ADVERTISEMENT

Victor Wembanyama Already Being Exposed

Oh, I guess hot takes are ok as long as you are the one who is making them. Some of you come to this board for the sole purpose of finding posts that you can disagree with for the simple sake of an argument. I couldn't possibly care less what you think about me. You aren't even worth an exchange of insults.
Please type the Hot take I made. Donā€™t worry Iā€™ll wait.

I always thought his shooting in that Vegas game against Scoot earlier in the year made people think he was like a 7ā€™5 Steph. Heā€™s never really shot the outside ball well. Also Iā€™m still convinced heā€™s just too big for his handle to functionally work in the NBA. Those are really the two reasons why many think he has ā€œGOATā€ potential.

That being said, his floor is so high because of his defense and mobility. Even if he never becomes a primary creator in the league he could still easily be an all star caliber guy.

I see him more as a 7ā€™4 Jaren Jackson Jr, then a 7ā€™4 KD like a lot of people think. Thatā€™s still an all time player IMO. If the handle, shot creation ever gets ironed out though itā€™s gonna be wraps.

Senile old man. Enjoy talking to yourself!
Is that the best you got? How about holding your breath while you wait? Lol. You might not be senile, but you are certainly not smart enough to recognize the pic.

Last edited:
Good-Call-Hunter.jpg

I always thought his shooting in that Vegas game against Scoot earlier in the year made people think he was like a 7ā€™5 Steph. Heā€™s never really shot the outside ball well. Also Iā€™m still convinced heā€™s just too big for his handle to functionally work in the NBA. Those are really the two reasons why many think he has ā€œGOATā€ potential.

That being said, his floor is so high because of his defense and mobility. Even if he never becomes a primary creator in the league he could still easily be an all star caliber guy.

I see him more as a 7ā€™4 Jaren Jackson Jr, then a 7ā€™4 KD like a lot of people think. Thatā€™s still an all time player IMO. If the handle, shot creation ever gets ironed out though itā€™s gonna be wraps.
The NBA is full of good 3 point shooters that were not good 3 point shooters when they were 20.

He's currently averaging 20.6 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.2 blk, 1.4 stl ... other than turnovers, which is to be expected as he learns this level, I'd say he's on pace for ROY with Chet Holmgren as his toughest competition (and he had a year to adjust, while being injured, to the NBA life).

The NBA is full of good 3 point shooters that were not good 3 point shooters when they were 20.
Thatā€™s not really negating my point though. My point was people who donā€™t know any better weā€™re just penciling him in as a great shooter.

Heā€™s never had a good shooting season in any season heā€™s ever played. Even in the NBA, where teams are settling with him taking jumpers, heā€™s shooting 29% from 3.

He shows flashes though, and Iā€™d be pretty surprised if he stays below a 35% shooter in his prime. But people really think he just shoots like KD already.

Thatā€™s not really negating my point though. My point was people who donā€™t know any better weā€™re just penciling him in as a great shooter.

Heā€™s never had a good shooting season in any season heā€™s ever played. Even in the NBA, where teams are settling with him taking jumpers, heā€™s shooting 29% from 3.

He shows flashes though, and Iā€™d be pretty surprised if he stays below a 35% shooter in his prime. But people really think he just shoots like KD already.
I have never heard anybody say he was that kind of shooter now, just that he has a nice shooting stroke. You're putting words in other people's mouths to make your argument sound better. The people who don't know any better are the ones who think he won't be better in the future than now.

I have never heard anybody say he was that kind of shooter now, just that he has a nice shooting stroke. You're putting words in other people's mouths to make your argument sound better. The people who don't know any better are the ones who think he won't be better in the future than now.
His most common comparison is ā€œ7ā€™5 KDā€ so no, Iā€™m NOT putting words in peoples mouths. A ton of people watched him against Scoot in Las Vegas and assumed he shoots even remotely similar to that normally. Acting like nobody believed/believes that is crazy revisionist history.

Two different sides can not know better. Both are ridiculous.

His most common comparison is ā€œ7ā€™5 KDā€ so no, Iā€™m NOT putting words in peoples mouths. A ton of people watched him against Scoot in Las Vegas and assumed he shoots even remotely similar to that normally. Acting like nobody believed/believes that is crazy revisionist history.

Two different sides can not know better. Both are ridiculous.
When somebody says "7ā€™5 KD" they're talking about his potential. They're not saying the 19 year old is that now.

Reactions: MbergCat
When somebody says "7ā€™5 KD" they're talking about his potential. They're not saying the 19 year old is that now.
Itā€™s about his play style, because of how they think he shoots. That goes hand in hand.

A draft comparison is never ā€œthis player is this nowā€, itā€™s generally who they play like to give a rough outline of their path to hitting their potential in the NBA.

Saying Wemby is 7ā€™5 KD you are implying he can shoot well. Someone who routinely shoots ~30% from 3 doesnā€™t play like KD - at all.

I donā€™t want this point to be misconstrued into me shitting on Wemby. Iā€™ve said for the last year or two heā€™s the best prospect off of all time, solely because nobody has a higher true ceiling. Itā€™s just a lot of casuals (most people are casuals) have this mythical idea of his shooting ability, that has never been fully realized outside of a few crazy flashes. (See: his game against Phoenix like 2 weeks ago.)

Who cares? Has nothing to do with UK.
I don't get it, either. It seems there are a number of NBA fans here just looking to get the scoop on UK players for their fantasy leagues and bets. They're constantly bringing NBA news into RR.

Itā€™s about his play style, because of how they think he shoots. That goes hand in hand.

A draft comparison is never ā€œthis player is this nowā€, itā€™s generally who they play like to give a rough outline of their path to hitting their potential in the NBA.

Saying Wemby is 7ā€™5 KD you are implying he can shoot well. Someone who routinely shoots ~30% from 3 doesnā€™t play like KD - at all.

I donā€™t want this point to be misconstrued into me shitting on Wemby. Iā€™ve said for the last year or two heā€™s the best prospect off of all time, solely because nobody has a higher true ceiling. Itā€™s just a lot of casuals (most people are casuals) have this mythical idea of his shooting ability, that has never been fully realized outside of a few crazy flashes. (See: his game against Phoenix like 2 weeks ago.)
Everything you said is fair and I can't disagree with anything. It's just that we've only played a few games into the season so we don't even know if he's only a 30% shooter now. I'd predict he'll wind up the year around 35% and it will go up in future years. And most rookies struggle as far as shooting percentages are concerned. For instance, Lebron shot 41.7% from the field and 29% on threes in his rookie year and the next year the numbers rose to .472 and .351. And most people acknowledge that seven footers reach their peak later than shorter players(which is everybody in Wemby's case).

Last edited:
I don't get it, either. It seems there are a number of NBA fans here just looking to get the scoop on UK players for their fantasy leagues and bets. They're constantly bringing NBA news into RR.

People here can't be fans of, and talk about the NBA here, which is the natural progression and the dreams of many of our recruits? Kind of a silly take.

Everything you said is fair and I can't disagree with anything. It's just that we've only played a few games into the season so we don't even know if he's only a 30% shooter now. I'd predict he'll wind up the year around 35% and it will go up in future years. And most rookies struggle as far as shooting percentages are concerned. For instance, Lebron shot 41.7% from the field and 29% on threes in his rookie year and the next year the numbers rose to .472 and .351. And most people acknowledge that seven footers reach their peak later than shorter players(which is everybody in Wemby's case).
I donā€™t think you understand. Nobody is talking about him in the future. Itā€™s irrelevant to my point. Like Iā€™ve said, IMO, heā€™s the greatest prospect ever.

Iā€™m just saying a lot of people billed him as 7ā€™5 KD because they have this false sense that heā€™s some lights out shooter - right now. Heā€™s never been that outside of a few games in his entire career.

Wemby continuing to shoot well under league average kinda proves my point. Will he shoot better in his prime? I already said in a previous comment Iā€™d probably bet on it.

But that has nothing to do with my point. The point is he has a reputation of a shooter now, and he isnā€™t one. Heā€™s still a future all time great without a consistent jumper, but letā€™s make sure people know his game instead of watching his highlights against the G League ignite and billing him 7ā€™5 KD.

I donā€™t think you understand. Nobody is talking about him in the future. Itā€™s irrelevant to my point. Like Iā€™ve said, IMO, heā€™s the greatest prospect ever.

Iā€™m just saying a lot of people billed him as 7ā€™5 KD because they have this false sense that heā€™s some lights out shooter - right now. Heā€™s never been that outside of a few games in his entire career.

Wemby continuing to shoot well under league average kinda proves my point. Will he shoot better in his prime? I already said in a previous comment Iā€™d probably bet on it.

But that has nothing to do with my point. The point is he has a reputation of a shooter now, and he isnā€™t one. Heā€™s still a future all time great without a consistent jumper, but letā€™s make sure people know his game instead of watching his highlights against the G League ignite and billing him 7ā€™5 KD.
Honestly, I don't think you understand. Lebron didn't become such a better shooter his second year from extra shooting the summer after his rookie year. If you could improve that much over one summer from practicing everybody would come into the league as a lights out shooter. If you look at every star player from their rookie year to the second year you will see a big jump in shooting percentage on average. That second year jump isn't because all those players all of a sudden became better shooters. NBA rookies are always surprised by the athleticism of the defenders and it takes a while for them to learn what is a good shot and what is not and how to get the good shots. I guarantee you Wemby(and probable almost every other rookie this year) is a better shooter
than current percentages suggest. You're doing the same thing you're accusing others of doing. You're assuming Wemby is only a 30% shooter based on his first half dozen NBA games. His shooting % WILL rise as the year goes along. If I'm wrong just save this and bring it back to embarass me in 3 months...but it won't happen.

Honestly, I don't think you understand. Lebron didn't become such a better shooter his second year from extra shooting the summer after his rookie year. If you could improve that much over one summer from practicing everybody would come into the league as a lights out shooter. If you look at every star player from their rookie year to the second year you will see a big jump in shooting percentage on average. That second year jump isn't because all those players all of a sudden became better shooters. NBA rookies are always surprised by the athleticism of the defenders and it takes a while for them to learn what is a good shot and what is not and how to get the good shots. I guarantee you Wemby(and probable almost every other rookie this year) is a better shooter
than current percentages suggest. You're doing the same thing you're accusing others of doing. You're assuming Wemby is only a 30% shooter based on his first half dozen NBA games. His shooting % WILL rise as the year goes along. If I'm wrong just save this and bring it back to embarass me in 3 months...but it won't happen.
No, itā€™s YOU that doesnā€™t get it lol. To the point where if you arenā€™t trolling itā€™s concerning.

Youā€™re having a completely different conversation despite me clearly explaining to you what I said/meant several times.

You continuously keep trying to talk about players improving past their rookie year, when Iā€™ve been crystal clear this conversation has been about Wembanyamaā€™s false shooting reputation **going into the draft** and currently. People saw him play against G League ignite and hit a bunch of 3ā€™s, watch his crazy highlights and call him 7ā€™5 KD. In reality he has never shot well from 3 historically. Do you still not see why telling me players can improve from 3 has nothing to do with what he is RIGHT NOW and what he WAS BEFORE? I canā€™t really explain it any more clear.

Btw, Wemby has been a >35% shooter his entire career. I wasnā€™t even talking about his NBA play of ~10 games. France, FIBA, etc. Heā€™s always been a mediocre shooter over every season/tournament. Thatā€™s why I pointed out his shooting is mythicized.

Him becoming a better shooter **is expected** but **HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS CONVERSATION**, as this conversation has **only to do with who he was pre-draft**/ right now. Go back and read how almost all of my points were made in past tense and youā€™ll figure out how to use context clues.

Youā€™re literally trying to argue his shooting will get better over the years, even though Iā€™ve said in the last 3 comments I said it will too. But unfortunately that doesnā€™t change my point about him pre-draft/right now.

Let me know if you want me to keep explaining to you how bringing up anything about his or anyoneā€™s future is completely missing the point!

Man, I just stated a fact that neither of us knows how good a shooter he is right now based on his first 6 NBA games but you think you do know. Keep on arguing with yourself; I'm done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT