ADVERTISEMENT

'Calipari mulling changes' - ESPN

Rob was the only one competing in the SEC T too.
I thought Reed played hard in SEC Tournament and didn't have any problem with his play there. Last night he sucked. But he learned Calipari-ese and talked of his "Brothers...." give me a break. I mean when you accomplish nothing and this team didn't accomplish a single thing and should be named the "Unachievables".

I thought Reed played hard in SEC Tournament and didn't have any problem with his play there. Last night he sucked. But he learned Calipari-ese and talked of his "Brothers...." give me a break. I mean when you accomplish nothing and this team didn't accomplish a single thing and should be named the "Unachievables".
That’s about what they were, I said they were the most overhyped team I’ve seen here.

That’s about what they were, I said they were the most overhyped team I’ve seen here.
I think it's a reflection where society is today. Specifically in athletics. Winning is behind hype-and we excuse losses and failure because...they have talent. What makes UK fans angry is there was potential to make a good team into a contender and again we're let down. I know it's old to hear me say this but you never learn anything from losing. Not a ****ing thing. You learn to lose and you won't measure up when it's time to measure up. This team failed so many tests it wasn't going make a run deep into the NCAA's and yes '14 didn't achieve much in regular season-but they did make a run to SEC Tournament and played a damn good game against the #1 UF team in SEC Championship game. That showed they could get it--had a lot more promise too because fans were not as upset seeing they won in '12 and '13 season was trending to be a Sweet 16 caliber team if Noel doesn't go down. But this? What has UK won recently that has anyone buying the BS Cal is selling?

He's told the UK fanbase that:

1. Pre Conference Tournaments don't matter
2. Difficult home/home don't matter
3. Rivalries don't matter
4. Losing doesn't matter (pretend you win is an all time Cal quote)
5. Regular season SEC games don't matter
6. SEC Tournament means nothing
7. NCAA Tournament doesn't matter if you are young

He's come up with 7 different ways to tell fans "I think YOU don't matter" and is pompous enough to believe the fans will accept it. They aren't. Barnhart is a cuckold loser and Cal is making him lap up all his DNA while the only people miserable are BBN. It's maddening and sickening.

I think it's a reflection where society is today. Specifically in athletics. Winning is behind hype-and we excuse losses and failure because...they have talent. What makes UK fans angry is there was potential to make a good team into a contender and again we're let down. I know it's old to hear me say this but you never learn anything from losing. Not a ****ing thing. You learn to lose and you won't measure up when it's time to measure up. This team failed so many tests it wasn't going make a run deep into the NCAA's and yes '14 didn't achieve much in regular season-but they did make a run to SEC Tournament and played a damn good game against the #1 UF team in SEC Championship game. That showed they could get it--had a lot more promise too because fans were not as upset seeing they won in '12 and '13 season was trending to be a Sweet 16 caliber team if Noel doesn't go down. But this? What has UK won recently that has anyone buying the BS Cal is selling?

He's come up with 7 different ways to tell fans "I think YOU don't matter" and is pompous enough to believe the fans will accept it. They aren't. Barnhart is a cuckold loser and Cal is making him lap up all his DNA while the only people miserable are BBN. It's maddening and sickening.
Exactly and now built for March is his whole schtick and we see how that’s worked out.

Same old BS after every disappointing season. What really gripes my a$$, though, is two separate comments in the article Cal begins with 'we've helped so many kids...'. Is UKBB now a charitable organization? Is it our mission to 'help' kids? I want players to get educated and prepared for life, sure. But Cal's focus is and has been for a while making sure a few get drafted. Well, that's not his job.

The remainder of the article could have been written several years ago. Game has changed, I've always won with young kids, they're taking it hard, blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, 'we've helped so many kids'. Get him out of here.

Until he's gone, I won't watch another second of UKBB.
First he will never change he is too stubborn and face it a horrible bench coach. Second he has not helped one kid, he recruits 5 star kids who are going to the NBA and Cal really has nothing to do with that. Those kids would be in the NBA if they went to Morehead St.

The fan complaints aren’t dying down until he leaves
Fan compaints aren't a cost to the University. Nor are they really a concern. Some are going to complain no matter what.

Money is what talks, and so far, UK isn't seeing a financial impact due to Cal or UK basketball that would warrant the changes you all want.

The most glaring of all was saying draft night is the best night in Kentucky history.

His priorities are wrong for UK, for the fans, for the boosters and for the long term health of the bb program. I appreciate everything that he has done for the university, but it is time to part company.

If I were the powers that be, I would ask Danny Hurley how much he wants and give it to him. He is a coach who knows how to build a winning team. He also recognizes mismatches and makes in game adjustments. Calipari appears to have reached his zenith and HE needs a change. His priorities were misguided from the get go but, in the beginning, they helped him to win. Now, he has to be more of a coach and not just a recruiter/agent for his players and he simply cannot live up to those requirements.

I hope the administration does the right thing for both parties and moves forward.

Cal may be mulling changes BUT so are the fans...you can guess what the first change would be.

Obviously.

UK isn't paying to fire him. Cal isn't quitting or taking a settlement. Fans are still filling seats and traveling in support, so it's not costing UK anything to retain him so far. Mitch has already had to fire the WBB coach and Stoops tried to bolt this offseason. We also had a lot of turnover among FB assistant coaches. Barnhart will not being making any big changes with Cal this year as he knows he will lose every current recruit and player. The new coach will have to essentially build a team from the portal and risk being far worse next year. It would also likely guarantee Reed doesn't return.
I don't speak for everyone, but I"M willing to take that (a year or two rebuild) just to get a coach in here that values building a dominate program for the kids that play for him, the fans that support him, and the university that pays him....

There is no buyout if Cal leaves for Michigan. Perfect scenario for all sides.

Not for Michigan’s side.

For that “perfect scenario” to play out, Michigan would need to both want him and be willing to pay a salary comparable to what he makes on that bloated contract at UK. Do you see that happening?

I don’t. At this point, I suspect they think they have better options than our overpaid, underperforming, out-of-touch, self-satisfied egomaniac.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Fan compaints aren't a cost to the University. Nor are they really a concern. Some are going to complain no matter what.

Money is what talks, and so far, UK isn't seeing a financial impact due to Cal or UK basketball that would warrant the changes you all want.
If cal is the coach here next year Kentucky basketball will be in serious trouble

Not for Michigan’s side.

For that “perfect scenario” to play out, Michigan would need to both want him and be willing to pay a salary comparable to what he makes on that bloated contract at UK. Do you see that happening?

I don’t. At this point, I suspect they think they have better options than our overpaid, underperforming, out-of-touch, self-satisfied egomaniac.
You Could be right. But he would bring recruiting they have not hit on lately.

I don't speak for everyone, but I"M willing to take that (a year or two rebuild) just to get a coach in here that values building a dominate program for the kids that play for him, the fans that support him, and the university that pays him....
And if it wasn't going to cost 34 million, it would be an easier thing to accomplish, but UK isn't paying that when they really aren't economically inventivized to do so. Getting rid of him and acquiring a new one will cost more than just keeping him a few more seasons.

As fans, you all look as wins and losses. The employer looks at a lot more.

And if it wasn't going to cost 34 million, it would be an easier thing to accomplish, but UK isn't paying that when they really aren't economically inventivized to do so. Getting rid of him and acquiring a new one will cost more than just keeping him a few more seasons.

As fans, you all look as wins and losses. The employer looks at a lot more.
I haven't read his contract but I'm willing to bet it's not an immediate payout in his buyout. Meaning, pay that dude a million a year for 34 years and let him walk.
Or offer 10 million and pay yearly there after.

There's options....

I haven't read his contract but I'm willing to bet it's not an immediate payout in his buyout. Meaning, pay that dude a million a year for 34 years and let him walk.
Or offer 10 million and pay yearly there after.

There's options....
Lol, it's not immediate. It has to be paid out over the duration of his contract, which has 5 years left. So you have to pay him around 6 million annually, and you're also going to have to pay the new coaches salary, which will be 8million + for a decent coach. That puts you over 14 million annually for basketball coaches salaries, and that isn't accounting for taxes, benefits and everything else associated with it.

And looks what’s happened to the program they are laughing stock
That last a few days and people move on. That still isn't worth the expense to the school. Everything you have listed so far is simply an emotional cost. They aren't going to make a major financial decision based on emotion.

Lol, it's not immediate. It has to be paid out over the duration of his contract, which has 5 years left. So you have to pay him around 6 million annually, and you're also going to have to pay the new coaches salary, which will be 8million + for a decent coach. That puts you over 14 million annually for basketball coaches salaries, and that isn't accounting for taxes, benefits and everything else associated with it.

That last a few days and people move on. That still isn't worth the expense to the school. Everything you uave listed so far is simply an emotional cost.
You are looking at it solely by the financial aspect which is important. But give me any reason why Kentucky should keep cal? They can’t keep him, buyouts can be paid it’s time to do it for all parties involved

Just read a comment he made after the game. He said their preparation for the game was good that they kept the guys loose. Losing just doesn't bother him like it does a lot of people.
That’s a joke, the preparation wasn’t good. It was obvious the team wasn’t loose, he wasn’t loose. There is an 8 minute video showing the glaring deficiencies on defense that couldn’t have possible been addressed in almost 35 games.

You are looking at it solely by the financial aspect which is important. But give me any reason why Kentucky should keep cal? They can’t keep him, buyouts can be paid it’s time to do it for all parties involved
Financially they cannot afford to fire him. The financial aspect is all that matters to the university.

They aren't hurting by keeping him as there has been no measurable loss during his downward trend, aside from covid when every school lost money. In fact, UK's profits have been increasing.

Firing Cal also has a potential impact on the jobs of Barnhart and Eli, which makes it more beneficial for them to keep him for now.

Additionally, they know the roster turnover and loss of recruits that will transpire as a result of firing him now. They also know the relationship his players have with him, which will negatively impact the university if severed.

There is also no guarantee the next coach has any better results. Nor is there anything that suggest we would get the options we desire at this point.

Keeping him nets you some pissed off fans for a few weeks. Cutting him loose could/would net you a lot of long-term consequences.

Reactions: shyster51
Some ESPN commentator this morning said that Cal isn’t going anywhere. He said too many fans would be upset that they could not see the best players in the country every year playing in Rupp. He said the proof was more than 19,000 fans showed up at every home game this year. Don’t kill the messenger.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Same old BS after every disappointing season. What really gripes my a$$, though, is two separate comments in the article Cal begins with 'we've helped so many kids...'. Is UKBB now a charitable organization? Is it our mission to 'help' kids? I want players to get educated and prepared for life, sure. But Cal's focus is and has been for a while making sure a few get drafted. Well, that's not his job.

The remainder of the article could have been written several years ago. Game has changed, I've always won with young kids, they're taking it hard, blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, 'we've helped so many kids'. Get him out of here.

Until he's gone, I won't watch another second of UKBB.
Sounds like he is coming back. Said first have to figure out who will be back. Then questioned whether he should add a couple of older guys but may not have to because we have a really good group coming in. He isn't going to win much different with that group. And saying would be hard for him to change because of all the kids and families he has helped. He may not change anything.

Reactions: gamecockcat
I laugh at the question from the talking heads : "who can replace Cal?".

Lots of people! That's who!

The chances of finding anyone who can have a run like Cal had early on here is probably pretty slim. But we damn well can do much better than we have the past 4 years with dozens and dozens of coaches. We are trash and will remain trash as long as Cal is here. He isn't going to right the ship. It is time to move on. Our next coach may not end up being a version of the 1990s era Rick Pitino but anyone with a damn pulse would be better than brain dead Cal.

Financially they cannot afford to fire him. The financial aspect is all that matters to the university.

They aren't hurting by keeping him as there has been no measurable loss during his downward trend, aside from covid when every school lost money. In fact, UK's profits have been increasing.

Firing Cal also has a potential impact on the jobs of Barnhart and Eli, which makes it more beneficial for them to keep him for now.

Additionally, they know the roster turnover and loss of recruits that will transpire as a result of firing him now. They also know the relationship his players have with him, which will negatively impact the university if severed.

There is also no guarantee the next coach has any better results. Nor is there anything that suggest we would get the options we desire at this point.

Keeping him nets you some pissed off fans for a few weeks. Cutting him loose could/would net you a lot of long-term consequences.
The university and Mitch have to know this relationship isn’t working anymore though. And I can guarantee you a coach that Kentucky is capable of getting can do better than what cal is currently

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT