ADVERTISEMENT

Victor Wembanyama Already Being Exposed

Who said he would be better than LeBron? I'm not doubting that someone said it; I'm just curious to see who would be so idiotic, and make their unrivaled idiocy public for the world to see.
He's got a hell of a year ahead of him if he can come in better than MJ who led the league in total points his rookie season, scored 28 a game and lead his team in rebounds, assists, and was second on his team in blocks. 28/6/6/2.5/1 in pts assists rebounds steals and blocks.

Edit: and 33 games with 30+. I mean MJ is/was on another level.

Last edited:
I think it is way too early to forecast his eventual impact on the game; however, his performance last night didn't come close to living up to the hype regardless of what he eventually does.
Yeah, offensively for sure. That’s going to take time. Brian Windhorst covered him extensively in France and admitted it will take 2-3 years for him to become an impact player on the offensive end. But you already see the shot blocking prowess. I think he ends up playing center on defense and, barring gaining 30 lbs., plays facing the basket on offense. Which in the modern NBA will suit him just fine.

He's got a hell of a year ahead of him if he can come in better than MJ who lead the league in total points his rookie season, scored 28 a game and lead his team in rebounds, assists, and was second on his team in blocks. 28/6/6/2.5/1 in pts assists rebounds steals and blocks.

Edit: and 33 games with 30+. I mean MJ is/was on another level.
MJ is the best to have ever played the game and it isn't even close. The Pistons tried to break him early in his career and they couldn't. These young players today couldn't handle the crap MJ had to deal with.

MJ is the best to have ever played the game and it isn't even close. The Pistons tried to break him early in his career and they couldn't. These young players today couldn't handle the crap MJ had to deal with.
Would love to see MJ play today in an age where the badboys of Detroit weren't able to get away with legitimately trying to injure him in every game. He might have averaged 40-45 his rookie season with that kind of freedom of movement. While I think it's hard to judge different eras and truly label a GOAT, MJ is still the best I've ever seen, and I agree it's not particularly close.

Might also point out that he averaged 22/10/3 in his French pro league last year. Won MVP and Defensive POTY. If he stays healthy, his floor and ceiling are both pretty high.

Remember how skinny AD was at UK? He also had a pretty avg face up game. We had him while he was pretty raw at UK.

Look at him now. His body was totally transformed. He has put on 40-50 pounds. If VW can add muscle to his frame I don't see how he won't be a great player barring some sort of catastrophic injury.

VW really made the execute he wasn’t ready……. Like he hasn’t been playing pro ball since 15 lol. The excuses will keep coming all season long. Media overhyped him to the point if he doesn’t have a LBJ type rookie season than he’s a bust.

VW really made the execute he wasn’t ready……. Like he hasn’t been playing pro ball since 15 lol. The excuses will keep coming all season long. Media overhyped him to the point if he doesn’t have a LBJ type rookie season than he’s a bust.
I get doubting the hype but you seem to actually be wishing for his failure, for him to be a bust. Seems pretty weird, seems like a good kid, where does the animosity come from?

I, like you, doubt he ends up MJ/LBJ level. As far as I've seen he's very level headed and isn't himself touting how good he is or projects to be. So if the issue is everyone hyping him up why are you putting that on the kid?

Dude has 5pts 1-10fg, 0-5 3pt, 2 ast, 8 reb, 5blk

His jumpshot and is garbage and he’s getting bodied by Brandon Miller in the summer league game. Feel bad that people hyped him up to be the next big thing and he will end up being the biggest bust.
If you watched and think he will be a bust not sure what to say. His jumper needs a little work but he can do things not many can do. He had 5 blocks that looked easy. He mat never be Mike or LeBron but there only been 1 of each. The Greek free would eat his lunch at this point, but he will develop. I enjoy the NBA so I'll be watching, not just turning on ESPN to hate

Reactions: Texcat59
One game… but many adjustments needed coming from a French league. Needs to set his feet and/or square his body on his shots. Even when Curry or Harden take crazy shots, they’ll do one of those two things.

Nothing coaching can’t fix, hopefully.

I get doubting the hype but you seem to actually be wishing for his failure, for him to be a bust. Seems pretty weird, seems like a good kid, where does the animosity come from?

I, like you, doubt he ends up MJ/LBJ level. As far as I've seen he's very level headed and isn't himself touting how good he is or projects to be. So if the issue is everyone hyping him up why are you putting that on the kid?
Because the kid will get full of himself and actually believe he’s that good when he’s clearly not ready to make a huge impact. The media are making it seem he will be better than LBJ and MJ and it’s clearly not the case. I feel bad for him because if he doesn’t live up to that hype he will be written as the biggest bust in modern basketball history……

Remember what Giannis looked like before putting on a ton of weight?
However, Giannis worked for the accolades he received after establishing himself in the league. As I recall, Giannis wasn't labeled as transformative before playing his first game.

If you watched and think he will be a bust not sure what to say. His jumper needs a little work but he can do things not many can do. He had 5 blocks that looked easy. He mat never be Mike or LeBron but there only been 1 of each. The Greek free would eat his lunch at this point, but he will develop. I enjoy the NBA so I'll be watching, not just turning on ESPN to hate
Manute Bol blocked a lot of shots too which is the least you should be able to do when you are that tall. So, shot blocking at his size isn't considered transformative. Wilt Chamberlain did that many years ago.

Because the kid will get full of himself and actually believe he’s that good when he’s clearly not ready to make a huge impact. The media are making it seem he will be better than LBJ and MJ and it’s clearly not the case. I feel bad for him because if he doesn’t live up to that hype he will be written as the biggest bust in modern basketball history……
Maybe just maybe you put to much value into what the media puts out for public consumption. You need to understand the media has an agenda to make money and to sell articles and etc to the public.

Your job as a free thinking individual is to filter through all the munbo jumbo and see things for what they are. The media is going to hype up every new player as the next big thing because it helps them make money.

A rational thinking person understands this and understands that time is the key ingredient needed for coming to a conclusion on the matter in this instance. If Victor doesnt put up good numbers this year I dont think he should automatically be considered a bust.

Thats a very shallow way of looking at topics and life in general. Let things play out and quit thinking in such extreme all or nothing terms would be my advice for you. The only expectations that really matter are that persons expectations for their own selves.

I get doubting the height but you seem to actually be wishing for his failure, for him to be a bust. Seems pretty weird, seems like a good kid, where does the animosity come from?

I, like you, doubt he ends up MJ/LBJ level. As far as I've seen he's very level headed and isn't himself touting how good he is or projects to be. So if the issue is everyone hyping him up why are you putting that on the

Manute Bol blocked a lot of shots too which is the least you should be able to do when you are that tall. So, shot blocking at his size isn't considered transformative. Wilt Chamberlain did that many years ago.
I don't think it's fair to Wemby to get the LeBron hyping but the draft happens when it happens and there is nothing else going on so the hype got out of control. He is tall as heck and is fluid with the ball. He definitely has skill. I hope he pulls it off. The probability of him being LeBron or better is 2 out of how ever many people have picked up a ball and there is 6.5 billion alive right now so I don't know maybe 100 billion people have lived on earth just guessing. Jordan being the only one better so 2 of 100 billion. Chances are he isn't but could actually pull it off. Don't know about you but I love anything elite, the best of the best. Who do you think takes the torch from Bron-Bron

Maybe just maybe you put to much value into what the media puts out for public consumption. You need to understand the media has an agenda to make money and to sell articles and etc to the public.

Your job as a free thinking individual is to filter through all the munbo jumbo and see things for what they are. The media is going to hype up every new player as the next big thing because it helps them make money.

A rational thinking person understands this and understands that time is the key ingredient needed for coming to a conclusion on the matter in this instance. If Victor doesnt put up good numbers this year I dont think he should automatically be considered a bust.

Thats a very shallow way of looking at topics and life in general. Let things play out and quit thinking in such extreme all or nothing terms would be my advice for you. The only expectations that really matter are that persons expectations for their own selves.
You should slow your roll and respect the fact that all posters on this site have a right to provide their opinions even if others don't agree with it.

I don't think it's fair to Wemby to get the LeBron hyping but the draft happens when it happens and there is nothing else going on so the hype got out of control. He is tall as heck and is fluid with the ball. He definitely has skill. I hope he pulls it off. The probability of him being LeBron or better is 2 out of how ever many people have picked up a ball and there is 6.5 billion alive right now so I don't know maybe 100 billion people have lived on earth just guessing. Jordan being the only one better so 2 of 100 billion. Chances are he isn't but could actually pull it off. Don't know about you but I love anything elite, the best of the best. Who do you think takes the torch from Bron-Bron
At this point, I really don't know who will take the torch. However, whoever does it will earn it on the court and not get it from a bunch of talking hype machines called sports reporters.

Some frames aren’t made to hold the extra weight he will HAVE to put on. I’m hoping he doesn’t have foot issues like most guys his size do. He will need to learn to not bang so much and use his length to shoot over people more, which that will come in time.

As far as being MJ/LBJ level, not a chance, even if he never suffers one injury in his career.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on him and wishing him the best.

Despite the NBA being softer than it used to be, it's still more physical than the European leagues.

He may or may not adjust, but will take a few. Took Giannis a bit too.

Reactions: Riddickulis
You should slow your roll and respect the fact that all posters on this site have a right to provide their opinions even if others don't agree with it.
Yeah I respect that. Its exactly what I did. Thank you sir.

He isn't built like Kevin Durant in my opinion. He looks similar now because he is so young. Kevin looked like he couldn't put on weight his upper body looked like it went in not out. If I punched him in the chest it would have killed him. Webby doesn't look like that to me. He maybe able to add much needed weight and perhaps get to Greek Freak size. Not lose any mobility. I liked the way he moves with the ball. Pop is a good coach and great mentor I hope he listens. He also seems very humble. He even said he has no clue what he is doing out there right now. He is a baby yall. Barly 18 I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lempface and rob_47
I was actually pretty impressed with Wemby last night. You can tell he's going to be a problem on defense. In one play be blocks Brandon Miller's 3pt shot (already an absurd thing to do), catches the pass back in transition, moves to the basket, and has the IQ to dump it off for what would have been an easy assist if the ball dropped in the basket..

The shots will fall, it was his first game.

Reactions: Lempface
Crazy Britney curse? lol
Like Chet, looks like a dang skeleton out there.

I don't understand the allure of these players. Yes, they're tall. So good for defense. But they're toothpicks. If you sneeze it looks like they'd break.

They'd never survive in the 90's NBA

That being said, I think he will develop well. But it's going to be a huge adjustment. There are some BIG dudes in the NBA. I mean Doncic at Dallas is a wall. Can you imagine Wemb stopping that? Yeah, he's got 6" on him, but Doncic is like 230 pounds at 6'7". And is built. That's a big dude playing PG.

Last edited:
I was actually pretty impressed with Wemby last night. You can tell he's going to be a problem on defense. In one play be blocks Brandon Miller's 3pt shot (already an absurd thing to do), catches the pass back in transition, moves to the basket, and has the IQ to dump it off for what would have been an easy assist if the ball dropped in the basket..

The shots will fall, it was his first game.
Snap judgements over one summer league game. Pretty on brand for Rafters lol. I agree with you though, and I think we have to give him at least 3 years to see what he's really going to be.

Reactions: KentuckyGentleman
I have to chuckle at these posts. The man is playing pickup ball with a team he hasn't practiced with. And he's on his first "NBA" stage to a sold out arena. His ball handling and passing are superior for a big man. He just seemed a bit confused, and sometimes lost with the sets...as did many of the folks out there. Give it some time. He will be fine if he stays healthy. He will make a lot of people fill silly soon.

I have to chuckle at these posts. The man is playing pickup ball with a team he hasn't practiced with. And he's on his first "NBA" stage to a sold out arena. His ball handling and passing are superior for a big man. He just seemed a bit confused, and sometimes lost with the sets...as did many of the folks out there. Give it some time. He will be fine if he stays healthy. He will make a lot of people fill silly soon.
+100

I remember Summer League "legend" Anthony Randolph dropping 40 and being the next big thing. Or Anthony Bennett one of the biggest busts ever (should've gone to UK) looking like a mix of Larry Johnson from UNLV and Charles Barkley in Summer League. I mean there were some sick Lakers fans chanting "MVP" when Max Christie was shooting FT's last night. LOL

Do like that the NBA always pits the top picks against each other as a Summer "teaser". Fun to see the matchups and how crowd gets into it.

Not going to judge someone off Summer League unless they are vets still playing in it and still suck.

Reactions: UK90
Lonzo Ball looked like God in summer league a few years ago and now he's almost out of the league.
You would've thought that NBA scouts would've know that when Fox embarrassed him.

Beginning to think NBA scout and clueless are starting to be synonymous.

I mean some NBA "experts" were saying Maxey wouldn't be a factor.

Well, a lot of us who watched him play night in and night out knew better.

I just don't get what some of those scouts look for I guess.

He isn't built like Kevin Durant in my opinion. He looks similar now because he is so young. Kevin looked like he couldn't put on weight his upper body looked like it went in not out. If I punched him in the chest it would have killed him. Webby doesn't look like that to me. He maybe able to add much needed weight and perhaps get to Greek Freak size. Not lose any mobility. I liked the way he moves with the ball. Pop is a good coach and great mentor I hope he listens. He also seems very humble. He even said he has no clue what he is doing out there right now. He is a baby yall. Barly 18 I think.

He’s 19 but I agree with what you said.

This forum is at least consistent in jumping to conclusions. More than half of this group think Bradshaw will miss games 4 months from now

Sports Talk 980 in the Baltimore & DC market was hyping him up to be the most transformative player to ever play the game.
Who knows? Guess we'll see. I didn't see last night, but sounded like much more than an off night. I'll reserve judgment for a while. Will be surprised if he isn't at least better than Zion.

However, Giannis worked for the accolades he received after establishing himself in the league. As I recall, Giannis wasn't labeled as transformative before playing his first game.

Sure... but I really was only referring to their bodies. Wemby can certainly gain some weight and take that same leap.

Reactions: LmdCat
No he’s a bust remember he was better than LeBron and MJ….. dude scored 9pts on 2-13 shooting. It’s the summer league, wait until he’s playing against veteran bigs.
Who exactly are you claiming is saying this? I’ve been following this kid for a while and never once heard anyone say “he wad better than LeBron and MJ” … as you’ve been claiming throughout this thread.

And, I’m sorry, but you declaring a teenage kid to be “a bust” simply because he had a cold shooting night in his first summer league run is profoundly stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT