ADVERTISEMENT

A zone won't work either

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
I was thinking, call up Jimmy Boeheim and get him to consult on a zone. But as I was thinking, it occurred to be that the same problems we have on m2m would be the safe deficiencies we would have in a zone. A zone is essentially a soft m2m, sagging and semi-floating. Well, that's basically what's getting our m2m in trouble. Nobody can stay on their man, which leads to too many open looks. Our guys just don't pride in locking someone down. This is really odd for a Cal team. I don't know if this is ultimately on the coach(s) or the players, but it will be why this team doesn't make it past opening weekend. In short, it's easy to want to try a zone, but it wouldn't do a lick of good, IMO. Opponents would still get too many open looks.

That's why you mix and match. You don't keep one defensive strategy for an entire game. Press, half-court trap, throw in zone, 2-3, 3-2, back to man. All you're doing is confusing the offense. You'll get an extra 5 stops out of it minimal. You can't keep giving up over 90 points in games, and pretend like man is the only thing we can try.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
The zone could block guys from driving to the basket.
The secret to a good zone is WHEN to use it!
Catch teams off guard with it and turnovers will occur...
This team throwing a zone would throw teams off for a bit. Slow them down

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT