POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shouldn’t the market decide on this one?
Hopefully fiscal responsibility wins out on that. Doubt it. Those people are in those cushy jobs to politically help the superintendent keep their cushy job.

The superintendent of JCPS is responsible for a budget of $1.1 B. You need a talented person in that job, and that's going to cost you a pretty hefty salary.

Reactions: fuzz77
Give in to merit based raises and put in more days teaching throughout the year (summer time helping students who struggle in the regular school days) and we could see their point. Teachers get almost as much time off as politicians.
Warrior,
I agree with probably 99% of what you post. As a former educator, I will use response to your post add a bit of factual information to this thread.

Teachers do, indeed, have a 185 day contract +/- a day or so. They are paid only for the days they work with the exception of 4 paid holidays per year. A new teacher, with a Bachelor's degree and no experience earns approximately $200 a day. That equates to a salary of $37000 per year. Not bad. They get no paid vacation days. At a rate of $200 per day, they would make around $50K if they worked "regular" jobs. The reality of the problem for people entering that profession is that "life" costs the same for a teacher making $200 per day as it does for any other person making $200 per day.
As a former administrator, I can tell you that any teacher that worked only when kids were present didn't make it to year #2. Likewise, teachers that didn't spend hours on weekends and during the summers didn't last long. Granted, in the old days, "good ole boy" administrators i.e...washed up coaches, back-slappers, etc... let some pretty poor people stay in the profession. While it may be going on today, it can't be as bad because stakes have risen so much. You can't be a good admin and be widely loved anymore (like in the old days).

There is a lot of deep seated resentment in the public for educators. Much of it is deserved: the coaches that should have been teaching but talked sports during math class,etc... The teachers that verbally abused kids, etc....Those people should never have been allowed in the profession.

I'm for a fair system that will attract the best and brightest to the profession. To do so, like someone offered, we need to make teaching a full-year job....and pay for a full year's work . That won't EVER happen because the public will never agree to fund it.
Respectfully,
ram

Warrior,
I agree with probably 99% of what you post. As a former educator, I will use response to your post add a bit of factual information to this thread.

Teachers do, indeed, have a 185 day contract +/- a day or so. They are paid only for the days they work with the exception of 4 paid holidays per year. A new teacher, with a Bachelor's degree and no experience earns approximately $200 a day. That equates to a salary of $37000 per year. Not bad. They get no paid vacation days. At a rate of $200 per day, they would make around $50K if they worked "regular" jobs. The reality of the problem for people entering that profession is that "life" costs the same for a teacher making $200 per day as it does for any other person making $200 per day.
As a former administrator, I can tell you that any teacher that worked only when kids were present didn't make it to year #2. Likewise, teachers that didn't spend hours on weekends and during the summers didn't last long. Granted, in the old days, "good ole boy" administrators i.e...washed up coaches, back-slappers, etc... let some pretty poor people stay in the profession. While it may be going on today, it can't be as bad because stakes have risen so much. You can't be a good admin and be widely loved anymore (like in the old days).

There is a lot of deep seated resentment in the public for educators. Much of it is deserved: the coaches that should have been teaching but talked sports during math class,etc... The teachers that verbally abused kids, etc....Those people should never have been allowed in the profession.

I'm for a fair system that will attract the best and brightest to the profession. To do so, like someone offered, we need to make teaching a full-year job....and pay for a full year's work . That won't EVER happen because the public will never agree to fund it.
Respectfully,
ram
I would be for teaching year round. Some already do. Pay them more and cut some benefits.

Teachers don't get social security because they don't pay into the system like everyone else does at 6.5% of pay plus the employer matches that 6.5%.

I paid into social security before becoming an educator and now pay into it after retiring as an educator. No matter how much I pay or how many quarters I have, I can never draw social security.
This is not a complaint, just a fact.

Reactions: fuzz77
I would be for teaching year round. Some already do. Pay them more and cut some benefits.
As an admin, I always advocated their working full-time. I also advocated having a school year of 11 months vs the required 175 instructional days. People complain now about taxes; they'd never support the increase in taxation that it would take to pay the proportionate salary for a teacher to work a full year.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
Shouldn’t the market decide on this one?

The superintendent of JCPS is responsible for a budget of $1.1 B. You need a talented person in that job, and that's going to cost you a pretty hefty salary.
Exactly. People see salaries of $100K, $150K, $200K and think they are extreme. For the responsibility and budgets they have to manage it's the price you pay.
Those same people have defended private companies paying executives multi-million salaries which filters down to VPs, directors, etc. making mid to high 6 figure salaries. The flip side of that is when private sector salaries rise, public sector salaries must also rise to attract appropriate talent.

Warrior,

Respectfully,
ram
My wife just told me she read that the Oklahoma senate voted Wednesday to a pay increase for teachers here at $6,100.00 a year because of the threat of a walk out next week. They are going to pay for it by taxing gasoline 3 cent a gallon, diesel 6 cent, $1.00 per pack of cigarettes, and eliminating some itemized deductions in our state taxes. Did not really understand that last part. However, with all of that, my wife got a text from the school stating teachers were still going to walk out. Apparently, it was not enough.

That is not sitting well with a lot of people who work and don't make the money teachers do who will now have to pay for someone to watch their children.

Edited for clarity: The pay raise was at %15 and that equated to about $6,100.00 a year on entry level pay.

Last edited:
My wife just told me she read that the Oklahoma senate voted Wednesday to a pay increase for teachers here at $6,100.00 a year because of the threat of a walk out next week. They are going to pay for it by taxing gasoline 3 cent a gallon, diesel 6 cent, $1.00 per pack of cigarettes, and eliminating some itemized deductions in our state taxes. Did not really understand that last part. However, with all of that, my wife got a text from the school stating teachers were still going to walk out. Apparently, it was not enough.

That is not sitting well with a lot of people who work and don't make the money teachers do who will now have to pay for someone to watch their children.

Edited for clarity: The pay raise was at %15 and that equated to about $6,100.00 a year on entry level pay.
Don't know how much ok teachers make. If it's in the same ballpark as Ky teachers, I'd say they should be more than grateful for a $6100 raise. I agree with the public perception thing. They garner no support from the general public when the complain about a generous raise.

Seen OK teachers are the second lowest paid teachers in the nation on average.
They make $42,000 the average median income is $54,000 in state.

IMO horse farms have migrant workers living on their farms and all the workers children get public education. Shouldn't the farms have to pay more taxes?

dog-governor.jpg

Seen OK teachers are the second lowest paid teachers in the nation on average.
They make $42,000 the average median income is $54,000 in state.

IMO horse farms have migrant workers living on their farms and all the workers children get public education. Shouldn't the farms have to pay more taxes?
I think the point was %15 percent raise is not something to shirk at. Me and my wife were not opposed to them getting a raise because if I am not mistaken, they have not had one in about 10 years. Take this, get back to work, then push for more later.

To your point about them being second lowest paid in the nation well, I did not know that but I did know that Oklahoma had been (might still be) rated 49th or 50th in the nation in education. Do a better job then pine for more money. Goes back to my merit based pay suggestion.

So we got fuzzites teaching kids how to be a welching liberal douche who no one likes.

And platinum/dinosaur/bwls2 teaching them about president j Edgar Hoover and SCJ scalise.

And we wonder why they're shooting up schools and suicide rates have gone way up?

This place continues to be an eye-opener for me.

I guess I'll (somehow unironically) add TEACHERS to the list of people who get ragged on in this thread. Yes, I suppose educators fit in well with the liberal lunatics, Muslims, etc. that you guys live to despise.

Do you guys all home-school or something? Private Christian schools?

And you wonder why we're getting our asses kicked by other countries when it comes to research/STEM/? Wait, no...if you're "America First" then you don't give a damn how we stack up against the rest of the world in regards to education. Just get a job, any job, and vote Republican for the rest of your life, I guess. I've seen the idea of going to college get blasted on here, numerous times. LMAO! So, so weak.

The anti-teacher comments in this thread are 100% unsurprising. We don't place an emphasis on educating kids at the highest level. That starts with the government and...uh..."trickles down" to the voters. The value we place on public education needs to be re-examined as soon as we stop giving the military "BILLIONS AND BILLIONS" of dollars every month.

The Bum in Chief actually admitted - on video - that he had no idea what a community college was. This was yesterday.

This place continues to be an eye-opener for me.

I guess I'll (somehow unironically) add TEACHERS to the list of people who get ragged on in this thread. Yes, I suppose educators fit in well with the liberal lunatics, Muslims, etc. that you guys live to despise.

Do you guys all home-school or something? Private Christian schools?

And you wonder why we're getting our asses kicked by other countries when it comes to research/STEM/? Wait, no...if you're "America First" then you don't give a damn how we stack up against the rest of the world in regards to education. Just get a job, any job, and vote Republican for the rest of your life, I guess. I've seen the idea of going to college get blasted on here, numerous times. LMAO! So, so weak.

The anti-teacher comments in this thread are 100% unsurprising. We don't place an emphasis on educating kids at the highest level. That starts with the government and...uh..."trickles down" to the voters. The value we place on public education needs to be re-examined as soon as we stop giving the military "BILLIONS AND BILLIONS" of dollars every month.

The Bum in Chief actually admitted - on video - that he had no idea what a community college was. This was yesterday.
And there you go. Stop keeping those who defend our country safer with better equipment and just let them get killed. Yet you wonder why we oppose you on these other issues. Your ridiculous stance on funding the military and your emotional post on how much is being spent shows your real intentions. Go back to partying bro and please skip all elections.

I think the point was %15 percent raise is not something to shirk at. Me and my wife were not opposed to them getting a raise because if I am not mistaken, they have not had one in about 10 years. Take this, get back to work, then push for more later.

To your point about them being second lowest paid in the nation well, I did not know that but I did know that Oklahoma had been (might still be) rated 49th or 50th in the nation in education. Do a better job then pine for more money. Goes back to my merit based pay suggestion.

Each state is different , not sure of the requirements are beyond a bachelors degree. Seems they want the teachers to have a master's or working toward one.
As for their raises , would be better to spread it out incrementally over years IMO.

Saw an interesting documentary on the Finnish system, which is one the best in the world.
They seem to have much more flexibility in the curriculum and how they present it than in the US. Talked how they have much less administrators, standardized testing and inspections. Considering the country was a backwoods, rural country 60 years ago.

And there you go. Stop keeping those who defend our country safer with better equipment and just let them get killed. Yet you wonder why we oppose you on these other issues. Your ridiculous stance on funding the military and your emotional post on how much is being spent shows your real intentions. Go back to partying bro and please skip all elections.

Bro, do you understand how much freaking money we spend on our military when compared to the rest of the world? I know you do.

We need way more Americans qualified to build world-class weaponry and defense systems in order to be efficient and truly ahead of the game. IMO that starts with a real emphasis on STEM in public schools. Instead, our Commander in Chief is talking about building a goddamn "space force" and thinking its a genius idea while admitting he had no clue what a community college was.

Also, if you thought that last post was "emotional," you should get out more often.

Do you even....

Nevermind.

-the top kids in the US can compete with anyone.

-There is a myriad of opportunity for stem education in Fayette co.(only place I have first hand knowledge). It's up to the parents to pursue it. It's not funding...I wish it were that easy. It's cultural and no amount of govt spending/programs is gonna change it. Education starts at home.

I used to hear the constant whining for more money. When I told the local rep that any teacher who said she'd work harder if given more money should be fired immediately. Whatever you are being paid, you should give it your best. My position with regard to raising salaries was this: The single reason to do anything in education is that it benefits the kids. When it comes then to raising salaries, the primary benefit of doing so would be to attract better candidates. Schools should be competing with Fortune 500 companies for candidates instead of Walmart.

Bro, do you understand how much freaking money we spend on our military when compared to the rest of the world? I know you do.

We need way more Americans qualified to build world-class weaponry and defense systems in order to be efficient and truly ahead of the game. IMO that starts with a real emphasis on STEM in public schools. Instead, our Commander in Chief is talking about building a goddamn "space force" and thinking its a genius idea while admitting he had no clue what a community college was.

Also, if you thought that last post was "emotional," you should get out more often.

Do you even....

Nevermind.
Schools these days are more anti military than in the past so, forget that BS. Money spent defending the country is just as important as any other issue. You want to get military spending down start with contractors and corrupt politicians but, keep the money flowing for the troops and equipment otherwise, I will oppose anything the left would propose.

As far as partying? It is not the most important issue out there however, I will tell you, there are times in my life I have done things while partying that some here probably would not have done. Been there "Bro"

Exactly. People see salaries of $100K, $150K, $200K and think they are extreme. For the responsibility and budgets they have to manage it's the price you pay.
Those same people have defended private companies paying executives multi-million salaries which filters down to VPs, directors, etc. making mid to high 6 figure salaries. The flip side of that is when private sector salaries rise, public sector salaries must also rise to attract appropriate talent.
But dont they have secretaries making like 70k...we are talking about govt here. Bureaucracy always takes over.

And the private sector jobs you speak of...well they are producing their revenue, not taking others money by force. If a CEO, pays himself too much the free market will decide and they won't operate. That's why govt entities are so careless with money, they aren't concerned bc it's not theirs

The sleepy eyed son of a bitch gives his take on Good Friday

Chuck Todd could have easily done some searches and found out a lot more about Good Friday and WHY it is called that. Not only is his text a painfully ignorant misunderstanding by a non-Christian, but it is also disrespectful to Christians. The ignorance part can be forgotten instantly, for anyone with some knowledge of Chuck Todd’s career, it should be expected. I find it particularly disrespectful for one simple reason...Chuck Todd would never write such a frivolous little message on a Muslim holy day or a Hindu holy day etc.

Last edited:
Schools these days are more anti military than in the past so, forget that BS. Money spent defending the country is just as important as any other issue. You want to get military spending down start with contractors and corrupt politicians but, keep the money flowing for the troops and equipment otherwise, I will oppose anything the left would propose.

As far as partying? It is not the most important issue out there however, I will tell you, there are times in my life I have done things while partying that some here probably would not have done. Been there "Bro"
If the intention of reducing military spending is to reduce waste or become more efficient, I have no problem.Having an efficient, strong military is one of if not the main functions of government. But for those types that believe anything other than the fact that the rest of the world is on the side of those holding the power, their whining for reductions is misplaced and simply crazy.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT