POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If there is one place I'm cool with overspending it's education. Unfortunately, education is offensive to some people.

I honestly have no idea what you are even talking about...?

I think you were the one who inferred that teachers just babysit everyone’s snotty nosed kids...maybe that’s an insecurity or something.
They have a job. When they work they get paid. When they don’t work they don’t get paid. Just like almost everyone else except true government employees.

They have a job. When they work they get paid. When they don’t work they don’t get paid. Just like almost everyone else except true government employees.
Yeah. I said they have a job and are paid to do such job. Not sure why you think I would disagree with this.

My bad. You’re free after the 15th though. So actually only 3.5.

lol.

Honestly January isn't too bad. More like 2.5 months at start of the year. Couple weeks over the summer. Then the extended deadlines. That's when I'm really "working". 40 hours a week with networking and whatnot on top of it really is just life at this point, not work.

lol.

Honestly January isn't too bad. More like 2.5 months at start of the year. Couple weeks over the summer. Then the extended deadlines. That's when I'm really "working". 40 hours a week with networking and whatnot on top of it really is just life at this point, not work.
Good for you. You chose well and are an high achiever. You have earned all you receive. I have no problem with it.
I work 3.5-4 days a week, 48 weeks a year so I don’t feel any high ground to tell others how many hours they have to contribute.

I was curious about Kentucky teacher pensions. According to this, the minimum teacher pensions appear to be about 2/3 of their final average salary. This assumes that you only have the minimum 27 years of service (making someone about 50 years old if they started right out of college). That percentage of salary is significantly higher by working just a couple of extra years (work just 30 years and its 75% of average salary; work 35 years and its 87.5%; 40 years and its 100%). No one in the private sector gets anything like that. Wow.

If you meet normal retirement qualifications, you can calculate your likely benefits with the following formula:

Final Average Salary
multiplied by
Total Years of Service
multiplied by
2.5%

So, for example, if you retired after 27 years of service with a final average salary of $60,000, you would receive lifetime monthly payments of $3,375 ($40,500/Yr.). Retirement payments may face reduction depending on whether or not you qualify for normal retirement. Teachers must meet the following requirements to receive unreduced benefits:

• At any age with 27 or more years of service
  • At age 60 with five or more years of service
http://www.teaching-certification.com/salaries-benefits/kentucky-teaching-salaries-and-benefits.html

Last edited:
And I stand by summer office wages - straight from a teacher.

I'd like to hear the 12 month required duties.

Also, Rank 1 doesn't come with a PHD requirement like you previously stated mr. Facts.

So - my first post. HS teacher (non PHD) made 80k. Fact

Teacher friends started at 36-38K and got immediate 2k increases. Fact (now starting pay for rank 3 is $42,700! - could it be that they increased them bc their new pay schedule increased starters and had to get them caught up...possible Mr. Fuzz, doesn't make my statement fiction)

Teachers work 9 months - you agreed, some do.
Dude, Rank 1 is 30 hours above a masters degree. It is basically half way between a Masters and a PhD. I never said it had a PhD requirement. Wife has her Rank 1, daughter has her Masters working on the Rank 1 and my dad was a PhD...I kind of know what I'm talking about in that realm.

I said "For JCPS it requires a minimum of Rank 1 (you probably don't know what that means) to achieve $80K after 17 years of service." meaning that if you have less than a Rank 1 then you can never reach the $80K threshold.

Try to keep up. Teaching salaries are different in each school district so when you go throwing out numbers you have to understand that what is true for one school system isn't necessarily true for another. The top salary obtainable for Boyle County schools is $62,257 for someone with a Rank 1 and 26+ years of service. Danville Independent school district has a top level of $63,145 at 30+ years. Fayette County has a ceiling of $87,077 at 26+ years with a PhD. Harlan County schools have a ceiling of $57,376...

Again...public school salaries are easily searched and found. No need to rely on a friend to tell you.

I was curious about Kentucky teacher pensions. According to this, teacher pensions appear to be about 2/3 of their final average salary. This assumes that you have only 27 years of service (making someone about 50 years old if they started right out of college). No one in the private sector gets anything like that. Wow.

If you meet normal retirement qualifications, you can calculate your likely benefits with the following formula:

Final Average Salary
multiplied by
Total Years of Service
multiplied by
2.5%

So, for example, if you retired after 27 years of service with a final average salary of $60,000, you would receive lifetime monthly payments of $3,375 ($40,500/Yr.).

Retirement payments may face reduction depending on whether or not you qualify for normal retirement. Teachers must meet the following requirements to receive unreduced benefits:

http://www.teaching-certification.com/salaries-benefits/kentucky-teaching-salaries-and-benefits.html
That is because teachers DO NOT GET social security. So they pay a lot more into their pensions than other state employees do. which is why the teachers pension is currently funded at 60% and the rest of the state is funded at 17%. The teachers would be at 80-90% but the state hasn't made their required payments in decades. So now Bevin is going to dry and bleed teachers dry to cover for the rest of the ****ed up state. THIS is why the teachers are so pissed off. They paid their share into the pension and now it is being stolen and they are being labeled as lazy thugs.

If there is one place I'm cool with overspending it's education. Unfortunately, education is offensive to some people.

Education is very cool, unfortunately a lot of the funding is spent unwisely.

I don't think anyone here has a problem spending money on education.

Exactly. Spending not the issue. Return on investment is. This money is being thrown to the wind.

Also kicking the pension can down the road just makes it that much worse. Gravy trains run dry folks. No more money for exorbitant defined benefit plans. Time to join reality like the rest of us

Reactions: screwduke1
That is because teachers DO NOT GET social security. So they pay a lot more into their pensions than other state employees do. which is why the teachers pension is currently funded at 60% and the rest of the state is funded at 17%. The teachers would be at 80-90% but the state hasn't made their required payments in decades. So now Bevin is going to dry and bleed teachers dry to cover for the rest of the ****ed up state. THIS is why the teachers are so pissed off. They paid their share into the pension and now it is being stolen and they are being labeled as lazy thugs.

Teachers don't get social security because they don't pay into the system like everyone else does at 6.5% of pay plus the employer matches that 6.5%.

I was curious about Kentucky teacher pensions. According to this, teacher pensions appear to be about 2/3 of their final average salary. This assumes that you only have the minmum 27 years of service (making someone about 50 years old if they started right out of college). Percentage would be higher by working a couple of extra years. No one in the private sector gets anything like that. Wow.

Final Average Salary
multiplied by
Total Years of Service
multiplied by
2.5%

So, for example, if you retired after 27 years of service with a final average salary of $60,000, you would receive lifetime monthly payments of $3,375 ($40,500/Yr.). Retirement payments may face reduction depending on whether or not you qualify for normal retirement. Teachers must meet the following requirements to receive unreduced benefits:

Teachers are also required to contribute 13% of their salary into that pension fund and they are not eligible for Social Security. Daughter teaches in Tennessee where they are required to contribute 5% of salary and get 1.5% per year of service but then they do get Social Security.

Compensation is always a game of trade-offs. Teachers receive relative low pay given their educational requirements but are compensated perhaps a bit more on the back end. But without Social Security their pension is about the same as would be expected if they put their 13% in a 401K for the same # of years and were able to draw SocSec.

I've never met a teacher who thought they were overpaid. I've met plenty of teachers who quit the profession because it simply didn't pay enough for the job they were asked to do.

So you think $40K/yr to retire upon is easy street?

Good for you. You chose well and are an high achiever. You have earned all you receive. I have no problem with it.
I work 3.5-4 days a week, 48 weeks a year so I don’t feel any high ground to tell others how many hours they have to contribute.

If my tax dollars are paying them, I do feel I should have a say in the hours people contribute.

Reactions: screwduke1
Teachers are also required to contribute 13% of their salary into that pension fund and they are not eligible for Social Security. Daughter teaches in Tennessee where they are required to contribute 5% of salary and get 1.5% per year of service but then they do get Social Security.

Compensation is always a game of trade-offs. Teachers receive relative low pay given their educational requirements but are compensated perhaps a bit more on the back end. But without Social Security their pension is about the same as would be expected if they put their 13% in a 401K for the same # of years and were able to draw SocSec.

I've never met a teacher who thought they were overpaid. I've met plenty of teachers who quit the profession because it simply didn't pay enough for the job they were asked to do.

That $40,000 is a minimum figure for 27 years service. The teacher that I know is 50 and makes $73,500 (from the public database). If he works 40 years (age 61-62), his pension would be 100% of that $73,500. That's good money for a retiree. Doesn't make you rich though.

In the private sector, the often quoted goal with a 401k is to shoot for 50% of income replacement. Depending on how much you make, social security is worth another 25%-30%. That is a total of 75%-80% of pay vs. 100% for my example teacher. So I would say that is a pretty rich benefit plus the teacher's rate of return is guaranteed. Someone with a 401k could loose a big chuck of it if they invest poorly.

Dude, Rank 1 is 30 hours above a masters degree. It is basically half way between a Masters and a PhD. I never said it had a PhD requirement. Wife has her Rank 1, daughter has her Masters working on the Rank 1 and my dad was a PhD...I kind of know what I'm talking about in that realm.

I said "For JCPS it requires a minimum of Rank 1 (you probably don't know what that means) to achieve $80K after 17 years of service." meaning that if you have less than a Rank 1 then you can never reach the $80K threshold.

Try to keep up. Teaching salaries are different in each school district so when you go throwing out numbers you have to understand that what is true for one school system isn't necessarily true for another. The top salary obtainable for Boyle County schools is $62,257 for someone with a Rank 1 and 26+ years of service. Danville Independent school district has a top level of $63,145 at 30+ years. Fayette County has a ceiling of $87,077 at 26+ years with a PhD. Harlan County schools have a ceiling of $57,376...

Again...public school salaries are easily searched and found. No need to rely on a friend to tell you.
Oh, I’m keeping up. Gets a little confusing when the goalposts end up out of the stadium, but I’m up.

“In Fayette County you need xxx and a PHD to get 80k” You brought up the PhD dude...

When I said “I had a teacher” I was discussing the teacher I freakin had. I never said every teacher in the world makes 80k you freakin goober. When I speak of the 36-38k, those are personal friends who started out of college. Nobody had trouble with the concept of sharing personal experience except you...which is ironic.

Exactly. Spending not the issue. Return on investment is. This money is being thrown to the wind.

Also kicking the pension can down the road just makes it that much worse. Gravy trains run dry folks. No more money for exorbitant defined benefit plans. Time to join reality like the rest of us
The problem is that the state failed to pay into the pension fund the recommended contributions calculated by the actuaries. The biggest problem with that being that it costs a lot more later than it does today due to the future value of money and compound interest. They have lost the investment return on the money they should have contributed.

There is the old lesson that if you saved $100/mo from age 20 to age 30 and stopped and never saved another penny you would still have more money at age 65 than someone who started saving $100/mo at age 30 and continued to save the rest of their life assuming a 10% rate of return.

The problem is that the state failed to pay into the pension fund the recommended contributions calculated by the actuaries. The biggest problem with that being that it costs a lot more later than it does today due to the future value of money and compound interest. They have lost the investment return on the money they should have contributed.

That is how we got here. How we get out is two fold. Cutting liabilities by placing new teachers on defined contribution plans and thinning out the ridiculously bloated administration expenses/salaries that's soaking up ridiculous amounts of money.

Raising revenue through additional taxation. Preferably legalizing marijuana.

However the increased taxation should only be considered if the financial cuts don't solve the problem.

29572577_1455527867892908_8171100492861569709_n.jpg
Bernie really said that? Lol wow.

That is how we got here. How we get out is two fold. Cutting liabilities by placing new teachers on defined contribution plans and thinning out the ridiculously bloated administration expenses/salaries that's soaking up ridiculous amounts of money.

Raising revenue through additional taxation. Preferably legalizing marijuana.

However the increased taxation should only be considered if the financial cuts don't solve the problem.
But they are trying to cut pensions for existing teachers and retirees and not even considering additional revenue streams. They are also trying to push the cost down the local level requiring them to make additional payments into the KTRS...to make them do the dirty work of having to raising taxes. Wealthy counties and districts may have no problem with this but poorer school districts will.

Are you ever going to post something that isn't mind numbingly stupid?

Reactions: Willy4UK
FYI, with regards to Obamacare (ACA) there were...
14 bipartisan roundtables of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee
13 bipartisan hearings of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee
20 bipartisan walkthroughs of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee
53 meetings and negotiations of the Finance Committee
17 roundtables, summits of the Finance Committee
13 days of markups

all over 35 weeks, 169 hours... but keep believing

"Congress ultimately passed a Senate bill that nobody wanted, and, indeed, that likely no one had read in its entirety when the Senate passed it, and that certainly no one fully understood. Senator Max Baucus, one of Obamacare’s chief architects, not only acknowledged not reading the bill, but opined that it would have been a “waste of time” to do so, because only experts could understand it…."

Do I need to bring up the Nancy Pelosi video stating that "we need to voted it in to see what is in it.

Jeez you are too easily fooled.

There is the old lesson that if you saved $100/mo from age 20 to age 30 and stopped and never saved another penny you would still have more money at age 65 than someone who started saving $100/mo at age 30 and continued to save the rest of their life assuming a 10% rate of return.
Do we have any examples of what the state used the money for instead of funding the teacher pensions?

But they are trying to cut pensions for existing teachers and retirees and not even considering additional revenue streams. They are also trying to push the cost down the local level requiring them to make additional payments into the KTRS...to make them do the dirty work of having to raising taxes. Wealthy counties and districts may have no problem with this but poorer school districts will.

I don't see any effort to cut existing pensions. If they try to cut pensions to new teachers (let's say five years or less of service) then I think it's still a good plan. Sacrifice must happen somewhere.

On pushing costs down - I agree the effect it WILL have is an increase in taxation which I vehemently oppose. The effect it SHOULD have is the cutting of alot of administrative jobs at these boards where about 75% of those people do nothing yet make exorbitant salaries.

Hopefully fiscal responsibility wins out on that. Doubt it. Those people are in those cushy jobs to politically help the superintendent keep their cushy job.

21 trillion missing from DOD and HUD but lets have class warfare to keep us distracted this week. Guns and abortions last week. Probably race and religion next week.

Divide and conquer the useful idiots to keep them distracted from human trafficking, drug trafficking, weapons and endless wars to launder dirty money through the Federal Reserve to keep the printers running.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT