ADVERTISEMENT

No Gimme Games in this Conference

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I'd say this is a lesson every team in the conference should learn right now, if they haven't learned it already. The moment you relax and think the game should be an easy win, you probably just lost. UK isn't the only team that has been bitten by this attitude. I'm looking at this conference and can't find an easy win, especially on the road.

Thinking of the game Wednesday night for UK, it would be an easy thing for UK to think "We beat these guys in Gainesville, this should be no problem." I doubt the team will be thinking that, but human nature is hard to fight sometimes.

After losing 2 times to inferior opponents that played way above their normal level, Cal should have no problem preparing these kids for what is ahead of them. I would love for our team to get back to the attitude that these teams want what we already have, so we need to play at a level that will make sure they don’t have that opportunity.

That is UK Basketball!!!!

Last edited:
This is the toughest the SEC has been in a long time. You got 4 good-to-great teams: UK, Tenn, Auburn, and Bama. Then a whole lot of evenly matched teams with experience and strength. There’s really only 3 absolute dud teams this year, but you can’t even take them for granted.

Whoever comes out on top, will have gone through a meat grinder.

ESPN has us winning 6 and losing 5 games to end the season. 2 losses to UT, loss to Auburn, Alabama and Mississippi St. I don’t know but could happen if we play like we have been lately.

I'd say this is a lesson every team in the conference should learn right now, if they haven't learned it already. The moment you relax and think the game should be an easy win, you probably just lost. UK isn't the only team that has been bitten by this attitude. I'm looking at this conference and can't find an easy win, especially on the road.

Thinking of the game Wednesday night for UK, it would be an easy thing for UK to think "We beat these guys in Gainesville, this should be no problem." I doubt the team will be thinking that, but human nature is hard to fight sometimes.
If this team is looking past Florida to UT, it certainly could be a long night.

If Vandy is not a gimme at Rupp, then I don't know what is.

And Vandy is not the Vandy of the past few years, which was more then formidable in the SEC.

They are downright awful.

There were more gimme games for sure when we were more dominant than we are. Some of the teams have made up some ground and we've come back to the pack to a degree as well. Especially in the last few years.

After losing 2 times to inferior opponents that played way above their normal level, Cal should have no problem preparing these kids for what is ahead of them. I would love for our team to get back to the attitude that these teams want what we already have, so we need to play at a level that will make sure they don’t have that opportunity.

That is UK Basketball!!!!
it’s been 15 years, not sure why this would change after 2 road losses

I hope by now our young guys understand that if they do not prepare to bring it from the Tip to the final buzzer then any team in this league (Vandy, Arkansas included) can beat you on any given night.

That being said, even if we are prepared there are legit 8 teams to 9 teams that if we do our best and they play their best can still be in the game and have a chance to win.

Now is the time we need to start seeing every guy in Royal Blue and White, going for every 50/50 ball. Boxing out on rebounds, keeping their men in front of them. All should now be prepared to start going 110% for as long as they can and ask Cal to take them out for a break and then ask to go back in when ready.

No lollygagging ever. You know what that would make them....lollygaggers. No place for lollygagging.

I think Edwards is going to have a good game tomorrow. Cal knows what he's doing. He just needs to get in the right mindset and Cal will have him ready. DJ is coming along great, too. He should start and handle the PG duties for the whole game. He just needs more time to get into the flow of things. Easy 10 point win.

There would be some gimmie games if the true beast that is this team was released.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I think Edwards is going to have a good game tomorrow. Cal knows what he's doing. He just needs to get in the right mindset and Cal will have him ready. DJ is coming along great, too. He should start and handle the PG duties for the whole game. He just needs more time to get into the flow of things. Easy 10 point win.
Nice try! Not taking the bait

Reactions: CatsDomain
But we don’t get credit for it. Losses drop a team way more in the SEC as compared to the BIG 12 and ACC. Just the way it is.
True story here: UK went 1-1 last week losing at SC and winning at Arkansas. KU went 1-1 winning at home by a slim margin over a very subpar cincy team and losing at Iowa state. We drop 4, they don’t move at all and Iowa state awarded with a jump of 11 spots. South Carolina isn’t even awarded a spot in the top 25 even though they have a better record than Iowa state and their one common opponent (VA Tech) South Carolina beat and Iowa state lost too. Duke jumping 5 spots after a bailout win is just what we all have come to expect.

You are funny Mike. I got a good laugh.

Reactions: Mike-McD

This is spot on. Maybe Mizzou, Vandy and Arky fall into the category of teams you can play really poorly and still beat… but the rest of these teams are no joke... including LSU.

I can see anywhere from 8-10 SEC teams in the dance.

The league also seems to have better schedule balance this year compared to seasons past.

This is spot on. Maybe Mizzou, Vandy and Arky fall into the category of teams you can play really poorly and still beat… but the rest of these teams are no joke... including LSU.

I can see anywhere from 8-10 SEC teams in the dance.

The league also seems to have better schedule balance this year compared to seasons past.

I agree those 3 teams are probably close to sure wins if you play well and even if you dont. If UK doesn't beat Vandys ass this year we never will again.

True story here: UK went 1-1 last week losing at SC and winning at Arkansas. KU went 1-1 winning at home by a slim margin over a very subpar cincy team and losing at Iowa state. We drop 4, they don’t move at all and Iowa state awarded with a jump of 11 spots. South Carolina isn’t even awarded a spot in the top 25 even though they have a better record than Iowa state and their one common opponent (VA Tech) South Carolina beat and Iowa state lost too. Duke jumping 5 spots after a bailout win is just what we all have come to expect.

breaking-bad-skinny-pete.gif

Man I remember some of Cals early years, the SEC was just so mediocre. Some if these teams just had such little talent, that it was only a matter of time before we would wear them down. I recall LSU in the late 2000s early 2010s just bring atrocious.

Kind of makes you wonder.. put say the Knight team in this era, and this team in that era.. how does each fair? I gotta say, I'm not sure if the 2011, 2014 make the tournament. 2016, 2017, 2018.. all struggle as well (but I think the SEC was starting to improve then).

For the old timers.. what was the SEC like back in the 90s, 80s, 70s and beyond? I know you had some good runs from the likes of LSU and Arky.

Very true.

Man I remember some of Cals early years, the SEC was just so mediocre. Some if these teams just had such little talent, that it was only a matter of time before we would wear them down. I recall LSU in the late 2000s early 2010s just bring atrocious.

Kind of makes you wonder.. put say the Knight team in this era, and this team in that era.. how does each fair? I gotta say, I'm not sure if the 2011, 2014 make the tournament. 2016, 2017, 2018.. all struggle as well (but I think the SEC was starting to improve then).

For the old timers.. what was the SEC like back in the 90s, 80s, 70s and beyond? I know you had some good runs from the likes of LSU and Arky.
I'm not old, but I'm not exactly young. The SEC was pretty tough in the 70s-90s. Lots of good teams and players. And we were always the highlight of their seasons. If Cal thinks we're everyone's Super Bowl now, he should have caught a game or two against UT in Stokely. And we never get a favorable whistle.

USC alot better than credit given.
Definitely. Winning a home game over a good team is one thing. Winning one on the road is even more impressive. Their defense is legitimate. They could very well win the SEC if they keep playing like this. I'd say the danger for them comes when they start getting the respect they deserve and become the hunted rather than the hunter. They've been playing the disrespect card heavily. Their coach has been using it to motivate them and they've responded well. But what happens when that card can't be played anymore?

Still, they should be a top 25 team, easily, maybe even top 10.

I'm not old, but I'm not exactly young. The SEC was pretty tough in the 70s-90s. Lots of good teams and players. And we were always the highlight of their seasons. If Cal thinks we're everyone's Super Bowl now, he should have caught a game or two against UT in Stokely. And we never get a favorable whistle.
Yeah, I started watching SEC basketball in the late 70s and early 80s. You're right, there were some good players and teams in those days.

Here is the difference in my opinion- it's the depth of the conference. Back then, it was UK, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn a few years, and Florida sometimes. Vandy was almost always bad. Ole Miss was always bad. Miss St was always bad. Alabama was a football school and didn't care about basketball. Georgia was not very good usually. Arkansas before Nolan Richardson was rarely any good. So, you get free wins. Now the talent is spread around and there just aren't easy wins on the schedule. I just watched Ole Miss and Miss St play and those teams are both solid. Vandy and Missouri aren't very good this season but they're not bad, either.

The SEC has always fielded about 3 or 4 teams that could beat us on the right night, but I agree the bottom half of league is a vast improvement from past years,excluding Vandy and Mizou this year,everybody else is very capable of beating us or anyone else in SEC. Even Vandy could be a little nervous playing in that vile opera house of thiers. Whoever wins it this year will have earned it

This is the toughest the SEC has been in a long time. You got 4 good-to-great teams: UK, Tenn, Auburn, and Bama. Then a whole lot of evenly matched teams with experience and strength. There’s really only 3 absolute dud teams this year, but you can’t even take them for granted.

Whoever comes out on top, will have gone through a meat grinder.
I'd say add South Carolina to the top 5 in the SEC, going by their play of late. They're really good, as we found out.

I'd say add South Carolina to the top 5 in the SEC, going by their play of late. They're really good, as we found out.
I agree but when you look at their schedule it's truly just the last 2 weeks (4 games) where they've gone to this new level. If they keep it up, their remaining schedule makes them a contender. They only have one harsh road game left (at Auburn). But if they remember they're South Carolina basketball and drop a couple stupid games, they're back on the outside looking in. Time will tell.

Yeah, I started watching SEC basketball in the late 70s and early 80s. You're right, there were some good players and teams in those days.

Here is the difference in my opinion- it's the depth of the conference. Back then, it was UK, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn a few years, and Florida sometimes. Vandy was almost always bad. Ole Miss was always bad. Miss St was always bad. Alabama was a football school and didn't care about basketball. Georgia was not very good usually. Arkansas before Nolan Richardson was rarely any good. So, you get free wins. Now the talent is spread around and there just aren't easy wins on the schedule. I just watched Ole Miss and Miss St play and those teams are both solid. Vandy and Missouri aren't very good this season but they're not bad, either.
Richardson was already coaching Arkansas when they joined the SEC. Wimp Sanderson lead Alabama to 11 wins against KY which I assume is the most of any Bama coach, and they seemed to always be good and were usually a tournament team back then.
Georgia had Dominique Wilkins.
The SEC was a lot better back then than what people realize.
I’ve watched KY and SEC basketball for a long time and don’t buy into that the league is tougher now. We were just more dominant over the rest of the league during that time. You had Barkley and Wilkins (2 of the NBA’s 50 best players) come from other SEC schools during that time.
Now we gotta worry about slowing down Knecht at TN as opposed to those 2 guys 😂

Last edited:
If Vandy is not a gimme at Rupp, then I don't know what is.

And Vandy is not the Vandy of the past few years, which was more then formidable in the SEC.

They are downright awful.
That is true but that’s one of the few he was talking about
I agree but when you look at their schedule it's truly just the last 2 weeks (4 games) where they've gone to this new level. If they keep it up, their remaining schedule makes them a contender. They only have one harsh road game left (at Auburn). But if they remember they're South Carolina basketball and drop a couple stupid games, they're back on the outside looking in. Time will tell.
whatever they have found, it’s good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT