ADVERTISEMENT

Victor Wembanyama Already Being Exposed

Summer League very rarely has any significant translation to NBA success or lack thereof, but there are clearly some more glaring holes in his game than people may have thought. The shot isn't a strength yet, and he appears to be very turnover prone.
The fact people said he was better than LeBron coming into the league is absolutely disgusting. LeBron was levels above this kid……

No he’s a bust remember he was better than LeBron and MJ….. dude scored 9pts on 2-13 shooting. It’s the summer league, wait until he’s playing against veteran bigs.
Who said he would be better than LeBron? I'm not doubting that someone said it; I'm just curious to see who would be so idiotic, and make their unrivaled idiocy public for the world to see.

Who said he would be better than LeBron? I'm not doubting that someone said it; I'm just curious to see who would be so idiotic, and make their unrivaled idiocy public for the world to see.
I was only hearing "best since", not "better than". LeBron was the most obvious, can't miss, generational talent I've seen since I've followed sports. Probably followed by Shaq.

I don’t think anyone has said that. Just that he was a better prospect coming into the league than LeBron.

Buts it’s nice to see idiots declaring Wemby a bust based off of a summer league game. So if he gets 30 and 15 next game is he off the bust list?

Who didn't expect this? I'm not on his bandwagon at all but it's one game. It's going to take at least two years for him to be able to make a real impact. He's gotta put on a lot of weight, get used to the speed of the game. Hell the size of the ball is different. He'll never be a LeBron like player imho. He could also be injury prone. Potential is off the charts but we've seen MANY players not reach it.

The fact people said he was better than LeBron coming into the league is absolutely disgusting. LeBron was levels above this kid……
This. I always thought Brandon Miller should have been the #1 pick back to the beginning of last season. Maybe Scoot if you think he’s the next Wade due to the physical maturity.

Wemby was always the super high potential pick bc he could be Durant….but he is much closer to Bol Bol right now than Durant.

He's 19 and played in a total of one NBA summer league game. I'm going to say it's a bit early to deem him a success or bust. He could be All NBA in a couple years, or barely on a team. It's a stupid post and also stupid to project his future in any way other than his potential, which is astronomical. But, not everyone lives up to their potential. We'll just have to see.

Well...I guess I watched a different game. Ignore his stats because this was pickup ball. But Wemby proved he's a Superstar (IF he stays healthy).

His handle...passing...shot blocking...shooting form are all pure.
He's a team player who will have the Tim Duncan affect on the Spurs.

Lebron (I am a fan) was already 30 years old his rookie year.
Wemby is a FOAL with the right bloodlines to win the Derby.

Dude has 5pts 1-10fg, 0-5 3pt, 2 ast, 8 reb, 5blk

His jumpshot and is garbage and he’s getting bodied by Brandon Miller in the summer league game. Feel bad that people hyped him up to be the next big thing and he will end up being the biggest bust.
Dudes weighs 75 pounds lol. I’m sure he played against legit comepetiton and they knew what they were getting. He played very well in the G-League but I believe his frame is the biggest concern. Strength and durability is a huge red flag. He will improve though.

That’s just goofy talk. AD was worlds better too. It’s always the next big thing but LeBron is one of a handful of players I watched in high school that I knew could play all star level basketball pretty early in their career. LeBron was hands down the best I’ve ever seen and was built like a man at 16.

No he’s a bust remember he was better than LeBron and MJ….. dude scored 9pts on 2-13 shooting. It’s the summer league, wait until he’s playing against veteran bigs.

I honestly have not heard anyone say that but I don't listen to the talking heads very much. Nor do I follow the NBA all that closely. I did watch last night because I heard some of the hype and I've obviously seen his videos etc.

He will need to put a lot of muscle on his frame there's no doubt about that.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I would start by saying that in a normal NBA game, someone will block 5 or more shots somewhere around 6% of the time.

So it isn’t exactly rare, but if every team was playing on a given night, then probably one player on one team would block 5 shots.

Also, anyone calling anyone a definite bust after one glorified scrimmage is struggling for attention.

I think he can be a really good player in 3-4 years if no injuries. He needs some weight/muscle tho or he won’t be in the league in 3-4 years.

I looked at the box score as I didn’t watch. The final score was 76-68? Is that bad of basketball normal for a summer league game?

Well...I guess I watched a different game. Ignore his stats because this was pickup ball. But Wemby proved he's a Superstar (IF he stays healthy).

You may be right. All I've seen is the clip posted above and he seems very awkward to me. Maybe it was nerves? I guess time will tell.

This. I always thought Brandon Miller should have been the #1 pick back to the beginning of last season. Maybe Scoot if you think he’s the next Wade due to the physical maturity.

Wemby was always the super high potential pick bc he could be Durant….but he is much closer to Bol Bol right now than Durant.
miller played a similar game his first time out last week

I haven't seen much that Bol Bol doesn't already do, other than dumb luck shots that made a video highlight reel, but I'm going to reserve judgment on his potential career.

Summer League stuff is useless unless you're desperate to make a roster. He's not, obviously.

I was only hearing "best since", not "better than". LeBron was the most obvious, can't miss, generational talent I've seen since I've followed sports. Probably followed by Shaq.
Sports Talk 980 in the Baltimore & DC market was hyping him up to be the most transformative player to ever play the game.

I agree for the most part besides his ball handling. His ball handling in the open court was fine (as is everyone’s else’s ball handling in the NBA). Every time he put it on the floor to get to the basket, he was bodied and he turned it over.

Nice jumper, unselfish, you can’t teach his length, etc…

His ball handling is being overblown. Will still be a really good NBA player.

Reactions: uky8unc5
This thread is the epitome of the Twitter/knee jerk/hot take society we have become. It was one game. Cole Aldrich is the summer league’s all-time rebounds per game leader. How well did that translate to the NBA?
I think it is way too early to forecast his eventual impact on the game; however, his performance last night didn't come close to living up to the hype regardless of what he eventually does. I was expecting to see him do some things that are rarely if ever seen in the game and that isn't what happened. He was playing against players that weren't supposed to be anywhere near as good as he is which means he should have been able to demonstrate that on the court. He failed to even come close. However, it doesn't mean he won't get better. It simply means that he has a lot of work to do to live up to the hype.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT