ADVERTISEMENT

Box Score for UK/MSU and game thoughts

The thing that makes Shepherd remarkable is that he is constantly hunting the best shot...and realizes that any shot he can shoot isn't necessarily the best shot. Sometimes the players take bad shots...but rarely does Shepherd.

I say let's continue to run the offense the way it is currently. 90 pts per game is pretty outstanding. Defense and rebounding needs to be the focus. And clearly it was last night as we were markedly better in both in the first half.
You just highlighted Cal's problem. He's okay with things as they are. Because it protects his favorites. Edwards should not be sniffing the floor until halfway through either half and Sheppard should be shooting more than five total shots per game. DJ should not be the starting point guard. These are OBVIOUS, glaring issues that anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see, yet Cal ignores them because he has other priorities. And he's got small minded people saying "it's fine" because he's giving you "bread and circuses" in the form of 90 ppg while at the same time he's setting us up for a big fall in the tournament.

You just highlighted Cal's problem. He's okay with things as they are. Because it protects his favorites. Edwards should not be sniffing the floor until halfway through either half and Sheppard should be shooting more than five total shots per game. DJ should not be the starting point guard. These are OBVIOUS, glaring issues that anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see, yet Cal ignores them because he has other priorities. And he's got small minded people saying "it's fine" because he's giving you "bread and circuses" in the form of 90 ppg while at the same time he's setting us up for a big fall in the tournament.
But the flip side...Why change something that is working? I don't think Edwards is a lost cause. We may not get what he is capable of the rest of the season, but he certainly can contribute something. When (if) he figures that out, that helps the team.

I don't think Calipari is telling Shepherd not to shoot. I think this group, collectively, on offense is selfless and understands what it takes to get good shots. Good offensive teams understand good shot selection and shoot at a higher percentage. Bad ones don't. There is no reason to change the offense. What we need is buy-in defensively from everyone...Guards staying in front of their man....Bigs competing in the post. If we get that, we will be a load to deal with in March.

But the flip side...Why change something that is working? I don't think Edwards is a lost cause. We may not get what he is capable of the rest of the season, but he certainly can contribute something. When (if) he figures that out, that helps the team.

I don't think Calipari is telling Shepherd not to shoot. I think this group, collectively, on offense is selfless and understands what it takes to get good shots. Good offensive teams understand good shot selection and shoot at a higher percentage. Bad ones don't. There is no reason to change the offense. What we need is buy-in defensively from everyone...Guards staying in front of their man....Bigs competing in the post. If we get that, we will be a load to deal with in March.
I get what you're saying, and it may be that you've misread some of what I'm saying.

1. I'm not saying write Edwards off. I'm saying he shouldn't start and he should be playing no more than 20 minutes.
2. I'm not saying Cal is telling Shep not to shoot - but he isn't calling plays for him like he is for Edwards. He even admitted he's calling plays for Edwards. Shep is such a facilitator that the offense should really be running THROUGH him.
3. The offense isn't really a problem but there's always room for improvement. Sheppard shooting more would be an improvement. Sheppard starting means we probably put teams away sooner. DJ not handling the ball all the time means maybe we cut down on some turnovers and increase our assists per game. Saying "it ain't broke" doesn't mean you can't tweak it. It shouldn't be a false choice.
4. Defensively Cal is clearly trying to fix things and it did seem a little better last night, but MSU isn't exactly a big time scoring team so we'll have to see. Getting Thiero back is a BIG piece of the puzzle for us defensively and on the boards.

With Reeves I will take all his points and play this year but I woulda cut his ass loose after 0-14 last tournament.
It is what it is.
Which is: DO IT IN THE TOURNAMENT

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT