ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-Finals GonzoCat90 vs. CowTown Cat

Who would win head to head

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I said on the floor. Or are you actually going to trot out another guy who couldn't even make an AA team in an ALL TIME draft?

There are 15 AAs every year. Over 20 years that's 300, give or take a few repeats. We drafted 120 guys.

You have at least four guys who didn't make an AA team. Guess what they had in common?
So making an AA team is the only measure in which to draft from. Got it!

Reactions: BBUK
He was a good player. He wasn't Kawhi Leonard. He scored 15 points per game at San Diego State. It took him about three years in the nba before he approached 20ppg or was known as the defensive stopper we know now.

The Spurs developed him. What Cowtown has is a guy who shot 20% from 3 and averaged standard numbers against bad competition relative to this exercise.
I mean, nobody was who they were after developing in the nba a few years. I agree that Booker probably wasn’t a great pick, but Kawhi was a second team all American that certainly has a place in this draft.

He’s obviously not Durant or KAT level in college, but that doesn’t make him a bad pick. You obviously can’t sell him as an upper echelon player in college just for his name, but that goes for a lot of others, as well.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I’m leaning toward Cowtown. Fair or not, I keep thinking of Durant dominating college ball all year, then flaming out in the second round.

I’m viewing it as “which team do I trust the most in a NCAA Final with everything on the line.” By a razor thin margin, I’m trusting Cowtown’s team.

I’m leaning toward Cowtown. Fair or not, I keep thinking of Durant dominating college ball all year, then flaming out in the second round.

I’m viewing it as “which team do I trust the most in a NCAA Final with everything on the line.” By a razor thin margin, I’m trusting Cowtown’s team.

"Fair or not" lol. That's not even good bait for you.

38 games? Did he not win a title? Surrounded by all that talent and with the best coach of all time?

Wow. Don't tell Aike.

You’re acting as if he wasn’t good in college. Simply pointing out that he was a second team AA at ****ing San Diego State. You act as if it’s the ONLY metric in which to build a team.

No, I'm acting as if it's the most universally agreed upon metric that has proven reliable over the decades, both historically and in present day.

To have 40% of your roster not be one of the 15 best players in the country at the time makes me skeptical they were among the 120 best of the last 20 years. Or anywhere close.

No one drafted a "bad" player in this. But that ain't the standard here. Eric Bledsoe is a fine player but if you took him in an all time NBA draft you'd get laughed at.

No, I'm acting as if it's the most universally agreed upon metric that has proven reliable over the decades, both historically and in present day.

To have 40% of your roster not be one of the 15 best players in the country at the time makes me skeptical they were among the 120 best of the last 20 years. Or anywhere close.

No one drafted a "bad" player in this. But that ain't the standard here. Eric Bledsoe is a fine player but if you took him in an all time NBA draft you'd get laughed at.
Not really. It’s pretty common knowledge that the upperclassmen will get the nod on these AA lists more times than not. I took several underclassmen and blended them with the upperclassmen. Simply because they were much more talented than these “upperclassmen AAs”.

Reactions: Fgpoe03 and BBUK
Made it much further than Durant. K being the GOAT coach is very hyperbolic IMO.

The all time wins leader with 5 titles, in the modern era, in perhaps the toughest conference, with an all time top 3-4 rival, at a small academic school?

I mean come on. Very hyperbolic? If you have him any lower than...second? Third? then you're just being a hater.

Not really. It’s pretty common knowledge that the upperclassmen will get the nod on these AA lists more times than not. I took several underclassmen and blended them with the upperclassmen. Simply because they were much more talented than these “upperclassmen AAs”.

Probably a coincidence that 9/10 of my guys made it then and that your best players did too.

Durant, KAT, Morant--all managed to make it. As freshmen.

Same with Oladipo, Hunter and Lawson as underclassmen.

Draymond, Collison and Hart made it as seniors.

Maybe if you're really good they put you on the All American team. Or at least one of the three.

How many teams would they have needed for Booker and Lamb? Were they even all conference? I'm sure Fox was. Was Bam?

This one is close, but if we’re applying the correct criteria (looking only at college performance and not what they did in the NBA) then Gonzo should win.

Devin Booker and Kawhi Leonard are clear examples of players who didn’t make their mark until after they got to the NBA. Booker never even started a game in college. And Leonard couldn’t shoot worth shit in college. He was only 25% from threes in his college career. He didn’t develop his jump shot until he was in the pros.

So two of the biggest names on Cowtown’s team really shouldn’t be given all that much weight in this game …IF voters are applying the correct criteria.

Last edited:
This one is quite close, but if we’re applying the correct criteria (looking only at college performance and not what they did in the NBA) then Gonzo should win.

Devin Booker and Kawhi Leonard are clear examples of players who didn’t really make their mark until after they got to the NBA. Booker never even started a game in college. And Leonard couldn’t shoot worth shit in college. He was only 25% from threes in his college career. He didn’t really develop his jump shot until he was in the pros.

So two of the biggest names on Cowtown’s team really shouldn’t be given all that much weight in this game …IF voters are applying the correct criteria.

Narrator: they aren't.

The pander-off was last round and that was your de facto title game.

Three guys who shouldn't have been drafted, two of them are starters. Bet you can't guess what they have in common.

Reactions: UK90
This one is close, but if we’re applying the correct criteria (looking only at college performance and not what they did in the NBA) then Gonzo should win.

Devin Booker and Kawhi Leonard are clear examples of players who didn’t really make their mark until after they got to the NBA. Booker never even started a game in college. And Leonard couldn’t shoot worth shit in college. He was only 25% from threes in his college career. He didn’t develop his jump shot until he was in the pros.

Booker didn’t start a college game, but most likely should have started. He was better than Aaron Harrison as a freshman. The numbers back that up. Just because Cal started the twins doesn’t necessarily mean they were a better backcourt than Booker/Ulis.

Kawhi Leonard was a second team AA at SDSU. It wasn’t like he was a scrub in college. Not sure why that narrative is being thrown around, but whatever.

Reactions: Fgpoe03 and BBUK
Probably a coincidence that 9/10 of my guys made it then and that your best players did too.

Durant, KAT, Morant--all managed to make it. As freshmen.

Same with Oladipo, Hunter and Lawson as underclassmen.

Draymond, Collison and Hart made it as seniors.

Maybe if you're really good they put you on the All American team. Or at least one of the three.

How many teams would they have needed for Booker and Lamb? Were they even all conference? I'm sure Fox was. Was Bam?
Morant actually wasn’t an AA as a freshman. He was as a sophomore, though. 🤔

Wish I had a nickel for every time you use the term “pander”. 🤣

Wish I had a nickel for every draft ruined by it.

Same draft acknowledged that we couldn't include AD for that very reason. So y'all just took every other Cat instead, and Norse had the audacity to cry that I ruined the spirit of the thing.

• Haha
Reactions: DraftCat
The all time wins leader with 5 titles, in the modern era, in perhaps the toughest conference, with an all time top 3-4 rival, at a small academic school?

I mean come on. Very hyperbolic? If you have him any lower than...second? Third? then you're just being a hater.
With more help from officiating, the NCAA and media than any other coach in history, except possibly Wooden. He was gifted every title he’s ever won. Be it officiating, easy draws or a combination of both.

Funny you mention the ACC. When was the last time K won the conference outright? Correct, over a decade ago. Those are some real GOAT accolades there.

Last edited:
Wish I had a nickel for every draft ruined by it.

Same draft acknowledged that we couldn't include AD for that very reason. So y'all just took every other Cat instead, and Norse had the audacity to cry that I ruined the spirit of the thing.

You've been a little high strung this go around. Everything okay? Seems like your taking everything pretty personal

Gonzo undervaluing Doron Lamb as a college player. I think there are a lot of combinations of players that Lamb would be the perfect fit with in this format. He’s one of the best floor stretchers of all time.
Not to mention, he’s so much more than just a catch and shoot player. Nevermind the spin that Gonzo is putting on him.

He could put the ball on the floor and beat you to the bucket, he was a good passer, use the one dribble pull up, had a great midrange game, etc. All the while, rarely turning the ball over and he could play damn good defense. Anyone that doesn’t believe me, go back and watch games when he was at Kentucky.

By the way, he shot 49% from 3 as a freshman and 47% as a sophomore. Every time he shot it, you thought it was going in. Fantastic college player.

Last edited:
You've been a little high strung this go around. Everything okay? Seems like your taking everything pretty personal

I'm great. These are fun. The point is to discuss the players and teams. That's what we're doing.

Yeah I don’t bait. Just going with my gut. You’ve got a good team. Could go either way.
Saying that one of the most straight shooters on the board in @Aike is baiting is asinine. He’s throwing out everything but the kitchen sink in this draft as always. Especially so in this matchup in particular.

Sure am glad I’m around to debate. If not, he would paint my team to be worse than an elementary school team. He’s said at least three non accurate statements in this thread alone.

Gonzo undervaluing Doron Lamb as a college player. I think there are a lot of combinations of players that Lamb would be the perfect fit with in this format. He’s one of the best floor stretchers of all time.

undervaluing? Good grief lol. You can't undervalue a guy who was the fourth or fifth best player on his own team in a draft of ALL TIME great college players. That's absurd.

He averaged 13 points, under three rebounds and under two assists. He was never even all conference.

He should not have been drafted in this format. He's not even as good as a guy like Luke Kennard, who was nowhere near anyone's draft board, I can promise you.

undervaluing? Good grief lol. You can't undervalue a guy who was the fourth or fifth best player on his own team in a draft of ALL TIME great college players. That's absurd.

He averaged 13 points, under three rebounds and under two assists. He was never even all conference.

He should not have been drafted in this format. He's not even as good as a guy like Luke Kennard, who was nowhere near anyone's draft board, I can promise you.
Wasn’t as good as Kennard?! You surely can’t be serious! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Saying that one of the most straight shooters on the board in @Aike is baiting is asinine. He’s throwing out everything but the kitchen sink in this draft as always. Especially so in this matchup in particular.

Sure am glad I’m around to debate. If not, he would paint my team to be worse than an elementary school team. He’s said at least three non accurate statements in this thread alone.

I told you you drafted several guys who shouldn't have been drafted. That's true.

But if all American teams and stats and accolades don't count, and all that matters is your nostalgiac personal scouting report, sure. Keep setting me straight.

I told you you drafted several guys who shouldn't have been drafted. That's true.

But if all American teams and stats and accolades don't count, and all that matters is your nostalgiac personal scouting report, sure. Keep setting me straight.
Sure, okay. Zion missed half the time with injury. Because half of 38 is 5. Ja Morant was an AA as a freshman, except it was his second college season. 🤔

Think I match up nicely here. Draymond is better equipped than anyone to slow Zion down AND make Zion play defense on the other end.

I love Bam, but he's a bit small to guard KAT and doesn't give you a ton offensively.

MKG can't shoot at all and Durant is just too long and athletic for him to drive on.

I'd put Oladipo on Shabazz and let the DPOY lock him up.

Lamb is mostly a catch and shoot guy and too slow to stay in front of Oladipo or Lawson.

Kawhi and Booker werent Kawhi and Booker in college. Kawhi was an atrocious shooter and Booker couldn't guard a fence post.

Bagley is his only other big and he's a finesse guy. No one to handle KAT, Aldridge, Collison in the paint.

Did you lose? Sounds like you lost....

Reactions: STL_Cat
I'll do it for you:

Lamb- 13.7 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 0.5 steals 47% from 3. zero all conference or all American selections.

Kennard: 19.5 points, 5.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 0.8 steals, 44% from 3. All ACC. Consensus All American.

You WATCHED one of them play. You LIKE him more. He was not a better or more accomplished player. He was just here when Anthony Davis was.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I'll do it for you:

Lamb- 13.7 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 0.5 steals 47% from 3. zero all conference or all American selections.

Kennard: 19.5 points, 5.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 0.8 steals, 44% from 3. All ACC. Consensus All American.

You WATCHED one of them play. You LIKE him more. He was not a better or more accomplished player. He was just here when Anthony Davis was.
Cool. Now do their careers. He shot the ball much worse over two seasons, especially his freshman season. Pretty neat that you took Kennard’s sophomore shooting stats and compared them to Lamb’s freshman shooting stats. 😂

Hey thanks for contributing like always. We value the basketball analysis you bring to the board.

I did analyze... (It's nice to be a "we", I never got that far to speak for others.) looks like you lost but I could be wrong. Do I owe you anything? Do I owe the board anything? Oh... Be Good

Oh, "A man's got to know his limitations." Some never learn that... (Not you though...) Be Good again. ;)

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Cool. Now do their careers. He shot the ball much worse over two seasons, especially his freshman season. Pretty neat that you took Kennard’s sophomore shooting stats and compared them to Lamb’s freshman shooting stats. 😂

Every stat I've given through this whole process was from a guy's best (usually last) season.

Or did you want the Shabazz Napier who shot 32% from three and averaged 7 points per game?

Which year did Lamb score 20 and earn all conference and all American honors? I mean listen to yourself man. We're discussing basketball here.

Every stat I've given through this whole process was from a guy's best (usually last) season.

Or did you want the Shabazz Napier who shot 32% from three and averaged 7 points per game?

Which year did Lamb score 20 and earn all conference and all American honors? I mean listen to yourself man. We're discussing basketball here.
Ahhh I stand corrected. I thought he shot 49% his sophomore season, so my apologies. Anyway, do their career stats, since they both played two seasons.

Not to mention, Kennard played more minutes and shot the ball much more than did Lamb. By the way, I watched a lot of Kennard. I don’t think he was a better college player than Lamb.

Because you're a Kentucky fan. But it's objectively false. You may like Green Eggs and Ham because it makes you think of childhood memories, but consensus opinion among educated people says it's not as good as Shakespeare.

The point of this thing was to discuss the best college players of the last 20 years. You may have taken the best ones you remember. But people who know more about this than either of us disagree with you.

You're in luck though. This board doesn't watch basketball either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT