ADVERTISEMENT

UK/U6 Box score and game thoughts

Well it’s common sense. Saying his teammates are jealous of him is a clown take.
I don’t know if they are jealous of him or not. If they are not then I don’t know how to explain their selfishness of not getting him shots. Like I said, most of Reeds made baskets are off his own dribble. DJ creates a lot of his own shots too, but that is his style, taking ppl off the dribble and driving to the basket and force it half the time. Reed can do that but I would like the other guards to find him spotting up for 3. Yeah they looked good against Louisville, but so did Arkansas st. and the Mocs of Chattanooga.

Look at the shooting percentages of Wagner and Sheppard, then look at the shots missed compared to assists for each player. Wagner has MISSED 66Fgs and has 36 assists on the season for a -30. Sheppard has missed 34FGS and and has 47 assists on the season for a +13. I don’t know if any sports analyst has ever looked at numbers this way, like they do with assist to turnover ratio, but it’s a good way that to look at how well point guards are doing their job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Great call, if you take a great player off this team they will play worse. Brilliant analysis. It sucks that we won two awesome games in a row and you have to dig this deep to be negative.

Notice how Tre Mitchell said the guy to your left and right and didn’t say Reed Sheppard. You’re right, he’s clearly jealous of Reed.

Great call, if you take a great player off this team they will play worse. Brilliant analysis. It sucks that we won two awesome games in a row and you have to dig this deep to be negative.

Notice how Tre Mitchell said the guy to your left and right and didn’t say Reed Sheppard. You’re right, he’s clearly jealous of Reed.

Tre Mitchell is actually one of the guys whose effort I love for his willingness to pass the ball. He’s not a guard though. When I’m talking about players being selfish and not getting Sheppard involved, I’m talking about the other guards. I’m not even talking about Dillingham either. I’m talking about Wagner, Edwards, and Reeves. The two guards coming off the bench average more assist than the 3 guards that start.

I don’t know if they are jealous of him or not. If they are not then I don’t know how to explain their selfishness of not getting him shots. Like I said, most of Reeds made baskets are off his own dribble. DJ creates a lot of his own shots too, but that is his style, taking ppl off the dribble and driving to the basket and force it half the time. Reed can do that but I would like the other guards to find him spotting up for 3. Yeah they looked good against Louisville, but so did Arkansas st. and the Mocs of Chattanooga.

Look at the shooting percentages of Wagner and Sheppard, then look at the shots missed compared to assists for each player. Wagner has MISSED 66Fgs and has 36 assists on the season for a -30. Sheppard has missed 34FGS and and has 47 assists on the season for a +13.
This is the most unselfish UK team since 2004 in my opinion. They all pass the ball but get called selfish for not passing to your boy crush. This team is tenth in the country in assists but get called selfish by a so called UK fan.

Would love to get the Wagner UNC effort every game. Killer crossover, getting to the rim, jumpers, making 3s...clutch shots after they took the lead...fearless. They couldn't stop him and we would have lost without him. Hopefully we'll see more consistency.
His effort isn't his problem. He always gives a good effort. He just isn't going to produce as consistently as Reed and Rob because they are better at basketball. He has a place om this team obviously and can be a very good player but we would be better if some of his shots went to other guys. I know it hurts some to hear that but its the truth. There is no change of pace to his game. He tries to beat the defenders with quickness and power and he isn't overly advantageous in those areas.

This is the most unselfish UK team since 2004 in my opinion. They all pass the ball but get called selfish for not passing to your boy crush. This team is tenth in the country in assists but get called selfish by a so called UK fan.
You aren't qualified to judge who is or isn't a UK fan. Your emo whining over a difference of opinion is utterly childish.

You aren't qualified to judge who is or isn't a UK fan. Your emo whining over a difference of opinion is utterly childish.
Saying the players on this team are jealous of Reed Sheppard is pure ignorance. The eye test and stats prove that. Anyone making that claim has an agenda of some kind and likely isn’t a real UK fan. Oh but yeah, emo and qualification’s. I’ll keep relying on basic common sense, you can stay mad.

Your opinion is a joke and so is your claim that he one has one basket off of an assist this season. This is clearly a close group that get along and support each other.

They never look to create a shot for Sheppard. He only has one basket off of an assist. They can’t even make their made up BS make sense. Just a FYI but that thing where a teammate passes him the ball and he immediately makes a basket is called an assist.

Reed singlehandedly destroyed Miami.

Yup, Dillingham’s 12 points 9 assists and 0 turnovers didn’t matter. Tre Mitchell’s 14 5 and 7 assists didn’t matter and this is clearly why they’re jealous of Reed Sheppard and won’t pass him the ball. 🤡
I’m sorry I didn’t mention which players are selfish by name. I definitely wasn’t talking about Mitchell and Dillingham, as they are not starting guards. I have a problem with Reeves, Wagner, and Edwards. They always trying to get theirs

I’m sorry I didn’t mention which players are selfish by name. I definitely wasn’t talking about Mitchell and Dillingham, as they are not starting guards. I have a problem with Reeves, Wagner, and Edwards. They always trying to get theirs
My bad, I assumed you meant the team when you said, “It’s almost like the team quit on him cause of the fan noise clamoring for him to start. I think his popularity among fans and media alike are creating a jealousy from the other players.”

So your take is Wagner, Reeves, and Edwards are jealous of Reed Sheppard? I’m still laughing at the ridiculousness.

My bad, I assumed you meant the team when you said, “It’s almost like the team quit on him cause of the fan noise clamoring for him to start. I think his popularity among fans and media alike are creating a jealousy from the other players.”

So your take is Wagner, Reeves, and Edwards are jealous of Reed Sheppard? I’m still laughing at the ridiculousness.
I’m saying in my opinion. Sorry that you are so offended by my opinion. It’s the guards, especially the starting point guard who is suppose to distribute the ball moron. I guess I was throwing Big Z and Onyenso under the bus too since they won’t pass Reed the ball either. Tre and Dillingham are playing awesome for the most part. When I said it’s almost like the team quit on Reed against Wilmington, that leaves wiggle room as to whether or not that is what happened or not. He looked like the only one playing with any heart that game. I do think Cal was the first person to give up in that game. He refuses to make adjustments and he was quick to tell the fans that their favorite player had trouble on defense. I dont know why you like arguing with me so much. My original argument was defending Reed cause another poster act like he was the reason that we lost to Wilmington.

I’m saying in my opinion. Sorry that you are so offended by my opinion. It’s the guards, especially the starting point guard who is suppose to distribute the ball moron. I guess I was throwing Big Z and Onyenso under the bus too since they won’t pass Reed the ball either. Tre and Dillingham are playing awesome for the most part. When I said it’s almost like the team quit on Reed against Wilmington, that leaves wiggle room as to whether or not that is what happened or not. He looked like the only one playing with any heart that game. I do think Cal was the first person to give up in that game. He refuses to make adjustments and he was quick to tell the fans that their favorite player had trouble on defense. I dont know why you like arguing with me so much. My original argument was defending Reed cause another poster act like he was the reason that we lost to Wilmington.
DJ Wagner and Reed play together maybe 7-8 minutes a game and DJ didn’t even play in the game you claimed the team quit on Reed. My opinion is you’re a UK hater trying to stir up division. What kind of UK fan looks for negatives after two strong wins over UNC and UL back to back? Fake ones, that’s who.

Last edited:
DJ Wagner and Reed play together maybe 7-8 minutes a game and DJ didn’t even play in the game you claimed the team quit on Reed. My opinion is you’re a UK hater trying to stir up division.
I know DJ didn’t play in that game. Did I say he quit on the team that game. That doesn’t mean that he hasn’t played selfishly since he came back. Now Wagner gets assist too but rarely to Sheppard. Why you keep coming at me? Did I sleep with some woman family member of yours that I’m not aware of. It’s one thing to question my opinion but to keep coming at me is a little weird. Am I not allowed to have an opinion and I will even go as far to say that maybe my opinion is wrong. All I know is our starting point guard is 4th on the team in total assists on the season. You would think the starting PG would be first. I also know that Sheppard isn’t the reason we lost to Wilmington, like the guy I was debating was acting, before you butted in like you are the all knowing basketball guru

Reed is usually the one dictating how the play goes.... very rarely do other players set him up. He's the playmaker right now.

Maybe Wagner steps up later in the year and you see Shep catch and shoot more but I doubt it.

I know DJ didn’t play in that game. Did I say he quit on the team that game. That doesn’t mean that he hasn’t played selfishly since he came back. Now Wagner gets assist too but rarely to Sheppard. Why you keep coming at me? Did I sleep with some woman family member of yours that I’m not aware of. It’s one thing to question my opinion but to keep coming at me is a little weird. Am I not allowed to have an opinion and I will even go as far to say that maybe my opinion is wrong. All I know is our starting point guard is 4th on the team in total assists on the season. You would think the starting PG would be first. I also know that Sheppard isn’t the reason we lost to Wilmington, like the guy I was debating was acting, before you butted in like you are the all knowing basketball guru
So Wagner who rarely plays with Sheppard and plays off the ball when he does should concentrate on passing to Reed Sheppard specifically instead of other teammates? LOL!

OK, I see what you’re talking about. This highlight shows all 6 of DJ’s FGs against UNC and Reed was wide open on every single one of them and DJ passed him up every single time. Wide open on the bench that is.

At least make your manufactured conspiracy theory used to push negativity make sense.

So Wagner who rarely plays with Sheppard and plays off the ball when he does should concentrate on passing to Reed Sheppard specifically instead of other teammates? LOL!

You said earlier that Sheppard and Wagner only play together 7-8 minutes per game and now you say they rarely play together but both of those are incorrect. They both average 26.5 minutes per game, which means they have to play together at least 13 minutes per game together even if the 13.5 minutes of the 40 minutes of game time is not together. That would still leave 13 minutes of their 26.5 per game together.

I looked it up on ESPN’s website. In the last 7 games, Sheppard has 30 made FGs and only one was assisted by Wagner and none of them by Reeves and Edwards. Even Jordan Burks has 2. Wagner should look for everyone, but especially the best shooter on the team.

You said earlier that Sheppard and Wagner only play together 7-8 minutes per game and now you say they rarely play together but both of those are incorrect. They both average 26.5 minutes per game, which means they have to play together at least 13 minutes per game together even if the 13.5 minutes of the 40 minutes of game time is not together. That would still leave 13 minutes of their 26.5 per game together.

I looked it up on ESPN’s website. In the last 7 games, Sheppard has 30 made FGs and only one was assisted by Wagner and none of them by Reeves and Edwards. Even Jordan Burks has 2. Wagner should look for everyone, but especially the best shooter on the team.
Edwards and Reeves very rarely look to make a pass, especially the latter. That’s been a HUGE hole in Reeves’ game since he’s been here. Dude definitely needs to move the ball more, if the next pass is better than the shot he’s taking.

Reactions: UK96GOAT
Your opinion is a joke and so is your claim that he one has one basket off of an assist this season. This is clearly a close group that get along and support each other.

They never look to create a shot for Sheppard. He only has one basket off of an assist. They can’t even make their made up BS make sense. Just a FYI but that thing where a teammate passes him the ball and he immediately makes a basket is called an assist.

I’m not saying he is correct but he clearly states “ the last 2 games “ in that post .

After watching the game, many feel our defense needs work. Maybe so, but some of the shots the Hatfield kid hit were tough shots and he probably won't have many 8-8 games. Take away 2 or 3 of those shots and it is a 25 plus win.
Some are making a big deal out of UL only losing by 19, even saying they won the 2nd half. Take away a couple of those shots and the whole narrative changes about how they have improved.
UK had two players sit most of the 1st half in would trouble. I did not see the 16 shot difference in foul shots UL enjoyed.
Yet, with two players sitting many minutes due to foul issues, they're big hitting shots like a game of horse at times, winning by 19, I say F**K UL.
We dominated that game even with the refs trying to keep it in check. We cruised controlled the second half. I even seen some Cards fans trying to pull the “we won the second half card” and others being like dude they didn’t even try second half. That game was over before it started.

I looked it up and no one on this team is jealous of other players. It’s just the thoughts of an unhinged crazy posing as a UK fan. Also Reed played 39 minutes in a game that DJ didn’t play in so those averages are skewed.

I looked it up and no one on this team is jealous of other players. It’s just the thoughts of an unhinged crazy posing as a UK fan. Also Reed played 39 minutes in a game that DJ didn’t play in so those averages are skewed.
Yeah, you didn’t look up crap cause I state statistical facts. Even if they’re are not jealous of Reed, they still play selfishly looking to shoot too much. That doesn’t skew them that much. That’s 12.5 minutes above his average of 26.5 minutes so 12.5 minutes over 11 games would just raise his average barely over a minute so they would still be playing at least 12 minutes a game together even if one is in there the whole time the other one is out.

Yeah, you didn’t look up crap cause I state statistical facts. Even if they’re are not jealous of Reed, they still play selfishly looking to shoot too much. That doesn’t skew them that much. That’s 12.5 minutes above his average of 26.5 minutes so 12.5 minutes over 11 games would just raise his average barely over a minute so they would still be playing at least 12 minutes a game together even if one is in there the whole time the other one is out.
You stated that the team is jealous of Reed and that why they don’t pass to him. You’re full of it! No one is jealous, it’s made up BS by you. That’s how Reeves and Edwards play, they’re not jealous of anyone. This is the most unselfish UK team we’ve had in forever and you try to push this nonsense.

No matter how hard you try to change the subject I’m still gonna call out your made up BS conspiracy theory about the team being jealous.

"Salty" cat lives up to his screen name. He is definitely taking your comment personally, as though you insulted his wife or something. He's like a dog with a bone.

Reactions: UK96GOAT
"Salty" cat lives up to his screen name. He is definitely taking your comment personally, as though you insulted his wife or something. He's like a dog with a bone.
I call out ignorance when I see it, especially when it’s taking unwarranted shots at UK players. Funny how you’re taking my issues with the team being called selfish and jealous personally. You’re like a dog with a bone.

You stated that the team is jealous of Reed and that why they don’t pass to him. You’re full of it! No one is jealous, it’s made up BS by you. That’s how Reeves and Edwards play, they’re not jealous of anyone. This is the most unselfish UK team we’ve had in forever and you try to push this nonsense.

No matter how hard you try to change the subject I’m still gonna call out your made up BS conspiracy theory about the team being jealous.
I stated on my opinion. I even have stated since that my opinion could be wrong. I don’t care if they are jealous or not of Reed. Either way, they will cost us against a team in the tournament just like they cost us against Kansas. Reeves, Wagner, and Edwards went a combined 8-43, while Sheppard and Dillingham made 2 more shots than them, on 26 less attempts, going 10-17. All we need is another game where guys play hero ball like that game or going 1-15 like Reeves did against Kansas St and loosing in the tournament.

I’ve looked at the stats. In the first 4 games this season, Sheppard was assisted on 12 of his 18 FGs. In the game Reed went 9-10 including 7-8 from 3 pointer, he was assisted on 7 of his 9 makes. Since that game he has been assisted only 9 of his 30 FGs over the last 7 games and like I already stated that the 3 starting guards have combined to assist Sheppard 1 time over the last 7 games. Jealous or not, those 3 starting guards will cost us with their selfishness and forced shots when it counts the most. Wagner passes the ball some but not to Sheppard and still forces too many bad shots.

I stated on my opinion. I even have stated since that my opinion could be wrong. I don’t care if they are jealous or not of Reed. Either way, they will cost us against a team in the tournament just like they cost us against Kansas. Reeves, Wagner, and Edwards went a combined 8-43, while Sheppard and Dillingham made 2 more shots than them, on 26 less attempts, going 10-17. All we need is another game where guys play hero ball like that game or going 1-15 like Reeves did against Kansas St and loosing in the tournament.

I’ve looked at the stats. In the first 4 games this season, Sheppard was assisted on 12 of his 18 FGs. In the game Reed went 9-10 including 7-8 from 3 pointer, he was assisted on 7 of his 9 makes. Since that game he has been assisted only 9 of his 30 FGs over the last 7 games and like I already stated that the 3 starting guards have combined to assist Sheppard 1 time over the last 7 games. Jealous or not, those 3 starting guards will cost us with their selfishness and forced shots when it counts the most. Wagner passes the ball some but not to Sheppard and still forces too many bad shots.
10th in the nation in assist and you call them selfish. Again, pure ignorance.

10th in the nation in assist and you call them selfish. Again, pure ignorance.
I don’t think the whole team is selfish. Just the 3 starting guards. The reason they are tenth in the nation is because they have 2 guards that come off the bench and average more assists than the 3 selfish ones that start. Also, cause the starting forward/center is a willing and good passer. I don’t have a problem with the 3 players have the most total assist, which are Sheppard, Dillingham, and Mitchell. Wagner passes the ball some but no longer to Sheppard because, in my opinion, he doesn’t want to lose his starting job to him. Wagner still has way too many missed shots compared to assists for a starting point guard.

I hate to say it, but I made a comment to my son tonight similar to what you said about Wagner. I want him to do well but we start slowly almost every game, and he and Edwards are the reason. I know Cal wants to get those guys going, but it's been the same nearly every game. We start slowly offensively. We usually end up behind by at least 6-8 points. Wagner and Edwards go to the bench. We go on a run.

Makes for great bench numbers but it can also be a serious problem in some of these SEC road games. I can understand why Cal would want to keep them coming off the bench, because it's working. But we all know- Sheppard and Dillingham are the real starters.

I'm not against the other guys. We need them, too. I want them to play well enough to change my mind. If they do come along, this team becomes even more dangerous. 👍
Is this the same DJ Wagner who has been SEC FOW twice so far this season

Reactions: IL Wildcat
When UK started to make a move, I could not believe how UL just did not play inside out. Let Huntley Hatfield touch the ball every time down the floor. The perimeter players would have gotten open shots on kick outs and the kid was giving Bradshaw all he could handle. Foul trouble may have impacted the game.

Not even sure what everyone is fighting about but my two cents are that Shep is a bit ahead of the other freshmen and right now, is probably the best player on the team. That doesn't mean that Wagner and Dilly don't have more upside though, and hence more room to improve. They all will get better. I like the speed of Wagner and Dilly. Both shoot the ball well, but not great. Shep is a heady bball player and I think that's what has him ahead of the others at the moment. Like Reeves, he fades away a little when left to create his own shot against a better, faster defender. Not many faster than Wagner and Dilly though...and I think they will be the ones that can be counted on to break their guy down when we need a basket. Don't get me wrong about Shep though..he's not slow at all but is a step behind the other two. He typically looks best when he's better than the guy guarding him but there will be and have been times where the other guy is just a step faster than Reed. If the other two continue to develop, that really puts a ton of pressure on the other team to keep up with two or all three of them when they need a stop. Again, I think that right now, Shep is the best player on the team but later, I think that will be Wagner or Dilly. Hopefully Edwards breaks out but to me, he seems like a guy that is still figuring out the game and thinking too much, at this point. Just not there yet at this level but might have the highest ceiling, especially at his position. Listed as a guard but is a natural 3 or 4. I'd like to see him get more time and just play ball but he has hurt us at times. They're all different players and all at different stages of growing their games.

I hope we win easily tomorrow and Edwards logs a lot of minutes. When he breaks out, look out. He's the missing piece. The other guys are just ahead of him at the moment. He'll be crucial in conference play.

I don't care who starts. We have the good problem of it being hard to just say, these are my best 5 and this is who starts. On any given night, our best five can look very different, and as always, it has a lot to do with matchups the other team presents. The best 5 on a given night need to log the most minutes. Not complicated in that regard. Shep is a shooter and I like the idea of a shooter starting, even if he sits early, just to get him in the flow and his rhythm going early rather than coming off the bench, then needing to get going. Who knows? What we're doing ain't broke though. Faster legs off the bench might put more pressure on the other team at times, to keep up too. Just rambling but we're winning while growing, at the moment. We'll be growing all season long too. Just because I'd start Shep atm, doesn't mean the coach is wrong, but that I'd try Shep in the starting lineup more and see how it goes. I don't make $10 million/year though. I'd start Shep and get him a good look at the basket at least once before subbing him out. If the shots fall, great to get out front early and stepping up the pace even more with subs like Wag/Dilly are what I'd do. Doesn't mean I'm right. Defense needs to be the focus first and foremost. The O will come and transition points will come with D and pts off turnovers. As defensive intensity hopefully picks up, keeping shooters' legs fresh is where I'd concentrate substitution patterns around. Our depth is scary for opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT