ADVERTISEMENT

'Calipari mulling changes' - ESPN

Calipari was hired for one reason and that was to win games at Kentucky and he is all in putting players in the NBA. I am afraid he will be back next year with the same old sing and dance routine.. He is so hard headed that he will not do what is best for UK. He thinks he is better than the University. I wish he would be gone by this afternoon. He is just not that good of a coach.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I never thought I would see a dumber AD be manipulated by Cal to the detriment of the institution more than RC Johnson was at Memphis.

I was wrong.

Thanks for bailing us out even though we had to endure the Derrick Rose probation, take Josh Pastner off your hands, and fall for Tubby’s retirement journey too.

I started to post yesterday that I fully expected UK to lose yesterday but I knew I would receive death threats. I have absolutely 0 percent faith in cal as a coach. He is limited to being a great recruiter.

I thought Reed played hard in SEC Tournament and didn't have any problem with his play there. Last night he sucked. But he learned Calipari-ese and talked of his "Brothers...." give me a break. I mean when you accomplish nothing and this team didn't accomplish a single thing and should be named the "Unachievables".
I prefer the ''Unavailables''

That last a few days and people move on. That still isn't worth the expense to the school. Everything you have listed so far is simply an emotional cost. They aren't going to make a major financial decision based on emotion.
These emotions aren't simply knee jerk reactions. This is the culmination of years of early tournament flame-outs, mediocre teams with 10+losses, loosing back-to-back-to-back games at Rupp, horrible on court performances, and seeing this guy cash checks at the expense of the program. So when does it go from "emotional" reactions to solid reasoning to rid this program of Calipari?

Not for Michigan’s side.

For that “perfect scenario” to play out, Michigan would need to both want him and be willing to pay a salary comparable to what he makes on that bloated contract at UK. Do you see that happening?

I don’t. At this point, I suspect they think they have better options than our overpaid, underperforming, out-of-touch, self-satisfied egomania
An AD would not take a chance on Cal right now …not based on the last few yrs. He’s way too expensive , etc . It’d potentially cost an AD his job if he didn’t perform as fans would expect . You’d also need a school with fairly loose admissions to get OAD’s all in….def not Michigan

Reactions: delk4three
Lol, it's not immediate. It has to be paid out over the duration of his contract, which has 5 years left. So you have to pay him around 6 million annually, and you're also going to have to pay the new coaches salary, which will be 8million + for a decent coach. That puts you over 14 million annually for basketball coaches salaries, and that isn't accounting for taxes, benefits and everything else associated with it.

That last a few days and people move on. That still isn't worth the expense to the school. Everything you have listed so far is simply an emotional cost. They aren't going to make a major financial decision based on emotion.
RE: Cal's pay - pay him $6 million per year NOT to coach (a good deal, imo), but why do we have to pay someone $8M to replace him? Hell, the Oakland coach makes $330k and coached rings around him. There are plenty of good basketball assistants or coaches at lower levels who, with the enormous resources UKBB has, would win as much or more than Cal at much less salary. I don't think it's imperative we hire a 'name' from another major school and overpay. It's about the Jimmys and Joes and UK has the $$$ and fanbase to make sure our BB coach can recruit top 15+ talent every year. With a coach who is much better at preparation, in-game situations, etc., he'd win here. Let's say we hire the next guy at $4M/yr. That's only an increase of $2M which I think the boosters/athletic dept could pretty easily absorb.

Some ESPN commentator this morning said that Cal isn’t going anywhere. He said too many fans would be upset that they could not see the best players in the country every year playing in Rupp. He said the proof was more than 19,000 fans showed up at every home game this year. Don’t kill the messenger.
DJ Wagner, Kahlil Whintey, BJ Boston, Devin Askew, Justin Edwards, Ugonna Kingsley, and Sahvir Wheeler, Jacob Toppin are the best players in th ecountry?

After he said he was thinking of changing then after that he said he will probably just keep it the same because he likes the group coming in. May pick up a veteran or two, like he always has. So the frustration will just continue next season waiting all year for these kids to grow up playing against 24 year olds. That tells you winning is not that big of a deal compared to making kids rich. Because if he was serious about changing and winning he knows he has to go get a few good portal guys and cut back on the freshmen some. Can't imagine another year of this off and on stuff.

RE: Cal's pay - pay him $6 million per year NOT to coach (a good deal, imo), but why do we have to pay someone $8M to replace him? Hell, the Oakland coach makes $330k and coached rings around him. There are plenty of good basketball assistants or coaches at lower levels who, with the enormous resources UKBB has, would win as much or more than Cal at much less salary. I don't think it's imperative we hire a 'name' from another major school and overpay. It's about the Jimmys and Joes and UK has the $$$ and fanbase to make sure our BB coach can recruit top 15+ talent every year. With a coach who is much better at preparation, in-game situations, etc., he'd win here. Let's say we hire the next guy at $4M/yr. That's only an increase of $2M which I think the boosters/athletic dept could pretty easily absorb.
Because people are GREEDY. The next coaching candidate's agent will say "but Cal got this much, we're not okaying this until we get...."

It really doesn't matter who comes in if we still have this staff. - It will be a 10 or more loss season and early exits from the tournaments.
Not necessarily. The new coach could say "this is how we're going to run things. You're going to be responsible for teaching this, and you're teaching that". I get the feeling that Cal has been the type who says "I am the one who will be doing these things, you guys will deal with the player's camps and families, and coddling guys, and DON'T TELL ME NO".

Same old BS after every disappointing season. What really gripes my a$$, though, is two separate comments in the article Cal begins with 'we've helped so many kids...'. Is UKBB now a charitable organization? Is it our mission to 'help' kids? I want players to get educated and prepared for life, sure. But Cal's focus is and has been for a while making sure a few get drafted. Well, that's not his job.

The remainder of the article could have been written several years ago. Game has changed, I've always won with young kids, they're taking it hard, blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, 'we've helped so many kids'. Get him out of here.

Until he's gone, I won't watch another second of UKBB.
Like the changes he made at halftime last night. Start Bradshaw, problems solved.

Brilliant.

Not necessarily. The new coach could say "this is how we're going to run things. You're going to be responsible for teaching this, and you're teaching that". I get the feeling that Cal has been the type who says "I am the one who will be doing these things, you guys will deal with the player's camps and families, and coddling guys, and DON'T TELL ME NO".
Sorry, I was referring to the players Cal will bring in. And I tend to agree with you comments. GO CATS!!

Not sure how we pay the buy out. It's a lot of dinero. Mitch needs fired too.

As for who can do better? As a recruiter, not many if any. As an in-game coach, almost anyone.

Cal was never an in game coach, he was a system coach and he system worked until the game changed and he didn't
Thats just it. If Cal would drop his pride just a little bit and stop acting like in game coaching is for Nerds and Bennies and start focusing on things he could do to make a 6-8 point difference himself once every game tips off . . . the whole landscape changes for the better for him and the program.

Ive said it over and over again, in todays climate of spread around talent and parity the coaching has become EVERYTHING. The majority of games will come down to single digit battles no matter what you think your talent level is vs them and if the coach himself makes a 6-8 point differene in his schemes, bench management, play calls, mathups, situational adjustments, defensive and offensive adjustments. . . . it's 6 -8 more wins a year.

Reactions: AGEE11
Same old BS after every disappointing season. What really gripes my a$$, though, is two separate comments in the article Cal begins with 'we've helped so many kids...'. Is UKBB now a charitable organization? Is it our mission to 'help' kids? I want players to get educated and prepared for life, sure. But Cal's focus is and has been for a while making sure a few get drafted. Well, that's not his job.

The remainder of the article could have been written several years ago. Game has changed, I've always won with young kids, they're taking it hard, blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, 'we've helped so many kids'. Get him out of here.

Until he's gone, I won't watch another second of UKBB.

Right. Our program is the middle man, the place holder for John Calipari and his 5 star recruits. We are being used at Cal's disposal, and when it's all said and done, he can gloat about ending generational poverty for x number of young men. Meanwhile, the program is in shambles. This is where we're at.

Let's say we hire the next guy at $4M/yr. That's only an increase of $2M which I think the boosters/athletic dept could pretty easily absorb.
The athletic department won't be absorbing anything. As a whole it profited $5 million last year. That's after everything, all the money the football and basketball team made and the SEC media payouts. The athletic department won't be finding any money in its own coffers for Cal's buyout or the next coach's salary. It will have to come from external sources.

The Crafts just gave the school $7.5 million for renovations to Nutter Field House. I dont know how much more they'd be willing to give, and you'd think boosters are going to want a slam dunk hire before they pony up for Cal's buyout. Spending $33 million to hire a coach that doesn't move the needle is a big ask.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT