and discussion about the cats. Not about some thinking if you don’t think like I do then you stupid. You know being grown up folks talking about the cats. Thank u for trying get you some likes or whatever u were trying to do. Lol. Actually I do agree with most of your post and I think you may have misunderstood me and what I was trying to say. Maybe not but either way it’s cool. Later. Bro.

. I wasn’t missing any points. I never posted on this before that post. Had no veiw either way. I think we’re fine as a team and will get better every game and had nothing negative ever to say about the cats or cal. What I was getting at was everyone telling people how to post and just because they don’t agree, they still have a right to post and talk about it. I didn’t say anything about the team sucking and you never saw me say anything negative. So I don’t know how your putting me in with the negative Nancy group because I’m sure not. I’m just all about people having opinions and discussion about the cats. Not about some thinking if you don’t think like I do then you stupid. You know being grown up folks talking about the cats. Thank u for trying get you some likes or whatever u were trying to do. Lol. Actually I do agree with most of your post and I think you may have misunderstood me and what I was trying to say. Maybe not but either way it’s cool. Later. Bro.

No I don’t see any evidence you understood a word. I wasn’t talking about a thing you said negative or positive about the team. I said your post about John’s comment was completely wrong. What I also said is that the Nancy boys don’t like rebuttal. Clearly, you don’t like rebuttal either. You post an opinion, it’s going to get challenged. Your opinion got challenged. John’s opinion was absolutely correct. The August trips are nothing but a scrimmage. We have a group for years now that thinks they are somehow an objective assessment of the team. It’s laughable. August is a wonderful opportunity to practice early. Period. Absolutely nothing more.

I have no doubt we will win this game, but this team doesn't look at all the same as the one from the Bahamas. What has changed?

I think they got full of themselves actually. That's my honest opinion and its partly our fault. We built them up to be worldbeaters before the first tipoff and they bought into it as well. I think Cal bought into it also and pulled the reigns back on them thinking they were better than they were. I think that Duke game will help us in the long run. They needed to be humbled, including Cal, and that's exactly what happened against Duke. I think its refocused them but most importantly, its refocused Cal and now he will work his magic on this group. It's going to take time to get by that Duke loss, it's just going to take a few games. Cal is the best at what the team needs. We built those guys up after the Bahamas trip and alot of them bought into it. Now, theyve been humbled and will get to work. I still like this team and I still think we will be an elite team come March. No way that Cal doesnt get this group and this talent to be great. No way he doesnt. Just wait and see my friends!

No I don’t see any evidence you understood a word. I wasn’t talking about a thing you said negative or positive about the team. I said your post about John’s comment was completely wrong. What I also said is that the Nancy boys don’t like rebuttal. Clearly, you don’t like rebuttal either. You post an opinion, it’s going to get challenged. Your opinion got challenged. John’s opinion was absolutely correct. The August trips are nothing but a scrimmage. We have a group for years now that thinks they are somehow an objective assessment of the team. It’s laughable. August is a wonderful opportunity to practice early. Period. Absolutely nothing more.
.i Agee my post to John was wrong and I’m sure you already read that I apologized to him, but since your feeling so tough. Of course the August trips are scrimmages !! So what ! What’s your point ? Of course it’s time to practice! No one in their right minds think it’s a finish’s product. Do u think your the only one who can understand and take those games for what they were ? People can talk about what they see and the differences each time we see them. What’s laughable is you thinking you’re the only one smart enough to be able to comprehend what’s happening in the world of Ky basketball. What I said to John actually had nothing to do with his post about the summer trip. It was about some people telling others not to talk about things they wanted to, and if they don’t believe how they do, then they are wrong. Wasn’t really about the August trip or games so far either. I’m sure you knew that Though. Goodnight challenger.

1. We did look good, I never said we didn't. All these guys looked awesome in highlight reels too.

2. This is an opinion board, the OP asked a question and I provided my opinion of the answer.

3. The only person that has mentioned to other fans how, when, and what to post is yourself.

Then he should of had those teams playing to beat us because those games didn’t help us much at all.. maybe if we had gotten beat then.... we’d of learned how much better we needed to get before the Tuesday massacre happened

I don't think they needed to be beat, it was practice. The only thing that he might should have done is found his starting roster. The group he started against duke are not his best five. Hagans for some reason isn't ready right now and neither is Herro, playing those two as much as he did hurt the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT