ADVERTISEMENT

That Last 10 Minutes Was Brutal.

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
Just now got to watch the game. So many good things happened, but that defense and lack of focus was disappointing. Gave up 32 points in the last quarter of the game. We've got to figure out something to get this defense improved. Going to be tough to win in a shootout every single game. Especially with us needing to win 6 in a row in the NCAA Tournament. We've seen we can lose in a shootout.

We haven't yet had the whole team healthy. I don't believe that version of UK is beatable unless UK beats itself.

The defense was solid for 32 minutes and 5 seconds. Then the under-8 timeout hit. They can build off that initial 32.5 minutes as long as they learn they can't lose focus like they did in the final 7 minutes and 55 seconds. It'll be something to watch in the next game against USCjr.
yep
after that timeout our guys started playing sloppy on both ends of the court

it was brutal ( well the last 7 minutes ) but mostly due to the refs calling every little thing against us and nothing against them . They shot a zillion free throws and made the game look closer then it really was. Our D did let down after being great in the first half but thats life when you are up 30 and young.
Yeah.

You hope it was a learning experience for the young kids that have likely never had that happen to them before.

Thank God we were up 27 and not 17 before the collapse!

The first 33 minutes was the version of this team that I think can’t be beaten in March. Get and stay healthy and I’m optimistic that version plays like that for 40 minutes.

The defense was solid for 32 minutes and 5 seconds. Then the under-8 timeout hit. They can build off that initial 32.5 minutes as long as they learn they can't lose focus like they did in the final 7 minutes and 55 seconds. It'll be something to watch in the next game against USCjr.
So. Car. will be hard to beat at their place. They’re playing well.

Like I said in another post they lost focus after the game was already decided. And when UK gets up 29 in the 2nd half the game has been decided. We came back from being that much down one time but have never given up that kind of 2nd half lead. Of course I want them to keep playing hard all game long, as we all do, but they're still young and I can live with them losing focus and intensity after they've already blown the other team out.

Realize the defensive fanatics will come out and bash me, but reality is the thing that led to that run and the poor defense was the stall ball offensive approach. How many possessions in the last 10 mins were DJ Wagner/Rob Dillingham/Reed Sheppard up near midcourt--dribbling and getting into the offense late? Defensively? I'm not sure what it will take for Bradshaw/Mitchell/Ugo/Z to not get caught playing behind the big as an opponent's guard drives to the basket--step up and make the guy drop the pass to the big-where your guards then have to help down. It's painful to watch.

If you are an offensive team-just play offense. That's your best defense. I don't care who the opponent is-if you are putting up 120 (which yesterday's game should've ended up for the Cats at a minimium).....they are going to eventually have to make 3's to catch up or they'll just give into the game. When you play stall ball and quit attacking-they rest on defense and were getting to the FT line at will-not to mention Kentucky had a Flagrant 1, Tech on Cal, Tech on Z all called in that sequence as well. So FT's, possession of the ball to double their possessions for the Half.

But you look at a lot of the scores yesterday and there are some good programs/defensive teams who got lit up-Kansas for instance. They gave up 91....lost. You are going to have to score the ball if you want to win in March and nobody can score like this Kentucky team unless their HC decides to go full turtle, freak out and have guys dribbling 35 ft extended and then initiating offense with 8 secs left which is just stupid when your team has 90 with almost 9 minutes left.

Right! We are getting better on defense but that 7-8 minute stretch was possibly the worst I've ever witnessed. Not only defense but pretty much every aspect. Too close to letting them back into the game. Way too close. I said it before but this team seems to play up to the level of the competition and they get lazy with a lead like that. They've got heart but lack that killer instinct. They need to go for the jugular and not let up.

Thrilled with Big Z. Couldn't be happier for him or our Cats but I wouldn't expect him to keep that up. If they get more time together though, look out. He made some passes that were there but the team mate wasn't looking for. He may be up there with Reed with passing the ball and seeing the floor. If so, that's just scary for a 7 footer to have that. Not to mention his shooting. Looks pure and it was working for him last night. Freak!

I can envision lobs from Z to Shep! And the other way around.

Last edited:
We lost our intensity after the under 8 timeout. Started showboating and playing loose on offense and stopped defending altogether.

I hope this is a good lesson for Cal and the players to not hit cruise control quite so early. Young teams sometimes forget you have to play for 40 minutes. This one thought 32 was good enough.

It actually started the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half. Officials blew their whistle non stop.

Ended up with Georgia in the double bonus by the 9:30 mark. After that I think our guys were afraid to touch the opponent.

Our defense already is not good. Call every single thing on us, and it goes from bad to a lot worse.

It's pretty simple, they got up almost 30 points and coasted the rest of the game. Not really a big deal (although it'll give Cal a good reason to run them quite a bit in practice) and doesn't say much about the team having a "killer instinct" or not. If you think the team will quit up 15 in a NCAA tournament game against Kansas or someone, then I guess keep acting like the sky is falling. But that and last night are two incredibly different scenarios. Last night doesn't really say anything other than a young team got lazy and coasted the final 8 minutes of a game after being up nearly 30 against an average team.

I think the players were in shock after what they had seen and been part of when it began to sink in. We need to get off that cloud and get back to earth before Tuesday night. South Carolina will hit us in the mouth like TAM did. Hope we are ready to respond. Cal will probably get thrown out of the game in the first 5 minutes

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
It's pretty simple, they got up almost 30 points and coasted the rest of the game. Not really a big deal (although it'll give Cal a good reason to run them quite a bit in practice) and doesn't say much about the team having a "killer instinct" or not. If you think the team will quit up 15 in a NCAA tournament game against Kansas or someone, then I guess keep acting like the sky is falling. But that and last night are two incredibly different scenarios. Last night doesn't really say anything other than a young team got lazy and coasted the final 8 minutes of a game after being up nearly 30 against an average team.
I hope you're right about them taking big games more seriously. They're all big games, though.

I think the players were in shock after what they had seen and been part of when it began to sink in. We need to get off that cloud and get back to earth before Tuesday night. South Carolina will hit us in the mouth like TAM did. Hope we are ready to respond. Cal will probably get thrown out of the game in the first 5 minutes

If that were to happen he should turn the team over to Ulis 🤣

Reactions: docholiday51
Teams always lose focus when they get up by as many as we were, I still didn't like it either. What bothered me was our big men getting sealed off for layups more than a handful of times. They have got to find a way to keep that from happening so much.

We were up big and played solid D for most of the game. Would have liked to see us do it for a little longer, but we are getting better. It will also help when we get Adou back.

I think the players lost interest in the game at the 7 or 8 minute mark. That is the difference in a young team and an older team. The 96 team would have won that by 40 just because they could, the 12 team would have done just what this one did and the 15 team would have been somewhere between the other two

Reactions: ruppcat
It was a non-stop layup drill for GA the last part of the 2nd half- Goose Givens stated that about 5-6 times during that time period - our guards have got to get better defensively

And don’t forget 4 layups given up on OOB plays

The defender on the inbounder has to cut off that angle first and there’s no reason to get beat to basket

Ball-You-Man

Teams always lose focus when they get up by as many as we were, I still didn't like it either. What bothered me was our big men getting sealed off for layups more than a handful of times. They have got to find a way to keep that from happening so much.
I saw the asst coach for KY, forgot who it was, when Z came out in the first half motioned and told him to knock the Ga players hand down when they were sealing him off and even motioned to knock their arm off of him- it was obvious that what Z was being told

The last part of the game there were several issues. One is our offense is just not nearly as good when we slow the pace down. Second, Georgia figured out to push Z and our bigs out of the way so they could have blow-by drives to the basket for their guards. It's great when our bigs can block a shot but it may be equally if not more important to protect the baselines.

Finally, I think it makes sense that we lost intensity but may I say it often is not great with Cal to be close at the end. It often takes a last second shot like Harrison's or the one taken against Florida. Would you really want Bradshaw to be the last one to be frequently taking the shot near the end of a game?

The Def isn't great. But last night, the late game lack of killer instict and focus was the issue, not the total defensive ability. Simply put, they coasted cause they could.

We were on track to give up about 80 even before the last 10 minutes. Defense is definitely a problem, but I guess you can somewhat hide that problem when you can put up 90+ every game. I definitely don't want to go all rock fight toward the end to keep them from scoring, but keep doing what got you there.

The last 8 minutes was stall ball for coach courtesy. Our guys may have overdone it, but the game was never in question. Cal wasn't going to break any scoring records on Mike White. Maybe if it was Stackhouse.

We were on track to give up about 80 even before the last 10 minutes. Defense is definitely a problem, but I guess you can somewhat hide that problem when you can put up 90+ every game. I definitely don't want to go all rock fight toward the end to keep them from scoring, but keep doing what got you there.
We average 78 possessions a game. Which means the other team will also get around that many. We're going to give up more points just based on that. We average 1.22 points per possession, which is #1 in the country. The defense needs some cleaning up for sure. But the sky ain't falling.

"Oh good we have a guy guarding the bucket during the baseline inbounds."

4 seconds later he runs away leaving the basket wide open. Layup. Just freaking stay put.

Reactions: gharding07
Realize the defensive fanatics will come out and bash me, but reality is the thing that led to that run and the poor defense was the stall ball offensive approach. How many possessions in the last 10 mins were DJ Wagner/Rob Dillingham/Reed Sheppard up near midcourt--dribbling and getting into the offense late? Defensively? I'm not sure what it will take for Bradshaw/Mitchell/Ugo/Z to not get caught playing behind the big as an opponent's guard drives to the basket--step up and make the guy drop the pass to the big-where your guards then have to help down. It's painful to watch.

If you are an offensive team-just play offense. That's your best defense. I don't care who the opponent is-if you are putting up 120 (which yesterday's game should've ended up for the Cats at a minimium).....they are going to eventually have to make 3's to catch up or they'll just give into the game. When you play stall ball and quit attacking-they rest on defense and were getting to the FT line at will-not to mention Kentucky had a Flagrant 1, Tech on Cal, Tech on Z all called in that sequence as well. So FT's, possession of the ball to double their possessions for the Half.

But you look at a lot of the scores yesterday and there are some good programs/defensive teams who got lit up-Kansas for instance. They gave up 91....lost. You are going to have to score the ball if you want to win in March and nobody can score like this Kentucky team unless their HC decides to go full turtle, freak out and have guys dribbling 35 ft extended and then initiating offense with 8 secs left which is just stupid when your team has 90 with almost 9 minutes left.
Dead on. We should have scored no less than 115. Going into burn clock/1 shot at the end of the shot clock mode with nearly 10 minutes left bleeds into all aspects of the game and zaps the energy out of both sides of the ball. It’s the equivalent to prevent defense and a soft “just don’t lose the game” mentality instead of a “go win the game” mindset

The last 8 minutes was stall ball for coach courtesy. Our guys may have overdone it, but the game was never in question. Cal wasn't going to break any scoring records on Mike White. Maybe if it was Stackhouse.
Would White have taken the opportunity to put 115 on UK in they were in Athens? You bet.

IMO, that's Cal's biggest weakness....a steadfast refusal to continue to blow someone out. That nice guy routine almost cost the title in 2012.

You never let a weaker opponent hang around.....they gain confidence and you get tight.

Would White have taken the opportunity to put 115 on UK in they were in Athens? You bet.

IMO, that's Cal's biggest weakness....a steadfast refusal to continue to blow someone out. That nice guy routine almost cost the title in 2012.

You never let a weaker opponent hang around.....they gain confidence and you get tight.
I don't know what to tell you. When you get yourself a basketball team you can do it your way.

i was just frustrated with the easy drives GA had. Our guards struggle to keep anyone in front of them. Doesn’t help our best defender is injured

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT