ADVERTISEMENT

That Last 10 Minutes Was Brutal.

We don’t even need a full team healthy. We could have 2 guys injured and we’d still have plenty of depth
Depends on the guys, like I think DJ Dilly Mitchell Reed Reeves have to be healthy. Then Adou and probably Z look to be the most important next players. The others are a luxury for depth. I think we need the consistency of Reeves and Mitchell. The 2 PG’s for different styles, the shooting and passing of Reed, the tenacity and defense of Adou, and the skill of Z.

Reactions: storm1507
Okay a couple of things….Jimmy Dykes confirmed last game the analytics say: Wagner & Dillingham are two of the three worst on-ball defenders in the SEC. CLEARLY they need to almost never play together to mitigate the defensive ineptitude. I would also say that Edwards is just as bad as those two he just simply doesn’t play enough to allow his metrics to get that low. So a lot of the defense after Adou gets back is trying to stagger our terrible defenders so they play together as little as possible. Also having re-watched the games several times A LOT of the defensive issues can be fixed. Wagner overplays too much toward the paint when there is already a help defender which allows ball-reversal open looks. Edwards can’t get matched up with his man in transition to save his life. He actually moves his feet okay and is decent in isolation Defense but he can’t identify his man in transition quick enough giving up countless open looks. Dillingham is just a total mess on defense….he is stealthy the worst defender on the team but applies decent ball-pressure so your eye isn’t drawn to it. Off-ball….he is a total disaster that can’t handle switches. He constantly switches late or switches onto the wrong player giving up a wide open look. The take away is all those issues are MENTAL and fixable.

I just wish Cal would instill a killer instinct in his teams. This team is scoring the exact same amount right now as the 96 title team (91.6). That team though held their opponents to 8 less points a game (69) than this one (77). With the performances we've seen in the SEC so far by us, that number will keep climbing.

That was my favorite thing about Pitino teams. They rarely let teams get back into games. Even with the end of the bench players in the game, I don't recall losing 20+ points off of a lead. I guess that's the problem with being a young team all of the time.

Right! We are getting better on defense but that 7-8 minute stretch was possibly the worst I've ever witnessed. Not only defense but pretty much every aspect. Too close to letting them back into the game. Way too close. I said it before but this team seems to play up to the level of the competition and they get lazy with a lead like that. They've got heart but lack that killer instinct. They need to go for the jugular and not let up.

Thrilled with Big Z. Couldn't be happier for him or our Cats but I wouldn't expect him to keep that up. If they get more time together though, look out. He made some passes that were there but the team mate wasn't looking for. He may be up there with Reed with passing the ball and seeing the floor. If so, that's just scary for a 7 footer to have that. Not to mention his shooting. Looks pure and it was working for him last night. Freak!

I can envision lobs from Z to Shep! And the other way around.
Good comments. I was sick of watching Melendez make high flying dunks in the last 5 minutes.
Im not sure how many lobs we tried but it wasn't a lot. Man, with 2 7'ers in the game and the way we were penetrating, it was a head scratcher.
But one helluva of an electric atmosphere!!
Happy for Z and a good win.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
The Def isn't great. But last night, the late game lack of killer instict and focus was the issue, not the total defensive ability. Simply put, they coasted cause they could.
Unfortunately that will get this team beat, against a better team.

We average 78 possessions a game. Which means the other team will also get around that many. We're going to give up more points just based on that. We average 1.22 points per possession, which is #1 in the country. The defense needs some cleaning up for sure. But the sky ain't falling.
The idea is for us to score early and often, while making the other team work hard to get good looks at the basket. That's how we get better offensive efficiency and it comes down to defense. Yes, playing our style is gonna to give the other team more opportunities but we should not make it easy for them to turn possessions into points. We can't limit their possessions but we can limit how they use them. We can turn them over and pressure them into mistakes. We have not good, but great depth at virtually every spot on the floor and fouls should not be an issue. Use them if need be to keep the other team from doing anything easily. Pitino did it well and Nolan Richardson possibly did it best, with his 40 minutes of hell style on defense. Tips, deflections, blocked shots and shot clock violations, as well as just mental breakdowns by the other teams offense created by an unrelenting style of defense. I think those things leave a ton of room for us to improve defensively from where we are as a team. We should be hammering teams and we really have no glaring weaknesses from a player perspective but a ton of team defensive weaknesses.

In a nutshell, I want our defense to look and play like our offense. We can do that with this set of players and no matter what anyone says, defense travels and it carries a team that relies as much as we do on perimeter shooting. Forget the line on the floor. You live and die with perimeter shooting. Defense, rebounding and interior scoring are enough to work on, at least for this week Lol!

It was a non-stop layup drill for GA the last part of the 2nd half- Goose Givens stated that about 5-6 times during that time period - our guards have got to get better defensively
IF I have the stats right UGA made 9 layups in the second half to 8 for UK.

It was a blowout. We played much better defense until we took our foot off the gas and SEC officials inserted themselves into the game. Gave them 6 points.

The game was never in doubt. Dillingham didn’t play well.

Theiro still out. Yet we out rebounded them.

Rupp Arena was electric.

Big Z showed out. Reeves went for over 2000 points for his career.

It was just a wonderful evening in Lexington!!

The CHC just has to keep hating. It’s in their DNA now.

Dead on. We should have scored no less than 115. Going into burn clock/1 shot at the end of the shot clock mode with nearly 10 minutes left bleeds into all aspects of the game and zaps the energy out of both sides of the ball. It’s the equivalent to prevent defense and a soft “just don’t lose the game” mentality instead of a “go win the game” mindset
Kinda hard to get out and run and play up temp when we were constantly taking the ball out of the basket.

Maybe our players were shocked to learn, like us, that it's Big Z's world and we're just living in it.

I just wish Cal would instill a killer instinct in his teams. This team is scoring the exact same amount right now as the 96 title team (91.6). That team though held their opponents to 8 less points a game (69) than this one (77). With the performances we've seen in the SEC so far by us, that number will keep climbing.

That was my favorite thing about Pitino teams. They rarely let teams get back into games. Even with the end of the bench players in the game, I don't recall losing 20+ points off of a lead. I guess that's the problem with being a young team all of the time.
The 96 team were mostly seniors that makes a huge difference

The 96 team were mostly seniors that makes a huge difference
That is false.

Wayne Turner Freshman
Ron Mercer Freshman
Nazr Mohammed Freshman
Oliver Simmons Freshman
Antoine Walker Sophomore
Allen Edwards Sophomore
Anthony Epps Junior
Derek Anderson Junior
Jeff Sheppard Junior
Mark Pope Senior
Tony Delk Senior
Walter McCarty Senior
Jared Prickett (Redshirted)

Still more experienced than this year, but not near being all seniors.

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
The players knew the game was won and dropped intensity. Cal will get after them for that. I am sure. Credit Georgia players for continuing to play hard. I have seen many SEC teams over the years when UK is hammering them quit and go thru the motions to end the game. As good as UK played for 30 minutes the last 10 gave Cal coaching opportunities and players some learning opportunities coming out of this game.

It was 7:43 left and a 28-point lead. Tre and Reed went to the bench at the same time. Not the best recipe when the 2 best leaders sit together but ultimately it was a lead that was impossible to overcome.

It's pretty simple, they got up almost 30 points and coasted the rest of the game. Not really a big deal (although it'll give Cal a good reason to run them quite a bit in practice) and doesn't say much about the team having a "killer instinct" or not. If you think the team will quit up 15 in a NCAA tournament game against Kansas or someone, then I guess keep acting like the sky is falling. But that and last night are two incredibly different scenarios. Last night doesn't really say anything other than a young team got lazy and coasted the final 8 minutes of a game after being up nearly 30 against an average team.
Ralph Dalton's post pretty much nukes yours. It wasn't that "simple." A series of unfortunate events including the refs getting involved, a flagrant, two techs, and stall ball contributed mightily to that loss of lead.

It was a blowout. We played much better defense until we took our foot off the gas and SEC officials inserted themselves into the game. Gave them 6 points.

The game was never in doubt. Dillingham didn’t play well.

Theiro still out. Yet we out rebounded them.

Rupp Arena was electric.

Big Z showed out. Reeves went for over 2000 points for his career.

It was just a wonderful evening in Lexington!!

The CHC just has to keep hating. It’s in their DNA now.
Cal admitted that we played terrible defense. Is he a CHC hater too?

Players should give 100% on every play and the coach is in charge of subbing them when they are tired and for how they play with a big lead vs a tie game. Stall ball or slowing it down rather than running up the score is the coach's call. The score should have no bearing on the players effort. I just don't see any other way of looking at it. Cal tried subbing and getting their attention but he should not have had to coach effort. Since when do the players get to dictate how hard they should play? Sorry but lack of effort should not be rewarded or justified.

Players should give 100% on every play and the coach is in charge of subbing them when they are tired and for how they play with a big lead vs a tie game. Stall ball or slowing it down rather than running up the score is the coach's call. The score should have no bearing on the players effort. I just don't see any other way of looking at it. Cal tried subbing and getting their attention but he should not have had to coach effort. Since when do the players get to dictate how hard they should play? Sorry but lack of effort should not be rewarded or justified.
Brand new account - check
Defends cal at expense of players - check
Troll confirmed

Brand new account - check
Defends cal at expense of players - check
Troll confirmed
Whatever man. Far from a troll and I'm not a Cal hater, which seems to bother some people. He does some stupid things at times, no doubt but he's still the best fit for this team right now. I really don't know who I'd take over him when you look at the whole picture.
Lack of effort should always be called out and should never be rewarded. I don't care who the coach is. He shouldn't have to coach effort.

Looks like you're a wiley old veteran of a year and a half on here. Belated "welcome aboard"!

Last edited:
Whatever man. Far from a troll and I'm not a Cal hater, which seems to bother some people. He does some stupid things at times, no doubt but he's still the best fit for this team right now. I really don't know who I'd take over him when you look at the whole picture.
Lack of effort should always be called out and should never be rewarded. I don't care who the coach is. He shouldn't have to coach effort.

Looks like you're a wiley old veteran of a year and a half on here. Belated "welcome aboard"!
Solid response, actually. Respect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT