ADVERTISEMENT

'Calipari mulling changes' - ESPN

Obviously.

UK isn't paying to fire him. Cal isn't quitting or taking a settlement. Fans are still filling seats and traveling in support, so it's not costing UK anything to retain him so far. Mitch has already had to fire the WBB coach and Stoops tried to bolt this offseason. We also had a lot of turnover among FB assistant coaches. Barnhart will not being making any big changes with Cal this year as he knows he will lose every current recruit and player. The new coach will have to essentially build a team from the portal and risk being far worse next year. It would also likely guarantee Reed doesn't return.
I can’t believe Reed would leave if Cal was let go. That makes zero sense.

Obviously.

UK isn't paying to fire him. Cal isn't quitting or taking a settlement. Fans are still filling seats and traveling in support, so it's not costing UK anything to retain him so far. Mitch has already had to fire the WBB coach and Stoops tried to bolt this offseason. We also had a lot of turnover among FB assistant coaches. Barnhart will not being making any big changes with Cal this year as he knows he will lose every current recruit and player. The new coach will have to essentially build a team from the portal and risk being far worse next year. It would also likely guarantee Reed doesn't return.
Reeed can leave if it gets calipari fired or he leaves. Cal isn’t gonna do jack shit with him as a coach

Mitch could inform Cal that we will be hiring a offensive and defensive coordinator and they will have complete control of their aspects of the game, in game and practice. Cal will be recruiting and public relations coordinator. Mitch has the power to do this and I think most would be good with this. If Cal doesn't like it he can quit, I'm good either way.

Obviously.

A couple of very good points. And you want to promote something with worse timing than this NIL deal?

Both coaches make over $8M+ and they want fans to pony up more. Talk about a legitimate Ponzi scheme.

Not sure how anyone can still ask the question “who can do better”. Are we to believe that KY is now incapable of winning games in March and should just be happy with being in the tournament, One win in 5 years and who can do better? How about anyone. I honestly believe team could have won last night if they spent last week on their own preparing for the game and just coached themselves.
This.

Reactions: mattrudd
It would be different if it looked like winning games was ever the goal. We have guys running around screens and throwing the ball into empty corners. Where's the court awareness there? What are you playing 6 on 5? The offense was stacked and yet nonexistent. Don't let your team let you expose your incompetence l. Down 5 with like 20 seconds we're slow jogging the ball up court and running screen action. It baffled me seeing 0 extra effort to change the outcome of that game. I can see it in Robs game but Reed will get ate alive at the next level if he's that timid. If Chandler from freinds is getting any shot he wants on you, what are the NBA guys gonna do? It hurts to watch and know the outcomes gonna be bad

Same old BS after every disappointing season. What really gripes my a$$, though, is two separate comments in the article Cal begins with 'we've helped so many kids...'. Is UKBB now a charitable organization? Is it our mission to 'help' kids? I want players to get educated and prepared for life, sure. But Cal's focus is and has been for a while making sure a few get drafted. Well, that's not his job.

The remainder of the article could have been written several years ago. Game has changed, I've always won with young kids, they're taking it hard, blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, 'we've helped so many kids'. Get him out of here.

Until he's gone, I won't watch another second of UKBB.
The only changes he should be mulling are his job title.

In regards to watching next year.. I just don't see how this lesser group of recruits is going to have any better results. I'm thinking we will lose a lot of games be on the bubble, bow out early.

We would need some big names to come back for me to watch in the first few months. I'm not tuning in for Fland and a bunch of sub 20 type recruits. If Dilly, Reed and Reeves couldn't avoid a 10 loss season that ended in the 1st round.. what will the next crop do.
We’d need some returnees and about three impact players out of the portal. But top portal guys aren’t coming here to backup hotshot freshmen. We’re way over recruiting high school players. But if the coach doesn’t see that how does it ever change?

“It’s a good question. Like, I’ve done this with young teams my whole career, and it’s going to be hard for me to change that, because we’ve helped so many young people and their families that I don’t see myself just saying, okay, we’re not going to recruit freshmen.”

Reactions: gojvc
In regards to watching next year.. I just don't see how this lesser group of recruits is going to have any better results. I'm thinking we will lose a lot of games be on the bubble, bow out early.

We would need some big names to come back for me to watch in the first few months. I'm not tuning in for Fland and a bunch of sub 20 type recruits. If Dilly, Reed and Reeves couldn't avoid a 10 loss season that ended in the 1st round.. what will the next crop do.
I was just thinking that. Does it matter who he gets to come? Not really. Unless he gets the 5 best and oldest college players that don’t need any coaching.

I can’t believe Reed would leave if Cal was let go. That makes zero sense.
You should go read Reed's statements regarding Cal and the staff from last night, as well as throughout the season and his recruitment. It's clear he thinks very highly of Cal. Not to mention, Reed has played his way to FOY and a likely lottery pick in 1 season under Cal, while coming in as the least heralded recruit. He played the most minutes of any Freshman and was always in at crunch time. It's more about what Reed believes than what you or I believe.

Reeed can leave if it gets calipari fired or he leaves. Cal isn’t gonna do jack shit with him as a coach
I mean, Reed has personally done very will under Coach Cal.

Reactions: ukcatz12
Greenberg on espn just said that cal will be the coach next year, they are buddies so they must have talked after the game. I hate eveything man, this fraud cannot come here next year please no
Great another not fun year. I’m not looking
Please, Hurley is the biggest asshole in the sport and has been past the round of 32 once in his career
he’s got it rolling now, he’s got a title and will definitely get 2 before Cal will.

You should go read Reed's statements regarding Cal and the staff from last night, as well as throughout the season and his recruitment. It's clear he thinks very highly of Cal. Not to mention, Reed has played his way to FOY and a likely lottery pick in 1 season under Cal, while coming in as the least heralded recruit. He played the most minutes of any Freshman and was always in at crunch time. It's more about what Reed believes than what you or I believe.

And Kentucky was still a badly coached team. Calipari can have all star teams and still lose. I don’t give a shit if Reed comes back, cal would still be a shit coach with him and lose early in the tourney

How about mulling over the difference between an and 1 and a two shot foul so we don't look like dumbasses when the ball gets tossed out of bounds to the referee and we lose the possession.
That was so embarrassing, for real the refs messed that up but damn.

Reed sure took on the personality of his coach last night. Butt puckered and scared of Oakland.

And Kentucky was still a badly coached team. Calipari can have all star teams and still lose. I don’t give a shit if Reed comes back, cal would still be a shit coach with him and lose early in the tourney
That's a completely different argument. I am just explaining to you why Cal won't be let go this year, or likely next either. I am not telling you he is still a good coach.
Reed sure took on the personality of his coach last night. Butt puckered and scared of Oakland.
All the freshman played like freshman. It is what it is. Reeves and Mitchell played like upperclassmen who had been there.

Regarding Calipari and how that affects Sheppard coming back.

Here's the thing with Calipari. Players that come back don't get better. There's a reason why he pushes players out to the NBA. If they come back and keep coming back, they don't get better. That exposes his lack of coaching ability.

Take a look at other blue blood or blue blood want to be programs. They have players that start as freshmen, come back, get a little bit better as sophomores, come back and by their junior and seniors years they are a force. Calipari can't do that.

Mulling changes? Sorriest coach in the country because of the way he does things. He can't adjust in games. He can't build a mature roster. He can't start his best players. He can't motivate. He can't guard the three. He can't teach seven footers how to effectively post up and score. Could go on and on. It was embarrassing the size difference against Oakland. They had 0 depth. Why would you not wear them out inside from the get go and foul two or three out? How could you not have a better plan to guard the three point shooter, say maybe pressure full court and wear his legs out since we have the depth on them? How could you not prep your guards for long rebounds since they shoot a ton of threes?

I don't know how you change just being a bad coach. Even if he started getting more older players you still are going to have a coach that is not good prepping for team, not good at adjusting in game and can't even start and play the right players.

That's a completely different argument. I am just explaining to you why Cal won't be let go this year, or likely next either. I am not telling you he is still a good coach.

All the freshman played like freshman. It is what it is. Reeves and Mitchell played like upperclassmen who had been there.
Bottom line is they did not play like that all season so again, it’s Cal fault like always. We have had upperclassmen, and underclass men and it always ends the same. Reed could have been a 5th year senior in his 5th opening round game and it wouldn’t matter.

Reactions: delk4three
I am 68 and I hope I get to watch a another UK game before I die. I will and I repeat never watch another game he coaches at UK.
I'm 61, and only watched two....TWO games all season, and I refuse to watch ONE next year if that POS is still our coach.

Cal has just killed....KILLED my passion for my team, and for that I truly hate the man.

Agreed. I'm so sick of being held hostage by Reed Sheppard thoughts. He played like a scared slapdick last night. Could give a damn what he does/doesn't like about the HC situation. He also had UVA/Tony Bennett as an option. Maybe he's attracted to loser HC's who align in pissing off their fans?

I get it your are saying the rational argument, but our AD cannot keep him, we cannot keep him, the fanbase has to put pressure and end this, it has to end

How about mulling over the difference between an and 1 and a two shot foul so we don't look like dumbasses when the ball gets tossed out of bounds to the referee and we lose the possession.
Thanks for making me laugh. I have never in the history of basketball ever seen that before.

Agreed. I'm so sick of being held hostage by Reed Sheppard thoughts. He played like a scared slapdick last night. Could give a damn what he does/doesn't like about the HC situation. He also had UVA/Tony Bennett as an option. Maybe he's attracted to loser HC's who align in pissing off their fans?
He really did, I expected him to wake up second half but he was just out there. I’ve never seen anything like it but as usual Cal had no answers. Didn’t even take a timeout.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
The three freshmen guards were worse than awful last night.

We'll miss the tournament.

Cal we decline and NIT to get an early start NOT utilizing the transfer portal.

The three freshmen guards were worse than awful last night.
Dillingham has that in his game--but I didn't think he was scared. Just bad.

Sheppard was an emotional wreck but you have to play him.

DJ Wagner's minutes were wasting time/helping the opponent.

Sports has guys no-show and poor play. That's fine. I appreciate the efforts of Rob/Reed but I'm TIRED of hearing "What if Reed won't come back"......as if that matters? He wants to be here. Fine. Get to a point you don't piss yourself at the idea of having no safety net of another game. But it's also not hating Kentucky basketball to point out he has faults as a player as well. Now do I agree with fans he should've started? Absolutely. But he was a nightmare and personally got that 39 yr old shooter going with his disgusting defensive play.

This isn't Cal or Reed Sheppard University. It's Kentucky.

Reactions: NociHTTP and gojvc
I get it your are saying the rational argument, but our AD cannot keep him, we cannot keep him, the fanbase has to put pressure and end this, it has to end
Sure he can, and he will. Again, how much has this financially cost UK so far? People bitching for a few days on social media while they let their emotions simmer isn't costing UK any money.

Sure he can, and he will. Again, how much has this financially cost UK so far? People bitching for a few days on social media while they let their emotions simmer isn't costing UK any money.
They are gonna feel it when people won’t donate, when they don’t travel, and don’t fill up the seats because they are tired of the clown 🤡 show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT