ADVERTISEMENT

UT early loss opens a path to a 2 seed

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
I didn’t think it was there yesterday but UT looks like a 3 seed now imo and the SEC is gonna get at least 1 team on the 2 line based on the strength of the conference. If we can win this tournament well in not gonna get ahead of myself. Today will be difficult enough and tamu will be hungry like msu.

I didn’t think it was there yesterday but UT looks like a 3 seed now imo and the SEC is gonna get at least 1 team on the 2 line based on the strength of the conference. If we can win this tournament well in not gonna get ahead of myself. Today will be difficult enough and tamu will be hungry like msu.
No way Tennessee is a 3 seed. You don't go from the 4th or 5th ranked team on the S curve to the 9th by losing one game in the conference tournament.

We need other teams to lose, but I think there is a shot. More likely a high 3.

Path of a 2 and 3 is very similar.

LOL would you guys STOP with this 2 seed nonsense!! Tennessee is locked into a 2.
Our only hope for a 2 is for Marquette to lose tonight, us win the SEC tournament... and I'd still bet against us getting the 2. We can definitely get to the 1st or 2nd 3-seed though.

UT took care of business during the year and committee looks at the whole body of work they don’t just look at the conference tournaments. As we all know they look at the conference tournaments for little when it comes to seeding in the NCAA tournament. They will still get a 2 seed and we will probably at best get a 3-4 seed in overall body of work. I’m just being realistic here.

Reactions: gharding07
Our only hope for a 2 is for Marquette to lose tonight, us win the SEC tournament... and I'd still bet against us getting the 2.
For the 1,000th time this week, the brackets are LOCKED IN before the SECT final is played unless the winner gets a bid they wouldn't otherwise get. The committee chairs have told us this multiple times. There is just too much work to be done and bracketing rules to follow (even though 1 seems to get broken every year) that could get screwed up for that outcome to impact their work.

For the 1,000th time this week, the brackets are LOCKED IN before the SECT final is played unless the winner gets a bid they wouldn't otherwise get. The committee chairs have told us this multiple times. There is just too much work to be done and bracketing rules to follow (even though 1 seems to get broken every year) that could get screwed up for that outcome to impact their work.
I still don't believe we know this to be absolutely true. At least not for this year.

No, it doesn't.

Some people don't really understand how all of this works.
Tell us how it works. No two years of criteria are the same and easily could I hear the committee say UK jumped UT (if we win the sect) because of our win at UT and UT losing early. I don’t think fans have figured out how the committee works.

• Haha
Reactions: gharding07
I still don't believe we know this to be absolutely true. At least not for this year.
It’s only true when there’s no seeding difference between teams with in a conference. When two teams are battling for seeding with in a conference the conference tournament results generally have an impact.

If the Selection Committee factored in the SEC Championship game on Sunday, and if the Cats won that, then it might be possible to be a 2 seed. But the committee usually has everything settled before that game.

No way Tennessee is a 3 seed. You don't go from the 4th or 5th ranked team on the S curve to the 9th by losing one game in the conference tournament.
I agree they stay at a 2 seed, but it isn't exactly 1 game in a vacuum. Losing this game removes them from the ability to get 2 more wins that other teams will be getting so the result is more like 2/3 games.

The difference between two seed and a 3 seed is where you might be playing the game. You can cut Kentuckys fanbase advantage by moving them further out with a three seed.
I believe Creighton lost and I believe Tennessee lost. We should move up and take Creightons spot if we win tonight and tomorrow.

UT will be the 2 in the South and will have to go through Houston in Dallas to make the Final Four run.

UK, unless we collapse and somebody right below us blows up, will be the 3 seed, probably in the Midwest or East. I would prefer the Midwest.

SEC tournament championship means nothing unless someone who wasn't going to get a bid wins. I guess it has been so long since we won the tournament nobody remembers this now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT