ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-Finals GonzoCat90 vs. CowTown Cat

Who would win head to head

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Welcome to the All-Time College Basketball Playoffs for the last 20 years. (2001-2021) *As long as they played in 1 game that year they are eligible*

The objective was to build a team of 10 players that would win head to head vs your opponent such as March Madness.

Bracket

Semi-Finals Matchup

@GonzoCat90 - Kevin Durant, Karl-Anthony Towns, Draymond Green, Victor Oladipo, Ty Lawson, Josh Hart, Ja Morant, DeAndre Hunter, Nick Collison, LaMarcus Aldridge

vs.

@Cowtown Cat - Zion Williamson, Shabazz Napier, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kawhi Leonard, Bam Adebayo, Doron Lamb, Mike Dunleavy, Marvin Bagley, DeAaron Fox, Devin Booker

Think I match up nicely here. Draymond is better equipped than anyone to slow Zion down AND make Zion play defense on the other end.

I love Bam, but he's a bit small to guard KAT and doesn't give you a ton offensively.

MKG can't shoot at all and Durant is just too long and athletic for him to drive on.

I'd put Oladipo on Shabazz and let the DPOY lock him up.

Lamb is mostly a catch and shoot guy and too slow to stay in front of Oladipo or Lawson.

Kawhi and Booker werent Kawhi and Booker in college. Kawhi was an atrocious shooter and Booker couldn't guard a fence post.

Bagley is his only other big and he's a finesse guy. No one to handle KAT, Aldridge, Collison in the paint.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Some shooting stats. Three point percentages:

Fox 24%
MKG 25%
Kawhi 25%
Zion 33%
Bam 0%

Lamb and Dunleavy are great shooters. Shabazz was a good shooter. But it's going to be hard to score on a team with multiple DPOYs and lots of All defensive team members with so many non shooters.

I’m struggling with this matchup. Usually with these I have a pick after a few mins of evaluating but this is just a really even pairing. I’m gonna have to think about it a little longer. I see matchup advantages to both teams.

Reactions: drcats2013
Simply put: the team with the better defense and the better shooters/scorers is going to win most games.

Especially when it has more proven winners.

Think I match up nicely here. Draymond is better equipped than anyone to slow Zion down AND make Zion play defense on the other end.

I love Bam, but he's a bit small to guard KAT and doesn't give you a ton offensively.

MKG can't shoot at all and Durant is just too long and athletic for him to drive on.

I'd put Oladipo on Shabazz and let the DPOY lock him up.

Lamb is mostly a catch and shoot guy and too slow to stay in front of Oladipo or Lawson.

Kawhi and Booker werent Kawhi and Booker in college. Kawhi was an atrocious shooter and Booker couldn't guard a fence post.

Bagley is his only other big and he's a finesse guy. No one to handle KAT, Aldridge, Collison in the paint.
Lamb is a catch and shoot player?! Since when did that happen? Too slow?! 🤣 He was very good at driving to the basket. Kawhi was a second team AA his last year. MKG was a much better defensive player than you’re giving him credit for. Probably the best defensive freshman I’ve ever seen, outside of AD. Draymond slowing down Zion is laughable.

Lamb is a catch and shoot player?! Since when did that happen? Too slow?! 🤣 He was very good at driving to the basket. Kawhi was a second team AA his last year. MKG was a much better defensive player than you’re giving him credit for. Probably the best defensive freshman I’ve ever seen, outside of AD. Draymond slowing down Zion is laughable.

Well you saying all these things sure makes them true I guess.

doron lamb was a really good defender when he was engaged. he also played back up point to teague his sophomore year and played it really well so he was definitely more than a catch and shoot guy. and even if he was just a catch and shoot guy, he would be one of the best ever. 2nd leading scorer on one of the greatest title teams of all time. all time 3pt % leader at the top program of all time. great college player.

Still think gonzo’s team is head and shoulders better than the others.

Wow, what a match up.

Kawhi and MKG to try and slow down KD

Draymond to defend Zion.

Zion/Bam and KAT/Draymond battling in the paint.

Oladipo on Shabazz would be fun to watch. (This does concern me that Lawson has to check Kawhi or MKG, giving up 8 inches to either of them)

This one really has me stumped because the defensive matchups are incredible.

I'll be back later after I think more on it.

One huge strength of my team is rebounding. Taking into account: Zion, Bagley, MKG, Leonard and Bam. Hell, Leonard averaged double digit rebounds at the SF slot in college. Bagley was absurd rebounding the basketball in college. Then, everyone knows how well Bam, MKG and Zion were at rebounding.

Also, don’t sleep on Fox. He holds the all time freshman record for points in a NCAA tournament game, with 39. He accomplished that against a very good UCLA team, that beat UK in Rupp earlier in the same season. He’s a proven tournament performer.

Furthermore, Napier was as clutch as it gets in tournament play. He carried that UConn team in 2014 to the title. He won bookend titles at UConn (2011, 2014).

Reactions: RunninRichie
Wow, what a match up.

Kawhi and MKG to try and slow down KD

Draymond to defend Zion.

Zion/Bam and KAT/Draymond battling in the paint.

Oladipo on Shabazz would be fun to watch. (This does concern me that Lawson has to check Kawhi or MKG, giving up 8 inches to either of them)

This one really has me stumped because the defensive matchups are incredible.

I'll be back later after I think more on it.
I have some really good wings: MKG, Kawhi and Dunleavy. I drafted MKG and Kawhi for defense, rebounding and motor. Then, Dunleavy was an amazing college player. He could do it all at 6’9” and was a great shooter.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Draymond and Durant averaged 11 rebounds a game. KAT averaged 7 in 20 minutes.

Collison and Aldridge were double digit rebounders as well.

Plus my guys blocked shots and could shoot and score.

You can't put a lineup on the court that is as good offensively as mine, and mine has the better defenders.

And I'm talking about objectively better defenders. Not how your heart remembers Doron Lamb.

Your only hope at defending my guys leaves you with no hope of scoring on them. But feel free to trot out Kawhi, MKG, Zion and Bam and shoot 10% from three.

I know we all love them, but the idea that the best team of the last 20 years has Doron Lamb, MKG, and Bam Adebayo on it, much less ALL STARTING and backed up by Fox and Booker is just silly.

It's only the best team if you tune in for Kentucky games and never watched anyone else play.

That’s a tough one. I just think with Zion matched up with those players it would be a beast to stop.

Zion surrounded by no shooters and guarded by the best defensive PF of a generation isn't nearly as productive.

Who guards Kevin Durant? No one on planet earth seems to know yet.

Starting 3pt percentages:

Lawson 47
Oladipo 41
Durant 40
Draymond 39
KAT 25 (but we know that's on Cal, not skill)

That also includes the fastest guy on the court for either team, two defensive players of the year and another All Defensive team member, and a guy who blocked 5 shots per 40 minutes.

Ty Lawson 2nd team AA and champion
Oladipo 1st team AA
Durant 1st team AA and POY
Draymond 1st team AA and champion
KAT 2nd team AA

Napier 1st team AA and champion
Lamb ???? and champion
MKG ???? and champion
Zion 1st team AA and POY
Bam ???? And ????

Kinda looks like two guys who should have been picked and three guys for pandering, doesn't it?

This was a tough one. Gave the edge to Gonzo in this matchup but the margin is pretty thin. Would not be totally surprised if it went the other way.

This was a fun one to imagine.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Ja Morant 1st team, wooden award finalist

Josh Hart 1st team, champion

DeAndre Hunter, 3rd team, DPOY, champion

Nick Collison 1st team, all defense

LaMarcus Aldridge all conference, all defense

But by all means Lamb and Bam and Booker I guess lol. Somebody count up the accolades for them please.

The best part is, there were actual accomplished guys who went undrafted. Great players. Guess where they didn't go to college.

Yea. Just because kawhi wasn’t an extremely well known player due to where he played, it doesn’t negate the obvious impact he’d have for a team in this draft. He’s much more than just an nba name on the college level.
Exactly. Ole Gonzo and his nonsense that sounds good in his head. 🙄

Kinda looks like two guys who should have been picked and three guys for pandering, doesn't it?
Every ex UK player on my roster were beasts in college, excluding Booker. Booker was very good, he just played on a loaded team. He was offensively advanced even as a freshman.

To insinuate that Cal hasn’t had a slew of guys that were some of the best players in college over the past 20 years is absurd. I reckon Lamb was just a catch and shoot guy, too, right? Pandering my ass. 😂

Yea. Just because kawhi wasn’t an extremely well known player due to where he played, it doesn’t negate the obvious impact he’d have for a team in this draft. He’s much more than just an nba name on the college level.

He was a good player. He wasn't Kawhi Leonard. He scored 15 points per game at San Diego State. It took him about three years in the nba before he approached 20ppg or was known as the defensive stopper we know now.

The Spurs developed him. What Cowtown has is a guy who shot 20% from 3 and averaged standard numbers against bad competition relative to this exercise.

Wait, Lawson is faster than Fox?! I’m not so sure about all that.

I said on the floor. Or are you actually going to trot out another guy who couldn't even make an AA team in an ALL TIME draft?

There are 15 AAs every year. Over 20 years that's 300, give or take a few repeats. We drafted 120 guys.

You have at least four guys who didn't make an AA team. Guess what they had in common?

Every ex UK player on my roster were beasts in college, excluding Booker. Booker was very good, he just played on a loaded team. He was offensively advanced even as a freshman.

To insinuate that Cal hasn’t had a slew of guys that were some of the best players in college over the past 20 years is absurd. I reckon Lamb was just a catch and shoot guy, too, right? Pandering my ass. 😂

Jesus Christ. Doron Lamb was not a beast in college.

He was a good role player on a title team. He was at best the fourth best player on his own title team. You're starting him in an all time draft.

Jesus Christ. Doron Lamb was not a beast in college.

He was a good role player on a title team. He was at best the fourth best player on his own title team. You're starting him in an all time draft.
In which, two of those guys were AD and MKG. He was also real good in 2011. He was one of the best shooters in UK history.

I know, he was a slow, one dimensional player. All he could do was catch and shoot. Even though, he also played backup PG both years he was at UK.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT